Studs & Duds - Los Angeles

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought he was going to miss. He looked scared and he was walking around nervously. That much self negativity going through his head is very tough to overcome. But he did!

I, for one, am proud of him. Hope the two misses in a game early in his career is an obscure and unbelievable trivia question in twenty years when he sets some Packer kicking records.
Yup and like I said, I think he knew that Sunday could possibly end his NFL career, that 46 yarder was just dripping with pressure. I mean if the Packers cut him, who's going to pick him up?

If nothing else, maybe Sunday at Lambeau, can be his coming out party and he has another perfect day.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I thought about putting Narverson in the Studs this week, because all 4 kicks were pretty much dead center.... however, I'm trying to limit myself to 3 per week, and IMO, McKinney, E Williams and Kraft were definitely more "Studly" than Narv Dog was. He can have an Honorable Mention.

Reaction score
it seemed like most were content to just kick it into or out of the EZ and give the other team the ball at the 35.
I thought it was the 30 yard line if you hit that landing zone which consists of the paint.
Or do you mean where they Start kicking from? I know that’s the 35

Last edited:
OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This play has been overanalyzed by far too many. Watching the All22 makes it even more impressive for Williams (the DB in coverage)...and only made possible by the underthrow by Love - which was made with one of our own essentially setting in Love's lap with the center of the pocket pushed massively on the play. Love back foot lobbed this ball and had it been just another yard or two Wicks isn't trying to high point this ball but catch it over the shoulder and likely is a touchdown....

Williams however was able to make up MASSIVE ground and when he jumps in the mere milliseconds before the ball arrives he pushes Wick's left wrist/hand completely off of alignment...vastly too late for Wicks to adjust and even try a proper one handed (right hand) catch.

Wick's has had a lot of drops this year - personally if I'm grading this play specifically I might still credit it as a drop but I don't know anyone in his body positioning and that late losing a hand makes that catch...sometimes the defender just makes a play.
This is so true and completely forgotten by some here each and every week. Our opponents every week are paid professional football players as well and our team is never going to win all 130 odd plays in a game. We won enough of them this week to come back from a road game with a W and I will consider that good fortune for us.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was going to miss. He looked scared and he was walking around nervously. That much self negativity going through his head is very tough to overcome. But he did!

I, for one, am proud of him. Hope the two misses in a game early in his career is an obscure and unbelievable trivia question in twenty years when he sets some Packer kicking records.
Narveson seems OK from the right hashmark or down the middle. His problem is from the left hashmark as his kicks tend to drift right. I need to see him hit one on the left before I'm convinced he's worked it out.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Narveson seems OK from the right hashmark or down the middle. His problem is from the left hashmark as his kicks tend to drift right. I need to see him hit one on the left before I'm convinced he's worked it out.
True. This is where his kicks fade right.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and like I said, I think he knew that Sunday could possibly end his NFL career, that 46 yarder was just dripping with pressure. I mean if the Packers cut him, who's going to pick him up?

If nothing else, maybe Sunday at Lambeau, can be his coming out party and he has another perfect day.
Playing in LA in front of a somewhat unconcerned crowd and great weather may have taken a little pressure off him. At Lambeau they expect him to make it.

