The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
1st season
53.3% 13TD 20INT
37.1% rating
:eek:

57.7% 11TD 8INT
43.4% QB rating

63.9% 18TD 12INT
42.4% rating

60.8% 6TD 5INT
51.2 rating

57.7% 26TD 28INT!
Passer rating? 44.5%

60.0% 14 TD 12 INT
47.1% rating

Which ones above were your HOF you listed?
Which one is Love??

How about Brett Favre’s STARTING 2nd season?

60.9% 19TD 24INT
That’s with Robert Brooks and and a bonafide WR1 in Sterling Sharpe!!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st season
53.3% 13TD 20INT
37.1% rating

57.7% 11TD 8INT
43.4% QB rating

63.9% 18TD 12INT
42.4% rating

60.8% 6TD 5INT
51.2 rating

57.7% 26TD 28INT!
Passer rating? 44.5%

60.0% 14 TD 12 INT
47.1% rating

Which ones were your HOF?
Which one is Love??

I’ve shared similar, some don’t care and would believe we should just cut him clean now

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
and when I look across those we see teams with great Defenses. How many of those SB’s were won with a Defense ranked outside the
top 16?
top 10?

Also. You cant claim to know any of those you named were HOF QB’s after 8 starts. So why should we all believe you if you say they weren’t going to be after 8 starts?
I agreed with you that a team needs to be balanced. A team needs to have a good defense to win the Super Bowl. I'm also of the impression that if a team has an elite QB their percentages are much higher of winning a Super Bowl.

1st season
53.3% 13TD 20INT
37.1% rating

57.7% 11TD 8INT
43.4% QB rating

63.9% 18TD 12INT
42.4% rating

60.8% 6TD 5INT
51.2 rating

57.7% 26TD 28INT!
Passer rating? 44.5%

60.0% 14 TD 12 INT
47.1% rating

Which ones were your HOF?
Which one is Love??

I haven’t even added Brett Favre you’ll be shocked. His 2nd season?

60.9% 19TD 24INT
That’s with Robert Brooks and and a bonafide WR1 in Sterling Sharpe!!
and a highly veteran OL
Did any of them win the Super Bowl that season? Were any of them elite or have a top defense?

Regardless of stats, Love is our QB this season. I'm already moving on from him and looking forward to draft. Sad to say this early in the season. I'm not sure the anger from my opinion. I have not seen anything that makes me think that Love is a starting QB in the league, let alone elite. I don't believe he is going to take the Packers to the promised land. If that is the case, they should draft a QB in this coming draft. Out of Favre and Rodgers one could see there were special moments. Love is inaccurate and can't throw the deep ball. Be mad if you want, but I've seen more than enough to not want to see anymore of Jordan Love.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t keep a written record but I only had five off hand where I clearly thought he missed a deeper open option that looked like his first or second read.
For the whole year? For the last game? Seems like a whole lot to me for one game.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I missed it, didn’t this whole conversation begin with the notion that Love didn’t need to be elite for us to win a Super Bowl so long as the defense is good enough? In that scenario, if Love is meant to be the “average QB” paired with an elite defense, it would perhaps make sense to not start out with a QB who was supposed to be an offensive guru and a defensive coordinator who’s previous DC experience was heading up one of the worst defenses in league history…

It just doesn’t pass the smell test. If our plan was “let’s put together an elite defense and we won’t need an Aaron Rodgers-level QB to be successful” and we decided the best way to execute that plan was to trade up to draft our “doesn’t need to be elite QB,” have him coached by an “offensive mastermind” HC, surround him with the least experienced offense in the league, and on the other side give perhaps the costliest defense in the league (draft capital+cash spent) to a proven awful DC…. Then whoever came up with that plan needs fired yesterday lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the whole year? For the last game? Seems like a whole lot to me for one game.
Sorry last game. I’d have to go back and see if some of those were ones where he hit his first read and the deeper one I saw open shouldn’t be held against him if the shorter was first read or was a quick throw play call

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is here this year and most of next

those wishing different it ain’t happening
I’m beginning to think the biggest reason for this is because I won’t have one of the first two picks. I believe bears pick their choice of Williams and or Maye. Someone else will have the second pick and likely trade it to someone or pick the other. Gute isn’t trading a ton just one year in on love to go get another.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m beginning to think the biggest reason for this is because I won’t have one of the first two picks.

I think #6 is about the best they will get for draft order. AZ, Carolina, Chicago, NYG and NE I think are worse. If, and maybe a big if, they get their 1st half offensive woes squared away I think there is another 4 wins out there with the teams they play.

Reaction score
Love is here this year and most of next

those wishing different it ain’t happening
As he should be.
It actually surprised me that even with that QB list someone presented that I just looked for curiosity sake… the majority of that Super Bowl QB list were not very good in their 1st starting season. Let’s look closer at the only standout first seasons.

