2024 Roster Status/Tracker

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they gave him a real shot for his father Walter Stanley who really made some good plays for The Pack.
I missed that one. The father son connection always interested me in the NFL. Stanley and Philip Epps. They weren't that great but they were fun to watch.
Personally, I think it might have happened, even had they not traded for Willis. However, trading for Willis made cutting them both super easy.
Super easy. Barely an inconvenience. If you don't get it look it up on you tube. I think you would like it.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 53-man roster looks good to me the only thing that hurts is releasing Debose. I'm very high on him he's going to be a player. The problem is we have six other good receivers. I really hope we can put him on the practice squad and we can move them up when we have a injury

Reaction score
Where I feel the question marks will be are at RB and LB. One of our 3 backs will go down at some point and we do not have a FB. And very little experience with a Packer playbook. LB has numbers which is good but not a lot of reps. DL is as good as it’s been in 15 years.This is the toughest season to predict in a very long time.
Sure.
Heres my thoughts though at LB.
As a general rule, those 2 positions can get substantial production from Rookies, 2nd year players etc.

Quay Walker is an example of a recent Top 40 rated later (picked #22 overall) that came in and performed pretty well week 1. I think Edgerrin Cooper is in that same mold. He's too talented not to perform.

We also have Veteran’s McDuffie and Wilson who have plenty of combined experience. Then waiting in the wings we have our Top 100 pick in Hopper. While we are young, we are not short on great playmakers.

Then consider who are the other chain links all around them? Seasoned veterans. Rashan, Preston, Kenny, Wyatt, TJ, J’aire, Stokes, Xavier.

That is a loaded Cast of characters.

Reaction score
Terrible news on AJ. He’s a good guy and I just hate to see that for him.

That said. If we were going to have an injury, we lucked out a little. We just happened to select one of the best RB’s out of College last draft. We also picked up one of the more reliable Workhorse RB’s in Jacobs. Sprinkle in E Wilson and we’re good. As soon as AJ news was in our staff had a backup plan. We will obviously keep a 4th RB on PS, just in case. Possibly Mccrary

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, I'll remind you of another ST guy that seemed to always infuriate everyone. His name was Jarred Bush. That guy was a major reason that our ST did not suck for years. Similar to your statement about Zayne Anderson, Bush was considered only a ST'er. However, Jarred Bush actually deserved the Super Bowl MVP trophy in 2010. That guy came in for Woodson and balled out on defense, including an INT.

Nobody was happier for Bush that day than I was. He was a really good guy, very classy, and a good teammate. It was never his fault that he wasn't a better player than he was; he really wanted to be, and tried to be but he just wasn't.

I felt really badly for him when he finally learned how disliked he was by th fans. Like a lot of players, he didn't pay any attention to what people were saying about him, because all he cared about was what his coaches and teammates were telling him. And apparently, they were always very professional and supportive of him in their criticisms and suggestions.

Then one day, after a game in about his second year, some ******* beat reporter cornered himn at his locker while he was **********, and asked him something like"so, how does it feel to be the player that all Packer fans really hate the most"? Other reporters said that there was just silence for a moment, and Bush said "Hate me? Really hate me?"

He'd never really thought about that, and it really bothered him. He'd heard the boos, and knew he wasn't a star, and he worked really hard to try to be better (he'd study film until 2AM sometimes), but he didn't understand why people would personally hate him for not being better. He's not the kind of guy who would ever think like that.

He did improve somewhat steadily in his years here, because he worked his *** of, but he was just only ever going to get "so good". He topped out where he topped out, and eventually moved on to have a very nice and successful life in other areas.

Including a very happy marriage to a 5'10" Brazilian Olympic heptathlete, Lucimara da Silva.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So, the haters can hate him all they want. Somehow, I think he doesn't mind how his life went.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 53-man roster looks good to me the only thing that hurts is releasing Debose. I'm very high on him he's going to be a player. The problem is we have six other good receivers. I really hope we can put him on the practice squad and we can move them up when we have a injury
Was really rooting for him. Dude balled out during the preseason. Like you said, too many good receivers on the roster. That’s a good problem.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was really rooting for him. Dude balled out during the preseason. Like you said, too many good receivers on the roster. That’s a good problem.

I've been saying for months, maybe as many as half the wideouts we have on our roster right now we're never going to really know what their ultimate potential is until they they move on to other teams because of the logjam - either through getting snatched up as free agents starting next year because someone else offers them more than they would make as our #4 or 5 guy, or because someone offers us a pick or a player that helps us more than leaving them buried in the basement of our depth chart.

It takes reps not just to develop a WR, it takes reps just to see what their potential is to develop. Players like Donald Driver, James Jones, Greg Jennings, even Davante Adams took as many as 2 or 3 years of regular snaps before we really knew how good they were going to be. Considering how many people were howling to cut Driver, Jones, amd even Aadms the first year ior two, I wonder how many of them would have gotten the chances they eneded to prove themselves if they were #5 on the depth chart? Is Malik Heath the next Donald Driver?

At least two or three of the guys in the bottom half of our depth chart this month are just never going to see enough snaps in Green Bay to really show their full potential.

Any one of the top 6 or 7 WR's on our roster in 23 is a guy I wouldn't be shocked to see as a Top 3 on someone else's team in 25 or 26. That's not to say they all will make it, but any one of them seems to have the upside. I just hope we can as much as we can for as many of them as we can on their way out.

But the really exciting thing for me (and I know I've said this before, too) is - was this a fluke, or did Gute suddenly get extremely good at identifying WR talent and potential? Is this scouting, or winning the lottery 7 out of 7 times? Or, how much of it is Jason Vrabel, the WR coach/passing game coordinator who worked with Tom Clements last year to turn all these kids into such a lethal gang of downfield and sideline assassins? There was a lot of coaching that went into that, and I attribute that mostly to Vrabel because the receivers do also. They rave about how much he's improved their games and how quickly.

We don't have any new receivers this season, but we'll be drafting a couple more next year, and probably inviting some UFDAs. If that crop has anywhere near the same success that the Class of 22 and 23 had, we have to seriously consider that it's no longer just a matter of getting lucky - that some of the people who are responsible for this aspect of building a team are unusually good at what they do.

And that would bode very well for our future success.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern is RB. With Dillon out, there is no one but Wilson with any experience as a Packer back there. Blocking just became a huge concern imo.
Agreed. I personally was hoping Miami cut the better Wilson and that Gute was able to get him.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I feel like RB and K could be upgraded. Read what you want because it is kind of long, but these are currently available players.

Below is a list of RB’s I think are the best available. Pulled them off of Over the Cap website. Just some quick notes on each one.

Dalvin Cook: Older at 29 and injury prone. I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him. I think he has a season left in the tank. I don’t see the Packers signing him.
Kareem Hunt: Also older at 29, but proven. I don’t see the Pack signing him either. I think someone will give him a shot.
Jerick McKinnon: He’s 32, which is past the shelf life of RBs. Signing would be desperation.
Melvin Gordon: He’s 31 and past the shelf life. I personally would like to see it because of the WI connection.
Brandon Bolden: 34, nope.
Eno Benjamin: He’s only 25. This guy would be the Packers style. Cheap RB that has two years experience.
Salvon Ahmed: 26 with 4 years experience. This would be another one I could see.
Boston Scott: 29 with some experience with the Eagles. Would be his 7th season if signed.
Josh Kelley: 27 with 4 years experience with the Chargers. Seems like he will get a shot somewhere.
Matt Breida: 29 with a ton of experience. Would be his 8th season. The last two were with the Giants. Played well with the 49ers to start his career.
Kene Nwangwu: 26 with 3 years with the vikings. Nothing special.
Royce Freeman: 28 with 6 years experience with Broncos, Texans and Rams. Meh
Samaje Perine: 29 and 7 years in the league. Spent the last 4 with the Broncos. When healthy he’s a solid back.
D’Onta Foreman: 6 years in the league on 4 different teams. Unlikely.

I’m not sure of rookie running backs that were cut. Those with name recognition are all older and I’d wager they don’t have much left in the tank. I like Cook, Hunt, and Gordon. Of all of them though, I would probably go with Perine. The Packers don’t seem the type to bring in older running backs. I also think those guys would expect playing time.

With that said, I bet they stick with what they have. They will probably re-sign Merriweather and McCray to the practice squad. Possibly another running back off the radar. Maybe that Howard guy they cut earlier in training camp. I don’t see much movement for the time being after reviewing the list.

The kickers that were released and available are below with some quick notes.

Lucas Havrisik (Browns): Not a ton of experience. Played a bit for the Rams when their kicker got hurt. Got waived at the end of the year. I don’t see this guy as a challenger to Joseph.
Spencer Shrader (Colts): Rookie free agent out of Notre Dame. Big leg but inconsistent. Don’t see it.
Chad Rhyland (Patriots): Similar to Carlson. Was drafted in the 4th round by the Patriots last season and stunk. I could see them bringing him in to the practice squad, but don’t see him beating out Joseph.
Austin Seibert (Jets): Drafted in the 5th round by the Browns in 2019. Has bounced around a bit since. This is a really good candidate to bring in for a try out. I could see him challenging for kicker.
Jude McAtamney (Giants): International player with a big leg. I could see a tryout. Not sure I see him as the starter.
Charlie Smyth (Saints): Same as McAtamney. International player, might get a try out. Not better than Joseph.
Matthew Wright (Steelers): True contender for the job. 5 seasons in the NFL. He has kicked in 24 games going 40 of 47 on FGs and 35 of 37 extra points. I’d like to see them bring him in.
Brayden Narveson (Titans): This might be the guy. 6-for-7 on field-goal attempts with his longest make of 59 yards the Seahawks. Big leg. Hope they bring him in.

There could be other free agents I’m unaware of, but these were the guys released yesterday. Also might be some rookies out there. I highlighted Wright and Narveson. Those two I see as real opportunities for the Packers to upgrade.

Reaction score
I think I’m totally fine as long as Marshawn is back inside 2-3 weeks. Josh and Emmanuel would be fine holding down the fort imo.

I also think this opens the door to get a good look at our 3rd Rounder. I’m excited to see how he acclimates to the Pro level. Some thought Lloyd was a top 50 type RB prospect this draft.
IF he plays multiple games and struggles? then sign a veteran before trade deadline. I just don’t think bringing in an older washed up RB is a good idea at all.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd never really thought about that ..... So, the haters can hate him all they want. Somehow, I think he doesn't mind how his life went.
I didn't know anything about how that went down. Good for Jarrett Bush (finally spelled his name correctly). About a month ago I bought a signed Jarrett Bush jersey for relatively cheap. One of my buddies was definitely one of those haters. I never got it. We should all root for guys that play above and beyond their abilities, not hate them for not meeting our expectations at a position.

Good for Jarrett.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I’m totally fine as long as Marshawn is back inside 2-3 weeks. Josh and Emmanuel would be fine holding down the fort imo.

I also think this opens the door to get a good look at our 3rd Rounder. I’m excited to see how he acclimates to the Pro level. Some thought Lloyd was a top 50 type RB prospect this draft.
IF he plays multiple games and struggles? then sign a veteran before trade deadline. I just don’t think bringing in an older washed up RB is a good idea at all.
From what we've seen of Lloyd, I don't think we need to worry about him struggling. Only thing that concerns me is his hamstring; we all know how much that can derail the plans a team has for a key player. But aside from that, I think he's going to be one hell of an RB.

I'd like to see Green Bay put that Mcrary kid on the practice squad for insurance. If Lloyd misses a lot of time, he might make a reasonable #3. I really loved watching him run the other night; I keep replaying his carries on the All-22. His skills are limited in comparison to Lloyd and Wilson, but the guys's changed NFL teams 9 teams in 4 years, and you can see how hard he's tried to learn his lessons along the way. What he may lack in skill, he makes up for with discipline, focus, and technique. His fundamentals and his effort are tremendous.

Poor bastard has only 1 NFL regular season carry in 4 seasons, and that was for a 1-yard loss. But he just keeps going out there and trying his best. I think the Packers really liked what he did the other night, because they just kept going back to him - 64 yards on 11 carries.

Krabs

Reaction score
I bet they sign at least two RBs to the practice squad. Like I said, probably Merriweather and McCray.

Krabs

Reaction score
First practice squad guys just got signed. TE: Messiah Swinson, DL: James Ester

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said yesterday they had interest in Narveson from Tennessee he is now claimed. Johnson to giants dubose to Miami

Krabs

Reaction score
As expected QB Sean Clifford signed to practice squad. RB Merriweather, OL Lecitus Smith and Donovan Jennings, and CB Rochell.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Rookie UDFA, Narveson will come cheaper than Joseph. Sounds like he has a big leg, is reliable on extra points but only made 78% of his FG's in college. If he makes 78% of his FG's in the NFL, he won't last long. He'll need to gain a little more accuracy to stick around. A couple of percentage points makes a difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still think letting Anthony Johnson jr go was a mistake
I agree, but think it was a numbers game and maybe they felt Johnson wasn't getting any better? I also think the Packers view Zayne Anderson as a more complete player on Special Teams and as a backup S. Giants grabbed Johnson off waivers, so he's on a 53 for now. I saw Dubose went to Miami, Pratt to the Buccaneers.

I wish they had cut both Carlson and Joseph yesterday. Would have freed up a spot for Dubose or Anthony Johnson Jr. Now granted, that means you gotta cut a guy or waiver him through to the PS when you find that K, which they did today, but I think you stand a better chance doing that a few days after the final 53, waivers and PS's are filled and not losing him.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts