Roster Statuses heading into 2024...

Reaction score
That's not a very encouraging sign, 5 days before our first preseason game. It suggests to me that in the eyes of the coaches, nobody is really running away with it. What is this, the 6th kicker they've looked at? And they're still shopping?

I think what may be the most concerning to them is that they were hoping that Joseph and these other guys would put enough pressure on Carlson that he'd up his game and pull ahead of the others. Instead, it's the opposite - Carlson is banging just 82.5% (33 of 40), and it's Joseph who's pulling away. He's hit 36 of 40, for 90%.

If Carlson doesn't make a big imnprovement in the next couple of weeks, I think Joseph is going be kicking off in Brazil.
We’re 100% in win now mode. I agree if Joseph looks more consistent, we can’t afford another season of training wheels for Carlson. If it looks something like that, it will need to be on PS.
In other news. KC just gave their placekicker a record setting deal.

Harrison Butker received a
4yr 26.4Mil, 17.75 guaranteed

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I don't need high level stuff at all, but I do suspect out of our rooks we find a capable #2 starter type, but if we get hit with an injury in our next up depth or first up replacement continually falls short I won't wait for the season to slip and get a guy like Hyde. I'd be patient but not crazy patient if needed.
Staff and management will be patient with the youth just like they were with the WR's and TE's last year. They haven't shown any inclination to bring in old players. Only the fans are talking about this and it's starting to take on a life of its own.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staff and management will be patient with the youth just like they were with the WR's and TE's last year. They haven't shown any inclination to bring in old players. Only the fans are talking about this.

I guarantee you they are always aware and know precisely who if they needed to they would call. I would bet my house on it, that is one thing Gute constantly harps on in house is attempting to never not have a plan.

No calls would be done at this time for sure, and likely won't be unless true issues arise as I described.

Reaction score
Staff and management will be patient with the youth just like they were with the WR's and TE's last year. They haven't shown any inclination to bring in old players. Only the fans are talking about this and it's starting to take on a life of its own.
Much of the time that’s the general philosophy. Although this season might might be an exception. We showed that in the draft by going after new prospects that played at positions where we needed starters.

I guess what I’m saying is 2024 brings a greater sense of urgency than the bulk of seasons. That goes for LS or Center or Placekicker or even our DB room (or any position with some instability) Plus our Cap situation isn’t hateful like it got under Rodgers.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I guarantee you they are always aware and know precisely who if they needed to they would call. I would bet my house on it, that is one thing Gute constantly harps on in house is attempting to never not have a plan.

No calls would be done at this time for sure, and likely won't be unless true issues arise as I described.
Totally agree. Imo, it would only happen if the position was ravaged by injuries

Reaction score
I haven’t been following most of the league as far as Roster improvements or regressions in 2024. I always say most teams are either regressing or improving their Roster. We can’t expect other opponents to remain stagnant and that has to be factored.
That said as of this moment in time if the 2024 Packers went back in time and replayed the 2023 schedule as it were? I think we’d go 12-5, maybe maybe 13-4.

Back to the present 2024. We need to account for a tougher schedule and this year might come down to winning the close ones. I see a 10-7/11-6 team, but against a tougher schedule than last year. I also see a team that’s still ascending though, with a real chance to start peaking as soon as mid to late 2024 regular season and into 2025.

With some clever constructing of contracts and a potential player for player trade or possibly for some future draft capital, I could see another good, solid draft (+FA) layered over top of what I believe are 2 of the best 5 drafts for The Packers across the last 20 years. (2023-2024)

I’d be shocked if this Roster didn’t crack 10 Wins and maybe a little disappointed if we didn’t Win 11 regular season games. We’ve got a 12 Win Roster it’s more about hie quickly can we assimilate.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some new signings and 2 cuts to make room for them. I guess 3 cuts if you count QB Jacob Eason from the other day.

Packers signed another kicker, Alex Hale.

They also signed 2 DE's, Zach Morton and Brevin Allen.

To make room for them on the roster they cut CB Don Callis and WR Rory Starkey. Both of them were dealing with injuries.

Hale kicked for Oklahoma State and I guess looking at his 4 year stats, I don't see anything special.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now take this with reservations and realistic expectations folks but Brevin Allen is an intriguing guy for sure. I had a 6th round grade on him for the 2023 draft.

He caught most scouts eyes with his 2021 campaign where he exploded on to the scene amassing 9.5 sacks and 17.5 TFLs ranking inside the Top 20 nationally out of the Big South. While his redshirt (covid) senior year wasn't bad it wasn't a replication or increase over the prior year and he tallied 7.5 TFLs and 4.5 sacks. His measurables while attending the Shrine Bowl was the second time I saw more noticing him - because measurables are a big box he for sure checks... 6'3 5/8 height / 262 pounds / 34 1/2 inch arms and 10.125 inch hands.

He did not test well when the crunch time happened and fell far short of his low 4.6 forty times and put up an odd 10 yard split but a phenomenal twenty yard split which honestly when I see someone with these splits I question the timing accuracy. His camp claimed he lived in the sub 4.6s with his best being 4.59...truthfully worst case I bet he is a 4.7 type and his split at 20 is likely quite accurate. He didn't to my knowledge do any public shuttle or 3 cone and that would have been the clincher for me as his RAS even with that bad 4.85 forty was 6.5 and truthfully I figured he was going to be a minimum 7.00. I had one contact with his training group and they said illness around testing time likely caused some of the issues.

ALL that to say he is a very athletic and well constructed piece type guy I envisioned pushing for a roster spot by 2025 and hopefully being a bottom of depth piece for 2024....

Just figured I'd share my write ups saved on him. He actually made Feldman's freaks early list his draft year.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re 100% in win now mode. I agree if Joseph looks more consistent, we can’t afford another season of training wheels for Carlson. If it looks something like that, it will need to be on PS.
Yes. I don't see the Guternator devoting 2 full seasons to developing a 6th-round kicker - while we are in the window, and primed in every other respect to make a legitimate, credible run at the whole thing.

And they brought in yet another kicker today, did they? They're not going about this in a casuial manner at all; they're clearly not comfortable going into this season with the kickers we currently have.

And they don't even care enough anymore to worry about undermining either Joseph's or Carlson's self-confidence - they're past that. They're actively trying to replace them, and there's no hiding it. They're no longer focusing on motivating them, they're just looking for a better kicker.

Gute is dead serious about going all in this season. We lost at least 2 or 3 games last year that we'd have had an excellent chance of winning if we'd had a decent kicker, including the diviisional game. Maybe even more than 2 or3; I'd rather understate than exaggerate.

Gutekunst is a guy who doesn't like to have to learn the same lesson twice - especially painful lessons. He doesn't want to have to spend half of January and all of February watching football on TV because for the want of a nail back in August a horseshoe was lost.

Packers signed another kicker, Alex Hale.

Hale kicked for Oklahoma State and I guess looking at his 4 year stats, I don't see anything special.
The list probably now starts with "Does applicant have both legs still atached and not require a wheelchair to perform necessary tasks?"

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is our bad word nanny blocking the title of this song?
Maybe you typed it in an offensive tone of voice? Lewd, lascivious, vulgar keystrokes?

We all know that every one of us has been guilty of the same thing.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For all those MVS fans, looks like he's on the roster bubble in Buffalo.

No surprise to me, guessing that the Bears will be his next stop.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say it this way:

Ted undervalued those 2 DB's.

Ted and his scouts totally ***** the bed with their drafting of a number of DB's.

Two guys, Rollins and Randall.

Josh Jackson in the second was indisputable to nearly anyone that watched college film, studied prospects and followed the scouts. He like we see every year was a great example of the next level being too much for - and fast.

At least Kevin King was a starter for us for years, and most of the time an above average one....but that Randall and Rollins draft was a massive blow....if even just one of them became a dependable starter for us the whole direction of the team may have swung differently.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all those MVS fans, looks like he's on the roster bubble in Buffalo.

No surprise to me, guessing that the Bears will be his next stop.

MVS is a specific role type WR....when he embraces it, and the team understands it he has value on a roster....issue is KC paid him to be more than he was, he took it and it cost him a job....best thing for his NFL career was to take less and find a role for a team that they saw worth the cost....but his decision got him BANK and it also got him some SB rings.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MVS is a specific role type WR....when he embraces it, and the team understands it he has value on a roster....issue is KC paid him to be more than he was, he took it and it cost him a job....best thing for his NFL career was to take less and find a role for a team that they saw worth the cost....but his decision got him BANK and it also got him some SB rings.
I agree, MVS has to be smiling with 2 SB rings and a big bank account.

I always saw him as a 1 trick pony, "go deep". Yes, that can be a nice option to try and spread the defense out, but I saw it as more of a "going for broke" distraction VS moving the ball down the field in long sustained drives option. Maybe he works ok with a guy like Rodgers, who is pretty accurate with deep balls, I just don't see him as a guy I want on the field for every down. Nor would I have wanted him with a young guy like Love.

I am glad that the Packers didn't try to retain him at the $10M/year that the Chiefs gave him. His 3 year deal, ended up only lasting 2 years and now he's hanging on to his NFL career by the hope that he can give a team that deep threat that they crave. If he ever became a guy that could consistently catch the ball (deep, medium or short) and run good short to mid routes, than yeah, I could see his value, but so far he has made over $22M in the NFL being that guy you hope catches the deep pass every once in awhile.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Jackson in the second was indisputable to nearly anyone that watched college film, studied prospects and followed the scouts. He like we see every year was a great example of the next level being too much for - and fast.
That might be the case, but there were also people saying that his 8 interceptions at Iowa were getting way too much attention and that he lacked the speed and ability to cover 1 on 1 in the NFL. Turns out those were correct assumptions and the NFL was too fast for him. I still think he would have made a better safety than a CB. I'm not motivated to look it up, but didn't other teams try him at safety? I also don't think, he ever played in another game after the Packers cut him?

Call it what you want, the Packer Scouts and Gute missed pretty bad on Jackson.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be the case, but there were also people saying that his 8 interceptions at Iowa were getting way too much attention and that he lacked the speed and ability to cover 1 on 1 in the NFL. Turns out those were correct assumptions and the NFL was too fast for him. I still think he would have made a better safety than a CB. I'm not motivated to look it up, but didn't other teams try him at safety? I also don't think, he ever played in another game after the Packers cut him?

Call it what you want, the Packer Scouts and Gute missed pretty bad on Jackson.

Gute was around but not the man in that draft.

Josh was active in two games after GB and saw 9 defensive snaps and 26 ST that first year gone.

Then in 2022 he was with ARI and PITT and saw 5 games, 85 defensive snaps and 22 ST snaps.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say it this way:

Ted undervalued those 2 DB's.

Ted and his scouts totally ***** the bed with their drafting of a number of DB's.
The real problem with Ted was in 2011 he broke the defense and spent the rest of his tenure chasing the roster on both sides of the ball. Gutey FINALLY if they put the starting lineup together on the O-Line FINALLY have a good starting line upa nd we can work on depth picks next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts