2024 Roster Status/Tracker

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In the event Jordan Love suffers an injury, is there any trust, let alone confidence in either Pratt or Clifford to lead the team to victory?

I would say no, and that IS a problem.

You mentioned the SB, and I think the Packers are a contender for the SB, which requires competency for QB2.

Tannehill would be ideal, but I think Mike White is a decent and affordable option. Great value signing.
Oh I hear you, its something I said many times when Rodgers was the QB. "If our #1 goes down, what does that do to our SB hopes?"

As I posted many weeks ago, Gute has had to have had that discussion with coaches or at least asked himself. "What are our chances to win a SB with Love?" "What if Love goes down, where does that put our chances?"

If Love is as good as the Packers think he is (basing off what they paid him), is the Packer offense good enough without him to make a SB? Well that will also depend a lot on the defense, how good are they? Will also depend on a ton of other factors, injuries, development, luck, etc.

Just like a lot of seasons under Rodgers, a Packer GM finds himself in a Catch-22. Could they keep winning with a backup QB? Do they want to spend a ton of the future cap on a backup QB?

As I have been saying, if Love goes down, neither Pratt or Clifford appear to be very capable of leading this offense to a SB. The question is, would White, Tannehill or another QB? Remember, you are talking about bringing in a QB that has ZERO experience with the Packer players or their playbook.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Experts" estimate Tannehill should get a 2yr/$11mil deal as a 35 yr old FA. 2023 stats: In his three games after returning from injury late in 2023, he posted a 92.8 passer rating, 6.71 adjusted yards per attempt, and 70% completion percentage.

Small price to pay should Love miss any time in '24. Like this option vs. min. experience cheap, young guy.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love is as good as the Packers think he is (basing off what they paid him), is the Packer offense good enough without him to make a SB? Well that will also depend a lot on the defense, how good are they? Will also depend on a ton of other factors, injuries, development, luck, etc.

Just like a lot of seasons under Rodgers, a Packer GM finds himself in a Catch-22. Could they keep winning with a backup QB? Do they want to spend a ton of the future cap on a backup QB?

As I have been saying, if Love goes down, neither Pratt or Clifford appear to be very capable of leading this offense to a SB. The question is, would White, Tannehill or another QB? Remember, you are talking about bringing in a QB that has ZERO experience with the Packer players or their playbook.

That's a fair point, but it also illuminates a flaw with the philosophy that Green Bay has bought into for decades.

How many games over the past 25 years, have been lost due to the inability for a backup QB to when games, one half, quarters, and/or possessions?

The flaw, for me, has always been the mindset to develop a backup QB within the organization in the name of continuity; but continuity doesn't equal success.

The bottom line should be...if needed can this backup QB come in and win this game?

Drafting and developing QBs while already having a franchise QB comes across as thrift and conservative vs maximizing a championship window.

I would argue, that in the event Love would be unable to play, this roster is playoff contending at worst.

Why not...spend the capital to shore up any weaknesses?

No loss of a draft pick, just a 1-year commitment, with minimal guarantees, doesn't seem outrageous.

Tannehill or White is an upgrade over the current options, as I would imagine either QB would nudge the needle more towards winning.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Experts" estimate Tannehill should get a 2yr/$11mil deal as a 35 yr old FA. 2023 stats: In his three games after returning from injury late in 2023, he posted a 92.8 passer rating, 6.71 adjusted yards per attempt, and 70% completion percentage.

Small price to pay should Love miss any time in '24. Like this option vs. min. experience cheap, young guy.
Yeah, I was think $5-6M for Tannehill as well. Which is peanuts in the NFL for a QB AND if it wins you some games to make it into the playoffs. As I posted the other day, a guy like Tannehill would also add a veteran presence to the bench, locker room and film. I really doubt Love is going to Clifford or Pratt for tips.