Reaction score
As we always say. It takes more than 1 game to form a solid opinion. He's got work to do to erase 5 missed FG’s. I think partly what bought him time was that he’s made his XPA’s. Plus 2 of the 5 misses hit the goal post near the same spot, which might be what you guys are alluding to?
Add to that he looked pretty darn good in Preseason and made several 50+ Kicks including a 56 yard game Winner in TN. If I recall I watched the replays and he was good from 60 ish. Crosby would’ve either come short or scraped the bottom crossbar at most.
That leg power will come in handy at 44 yards in the cold with some wind such as our SF49er game.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm submitting my #1 STUD for the Texans game in 2 weeks right now.... MY SON! We just went out for dinner, cuz he won't be around for my Birthday on Friday, and he bought the 2 of us tickets to the Texans game for my Birthday present. This will be my 1st NFL game, at age 57!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm submitting my #1 STUD for the Texans game in 2 weeks right now.... MY SON! We just went out for dinner, cuz he won't be around for my Birthday on Friday, and he bought the 2 of us tickets to the Texans game for my Birthday present. This will be my 1st NFL game, at age 57!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!
Awesome! I will be there as well. Look for the tailgate with the horse and buggy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be there as well. God willing. Enjoy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Score. Cross one off the bucket list. That will be the winter warning game. Should be pretty cool. Cool as in neat not temperature.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This play has been overanalyzed by far too many. Watching the All22 makes it even more impressive for Williams (the DB in coverage)...and only made possible by the underthrow by Love - which was made with one of our own essentially setting in Love's lap with the center of the pocket pushed massively on the play. Love back foot lobbed this ball and had it been just another yard or two Wicks isn't trying to high point this ball but catch it over the shoulder and likely is a touchdown....

Williams however was able to make up MASSIVE ground and when he jumps in the mere milliseconds before the ball arrives he pushes Wick's left wrist/hand completely off of alignment...vastly too late for Wicks to adjust and even try a proper one handed (right hand) catch.

Wick's has had a lot of drops this year - personally if I'm grading this play specifically I might still credit it as a drop but I don't know anyone in his body positioning and that late losing a hand makes that catch...sometimes the defender just makes a play.
Technically it's PI, but not even the best referee would have caught this. The real reason for the incompletion is that Love underthrew Wicks. Wicks had plenty of separation had he not needed to come back for the ball.

I guess these are good problems to have because they are correctable. Back to Wicks' drops from looking upfield, he's aware he does that (and you were the one to find the quote, so thanks!). Love seems to still be working on his timing and gauging his throws. That's fine. I'm certain that will get fixed sooner rather than later.

One dud that just occurred to me, the Packers should have dominated TOP and they didn't. For some reason MLF opted to pass rather than run in the 1H, against what I think is the worst run D in the NFL (and the Packers ground game is second).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I need to buy something White to wear.... all my jerseys, shirts and hoodies are Green or Gold.
Is this going to be an all-white color rush game? I actually like that look and wish they would make the helmets white as well, like what the Eagles did in Brazil. Can't do that in the winter at Lambeau though.........

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I need to buy something White to wear.... all my jerseys, shirts and hoodies are Green or Gold.
That weekend in October can be tricky. It can be in the 40s or it can also be 65-70. At any rate watch for deer. It is rutting season. One year on Lombardi Ave. less than a mile from Lambeau traffic was held up the night before by a wild turkey. But you will be in a sea of green.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically it's PI, but not even the best referee would have caught this. The real reason for the incompletion is that Love underthrew Wicks. Wicks had plenty of separation had he not needed to come back for the ball.

I guess these are good problems to have because they are correctable. Back to Wicks' drops from looking upfield, he's aware he does that (and you were the one to find the quote, so thanks!). Love seems to still be working on his timing and gauging his throws. That's fine. I'm certain that will get fixed sooner rather than later.

One dud that just occurred to me, the Packers should have dominated TOP and they didn't. For some reason MLF opted to pass rather than run in the 1H, against what I think is the worst run D in the NFL (and the Packers ground game is second).

I seem to remember other young GB receivers having problems with drops early in their career...Davante Adams, Jordy Nelson, Josh Jones, etc.

Yes, indeed - It is correctable. And I do expect Mr. Wicks will probably get there.

Sometimes, however, you're just MVS.

I don't think that will be the case with D. Wicks.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante absolutely was as exhaustive....so was James Jones early on. I can remember Davante getting boo'd by fans a time or two...

