WR corps

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The discussions with the Texans about Will Fuller must have been a sham and smoke screen then.

Hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

For me, a second-round pick would be a lot to give up for essentially a rental - A fourth rounder would be more like it. So if the Texans did not wish to come down from that, I'm fine with Green Bay not making the trade.

It didn't exactly work out for Houston, either - Fuller probably leaves at the end of the season, and in the meantime he's not likely to do them much good.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The receiver corp is pretty bad outside of Adams, obviously. It's apparent that Gute doesn't think it needs to be better, that's also obvious.

While I agree with the first part of your statement, I don't fully agree with the last half. I think Gute is aware of the need for better Receivers, thus his going out and signing Funchess and reportedly in trade talks for Fuller. All that said, I don't think Gute feels the need to upgrade the receivers is as urgent as some of us seem to think that it is. That is evidenced by pretty much everything he has done since he took over, including players he let walk in Free Agency. Further highlighted by his 2020 draft decisions and then only signing Funchess in Free Agency. Gute used 3 draft picks (4th, 5th and 6th rounders) in his very first draft, he doesn't have a lot to show for that limited foray into improving his receiving group. His best move to date, in regards to WR's, was signing Allen Lazard off the Jaguars Practice Squad in Dec. of 2018. We can only hope that Lazard can continue to progress.

IMO, Gute has over relied on the development of all these young WR's. He might be rewarded if Lazard continues to develop, but meanwhile, he has not given a FHOF QB much in the way of WR talent to work with since his arrival as GM in 2018.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receiver corp is pretty bad outside of Adams, obviously. It's apparent that Gute doesn't think it needs to be better, that's also obvious. Talking about this is just going in circles. The Packers are currently the Chiefs on defense, but the Saints on offense; that's good for the playoffs but absolutely not good enough for the Super Bowl. Gute is okay with that, he's just biding his time and letting Rodgers provide him job security until it's Love's turn (and for those excited about Love, bear in mind that the chance of him being a top-5 NFL QB in his first 3 seasons is pretty much nil).

If Gute didn’t think it needs to be better, why target a WR in trade?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It was clearly a sham and smoke screen to try and get PackerForum posters to think he was actually trying to do something. I was sucked in by it, but clearly there are others not so easily duped.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The discussions with the Texans about Will Fuller must have been a sham and smoke screen then.

I saw those articles too. We must have been reading the Onion.

(and for those excited about Love, bear in mind that the chance of him being a top-5 NFL QB in his first 3 seasons is pretty much nil).

Bear in mind Rodgers was not a top 5 NFL QB in his first three seasons.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with the first part of your statement, I don't fully agree with the last half. I think Gute is aware of the need for better Receivers, thus his going out and signing Funchess and reportedly in trade talks for Fuller. All that said, I don't think Gute feels the need to upgrade the receivers is as urgent as some of us seem to think that it is. That is evidenced by pretty much everything he has done since he took over, including players he let walk in Free Agency. Further highlighted by his 2020 draft decisions and then only signing Funchess in Free Agency. Gute used 3 draft picks (4th, 5th and 6th rounders) in his very first draft, he doesn't have a lot to show for that limited foray into improving his receiving group. His best move to date, in regards to WR's, was signing Allen Lazard off the Jaguars Practice Squad in Dec. of 2018. We can only hope that Lazard can continue to progress.

IMO, Gute has over relied on the development of all these young WR's. He might be rewarded if Lazard continues to develop, but meanwhile, he has not given a FHOF QB much in the way of WR talent to work with since his arrival as GM in 2018.

When you pin your hopes on the development of an undrafted guy and fifth and sixth round guys that haven't shown anything, you're pretty much signaling you think the team is good with one good receiver. Also, remember, he ignored receiver in this draft so he could draft a 3 year backup at QB, a backup QB, and a backup FB/TE. I'm still a little bitter about that, especially considering the team currently appears in line to either overpay to keep King at CB or Sullivan being the second corner next year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bear in mind Rodgers was not a top 5 NFL QB in his first three seasons.

Great, I COMPLETELY agree with that! Which means it will most likely be, what, 5-6 years from now before the Packers have an elite QB again (if Love beats the odds and becomes an elite QB)? That sounds like SUPER team building when you currently have the best QB in the NFL on your roster RIGHT NOW.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you only offer a 4th (which is what the reports have stated) for Will Fuller, you're not really trying to trade, you just don't know the Texans fired Bill O'Brien.

A 4th for 8 games and the loss of ability to roll that cap space into 2021. It’s a lot more complex than what you are making it sound.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gutekunst clearly trying to be bad on purpose. There’s just no doubt. Lol at the rubes who can’t see it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you only offer a 4th (which is what the reports have stated) for Will Fuller, you're not really trying to trade, you just don't know the Texans fired Bill O'Brien.

You keep forgetting to add "8 games of" right before the "Will Fuller" part

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, actions speak louder than words.

According to reports Gutekunst was interested in upgrading the wide receiver position but ultimately ended up not making a move to get it done.

That's the only thing of interest to me though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

According to reports Gutekunst was interested in upgrading the wide receiver position but ultimately ended up not making a move to get it done.

I’m not sure why this is getting difficult for you, but I guess I’ll try again.

Attempting to trade for a player, is an action. It is a direct sign towards wanting to improve what is there.

You seem to be purposefully ignoring the point here and moving the goal posts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

So in your mind, he only cares about improving the position if he forces through a move? Even if he doesn't feel the move is right for the team?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 4th for 8 games and the loss of ability to roll that cap space into 2021. It’s a lot more complex than what you are making it sound.

Not really, it's just the difference between thinking the Texans are drunk or offering something of actual value for a valuable asset.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really, it's just the difference between thinking the Texans are drunk or offering something of actual value for a valuable asset.

Okay. I see now that you don’t want to have a reasonable discussion, just throw a pissy fit. Fine by me. Have a great day!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bet you guys anything that Gutekunst offered a 6th and when they balked, he lowered it to a 7th, ripped a loud fart on the Zoom call, and laughed at them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Okay. I see now that you don’t want to have a reasonable discussion, just throw a pissy fit. Fine by me. Have a great day!

Why can't you see that there was this super obvious deal to be made for this super awesome player at this super reasonable price that... no team made.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
11 games of would be more accurate...and still worth moving down 30 spots in the draft in trade.

plus figure at least 3 weeks to learn a playbook and get timing down with a new QB and offense he's never been in and that's being generous so we're right back to 8 games of use.

and the 5 million bucks that could go towards signing a premium Left Tackle next year or a top 5 running back you're always saying we need to keep will be gone. Don't forget about that.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
plus figure at least 3 weeks to learn a playbook and get timing down with a new QB and offense he's never been in and that's being generous so we're right back to 8 games of use.

and the 5 million bucks that could go towards signing a premium Left Tackle next year or a top 5 running back you're always saying we need to keep will be gone. Don't forget about that.
I would love to get a look at his personal finances. Is he strapped with Credit Card debt because of all those can’t pass up sales .... or is it only the Packers’ assets he wants to spend. I get it we all want another Super bowl .... And taking just this argument on its face I think it would have been a bad deal.... but when you add the Aaron Jones thread... like you have alluded to, A little more perspective is gleaned as to the rationality of the poster.

Members online

Latest posts