A big part of a veteran QB is the confidence they instill to the players around them. Tannehill has huddled up 1000's of times in real football games (155 games to be exact). Clifford and Pratt, not so much.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That sounds great, but I don't think there is anyway Tannehill takes a deal like that.

11M a year, with his resume, is more realistic.

Tannehill would have better leverage knowing his need for GB if called upon.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheap & somewhat experienced could be Bailey Zappe? I'd prefer Tannehill, but saving approx. $5mil/yr with Zappe is intriguing.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason the Packers shouldn't be all in this year as a SB contender. Both Pratt and Clifford aren't serviceable qb#2. IMO, go for the best available option in Tannehill. He's a veteran who will pick up the playback quickly and he's proven to be a starting level qb in the NFL. The chances are high that Love will miss some games with an injury. It's the NFL, quarterbacks get hurt all the time. Without a good #2, kiss the season goodbye if Love gets hurt for more than 3 to 4 weeks if gb#2 sucks. Worse yet, what if you need qb#2 in a playoff game. Pratt or Clifford aren't going to win you that game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a fair point, but it also illuminates a flaw with the philosophy that Green Bay has bought into for decades.
As I said, for years I wasn't excited about the backup QB situation behind Rodgers and even at some points, behind Favre. Fortunately, Favre was an iron horse and really didn't need one. Whereas the few times Rodgers went down, I'm hard pressed to remember who came in? Flynn, Kizer and Hundley? Flynn had a career game in relief of Rodgers, but as the Seahawks found out, he wasn't very good.

IMO, your #2 QB should reflect the strength/direction of your team. Last year, Packers weren't expected to do much, would have been a total waste of money to have a highly paid backup QB behind Love. This year, might be different, maybe they can contend for a SB and maybe having a solid #2 is important.

I still think the Packers are a year away from being a legit SB contender. That said, if Love goes down for any long stretch, season is over, no matter who the backup is. However, if he goes down for a game or 2, that #2 might be the difference between getting in the playoffs with Love or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That sounds great, but I don't think there is anyway Tannehill takes a deal like that.

11M a year, with his resume, is more realistic.

Tannehill would have better leverage knowing his need for GB if called upon.
I don't know about that.

Tannehill is almost out of football. His NFL salary earnings is about $200M, not sure how much he has made in endorsements. He has played in only 5 playoff games, 1 being an AFCCG (2019). I could see him wanting to sign with a team like the Packers. Knowing that he won't be a starter, but if the starter goes down, he might have a shot at a SB ring.

I know a few of us say "money doesn't mean that much to a vet that has already made bank." I have no clue what Tannehill is thinking, maybe the fact that he is still a FA tells us all we need to know and it is about money for him? Maybe he won't sign with any team, unless he knows it is to replace a starting QB that got hurt?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I feel with the expectations this team has this season, they need to find a veteran backup for the season. The big question if that happens is who do you cut, and who goes on the PS...Clifford or Pratt. Clifford looked better last year, and seems to have not made a 2nd year jump. If he had, you wouldn't need to bring in a veteran. I am leaning toward Pratt to the practice squad, over Clifford in that scenario. Both threw for 1 TD and 1 INT during preseason. Clifford had more yds, but Pratt blew Clifford away in Comp%, (65.7-51.2), along w/having a better Passer rating (75.7-62.8) My gut feeling is they keep both, alternating who is active each week, and address bringing in a veteran if an injury happens, just because they spent draft capital on both guys. I just don't think they want to give up on either guy this early.

Reaction score
If I’m Tannehill I’m waiting. There’s a 50/50 chance he gets a call before trade deadline and eventually starts for a team with an QB injury. I’m near positive he’s already had offers. Likely in the $3-7mil area.
I wouldn’t take that to be locked in a contract either. Especially one that had me buried on the depth chart. I’d rather wait on a team that gives ne a realistic opportunity to play. If he’s picked up before mid season his prorated amount will be more than $5m and he’s going to a team with a chance to start. Just imo

I’d love to have Tannehill, but I doubt he’d come for less than $8-10Mil type deal. Thats above what we’d pay him as our #2

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tannehill is the next Jim McMahon. Bring it on for 9 mill
This is why you wait until after Brazil. Don't have to eat the vested vet cap hit for the full salary. I wouldn't be surprised if both Pratt and Cliffy are cut and make the PS. Game day active call ups until one separates. That said I expect Gute to keep this year's draft pick on the 53.