2018 Mahomes had around him

RB, Kareem Hunt 1,200 All purpose/ 14 TD all-purpose.
AP-1 WR, Tyreek Hill 1,550 yards
AP-1 TE, Travis Kelce 1,330 yards
LT, Probowl Eric Fisher
RT, AP-1 Mitchell Schwartz

I think it was Russell Wilson who also started somewhat fast.
Russell at least started with
WR, Golden Tate (3rd year)
WR, Sydney Rice (6th year)
TE, Zach Miller (6th year)
AP1 RB (Marshawn Lynch)
AP1 Center (Unger)
Probowl LT (Okung)

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is just so, so, SO bad at throwing the deep ball (typing this after he horribly underthrew a WIDE OPEN Watson that would have been a TD with an average deep ball passer). Tyreek Hill would be absolutely wasted with Love at QB.

Yeah I cant understand his propensity to underthrow. He has the arm, if its just a matter of throwing the ball earlier. id assume that could be corrected with coaching. Im not really getting it.

He seems to be afraid of throwing it out of the endzone. Forgetting Watson is 6'4 with a 38 in vertical or whatever

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I cant understand his propensity to underthrow. He has the arm, if its just a matter of throwing the ball earlier. id assume that could be corrected with coaching. Im not really getting it.

He seems to be afraid of throwing it out of the endzone. Forgetting Watson is 6'4 with a 38 in vertical or whatever
I think he throws short intentionally because he doesn't trust his receivers well enough to be where they should be. He's avoiding INTs by doing it. He's also making sure that only his receivers can get to the ball. He saw Rodgers do it so often, and it worked, but he hasn't mastered the height of where the ball should be yet. His are still grass burners.

Good or bad, that's up to the viewer. To me, if you can't count on the receivers to win 50/50s, or run the right routes, what's a better option?

That's not condoning it as a way to move the ball down the field. Just saying it seems to be what he's doing. The difference, between his and Rodgers throws is that Rodgers did it when there was no other option that was reasonably safe, Love does it as a matter of choice, more often.

Krabs

Reaction score
As he should be.
It actually surprised me that even with that QB list someone presented that I just looked for curiosity sake… the majority of that Super Bowl QB list were not very good in their 1st starting season. Let’s look closer at the only standout first seasons.

2018 Mahomes had around him

RB, Kareem Hunt 1,200 All purpose/ 14 TD all-purpose.
AP-1 WR, Tyreek Hill 1,550 yards
AP-1 TE, Travis Kelce 1,330 yards
LT, Probowl Eric Fisher
RT, AP-1 Mitchell Schwartz

I think it was Russell Wilson who also started somewhat fast.
Russell at least started with
WR, Golden Tate (3rd year)
WR, Sydney Rice (6th year)
TE, Zach Miller (6th year)
AP1 RB (Marshawn Lynch)
AP1 Center (Unger)
Probowl LT (Okung)
I guess for me, and this is all just opinion, it feels the same as Justin Fields. People just keep making excuses for why he is bad. I mean, he's just bad. He's inaccurate and can't throw the deep at all. I was at the game yesterday and we could see open wide receivers down field and he is just not even trying to stretch the field. When he does, the ball is underthrown. It would drive me nuts if I were Christian Watson. One play Watson was streaking up the field and had his man beat. Love checked down to Dillon for like a 1-2 yard gain. It just seems the same excuses are being made for Fields. He doesn't have the talent around him. Look at his offensive line. Sure, a team needs to be well rounded to win. However, why keep making excuses for bad QB play? Love is our QB for the rest of this season. There is no doubt about that. I wouldn't mind just seeing what Clifford has to offer. I'm sure it isn't as good as Love. I know that isn't going to happen. Love has about as long a leash as a QB can have in the league. Can we stop with the comparisons and just say it like it is? Right now Love is ranked in 22nd in QBR in the NFL according to ESPN. He is ranked there due to his play. His PAA ranks 21st in the league at -3, meaning he is a below average QB. Regardless of the situation he is in and the comparisons made, his play has been bad.

Now, some are willing to cut him some slack due to the lack of talent around him or due to his lack of experience. Fair enough. That's all valid. As I said, he's the Packers 2023 QB and possibly 2024. From what I have seen he just doesn't have it. His play speaks for itself. I'm hopeful that the front office sees this as well and they move on. I hope he proves me wrong and Love is the next in line of great QBs. I'm calling it like I see it and what the numbers say. I just don't want to waste more seasons figuring out that he isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess for me, and this is all just opinion, it feels the same as Justin Fields. People just keep making excuses for why he is bad. I mean, he's just bad. He's inaccurate and can't throw the deep at all. I was at the game yesterday and we could see open wide receivers down field and he is just not even trying to stretch the field. When he does, the ball is underthrown. It would drive me nuts if I were Christian Watson. One play Watson was streaking up the field and had his man beat. Love checked down to Dillon for like a 1-2 yard gain. It just seems the same excuses are being made for Fields. He doesn't have the talent around him. Look at his offensive line. Sure, a team needs to be well rounded to win. However, why keep making excuses for bad QB play? Love is our QB for the rest of this season. There is no doubt about that. I wouldn't mind just seeing what Clifford has to offer. I'm sure it isn't as good as Love. I know that isn't going to happen. Love has about as long a leash as a QB can have in the league. Can we stop with the comparisons and just say it like it is? Right now Love is ranked in 22nd in QBR in the NFL according to ESPN. He is ranked there due to his play. His PAA ranks 21st in the league at -3, meaning he is a below average QB. Regardless of the situation he is in and the comparisons made, his play has been bad.

Now, some are willing to cut him some slack due to the lack of talent around him or due to his lack of experience. Fair enough. That's all valid. As I said, he's the Packers 2023 QB and possibly 2024. From what I have seen he just doesn't have it. His play speaks for itself. I'm hopeful that the front office sees this as well and they move on. I hope he proves me wrong and Love is the next in line of great QBs. I'm calling it like I see it and what the numbers say. I just don't want to waste more seasons figuring out that he isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB.
From what I have seen is that Love will go deep to a receiver with more than single coverage. This was very rarely done by Rodgers unless we were in desperation mode. Rodgers always looked for single coverage isolation then if the receiver appeared to have an opening he would take the shot. This explained his propensity to hold the ball and take a sack. Even though Watson made that contested catch he was covered. He should be using his speed to blow by people and Love can lead him over the top. Rodgers did this with a multitude of receivers beside Jordy Nelson who was his favorite.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he throws short intentionally because he doesn't trust his receivers well enough to be where they should be. He's avoiding INTs by doing it. He's also making sure that only his receivers can get to the ball. He saw Rodgers do it so often, and it worked, but he hasn't mastered the height of where the ball should be yet. His are still grass burners.

Good or bad, that's up to the viewer. To me, if you can't count on the receivers to win 50/50s, or run the right routes, what's a better option?

That's not condoning it as a way to move the ball down the field. Just saying it seems to be what he's doing. The difference, between his and Rodgers throws is that Rodgers did it when there was no other option that was reasonably safe, Love does it as a matter of choice, more often.

Hitting the deep ball reliably is a major requirement of a good QB. Being the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL (with Watson, one of the best deep threats in the league on your team) is the biggest issue I have with Love and the thing that makes me want the Packers to draft one of the elite prospects in this year's draft if they have the chance. Many of the deep balls that Love throws turn into 50/50 balls after the WR, who has 3 yards of separation on the corner, has to come back and fight for a poorly thrown ball.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree...everybody is young and inexperienced, they are once again the youngest team in the league. If the pass catchers had held on to even a quarter of the balls they have dropped. The packers would be 6-2. Love would have fewer ints and more tds. Im not absolving Love of blame ultimately he needs to be better as well. I think these guys are going to grow together. Just like we just saw 4 losses in a row, I could see a little winning streak here

Krabs

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree...everybody is young and inexperienced, they are once again the youngest team in the league. If the pass catchers had held on to even a quarter of the balls they have dropped.
Excuses.
The packers would be 6-2. Love would have fewer ints and more tds.
This is speculation. Reality is, that this is not the case. WRs need to play better. I'm focused on Love's play.
Im not absolving Love of blame ultimately he needs to be better as well. I think these guys are going to grow together. Just like we just saw 4 losses in a row, I could see a little winning streak here
My fear is that the front office thinks the same and will stick with Love. We will be a low level team for the next few years by passing on this great QB class coming out. Then we find out that Love is what he is and waste seasons figuring it out.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my biggest fear with Love right now is not that he’s just an obvious total flop who will never amount to a serious pro. I don’t think that’s the case.

But I do worry that he will end up falling in that in-between zone of “just okay” where he’s not really good enough to win you anything of consequence without some major help but isn’t bad enough to just immediately move on from. The reality of it is that there are a lot of “just okay” QBs in the league and their teams probably aren’t going to compete for much until they move on, but they keep that player around because the alternative could always be worse. And I think many teams more or less take the approach that it’s better to be an average to above-average team (maybe make the playoffs, maybe win a playoff game, not much more) than it is to risk shaking things up and making it worse.

As mentioned before I think that’s how you get cases like the giants paying Daniel jones huge money. I very much doubt he ever has them competing for silverware but the fear of “it could be worse” will likely keep him around for a while. And that’s pretty much what I’m afraid of. Not that he’ll be terrible but just good enough to stay around and convince ourselves that if we build the team around him well and get all the right pieces together and everyone develops nicely then he’ll be enough. But I think the unfortunate reality is that these cases rarely ever work out in that way…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuses.