Fact is no other wideout except for Davante has been better continually at separation than Wicks in modern memory. Wicks never suffered with drops at the college level, and I suspect as his progression only continues we continue to see him get better at this. I do intend to if time allows watch all Wicks targets from this year...and really watch to see any tendency he is doing...many like Reed as example who also has more drops than he should it is always trying to do things after the catch before the catch.
Ok I don't get why no one is mentioning narverson as a stud, the guy did a complete 180 and made all his kicks and he didnt just make them , his kicks were almost perfect, splitting the uprghts with a ball fight that was close to being straight as an arrow. It was a night and day performance from his previous games. If he can maintain whatever changes he made going foward we may have our money guy for FGs and XPs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I don't get why no one is mentioning narverson as a stud, the guy did a complete 180 and made all his kicks and he didnt just make them , his kicks were almost perfect, splitting the uprghts with a ball fight that was close to being straight as an arrow. It was a night and day performance from his previous games. If he can maintain whatever changes he made going foward we may have our money guy for FGs and XPs.
To be fair he had been perfect on all XPs and he only kicked one FG this last game. Nothing changed from his form, placement or impact point it seemed. Consistency is built, I still have faith in him - as I think he’ll wash out around low 80s or high 70s as a rookie and likely perfect or miss just one XP

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Is this going to be an all-white color rush game? I actually like that look and wish they would make the helmets white as well, like what the Eagles did in Brazil. Can't do that in the winter at Lambeau though.........
The helmets will be White, also.

Reaction score
When you watch that play. The DB times his jump perfectly. His hand barely brushes Wicks forearm. You see Wick attempting to close his hands but that very slight brush slows the clamp down a mili second before the ball passes perfectly through his hands and it’s timed perfectly.
It’s not Pass Interference because the DB puts his eyes on the ball to try to catch it. He just timed his jump too soon but by doing so it grazed Wicks arm in the way down just a microscopic smidge.
Imo Wicks hands were too far apart as the ball arrives. That the mini bump was only a minor distraction as it did not cause much physical movement in the forearm. I had to watch it 3 times just to see if it even brushed him. It was that light. It wouldn’t be PI though. The rule states that the Defender has a right to play the Ball and it’s almost non detectable he even grazes Wicks even on slow motion replay. The DB’s are allowed that every time.
IMO It was a good throw when it gives the WR a valid attempt to put 2 hands on the Ball. We’re talking a 35+ Pass here.
Could it have been thrown to lead him more? Sure I suppose but was that even the designed play to do so? Idk. I’d say 2 of Doubs, Watson and Reed would’ve made that same catch.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you watch that play. The DB times his jump perfectly. His hand barely brushes Wicks forearm. You see Wick attempting to close his hands but that very slight brush slows the clamp down a mili second before the ball passes perfectly through his hands and it’s timed perfectly.
It’s not Pass Interference because the DB puts his eyes on the ball to try to catch it. He just timed his jump too soon but by doing so it grazed Wicks arm in the way down just a microscopic smidge.
Imo Wicks hands were too far apart as the ball arrives. That the mini bump was only a minor distraction as it did not cause much physical movement in the forearm. I had to watch it 3 times just to see if it even brushed him. It was that light. It wouldn’t be PI though. The rule states that the Defender has a right to play the Ball and it’s almost non detectable he even grazes Wicks even on slow motion replay. The DB’s are allowed that every time.
IMO It was a good throw when it gives the WR a valid attempt to put 2 hands on the Ball. We’re talking a 35+ Pass here.
Could it have been thrown to lead him more? Sure I suppose but was that even the designed play? That ball was catchable by 50% if the WR’s in the league and Doubs makes that catch 75% of the time imo. It’s barely even considered contested only because of close proximity. Gotta go up and make a play there. You won’t get it that easy most times.
The issue is it’s regular with Wicks. He needs to work on those in practice and he’s likely to correct it.

I agree with this almost entirely...but the very last part in the context of the discussion, at least the way I took it (could be flat wrong in what you meant). Wick's drops this year have been a lot like Reeds' complete and utter lack of attention to the ball at the catch, I don't believe going back at his drops historically this year that he has had an issue with these jump ball types - I'll try to make time to check that however.

In college Wicks was an awesome jump ball target...this was the type of thing they'd do at times - clear double team and just toss it up:

There is so much to like in Wicks that all we can collectively do is hope like many young WRs his hands maturate with time...because just like Reed, he is a weapon of a different kind in his ability to separate.