Reaction score
This is why you wait until after Brazil. Don't have to eat the vested vet cap hit for the full salary. I wouldn't be surprised if both Pratt and Cliffy are cut and make the PS. Game day active call ups until one separates. That said I expect Gute to keep this year's draft pick on the 53.
I’d love to know how The Packers staff value the QB2 position in a season where they are poised challenge for 1st place in the North.
They might be thinking along the lines of the year Wallace was brought in after Rodgers went down. Basically, Just go after a veteran QB IF Love looks like he’d miss more than a few games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, although if Tannehill is the guy they want, he may not be available after Brazil and if he is, he might have other suitors for his services.

In the grand scheme of things, when you are paying your starting QB $55M, a few extra million for a more proven starting QB like Tannehill, probably isn't a bad investment.

Reaction score
This is where we are and that’s fine. That said I think ideally it would’ve been wise to go after the best veteran QB available in <$4mil range. (Maybe we did try idk). Possibly in a player trade.
We still could be sniffing around idk. I like Huntley with the Browns, he’s likely an inexpensive option as Dorian Thompson-Robinson is a Camp darling paired with WR Thrash. Tyler is the odd man out (literally #3) and he’s a higher end backup prospect than either of ours. I think we’d be totally fine stashing 1 on PS and going with 3 QB’s this season. That gives us another full year to get a good look at our two draft picks. Also it gives us a really good chance to win a couple ball games if Love misses time.

The Browns could use a backup LT pretty badly as they are 4 deep on the depth chart. Maybe kick them a player trade, the lesser of Telfort or Caleb Jones as an olive branch for Huntley on a 1yr rental. We’d still have a shot at getting either back next year if deemed necessary.

Huntley would come cheap, he’s on a $470K guaranteed, $1.295M contract for the season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’d keep
Walker, Jenkins, Myers, Rhyan, Tom
Jones, Monk, Morgan, Dillard
and stash
Glover and Jennings on PS.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is where we are and that’s fine. That said I think ideally it would’ve been wise to go after the best veteran QB available in <$4mil range. (Maybe we did try idk). Possibly in a player trade.
We still could be sniffing around idk. I like Huntley with the Browns, he’s likely an inexpensive option as Dorian Thompson-Robinson is a Camp darling paired with WR Thrash. Tyler is the odd man out (literally #3) and he’s a higher end backup prospect than either of ours. I think we’d be totally fine stashing 1 on PS and going with 3 QB’s this season. That gives us another full year to get a good look at our two draft picks. Also it gives us a really good chance to win a couple ball games if Love misses time.

The Browns could use a backup LT pretty badly as they are 4 deep on the depth chart. Maybe kick them a player trade, the lesser of Telfort or Caleb Jones as an olive branch for Huntley on a 1yr rental. We’d still have a shot at getting either back next year if deemed necessary.

Huntley would come cheap, he’s on a $470K guaranteed, $1.295M contract for the season.

Good post. I'd be shocked if they keep Clifford on the initial 53. Nobody will grab him and unless they see future potential in him, he might not even be on the Packers PS very long. Find a decent #2, try to shift Pratt onto the PS and cut ties with Clifford. Might even consider cutting both Clifford and Pratt on Tuesday, if they feel that nobody will grab Pratt. That extra roster spot could be used for a decent young prospect.

Reaction score
Replace Royce with Telfort, and I'm with you. Royce gotta go
I watched Royce a little more this game. I’ve been up n down on him but he actually played good yesterday, obviously against the scrubs. I’m on the fence with him, but I do like he’s been in system for several years now with lots of experience. I’d go with experience over projection is how I’m thinking.

Reaction score
Good post. I'd be shocked if they keep Clifford on the initial 53. Nobody will grab him and unless they see future potential in him, he might not even be on the Packers PS very long. Find a decent #2, try to shift Pratt onto the PS and cut ties with Clifford. Might even consider cutting both Clifford and Pratt on Tuesday, if they feel that nobody will grab Pratt. That extra roster spot could be used for a decent young prospect.
If we went the route of signing a legit #2 QB. I’d chance Pratt on PS before Clifford on PS. I think they are close to equal products out of College, but Pratt has more growth ceiling imo. Clifford has more raw experience but it doesn’t show that much at this point. Pratt already looks his equal
I think Pratt could really benefit from a season on PS and only elevate him if either QB injured.
I know we value our draft picks. However I think our chances of success with someone like Huntley would go up. When he’s been on a good team he played admirably. If they don’t player trade swap a 6/7th etc.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I think Pratt deserves a shot at the roster and/or PS, at least until a better option is in place. One training camp isn't a fair assessment, especially for a QB. If that was the case, Rodgers should have been cut after the first preseason. As for Clifford, IMO, his play seems to have regressed. A player needs to show improvement from year 1 to year 2, and from what I observed, I didn't see it. If Pratt doesn't show improvement next year, then I'm all for him going on the chopping block, also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Pratt deserves a shot at the roster and/or PS, at least until a better option is in place. One training camp isn't a fair assessment, especially for a QB. If that was the case, Rodgers should have been cut after the first preseason. As for Clifford, IMO, his play seems to have regressed. A player needs to show improvement from year 1 to year 2, and from what I observed, I didn't see it. If Pratt doesn't show improvement next year, then I'm all for him going on the chopping block, also.
I think the disappointing part for me with Clifford, he had been the guy playing with the better players in the first 2 preseason games and looked terrible. By the time Pratt came in to play, the Packers were playing the last group of guys on the offensive roster and Pratt seemed to look much better than Clifford. Now I guess you have to factor in that Pratt was probably facing defenses that were less talented too.

On Saturday, MLF mixed up when the two QB's played, which I think is the better way to handle it when it is a tossup as to who becomes the #2. Neither really shined, but Pratt looks more confident and decisive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we went the route of signing a legit #2 QB. I’d chance Pratt on PS before Clifford on PS. I think they are close to equal products out of College, but Pratt has more growth ceiling imo. Clifford has more raw experience but it doesn’t show that much at this point. Pratt already looks his equal
I think Pratt could really benefit from a season on PS and only elevate him if either QB injured.
I know we value our draft picks. However I think our chances of success with someone like Huntley would go up. When he’s been on a good team he played admirably. If they don’t player trade swap a 6/7th etc.
I think most teams have their young, rookie QB that they hope to give another year on the PS. The Packers have been recycling these young mid to late round or UDFA QB's for years now. None of them ever seem to amount to much. The more I think about Pratt, the more I think he would be an easy waive and resign to the PS. Unless of course the Packers think that he is the next Brock Purdy or Taysom Hill.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated OP.

Easy cuts IMO I've struck through....Now of course a kicker must be cut, and truthfully who knows we may cut both, not put one on our 53, do a designation and then sign a kicker that is on the street after cut downs and bring back Joseph or Carlson to PS if one clears waivers.

Clearly likely an addtional WR maybe two, TE will be down to 3 most possibly just roll with Kraft/Musgrave and try to retain one of Davis/Sims/Wilson...OL likely sees on or two more than what is struck below too...obviously defensive groups have bottom depth cuts needed to where guys haven't made it easy.

QB
Jordan Love
Sean Clifford
Michael Pratt (R)

RB
Ellis Merriweather
Emanuel Wilson
Josh Jacobs
AJ Dillon
Nate McCrary
MarShawn Lloyd (R)

WR