Roster Statuses heading into 2024...

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed like best place for it at this time....off season and cap/contract threads will happen towards end of season or in January in our post SB stooper LOL....

But presently folks we have these guys with contracts expiring....

Eric Stokes
Josh Myers
TJ Slaton
Isaiah McDuffie
AJ Dillon
Corey Ballentine
Zayne Anderson
Eric Wilson
Brandon McManus
Andre Dillard
Tyler Davis
John Fitzpatrick
Emanuel Wilson
Daniel Whelan
Bo Melton
Aaron Mosby
Jonathan Ford
Chris Brooks
Kadeem Telfort

All those guys together had a salary value this year of $43M...Stokes and Myers alone are over $17M

I would argue that right now Melton, Wilson and Whelan all make really good sense and they're stinking ERFAs not even true FAs

McManus could play himself into a couple year deal if he shows out...Dillon is likely a CHEAP resigning candidate given his love of GB and desire to be around...

But it is CRAZY how well Gute has set this team up for this offseason not having to resign anyone of our own arguably of size...and is a testament to the youth elsewhere....

Now that said, I wouldn't be blown away if Gute while flush with money (right now before any resignings and such we have nearly $60M in space for 2025) would resign/extend a guy that has a 2025 expiring contract....as there are a TON of them and many BIG contributors:

Rasheed Walker, Kingsley Enagbare, Zach Tom, Romeo Doubs, Sean Rhyan, Christian Watson....of those guys to me I say sign Tom now...he is only going to get more expensive...I know resigning rookies before their deal is up does cost more than it otherwise would that one year (2025 in this case) but it exponentially can save you a ton beyond that for a guy like Tom who no doubt if healthy is going to be a starting tackle in the NFL for another 6+ seasons.

Just some forward thinking...but folks we are setting up VERY well fiscally....and this is without discussions on guys like Preston Smith maybe being had....
Stokes Needs to take a pay cut to stay.

Myers has to go

Slaton can stay maybe at a reduced price

McDuffie is gone

Dillon reduction or gone

Ballentine I'd try to keep maybe at a lower price

Anderson I can take or leave

Wilson I try to sign, he's at least solid depth

McManus we'll see

Dillard we'll see

E Wilson try to keep him

Daniel Whelan, re-sign and pay raise

Melton re-sign maybe pay reduction

Mosby I don't know anything about

Fitzpatrick same

Johanathon Ford stays

Brooks and Telfort go

I agree on Tom, but I also think Enagbare should be given a bump but not a huge one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then he's gone over injury concerns

It just wouldn't make sense to do this. He is likely to do the incredible vet deal type structure that hits like a rookie deal like he did this year for the team, has MASSIVE knowledge of the playbook, was shifting this year to more of that kyle juszczyk FB/HBack role as MLF eluded to and many of us called for. He is by far and above worthy of being this team's active guy in that role over Beck (who was elevated again this week) and gives you a bonafide backup RB that defenses have to also look to run when in behind Jacobs/Wilson.

Dillon has stayed engaged and in the facility daily, I just don't see a way he and GB don't do a similar deal to what they did this year because when he is healthy he is immensely valuable far more than the peasely cap hit he is.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just wouldn't make sense to do this. He is likely to do the incredible vet deal type structure that hits like a rookie deal like he did this year for the team, has MASSIVE knowledge of the playbook, was shifting this year to more of that kyle juszczyk FB/HBack role as MLF eluded to and many of us called for. He is by far and above worthy of being this team's active guy in that role over Beck (who was elevated again this week) and gives you a bonafide backup RB that defenses have to also look to run when in behind Jacobs/Wilson.

Dillon has stayed engaged and in the facility daily, I just don't see a way he and GB don't do a similar deal to what they did this year because when he is healthy he is immensely valuable far more than the peasely cap hit he is.
I agree. Unless you absolutely need the roster spot, and you can always find room for a guy like Dillon IMO, it makes no sense to cut him if you can get him at that cap hit. He's way to valuable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Stokes Needs to take a pay cut to stay.

Myers has to go

Slaton can stay maybe at a reduced price

McDuffie is gone

Dillon reduction or gone

Ballentine I'd try to keep maybe at a lower price

Anderson I can take or leave

Wilson I try to sign, he's at least solid depth

McManus we'll see

Dillard we'll see

E Wilson try to keep him

Daniel Whelan, re-sign and pay raise

Melton re-sign maybe pay reduction

Mosby I don't know anything about

Fitzpatrick same

Johanathon Ford stays

Brooks and Telfort go

I agree on Tom, but I also think Enagbare should be given a bump but not a huge one.
Sure glad that you aren't the GM, although picking 1st in every round, every year would be nice. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ran across a blurb that had him and Preston as trade candidates the next few weeks. Dillard would be nice to get something for if we had a valid swing tackle backup on the roster. If Morgan and/or Monk are ready for the big time, maybe get something yet for Myers.
I saw that article too.

I wouldn't want to trade either of them. Preston is a key piece of the defense and personally, I think a bit overrated by some and underrated by many.

As far as Dillard goes, what are they going to get for him, a 7th rounder? Yeah, the guy isn't high level starter quality, but the Packers aren't busting at the seams with quality NFL Tackles either. A few injuries on the OL and they will be glad they have Dillard on the roster and won't notice not having an additional 7th rounder in the 2025 draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ran across a blurb that had him and Preston as trade candidates the next few weeks. Dillard would be nice to get something for if we had a valid swing tackle backup on the roster. If Morgan and/or Monk are ready for the big time, maybe get something yet for Myers.

So Kadeem is our second RT up when Tom comes off....not sure if the team sees Dillard as the same but on the LT. If they see Kadeem or someone else as the back up there it only makes sense to trade Dillard. However, I'll be honest I highly doubt if you get anything above a 7th rounder for him...maybe conditionally more but I doubt it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that article too.

I wouldn't want to trade either of them. Preston is a key piece of the defense and personally, I think a bit overrated by some and underrated by many.

As far as Dillard goes, what are they going to get for him, a 7th rounder? Yeah, the guy isn't high level starter quality, but the Packers aren't busting at the seams with quality NFL Tackles either. A few injuries on the OL and they will be glad they have Dillard on the roster and won't notice not having an additional 7th rounder in the 2025 draft.
I'm not so sure we will be glad to have Dillard in any case.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly with GB in such a good cap place still this year and into next….the argument could be made now more than ever to sign a contract or two BEFORE you have to….and if you are right on them it saves you a ton into the future and keeps you possibly able to roll really young elsewhere. This next draft is defensively strong in spots we need or could load up on and walk from folks (iDL, Edge, CB, LB)….and possibly sign a couple young stars of the future on Offensive side of things…

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly with GB in such a good cap place still this year and into next….the argument could be made now more than ever to sign a contract or two BEFORE you have to….and if you are right on them it saves you a ton into the future and keeps you possibly able to roll really young elsewhere. This next draft is defensively strong in spots we need or could load up on and walk from folks (iDL, Edge, CB, LB)….and possibly sign a couple young stars of the future on Offensive side of things…
I'm actually looking at 1 DL for depth, 1 EDGE/DE for depth 1-2 ILB (1 for depth 1 to get McDuffie off the roster) and 1 CB for depth

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually looking at 1 DL for depth, 1 EDGE/DE for depth 1-2 ILB (1 for depth 1 to get McDuffie off the roster) and 1 CB for depth

I don't necessarily want Duff gone, but him being your 3rd or 4th ILB is where he is best and most productive. He's a solid teamer and when he is called without notice he seems to play better...some guys are best off the bench, he is one to me.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So hold off on that Stokes jersey my nephew wants until it goes on clearance next April?

I do think there is a world where Stokes chooses a one year low to likely market deal to do a prove it year at a place that he likes (and I do know he loves GB)....but I'm truthfully talking like a $4M type one year deal which is low CB money truthfully.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson showed what Walker hasn't been able to do. I was surprised at Wilson's efforts cuz I was in favor of Hopper playing middle lb but hope Wilson starts. Still like Hopper though.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily want Duff gone, but him being your 3rd or 4th ILB is where he is best and most productive. He's a solid teamer and when he is called without notice he seems to play better...some guys are best off the bench, he is one to me.
I would agree there, but I would also add that for me, he's a run stuffer in that situation not a pass defender.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. I also think Gute wants to head into Free Agency with a decent war chest. I don't know how this team will end the 2024 season, but seems they will be lacking in either a top Offensive Tackle, CB or DL. So perhaps like he did with signing McKinney, Gute will go after one of the best at their position and a position of total need for the Packers.

I can't say enough about McKinney and Gute signing him. I think he and Hafley have really helped to turn this defense around.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson showed what Walker hasn't been able to do. I was surprised at Wilson's efforts cuz I was in favor of Hopper playing middle lb but hope Wilson starts. Still like Hopper though.

I think folks are annointing Wilson vastly too quick and is merely falling victim to recency biasness. Recency would tell us Kraft is a mediocre to above average TE...he's vastly more than this.

Likewise Reed ran lousy routes, had a drop....doesn't mean he's a lousy player.

Wilson has been in the league a LONG TIME...he still hasn't been in GB for half his career yet...and never has even broken 1,000 snaps save for one season with Minnesota. Yes, he was forced into snaps due to Quay going down and absolutely did an awesome job, but a guy playing his best game ever in his NFL life with more than 10 snaps needs to stack days before we should expect this to be his norm.

Are there guys that wake up for one year and everything seems to click in a very special way? Absolutely every single year - and if Eric is about to have one of those years great, ride that wave until it falls, but don't be shocked when it does.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I also think Gute wants to head into Free Agency with a decent war chest. I don't know how this team will end the 2024 season, but seems they will be lacking in either a top Offensive Tackle, CB or DL. So perhaps like he did with signing McKinney, Gute will go after one of the best at their position and a position of total need for the Packers.

I can't say enough about McKinney and Gute signing him. I think he and Hafley have really helped to turn this defense around.

There's a world where I could see us nab a high level DL....I don't see CB given the high money we already are spending there plus Nixon and Valentine are under contract and that doesn't include King who is as well...plus you got Ballentine who the team likes and he has played average in reserve starts last couple years (he could resign cheap again).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So Kadeem is our second RT up when Tom comes off....not sure if the team sees Dillard as the same but on the LT. If they see Kadeem or someone else as the back up there it only makes sense to trade Dillard. However, I'll be honest I highly doubt if you get anything above a 7th rounder for him...maybe conditionally more but I doubt it.
I just don't see the purpose of trading away a depth piece, especially an offensive Tackle. Dillard is playing for vet min. or close to ($1.125M). It is a long season and from past history, the Packers tend to lose 1-3 starters on the OL during the season. He may not be a starter, but Dillard is a heck of a lot more valuable then a long shot 2025 7th rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think folks are annointing Wilson vastly too quick and is merely falling victim to recency biasness. Recency would tell us Kraft is a mediocre to above average TE...he's vastly more than this.

Likewise Reed ran lousy routes, had a drop....doesn't mean he's a lousy player.

Wilson has been in the league a LONG TIME...he still hasn't been in GB for half his career yet...and never has even broken 1,000 snaps save for one season with Minnesota. Yes, he was forced into snaps due to Quay going down and absolutely did an awesome job, but a guy playing his best game ever in his NFL life with more than 10 snaps needs to stack days before we should expect this to be his norm.

Are there guys that wake up for one year and everything seems to click in a very special way? Absolutely every single year - and if Eric is about to have one of those years great, ride that wave until it falls, but don't be shocked when it does.
Wilson is a great guy to have on your bench. He's good on special teams and when he gets a chance to come into the game as a LB, he generally gives it all he's got. I think it was the Colts game that he had an interception and sniffed out a QB option, both helping to secure that game.

Wilson is a guy that I want on my team for a variety of roles. You (@tynimiller ) talked about working out some new contracts now for the future. Wilson would be a guy I would like to see locked in as a Packer for 3-4 more years.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see the purpose of trading away a depth piece, especially an offensive Tackle. Dillard is playing for vet min. or close to ($1.125M). It is a long season and from past history, the Packers tend to lose 1-3 starters on the OL during the season. He may not be a starter, but Dillard is a heck of a lot more valuable then a long shot 2025 7th rounder.
IF he's not your first RT or even your first LT then I see the value. You also have the question of how far is Monk and could your actually second LT plan be Morgan OR even Jenkins with guards shuffling.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I highly doubt they'd part with their starting center. I could see Dillard and Smith being traded though.