This is speculation. Reality is, that this is not the case. WRs need to play better. I'm focused on Love's play.

My fear is that the front office thinks the same and will stick with Love. We will be a low level team for the next few years by passing on this great QB class coming out. Then we find out that Love is what he is and waste seasons figuring it out.

You are not one to see facts across a spectrum are you? This team isn't just one of the youngest in the league, from a games experience stance it is one of the youngest teams in modern NFL. One has to weight that and it is very clear when re-watching the film of the games slowly....I cannot imagine how much drinking MLF and staff have done this year with many of the snaps you see in games....and at times out of guys like Watson, who is sadly in year two expected to be more of an experienced guy for you.

Truthfully I see the 2024 draft and off-season as a damned if you do and damned if you don't....either way the likely scenario is best case in 2024 things start clicking and you hope to battle for a wildcard spot with Love or if you get lucky and have high level rookie QB play...or go FA route. I don't personally see any QB candidate not named Maye I'm willing to chase in the draft, but even he isn't worth packaging the amount of picks it is likely to take to go up and get him. Maye is ending up a Cardinal or a Bear most likely with the other getting Williams if I were to bet. Outside of those two there isn't a QB with top 10 draft equity IMO...but I would also be ignorant to reality if I didn't say I would understand it if we hear GB call a QB's name Day1. There is reason to believe Love may not be the guy for sure.

Personally I still think it is very likely the better route use the high equity to fill potential expensive positions we are likely to lose in the future like Preston replacement...Bakh replacement...maybe Jaire if we keep losing he may not want to stay...use Love's final cheap fiscal hit year to really figure it out and by 2025 draft you know for certain and also have a much more experienced young core now two and three year veterans to welcome in a Cameron Ward or a Ewers or Beck which are my three favorites if they all go back one more year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hitting the deep ball reliably is a major requirement of a good QB. Being the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL (with Watson, one of the best deep threats in the league on your team) is the biggest issue I have with Love and the thing that makes me want the Packers to draft one of the elite prospects in this year's draft if they have the chance. Many of the deep balls that Love throws turn into 50/50 balls after the WR, who has 3 yards of separation on the corner, has to come back and fight for a poorly thrown ball.
This is true. I think right now we should be using Watson as a crossing receiver and maximize his RAC talent. He had two of these last year and I vividly recall the one against Buffalo. The long shot takes a chemistry between the route runner and the QB. Rodgers greatest long success was on 1st down play action going to Jordy Nelson in single coverage. In his last year here Favre ran the same play in OT to Greg Jennings on MNF. But you have to put air under the ball and the receiver has to run to it. Rodgers had this play perfectly planned against the Vikings last year except our rookie let it go right through his hands.

Reaction score
However, why keep making excuses for bad QB play?
Excuses to you… and a more complete evaluation of factors helping or hurting his cause to me.

Love has about as long a leash as a QB can have in the league.
I don’t think 9 starts is considered a long leash for a Starter. Really at any position, but especially on someone you drafted Day1 and waited 3 years to suit up.
Right now Love is ranked in 22nd in QBR in the NFL according to ESPN. He is ranked there due to his play. His PAA ranks 21st in the league
I’m surprised he’s that good. Most of you guys said he’s a Day 3 talent and he’s bested 10 NFL QB’s already? Just half way into year 1? Not too shabby actually, I didn’t realize he was that high.
I'm calling it like I see it
Yes I believe that. From a novice fans perspective. For every 1 starting QB that played lights out in his 1st season as a starter, I’ll give you 4 that didn’t. You don’t give up on your QB after 9 starts. That’s just not smart imo

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuses to you… and a more complete evaluation of factors helping or hurting his cause to me.

No he does not. 9 starts is not a long leash if you think he’s a starting caliber QB. Some get 2-3 seasons or more.

I’m surprised he’s that good. Most of you guys said he’s a Day 3 talent and he’s bested 10 NFL QB’s already? Just half way into year 1? Not too shabby thank you I didn’t realize he was that high.

Yes I believe that. From a novice fans perspective. For every 1 starting QB that played lights out in his 1st season as a starter, I’ll give you 4 that didn’t. You don’t give up on your QB after 9 starts. That’s just not smart imo
I know he is not going to be a Pro Bowl selection but we have to understand that despite his shortcomings he is playing on a team that is not very good. I think back to Don Majikowski. He may never have been a Favre or Rodgers but had he played on a better team he may have avoided those 3 season ending injuries and got us into the post season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Excuses.

What I and lot of people said

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know he is not going to be a Pro Bowl selection but we have to understand that despite his shortcomings he is playing on a team that is not very good. I think back to Don Majikowski. He may never have been a Favre or Rodgers but had he played on a better team he may have avoided those 3 season ending injuries and got us into the post season.
And majik had Sharpe ??

love has??