The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say if someone said I had to predict...I say we do the following:

Win 3 of these 5 - NYG, CAR, TB, CHI, LAC

Likely lose these - PIT, KC, DET, MIN
They need 4 more wins to get to my 7 prediction. To me they need to go 4-0 in the possible win games. CAR- CHI- MIN - NYG.
GPG. IMO. Of course a couple of more opponents losing their starting QBs would help. 2 of their 3 wins this year have been against backups. NYG will be without their starter and possibly his back up. Min will be without their starter. CHI may or may not have the back up playing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need 4 more wins to get to my 7 prediction. To me they need to go 4-0 in the possible win games. CAR- CHI- MIN - NYG.
GPG. IMO. Of course a couple of more opponents losing their starting QBs would help. 2 of their 3 wins this year have been against backups. NYG will be without their starter and possibly his back up. Min will be without their starter. CHI may or may not have the back up playing.

You know what I spaced it about Kousins is gone...I'd say I do feel they win four of these six NYG, CAR, TB, CHI, LAC and MIN

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a first year player @AmishMafia. He had 3 years to hone his craft. I think everyone knew Rodgers was checked out last season. Rodgers is gone. I'm discussing Jordan Love's play.
And Rodgers had 18 years to hone his craft - and still - Love is playing better right now than a first ballot HOFer with 2 recent back to back MVPs with roughly the same team but still few a few key losses.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do hate the comparisons of any kind. Love has a lot to prove to me, but he also has a lot of time to do it. IMO.
Fun or not so fun fact. Through 9 weeks the GB opponents have a combined record of 32-38. Through 9 weeks their 2022 opponents had a record of 41-28. Oh darn, my bad, I forgot I hate comparisons.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only 8 more wins for me!

Of course we probably only really need 6, sneak into the playoffs and win a couple more in post season. That counts, right?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do hate the comparisons of any kind. Love has a lot to prove to me, but he also has a lot of time to do it. IMO.
Fun or not so fun fact. Through 9 weeks the GB opponents have a combined record of 32-38. Through 9 weeks their 2022 opponents had a record of 41-28. Oh darn, my bad, I forgot I hate comparisons.

Yup, and defensively ranking wise, the 2022 defenses through eight games were of better caliber...granted the Broncos defense is still a bit of an outlier that moves this year's needle a lot but I believe even if you remove them it is still the case.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Way underthrown and this is not the first time. It is habit on his deep balls. I'm judging him by what I see on the field. He had plenty of time in the pocket to make this pass. As is with everyone, I'm not wishing for failure here. I would love to see him succeed and the Packers be a contender. Again, I also don't want to waste the next couple of seasons on a QB who is just going to be middling. And the debate continues! GPG!
I wonder if, in practice, he winds up and really steps into the deep balls which would tend to travel further. In the game, the arm is a bit tired and he can only step and throw without the windup so he doesn't get the same distance. For the windup idea, look into the Rodgers -> Rodgers hail Mary vs the Lions a few seasons back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here’s another example of why I don’t think Love will make it.
Watch the progression, there is a second angle in the all 22 and it makes it more apparent. What I want to know is for sure the progression, Wicks late happens a lot late in a play but I’m curious what Watson was. If he was the first or second I think he has to see and hit. If he was third by that time it was too late likely.

I’ll try to see if I can find it and watch tomorrow and see if it is clear or not to progression. Like the guy in the tweet said he doesn’t know the progression. Is it good either way, no, but it for sure is far less terrible if progression had Watson initially one of the last and Wicks yet again making things happen late if not there early.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He's not a first year player @AmishMafia. He had 3 years to hone his craft. I think everyone knew Rodgers was checked out last season. Rodgers is gone. I'm discussing Jordan Love's play.
He hasn't had game experience.

You can study any book for any task. But until you are in the actual real world to apply your book studies it can take some time to get it right.

I've said it b4. Some can do it right away. Some need time. And some never get it.

You really hate love we get it

But get used to it..he isnt going anywhere

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have faith in that with more reps those things will be processed faster mentally.

At this point of his development, I'm way more concerned with deep pass accuracy than reads/holding the ball

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Rodgers took stupod sacks all the time. Would miss his ck offs last few years. It's well documented here how bad he would miss ck offs and take un needed sacks.

Get off the love hatred already. He isn't going anywhere
Yeah, I'm not talking about Rodgers. I also don't hate Love. I actually don't hate anyone.

Krabs

Reaction score
He hasn't had game experience.

You can study any book for any task. But until you are in the actual real world to apply your book studies it can take some time to get it right.

I've said it b4. Some can do it right away. Some need time. And some never get it.

You really hate love we get it

But get used to it..he isnt going anywhere
I do not hate Love. I don't think he is a good QB. I know he is not going anywhere. I've said this myself. This is the Jordan Love thread where people discuss Jordan Love. You do not need to read my opinion if you don't like it.

Krabs

Reaction score
Watch the progression, there is a second angle in the all 22 and it makes it more apparent. What I want to know is for sure the progression, Wicks late happens a lot late in a play but I’m curious what Watson was. If he was the first or second I think he has to see and hit. If he was third by that time it was too late likely.

I’ll try to see if I can find it and watch tomorrow and see if it is clear or not to progression. Like the guy in the tweet said he doesn’t know the progression. Is it good either way, no, but it for sure is far less terrible if progression had Watson initially one of the last and Wicks yet again making things happen late if not there early.
I think this is all part of reading the defense prior to the snap. This should be part of the 3 year training period that Love got to have. I get it though, if one misreads presnap a QB really only has about 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. I'm more worried about the inaccurate throws and the underthrown deep balls. There's just a lot for Love to work on. Good thing he will be given this entire season to be evaluated.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typically you get more overthrows than underthrows. Guys are amped up a bit and put more hutzpah into it. So it is puzzling why he underthrows. He certainly has enough arm and a WR who is difficult to overthrow.

I think Love has a good shot to make it. Next season, with a new franchise LT and a new center, another year of experience for our WRs, I think things will look much better. He seems to understand the game, is a great leader, and has a great arm. All he needs is more gametime experience with the receiver corps.

I am excited for his future.

As far as comparisons to other QBs, it's a context thing. Both Favre and Rodgers were far from finished products in the beginning.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m curious what Watson was. If he was the first or second I think he has to see and hit. If he was third by that time it was too late likely.

No matter where Watson was in the progression he should gotten the ball there. He was right in the middle of the field no way Love wouldn't see that. And with all that space Watson might have taken that slant to the endzone.

Just because the play is designed for someone else doesn't mean you dont take advantage of what the defense gives you. The progression is a suggestion not a rule

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typically you get more overthrows than underthrows. Guys are amped up a bit and put more hutzpah into it. So it is puzzling why he underthrows. He certainly has enough arm and a WR who is difficult to overthrow.

I think Love has a good shot to make it. Next season, with a new franchise LT and a new center, another year of experience for our WRs, I think things will look much better. He seems to understand the game, is a great leader, and has a great arm. All he needs is more gametime experience with the receiver corps.

As far as comparisons to other QBs, it's a context thing. Both Favre and Rodgers were far from finished products in the beginning.
I believe the short throws comes from what Rodgers did. When Rodgers wasn't comfortable throwing the ball, he'd often throw it low, where only his receiver could get it. That's what kept his INT rate down. He didn't make too many risky throws.

If you watch, you'll see that the Packer receivers are starting to catch on to this tactic. It's not a bad strategy. But, it does appear that Love may do it a little more often than reasonable. But, I'm not certain, based on the fact that they're all learning to adjust to each other on the field.

Krabs

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the really odd thing. Put that ball in the back of the endzone. It's harder to overthrow Watson than underthrow. Put it out there man!
While it would not be a glamorous pick, they do need to reload on the offensive line. I think they hit on Tom. Myers is just a dude. Jenkins is solid, but has regressed a bit probably due to injury. He's more than serviceable though. Newman could be replaced, but Rhyan actually played okay. It's really more the LT position that needs revamping, but I would take depth as well.
I'm excited for his future as well. As a backup. :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter where Watson was in the progression he should gotten the ball there. He was right in the middle of the field no way Love wouldn't see that. And with all that space Watson might have taken that slant to the endzone.

Just because the play is designed for someone else doesn't mean you dont take advantage of what the defense gives you. The progression is a suggestion not a rule
I think you guys grossly oversimplify an extremely hard and quick thing reading a defense in a dropback, anticipating both coverage and rush, while also trying to feel pressure…not to mention often times looking through mountain lineman as well.

There is a reason amazing QBs get massive money

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Logically the short patterns would be early reads with th longer developing routes being later in the progression. To the left were reads 1 (Doubs) & 2 (Watson) both short of 1st down mark. Wicks at the 30 would've been #3 & was open, past the 1st down AND prior to the pressure on Love. I think Love left his early reads too quickly & focused on the 2 deep patterns to the right, which weren't open.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just struggle to see how you can say we are wasting the good young talent elsewhere by using him....the rest of the young talent on the team is just as inconsistent. Pick any rookie or second year guy and man some times they look like legit starters in the NFL, other times they look like the CFL is more their speed.
Man. Last year Rodgers made Watson look like he would be an all pro. This year he is practically invisible. So far he and Love have little to no chemistry. Although the catch Watson made in the last game was a thing of beauty.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you guys grossly oversimplify an extremely hard and quick thing reading a defense in a dropback, anticipating both coverage and rush, while also trying to feel pressure…not to mention often times looking through mountain lineman as well.

There is a reason amazing QBs get massive money
Yes. The thing is, Love may have read the defense, knew the coverage, and then a defender just blew his coverage. So the guy who should have been open was covered and Watson should have been covered but wasn't. This all happens at the 0.8 second mark so you have to recalibrate and decipher the blown coverage.

Additionally, Love had a full pocket - nine 6'4"+ behemoths blocking his view. He is also at field view, it is sure easier to spot the open guy from up in the stands on the sides - a perspective which gives us the exact depth of the defenders - not so obvious for the QB.

Members online

No members online now.