WR corps

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is all moot.

Love will either be ready to start and play well in 2022 or he won’t. Where he was on the depth chart after a weird 2020 offseason does not matter.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is all moot.

Love will either be ready to start and play well in 2022 or he won’t. Where he was on the depth chart after a weird 2020 offseason does not matter.

I agree, it might take longer than until 2022 before the Packers might consider moving on from Rodgers to Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Justin Herbert doesn't seem to care ;)

While I understand he was selected 20 spots before the Packers were on the clock many suggested that Love was the better prospect.

Come on man, now you are just making up arguments ;)

Of all the positions on the Football field that I am the least concerned about a rookie, during a season with shortened camps and no preseason, being behind 2 veterans that are very familiar with running the teams offense, it would be QB.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Boyle definitely benefitted from being in MLF's system last season but a first round pick should be talented enough to move past him for the backup job during his rookie campaign nevertheless.
I think you underestimate just how much mental preparation goes into becoming a successful NFL quarterback. Just because Boyle was an UDFA doesn’t mean he is a no talent schmuck.
It also appears to me that you are in total disagreement with this franchise’s way of recruiting new players and the timeline of their development processes. Perhaps you’d find more satisfaction in the way the Vikings, Bears and Lions ET al conduct their operations. You come across in your postings as being miserable with management’s decisions. It must be pure luck that again we find our team currently undefeated and on top of our division, eh?

D

Deleted member 6794

Of all the positions on the Football field that I am the least concerned about a rookie, during a season with shortened camps and no preseason, is stuck behind 2 veterans that are very familiar with running the teams offense, it would be QB.

Boyle might be familiar with kneeling down at the end of a game (10 times since the start of the 2019 season) but running the offense after having a total of four career pass attempts???

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible Love develops into a decent NFL quarterback but him throwing more interceptions than any other quarterback in the FBS while facing inferior competition is reason for concern about his decision making.

Justin Herbert doesn't seem to care ;)

While I understand he was selected 20 spots before the Packers were on the clock many suggested that Love was the better prospect.

Who suggested that Love was better than Herbert?

I can’t speak for all, but @Dantes can back this up, I thought Herbert was the best QB in the draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle might be familiar with kneeling down at the end of a game (10 times since the start of the 2019 season) but running the offense after having a total of four career pass attempts???

Exactly what is it you think they do in practice and team meetings all season long?

Does Boyle have extended in game experience running the offense? No. Does he have experience running the offense in practice, and over a year of studying the offense with the coaches? YES.

People who have never played show that they don’t understand how important that time is. This is just another example. If this were a normal year, with normal practices, and normal training camps, and a normal pre-season, you *might* have a point. But, it hasn’t been normal, and your refusal to acknowledge any of that just to cling to “being right” is inane.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Come on man, Boyle has been through 3 camps, plenty of practices and preseason games, worked with most of the guys on the offense and most importantly has had his nose in MLF's playbook much longer than Love has.

If I go by what you just said as the sole measuring stick to judge a QB, it would be reckless as hell for Love to be the #2, since he has 0 kneel downs, 0 passes (including preseason) and 0 snaps in the NFL.

I would understand your argument a little better if Love was a WR, which is a much easier position to crack the starting lineup as a high draft pick rookie, but QB?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers were 0-4 and Rodgers was injured and out for the season, I think we would see both Boyle and Love getting a lot of time at QB, much like preseason games. However, the Packers began the year with aspirations of Aaron Rodgers leading them to a Super Bowl and as of now, at 4-0, that looks like a possibility. If Rodgers gets knocked out of a game due to a concussion or some other semi minor injury, MLF has determined that Boyle's knowledge of the team makes him next man up. Does that make Love a bust or a disappointment? Not for me, just tells me Boyle is more ready for that situation if it arises during a game.

I think anyone that expected Love to be ready to jump right in and play in 2020, just because of his draft position, had unrealistic expectations. By the same token, to use the fact that he is the #3 as some kind of measuring stick of his future in the NFL is a bit over the top in trying to further your point that you didn't like the draft pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle definitely benefitted from being in MLF's system last season but a first round pick should be talented enough to move past him for the backup job during his rookie campaign nevertheless.
He may be talented enough, and they may be keeping him buried because he doesn't need to be. The pre seasons was non existent, they don't need him to be great now or even good now. They may be playing the slow game with him. Breaking it all down, solid foundation and then move on to the next. Boyle may in fact have earned it and be playing pretty good behind closed doors. Regardless, Love wasn't drafted for now, but for likely 3 years from now. I don't care if they play the slow game with him whether he's ready for more or not right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

It also appears to me that you are in total disagreement with this franchise’s way of recruiting new players and the timeline of their development processes. Perhaps you’d find more satisfaction in the way the Vikings, Bears and Lions ET al conduct their operations. You come across in your postings as being miserable with management’s decisions. It must be pure luck that again we find our team currently undefeated and on top of our division, eh?

Overall there's no doubt the Packers have been one of the best teams in the league since acquiring Favre in 1992.

Management deserves at least part of the blame for the team not winning more than two Super Bowls while having an unprecedented run of HOF quarterbacks starting every single season over that span.

I definitely don't want the team to operate like any other team in the division but to strive for what the Patriots have achieved with their HOF quarterback.

Unfortunately it's too late for that in the Rodgers' era.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does that make Love a bust or a disappointment?

It seems that most of you seem to ignore that I have never mentioned anything about Love being a bust or disappointment because he hasn't been able to move past Boyle on the depth chart.

It would be extremely stupid to make such an assessment at this point in his career.

But I'm concerned because of it, just like about the fact that he threw more interceptions than any other quarterback in the FBS last season.

I think anyone that expected Love to be ready to jump right in and play in 2020, just because of his draft position, had unrealistic expectations. By the same token, to use the fact that he is the #3 as some kind of measuring stick of his future in the NFL is a bit over the top in trying to further your point that you didn't like the draft pick.

Once again, Justin Herbert is doing great with the Chargers while being faced with exactly the same situation this offseason.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not using Love being third on the depth chart as any measuring stick to predict his future in the NFL.

Regardless, Love wasn't drafted for now, but for likely 3 years from now.

That's my main issue with trading up to select Love. The Packers should have used that pick to improve their chances of winning the Super Bowl this season after making it to the NFCCG last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my main issue with trading up to select Love. The Packers should have used that pick to improve their chances of winning the Super Bowl this season after making it to the NFCCG last year.
and I agree, but make an exception for the QB position and a couple other positions I think are premium. LT, DB, Pass rushers. In that case if you think you have a super star in the making, but maybe have 2 already, he's an easy rotation guy year 1 and grows into a star at a premium position. I don't think you really pass those up, but they also aren't a "take 'em" if they're there either situation. But for QB, if you think a guy is going to be good, teams should take him regardless of what your current situation is. Good QB's are pretty hard to come by and they can make or break an entire team. I don't think good ones come along even every year, so my hope is GB thinks Love is going to be really good and they're right. If he is, It's a great pick.

But unlike DB's and Pass rushers or LT's, they don't come along in multiples every draft. So while you could argue taking a project pass rusher vs a starting DB i probably wouldn't feel too strongly one way or the other. with DB's and Pass rushers I happen to think if you don't have at least 3 you could use the help but taking one to leave a glaring weakness when someone is there that can be pretty good at their position isn't always smart either. I just think it's different for QB and we won't know until the kid proves his worth or not as to what kind of pick it was.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who suggested that Love was better than Herbert?

I don't want to put too much effort into searching the entire forum but here's one of your own posts right after the draft:

The premise that Love was at best, the 4th to 6th QB in the draft is false. Every team, grades differently.

Rodgers was a potential #1 pick, who clearly didn't go #1. Some teams had him #1, some teams didn't.

I know for sure Greg Cosell, for example, had Love above Herbert. Might have had him above Tua, but I cannot recall.

Exactly what is it you think they do in practice and team meetings all season long?

Does Boyle have extended in game experience running the offense? No. Does he have experience running the offense in practice, and over a year of studying the offense with the coaches? YES.

People who have never played show that they don’t understand how important that time is. This is just another example. If this were a normal year, with normal practices, and normal training camps, and a normal pre-season, you *might* have a point. But, it hasn’t been normal, and your refusal to acknowledge any of that just to cling to “being right” is inane.

Once again, I understand that Boyle benefits from having more knowledge of the offense based on being in the system in 2019 as well.

I think you put too much stock into it. How else would it be possible that it took Jalen Hurts only a week to move past Nate Sudfeld on the Eagles depth chart although the veterans has been in their system for four years???

Don't act as if Love didn't have a chance if he performed up to expectations in camp.

Come on man, Boyle has been through 3 camps, plenty of practices and preseason games, worked with most of the guys on the offense and most importantly has had his nose in MLF's playbook much longer than Love has.

If I go by what you just said as the sole measuring stick to judge a QB, it would be reckless as hell for Love to be the #2, since he has 0 kneel downs, 0 passes (including preseason) and 0 snaps in the NFL.

I would understand your argument a little better if Love was a WR, which is a much easier position to crack the starting lineup as a high draft pick rookie, but QB?

Of course it will depend on who the coach is.

See my reply to Gary above.

D

Deleted member 6794

and I agree, but make an exception for the QB position and a couple other positions I think are premium. LT, DB, Pass rushers. In that case if you think you have a super star in the making, but maybe have 2 already, he's an easy rotation guy year 1 and grows into a star at a premium position. I don't think you really pass those up, but they also aren't a "take 'em" if they're there either situation. But for QB, if you think a guy is going to be good, teams should take him regardless of what your current situation is. Good QB's are pretty hard to come by and they can make or break an entire team. I don't think good ones come along even every year, so my hope is GB thinks Love is going to be really good and they're right. If he is, It's a great pick.

But unlike DB's and Pass rushers or LT's, they don't come along in multiples every draft. So while you could argue taking a project pass rusher vs a starting DB i probably wouldn't feel too strongly one way or the other. with DB's and Pass rushers I happen to think if you don't have at least 3 you could use the help but taking one to leave a glaring weakness when someone is there that can be pretty good at their position isn't always smart either. I just think it's different for QB and we won't know until the kid proves his worth or not as to what kind of pick it was.

Even if Love ends up performing up to his draft position I think it would have been smarter to use the pick to upgrade this year's roster, improving the chances of winning another Super Bowl with a quarterback you know can perform at an elite level.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to put too much effort into searching the entire forum but here's one of your own posts right after the draft:

Okay, Greg Cosell is one. You said many. I believe the context of my response there was with some people saying that “everybody” had Love as the 4th best at best. Again, there I was trying to correct the hyperbole.

As far as Hurts, different system, different coach, and different players. While Boyle was an UDFA, sure seems like recent reports have him playing quite well. Not all scenarios are the same, as you should know.

Like Dantes said, we’ll find out in a few years. I’m not arrogant enough to say right now whether it was a good pick or bad pick, the correct choice or wrong choice.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we talking about QBs when EQSB(or whatever his acronym is around here nowadays) is returning to action for the first time this season? I thought this thread was about the WR Corps?

Get hyped already!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why are we talking about QBs when EQSB(or whatever his acronym is around here nowadays) is returning to action for the first time this season? I thought this thread was about the WR Corps?

Get hyped already!!!!

Jeesh, no kidding and good point! Ever since they hired these new mods and paid them a fortune, this place has gone to hell in a hand basket fast! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeesh, no kidding and good point! Ever since they hired these new mods and paid them a fortune, this place has gone to hell in a hand basket fast! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
What?!?! I haven’t received anything! Where’s my check?!?!

must admit I haven’t paid any attention to thread drift. Need to get my moderator head straight if there gonna pay me a fortune.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
must admit I haven’t paid any attention to thread drift. Need to get my moderator head straight if there gonna pay me a fortune.

Speaking only for myself, I don't mind a bit of drift, I think its how conversations in the real world naturally take place. But that is just me. ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all moot.

Why 2022? I'd say the very earliest love plays is 2023. If they think love is the guy they place him as the starter in the off season and trade aaron rodgers...I highly doubt they make that move prior to then

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why 2022? I'd say the very earliest love plays is 2023. If they think love is the guy they place him as the starter in the off season and trade aaron rodgers...I highly doubt they make that move prior to then

Because 2022 is when I expect the transition to take place. But the particular season is not the point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because 2022 is when I expect the transition to take place. But the particular season is not the point.

Yeah and I'm asking why would you think they would do that after next season? With Rodgers likely to still be playing just as well as he is now, I think they give him this shot and 2 more with this team...of course this is all assuming love develops how everyone hopes he does

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Nobody is going to be instantly as good as Rodgers. Just like Rodgers wasn't instantly better than Favre. I hope Love is the 3rd HOF QB in a row to hit Green Bay and if in that slim chance that he is, I don't expect we see that for a number of years. Until then, I am just fine with #12 playing out his career in Green Bay.

Members online