WR corps

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Dad always says "Your Mom is out spending all my money". To which I reply, "What is she doing with her half of the money?" He has yet to understand what I mean. :roflmao:
Without delving too deep into that rathole... I often wonder why some people actually bother to get married.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. I see now that you don’t want to have a reasonable discussion, just throw a pissy fit. Fine by me. Have a great day!

If I went to a car dealership and saw a car with an MSRP of $40,000 and then offered the salesman $15,000, would that be me really trying to buy a car?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
plus figure at least 3 weeks to learn a playbook and get timing down with a new QB and offense he's never been in and that's being generous so we're right back to 8 games of use.

and the 5 million bucks that could go towards signing a premium Left Tackle next year or a top 5 running back you're always saying we need to keep will be gone. Don't forget about that.

All worth it. I'll take 3 weeks to learn so long as the guy is making our offense look more like the Chiefs for the playoffs. The defense isn't getting fixed this year and, while the offense is terrific against most defenses, I question how great it will be against elite defenses.

And why are we spending an extra $5 million next year? If you let him go to another team then you're not spending the money on him; and if you DO re-sign him, then it's even better because you'd only do that if he was REALLY, REALLY good for the team!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All worth it. I'll take 3 weeks to learn so long as the guy is making our offense look more like the Chiefs for the playoffs. The defense isn't getting fixed this year and, while the offense is terrific against most defenses, I question how great it will be against elite defenses.

And why are we spending an extra $5 million next year? If you let him go to another team then you're not spending the money on him; and if you DO re-sign him, then it's even better because you'd only do that if he was REALLY, REALLY good for the team!
that 5 million is what you would have had to pay him for those 8 (or 11) weeks . If you spend it this year you don’t have it next year. Anything the Packers have left in cap space this year rolls over into next years available cap. I’m pretty sure you have been insisting that they sign Jones ... if not how about any of the other free agents on this team....

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m not sure why this is getting difficult for you, but I guess I’ll try again.

Attempting to trade for a player, is an action. It is a direct sign towards wanting to improve what is there.

You seem to be purposefully ignoring the point here and moving the goal posts.

You don't understand that Gutekunst solely trying to improve the team without actually making a transaction isn't going to help the team down the road.

Yet it seems a lot of fans are content with him trying to pick up the phone to inquire about a player.

So in your mind, he only cares about improving the position if he forces through a move? Even if he doesn't feel the move is right for the team?

Once again, I wouldn't have been in favor of giving up a second rounder for Fuller considering he would have cost more than $5 million for the rest of the season.

A move for a receiver wouldn't have been necessary if Gutekunst didn't release Fulgham during camp.

And before all of you are up in arms about me mentioning that I fully understand it was a difficult decision to be made but that's why Gutekunst gets paid several million bucks a year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s certainly possible that Fulgham was not assessed correctly by the coaching staff though to be fair, scouts most certainly saw something in him for Gutekunst to bring him in the first place. We also don’t know anything about Fulgham’s attitude or performance while he was here. Also, some guys fit better in other teams and Fulgham may have found his good fit. Anyone who has played a lot of team sports knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even know that guy was ever on our team, so i don't miss him much.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very small sample size on fulgham
if he puts up another year and a half of solid production
then i'll be sad panda
until then, he's jag to me

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You don't understand that Gutekunst solely trying to improve the team without actually making a transaction isn't going to help the team down the road.

Yet it seems a lot of fans are content with him trying to pick up the phone to inquire about a player.

Once again, I wouldn't have been in favor of giving up a second rounder for Fuller considering he would have cost more than $5 million for the rest of the season.

A move for a receiver wouldn't have been necessary if Gutekunst didn't release Fulgham during camp.

And before all of you are up in arms about me mentioning that I fully understand it was a difficult decision to be made but that's why Gutekunst gets paid several million bucks a year.

I understand that a non-move is not going to help the team. That's obvious. And I think it's fine if someone wants to critique the FO for not keeping Fulgham, especially if people are going to complement the FO for finding Lazard.

But this started with sunshine saying that Gutekunst doesn't think the WR position needs to be better. Criticizing a move or a non-move is one thing. Deciding that, because he didn't decide there was a good move to be made, he is happy with status quo is something else.

We aren't going to be privy to the internal decision making of the FO. But we know that the Packers have been in on big name WR free agents in the past who ended up getting huge deals elsewhere (Watkins, Allen). Reports indicate that the WR's that the Packers liked in the 1st were gone. My suspicion is that Aiyuk was the last one they wanted. And Gute himself said that they were trying to move up in the 2nd for some guys that they liked, but the deal didn't materialize. And clearly, they were working on acquiring a WR at the deadline this year and it didn't work out. So either there is a massive misinformation campaign coming out of 1265 Lombardi to convince Packer fans that they see a need there... or Gute genuinely just sees a need there.

So to me, saying that he doesn't care or he's just content is a temper tantrum. Which does not necessarily mean that he's been right in all of his decisions. But in general, I'm not going to ride the emotional roller coaster and live or die with every move or non-move.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It’s certainly possible that Fulgham was not assessed correctly by the coaching staff though to be fair, scouts most certainly saw something in him for Gutekunst to bring him in the first place. We also don’t know anything about Fulgham’s attitude or performance while he was here. Also, some guys fit better in other teams and Fulgham may have found his good fit. Anyone who has played a lot of team sports knows exactly what I’m talking about.

very small sample size on fulgham
if he puts up another year and a half of solid production
then i'll be sad panda
until then, he's jag to me

You both took the words right out of my mouth. I'm happy for Fulgham, the stars have aligned for him in Philly so far. Even if he does turn into a Pro Bowl player, I'm going to chalk it up to just a guy that the Packers may have misjudged due to the inability to really get a good look at him during an unusual preseason. Even the Eagles originally cut him and then put him on their PS. Hell, had he been kept on the Packers PS, he may still be there.

He might have had a really bad practice and someone like Malik Turner shined that day and the decision was made. Seems like for every 50 or so of these peripheral kind of guys, you might get one that ends up having a decent career. Still hoping that will be the case with Lazard, but losing hope on the rest of this years "hopeful WR projects".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually, this is much better than TT. You have to check first. You need to know the cost.

This has been said in the past, but I think its important to say it again. Do we really know what TT and Gute were doing in situations like these? Seems that we are relying on "rumor has it" or "there was a report that said" or even worse, fan/media speculation on what the Packers should be doing.

More importantly, as Captain said, until Gute actually does something (trade, draft pick, waiver claim, etc.) in a situation, he has done nothing. You don't get trophies for siting on your hands or just for participating in conversations, you get them when you actually make the move, even better if that move works. All that said, Gute used 3 picks (4th, 5th and 6th rounder's) in 2018 on WR's, signed a bunch of UDFA WR's as well as Funchess. So its not like he hasn't done anything, but I think its safe to say that he hasn't done enough, nor has he been overly successful at the little he has done to address the situation.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Captain, that is not what I’m arguing! You are quite literally making up your own argument to fit what you want to talk about!

I am saying that Gute’s interest in trading for a WR is evidence he wanted to improve the position. This is in response to people saying that bc he didn’t make a move, he must be happy with what we have.

I never said that him not making a move would improve the team. I never said I’m content with no moves. I never said anything about any of that. So before you tell me what I don’t understand, it might help if you can show a little grasp on what I was actually talking about.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fulgham was here for like 4 days. He didn’t even get time in Philly until they had a pile of injuries. I don’t think anybody knew what they had in him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been said in the past, but I think its important to say it again. Do we really know what TT and Gute were doing in situations like these?
Well, what did TT do? I just remember nothing happening. I don't think he looked much. I think he thought he could do everything from the draft. And yeah, I think it is good to look. You gotta know the cost and then decide if it is worth it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Fulgham was here for like 4 days. He didn’t even get time in Philly until they had a pile of injuries. I don’t think anybody knew what they had in him.
Fulgham has come on just like Lazard did when opportunity called. It’s great to see that happen for guys who work at it and keep plugging away.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, what did TT do? I just remember nothing happening. I don't think he looked much. I think he thought he could do everything from the draft. And yeah, I think it is good to look. You gotta know the cost and then decide if it is worth it.
Thompson pulled in a lot of guys off the street. Most of course were not big names which is where many people get their chill bumps.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

All I was saying is "what do we actually know to be fact?" We can all speculate that TT never made calls or did any due diligence on big name FA's or High profile trades that didn't ever happen, but do we know for a fact that he and the Packers weren't doing anything? Same with Gute, what do we know for facts? The media and us fans love to speculate and I think a lot of that gets interpreted as "facts".

Even the recent Will Fuller deal, here was MLF's comment on it and I haven't seen a comment by Gute.

“I don’t know if anything ever got that serious,” LaFleur said of the negotiations.

This article, for whatever it itself is worth, shows just how things get interpreted by the media/fans. Pretty soon nobody knows fact from fiction. Not that I really trust the NY Post for facts, but here is their spin on the Will Fuller deal.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/04/packers-respond-to-friction-talk-after-failed-will-fuller-trade/

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed pretty obvious to me. No, I've never met TT. But I think the new trend to disbelieve the press in general is way overdone.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It seemed pretty obvious to me. No, I've never met TT. But I think the new trend to disbelieve the press in general is way overdone.
Imo, the press has very much earned the massive amount of distrust in them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Absolutely agree. They have become so ridiculously partisan in their supposed "objective" coverage to the point of irrelevance. I don't waste my time with their garbage. I'd much rather read people, from both sides and in between, who are honest enough to admit their bias and point of view.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it depends on who you consider the press. I don't consider fox or cnn press. But the major newspapers in big cities and cbs, nbc, bbc, reuters, these are the press and don't deserve all the distrust. imo

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s certainly possible that Fulgham was not assessed correctly by the coaching staff though to be fair, scouts most certainly saw something in him for Gutekunst to bring him in the first place. We also don’t know anything about Fulgham’s attitude or performance while he was here. Also, some guys fit better in other teams and Fulgham may have found his good fit.

There's no doubt the Packers made a mistake evaluating Fulgham. In addition there hasn't been any report of his attitude having been an issue in Green Bay, therefore bringing it up for no reason doesn't seem to be a valid point by any means.

As a side note I'm quite sure he would have felt comfortable catching balls from Rodgers as well.

But this started with sunshine saying that Gutekunst doesn't think the WR position needs to be better. Deciding that, because he didn't decide there was a good move to be made, he is happy with status quo is something else.

So to me, saying that he doesn't care or he's just content is a temper tantrum.

Once again I'm not arguing Gutekunst is content with the talent level at wide receiver. He should be evaluated based on the moves he made and not the one he was supposedly interested in though.

Hell, had he been kept on the Packers PS, he may still be there.

Just for the record, the Pckers had no chance of putting Fulgham on their prqctice squad as he was claimed off waivers by the Eagles once he was released.

This is in response to people saying that bc he didn’t make a move, he must be happy with what we have.

I never said that him not making a move would improve the team. I never said I’m content with no moves. I never said anything about any of that. So before you tell me what I don’t understand, it might help if you can show a little grasp on what I was actually talking about.

As mentioned before I don't believe Gutekunst is satisfied with the talent level at wide receiver.

My whole point is that fans shouldn't be happy with him trying to improve it if in reality he hasn't made any moves to get it actually done.

Yet there's no doubt the front office and coaching staff made a mistake in letting him walk away.

Fulgham has come on just like Lazard did when opportunity called. It’s great to see that happen for guys who work at it and keep plugging away.

I would be more happy if it happened with the Packers though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers made a mistake evaluating Fulgham. In addition there hasn't been any report of his attitude having been an issue in Green Bay, therefore bringing it up for no reason doesn't seem to be a valid point by any means.

As a side note I'm quite sure he would have felt comfortable catching balls from Rodgers as well.

Once again I'm not arguing Gutekunst is content with the talent level at wide receiver. He should be evaluated based on the moves he made and not the one he was supposedly interested in though.

Just for the record, the Pckers had no chance of putting Fulgham on their prqctice squad as he was claimed off waivers by the Eagles once he was released.

As mentioned before I don't believe Gutekunst is satisfied with the talent level at wide receiver.

My whole point is that fans shouldn't be happy with him trying to improve it if in reality he hasn't made any moves to get it actually done.

Yet there's no doubt the front office and coaching staff made a mistake in letting him walk away.

I would be more happy if it happened with the Packers though.
It’s utterly amazing how much inside information you must possess to be so certain of your absolute claims and so dismissive of other point of views.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts