Green Bay Packers 2024 53 Man Roster <<predictions>>

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Each season a different division is selected to have an IPP player and like you said, why not use it. I assume that after the season that IPP designation goes away and the teams need to account for that player under normal roster rules but by that time you should have a pretty good idea where your PS guys stand.
The Kicker Alex Hale has been designated our new international player, after cutting Odumegwu. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown a lot of accuracy thus far (67%), but maybe he can be a work in progress that could get better with time, and without counting against the team, why not take that chance.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Carlson has the potential to be great...we know what Joeseph is, just ok

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ernest Jones IV is on the trade block...intriguing option to take one of the starting spots next to Walker

A starting unit of Jones, Walker and McDuffie to begin the season would be formidable. Especially when you factor in Cooper waiting in the wings to push McDuffie out of the starting lineup.

Jones also has the versatility to play at a high level at any of the 3 spots which would allow the Packers to play Quay Walker and eventually Cooper at the spot that's best for them

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ernest Jones is slated to make $3.1mil on his last year of rookie deal. A top-10 deal is over $10mil/yr. A top-20 deal is $7.17mil/yr. A top-30 deal is over $6mil/yr. Gute would need to trade a decent player & most likely a '25 pick for the right to pay minimum $6mil/yr. Hard pass, considering Gute just used a 2nd & 3rd rounder on ILB's AND they're in GB thru '27 unless they're a bust.

Reaction score
Edit: Kristian Welch knocks Eric Wilson of the roster
I disagree. Guys like Welch or Mosby earned a PS spot. Wilson is a good #3 iLB and 2X top couple of leaders on ST

Every year we have a LB or DL standout in Preseason. For me, that doesn’t erase a Starter level player. However it gives them an opportunity to come in as that LB4 in even Quay or Cooper or Wilson injure etc. You'll notice those Preseason experts almost always fade away within a season. It’s about consistency against the A team. not flashing against a B team. I do agree he’s earned a spot at the bottom. Great effort!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tyler Davis is the Special Teams "right hand man", so Wilson would need to outplay Davis both as viable 3rd TE AND on all units of ST. Possible, but not betting on Davis getting cut.
The fact that Tyler didn’t play says it all. This was a competition for PS and maybe maybe order on regular roster. Not as much replacing players. The primary battles were K, WR5-6, CB6, QB2-3, RB3

Reaction score
Anthony Johnson Jr really elevated himself imo. He didn’t cause that fumble, but his hustle and assertive behavior is refreshing after watching Savage (the antithesis) for 5 seasons. He’s what you need in a backup Safety, he’s almost always around the ball. He plays with tenacity.

Even when Caleb Jones was called out by Kuhn. He absolutely leveled his player even when out of position. The several plays before he demolished a Defender. One was a 6.5” 300lb DL. He rag dolled him and then jumped on him. Play before that he abused a Ravens 235lb LB who nearly didn’t get back up. He looked like Pratt on that injury after Caleb got hold of him. Even when Caleb was bested by speed he wins. he uses his length to smartly arm hook a defender buying time then just WWF body slams them. Go watch the film he 100% eliminates his guy. Now these are B on B teams so again, not sure if he can do that with a Probowl Edge etc.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Tyler Davis is the Special Teams "right hand man", so Wilson would need to outplay Davis both as viable 3rd TE AND on all units of ST. Possible, but not betting on Davis getting cut.
If that's the case with Davis (ST), then maybe Wilson beats out Sims. I was impressed with his fluid route running, and he seemed to catch everything thrown at him. Reminded me of Tonyan, especially in the hands aspect. If they are looking more at blocking, Sims might have the upper hand.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Carlson has the potential to be great...we know what Joeseph is, just ok
at least better than Joseph and since I don't really see any difference in them at this point I'd go with youth and potential

Reaction score
Pratt looks good, but not enough to overtake Clifford imo. He showed that with a tough INT on a poor read. He just needs time I think he can overtake Clifford long term.
If that's the case with Davis (ST), then maybe Wilson beats out Sims. I was impressed with his fluid route running, and he seemed to catch everything thrown at him. Reminded me of Tonyan, especially in the hands aspect. If they are looking more at blocking, Sims might have the upper hand.
Exactly what I was thinking with him.
Some guys look superior on fluidity of Receiving, but watch their blocks and tackling ability and other aspects. As in.. how about when asked for lane discipline on ST, global ST blocking assignment on K or P teams, where they will essentially live for a year or three. The catching of the ball for a 3rd TE is like 2/5 of their overall grade.

Thats where Tyler comes in. As a former QB he’s a higher IQ guy that just wins with mental acuity and + physical attributes. Well rounded and rarely makes mistakes. I think we’re fine with Musgrave and Kraft and Tyler on Teams. I do think Wilson will catch the eye of some team and be on someone’s PS this Fall. He moves like Musgrave for his size. He did drop a pass that squarely hit his hands. needs to learn to catch the ball first THEN turn upfield. 2/3 for 11 yards won’t cut it against backups. I see what you mean by potential, good eye there.

I think Tyler proved himself last Camp before injury. He was a clear TE3 without hesitation. He came off the 2022 plateau and looked to impress in 2023 in a larger capacity. Unfortunately he went down right as he was turning heads. The part idk is about his recovery and where he’s at. It takes a minute to get that confidence back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. Guys like Welch or Mosby earned a PS spot. Wilson is a good #3 iLB and 2X top couple of leaders on ST

Every year we have a LB or DL standout in Preseason. For me, that doesn’t erase a Starter level player. However it gives them an opportunity to come in as that LB4 in even Quay or Cooper or Wilson injure etc. You'll notice those Preseason experts almost always fade away within a season. It’s about consistency against the A team. not flashing against a B team. I do agree he’s earned a spot at the bottom. Great effort!

While I do agree Wilson is a top flight special teams player...I dont believe he's a player you want playing meaningful snaps on defense, let alone starting

Over the course of his career I think thats been proven. Right now he is slated to start at one of the 3 spots and thats a problem

With that being said Im looking for a way to get him back on the roster...perhaps by sending Dillon or Lloyd to IR

Reaction score
Ernest Jones IV is on the trade block...intriguing option to take one of the starting spots next to Walker

A starting unit of Jones, Walker and McDuffie to begin the season would be formidable. Especially when you factor in Cooper waiting in the wings to push McDuffie out of the starting lineup.

Jones also has the versatility to play at a high level at any of the 3 spots which would allow the Packers to play Quay Walker and eventually Cooper at the spot that's best for them
I think we will seeQuay Walker, Edgerrin Cooper and Wilson/McDuffie. As of lately they’ve went more with
Wilson.

Also we can’t ignore LB Ty’ron Hopper. Theres a reason we spent a 3rd Round draft pick on him. I now see why, he was dinged up in Camp, but comes right into the mix last week and is like a heat seeking missile. He has since led all Defenders with 16 Tackles (10 solo) in PS2/PS3 games. The only other player close is LB, Kristian Welch (12, 9 solo) who can easily be argued was the “best all-around Defender” this Preseason.

Personally I think we’re stacked at ILB. Unless we just get an absolute steal, I’d be looking for holes elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
5 position groups I think we have better than adequate depth and can feel comfortable without adding anyone would be

1. RB
Lloyd, Wilson, Merriweather, McCrary

2. ILB
Hopper, Wilson, Welch

3. DE
Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox Jr, Mosby

4. IDL
Wyatt, Brooks, Wooden

5. WR
DuBose, Melton, Heath, Toure

6. Safety
Williams, Johnson Jr, Oladapo

Last edited:
Reaction score
IF we could get a substantial upgrade and a solid depth piece. Call it a
“known Veteran” that could offer an immediate benefit to the point of challenging as a Starter. I’d be most excited with

1. Kicker

2. Boundary CB

3. Backup QB

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people are so high on Wilson the linebacker. He's never shown me a lot. Maybe it's the special teams thing which, unless a player is really special, is not sufficient reason to keep someone imo. I think they have to beat out everyone else at their position. Our special teams are not great. And so I find it hard to believe we need to keep players for it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people are so high on Wilson the linebacker. He's never shown me a lot. Maybe it's the special teams thing which, unless a player is really special, is not sufficient reason to keep someone imo. I think they have to beat out everyone else at their position. Our special teams are not great. And so I find it hard to believe we need to keep players for it.

Are people truly that high on him? I don't know a single Packer fan that thinks he could start and be a stud for 12 games or so...now he's shown he can give guys a blow, come in fresh and make some plays and go back to his ST role which is stellar.

Reaction score
After the Top 3 you get your worth on Teams. He’s consistently a Top 3 contributor on Teams.

Past that would be he’s experienced. Occasionally when we bring guys aboard I’ll research their stats, injuries etc. I remember when we brought on Eric and go look at his Stats in his only season as a Starter for the Vikings. He was what I’d call a “ProBowl Alternate” honorable mention iLB whatever. I even mistakenly thought he was our starting ILB in a 3-4. Go look at his 2021 or whatever it’s darn impressive.
Plays the Run good
Plays the Pass Coverage good
Plays Pass Rush good
Disruptive qualities FF etc.

It’s no mistake that the very FIRST punt coverage snap he took for the Packers. He forced a Fumble
That’s how you leave your mark!

We know where his ceiling is and imo it’s why we tendered him immediately after 2023 $$$. In our Win Now season you don’t experiment with Rookies. You work those guys in slowly and that goes for Day1 selections. Make them earn it behind the guys like McDuffie or Wilson. Look back to Gary or Van Ness or countless others it’s just how they assimilate them using a patient approach. Slow n steady. Its frustrating for a fan but it sorta reminds me of that Iowa Hawkeyes concept. Wilson might be gone by next year, but as of now he’s probably our Will OLB or next man up and Core ST coverage

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Top 3 you get your worth on Teams. He’s consistently a Top 3 contributor on Teams.

Past that would be he’s experienced. Occasionally when we bring guys aboard I’ll research their stats, injuries etc. I remember when we brought on Eric and go look at his Stats in his only season as a Starter for the Vikings. He was what I’d call a “ProBowl Alternate” honorable mention iLB whatever.
Triple facet Jack of All Trades is what I noticed.
Plays the Run good
Plays the Pass good
Plays Pass Rush good
Disruptive quality.

It’s no mistake that the very FIRST punt coverage snap he took for the Packers. He forced a Fumble
That’s how you leave your mark!

We know where his ceiling is. It’s Probowl level and we know in a Win Now season you don’t experiment with Rookies. You work those guys in slowly and that goes for Day1 selections. Make them earn it behind the guys like McDuffie or Wilson

So who you putting Wilson over of Walker, McDuffie, Cooper and Hopper?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$. In our Win Now season
I may be wrong and if so I apologize but you seem to be using that a lot lately. I'm not sure how you can say the youngest team in the league that just signed their upper echelon QB of the future to a top contract is on a win now mode. To me win now means you go all in because in a year or two you are screwed and I certainly don't see that.

Perhaps you mean more like win already as in they are already poised to contend as opposed to building up to contend in a couple of years and that I can understand. I do think the Packers have to be considered one of the top 5 teams im the NFC and they will be for a while.

I'm thinking its the latter but I'm just looking for clarification.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this team goes as the offense goes. So I hope the O line is up to it. It's good to have a great offense and a defense that is good enough. In other words, better than it has been.

Reaction score
So who you putting Wilson over of Walker, McDuffie, Cooper and Hopper?
Oh I’m not all afraid to answer that it’s actually a legit ? I think Isaiah is the better all around name. God woke me up one morning and I distinctly heard him say “there is strength in the words of Isaiah”. I immediately called my Brother and told him about this because he’s the only one who would’ve believe that. I read the book of Isaiah over the next 3 days without ceasing. It’s incredible I had no idea the power those words held. I was going through a terrible time in my life and had been asking him to intervene. It was life saving, literally. So I have profound respect for that name let’s get that behind us first!
I think Eric Wilson is a better “All- around” player than McDuffie. Yet you gotta remember that building a team isn’t about which player is better by themselves. It’s about making sure you put each player in the best position for TEAM success. Call it playing complimentary ball. Isaiah wouldn’t be better switching roles, so I’d leave him as our #3 behind and keep Wilson as a rotational player.

For anyone who thinks Eric is somehow substandard compared to our other LBs. Which LB listed above clearly exceeds the following in 1 season (inside 16 contests)
3 INT for 23 yards
9 Pass Defenses
1 Forced Fumble
2 Fumble Recoveries for 7 yards
3 Sacks
122 Tackles
8 Tackles for a Loss
9 QB hits

Pretty darn stout for a guy that went undrafted!
Just a couple of tidbits on Eric Wilson
- Eric drew 2nd Round Tender going into the 2020 season.
-Eric Wilson is the player nemesis that recovers Rodgers fumble (2020) ending our hopes of a comeback in our 13-3 season
Minn 28 GB 22

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts