Breaking Down the NFC North, 2024

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just slightly off-topic, I was pleased to learn a few weeks ago that Green Bay has the best winning percentage of the last 30 years - just a couple of ticks above Pittsburgh. Only 2 of their 6 Lombardi's were won during that 30-year span, so it's sometimes easy to lose sight of what a solid team they've been for so many years. And both of their SB losses were in that stretch, so at least they've been getting there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just slightly off-topic, I was pleased to learn a few weeks ago that Green Bay has the best winning percentage of the last 30 years - just a couple of ticks above Pittsburgh. Only 2 of their 6 Lombardi's were won during that 30-year span, so it's sometimes easy to lose sight of what a solid team they've been for so many years. And both of their SB losses were in that stretch, so at least they've been getting there.
They only lost one superbowl

Reaction score
I will admit the only team that comes close to the hatred I feel for the Packers is the Dallas Cowboys.
Well it’s not that surprising that both teams have slapped Chicago around over the years, particularly recent history. Both teams you hate have Winning records “all-time” over Chicago. Also Both Dallas and GB have 4 Super Bowl Victories EACH to Chicagos lonely 1.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the alternatives, in this case the actual records, were posted in two earlier posts by me in post #111 and suds in post #112. I didn't feel the need to put it in a third time.

Some people care. I'm a history and trivia buff. Stuff like this interests me.

Between the Packers, Bears and Lions the history within our division is amazing. According to one site I looked at (stat muse) 4 out of the top 5 "Most victories by one team over another" were held by NFC North teams against other North teams.

Packers 107 over the Bears
Bears 105 over the Lions
Packers 104 over the Lions
Bears 94 over the Packers

There is a good chance we can take this record this season as well. If that team from Washington DC sweeps the Giants and we sweep the Bears that will give us 109. The Giants have beaten that Washington team 108 times.
Well the thread is about this season, 2024, and people started confusing Packer wins versus Bear wins, vice versa, and total NFL wins. It got tedious.

But don't get me wrong, I like history and trivia as well, and the Packers certainly have a history worth talking about. And I hope they add to the championship history this year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the thread is about this season, 2024, and people started confusing Packer wins versus Bear wins, vice versa, and total NFL wins. It got tedious.

But don't get me wrong, I like history and trivia as well, and the Packers certainly have a history worth talking about. And I hope they add to the championship history this year.
This is the first thread that has ever gone off topic and got tedious? I've got dozens in my blocked thread list that have done that.

Besides I tried to tie it to this season with my trivia fact that the Packers could take the record of most wins by one team over another if they sweep the Bears and the Commanders sweep the Giants.

Reaction score
This is the first thread that has ever gone off topic and got tedious? I've got dozens in my blocked thread list that have done that.

Besides I tried to tie it to this season with my trivia fact that the Packers could take the record of most wins by one team over another if they sweep the Bears and the Commanders sweep the Giants.
Nice. Just sweep the Bears and I’d be happy.
I know I’ve beat up on Chicago but as said until they stay over .500 past mid season it’s just talk. I’m not suggesting that Chicago can’t beat GB, it’s whoever shows up and it’s a coin flip if Caleb can rise quickly. It has happened. However with a Rookie there’s going to be some disfunction and broken plays. It’s just a fact. I’d guess Chicago will have a much better chance getting into the playoffs in 2025 or beyond. Something egregious would have to happen in Detroit or GB for them to beat us out. It’s hard to finish 3rd in a Division and make the playoffs. That’s not impossible but it’s not a good path for SB hopes. That’s a generic application and it applies to not only our Division or 2024 for that matter.
Chicago MUST beat out either Detroit or GB at minumum. Really they can’t lose both games to either team or they’d be in deep trouble. They either have to go 1-1 with both North Rivals or sweep one of Detroit or GB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Optimistically the Bears start 2-2. Realistically they could be 1-3. Their best opportunity will be to win at home against the Titans week 1
After that it on the Road on back to back weeks, playing 2 playoff caliber teams from 2023 in Texans and Indi…in their houses. Then hosting another playoff caliber team with Stafford coming to Chicago the following week.
So as I mentioned, week 1 is a critical game for Chicago. IF they lose to Tennessee for any reason, for me there’s a 50/50 chance they start the season 0-4.
After that they’ll have a few good chances to win against Carolina or Washington.
Mingled in are Kyler Murray and Trevor Lawrence in between, so those won’t be easy.

Then after a winnable game hosting Patriots, they hit a tougher patch with 3 playoff caliber teams in 4 weeks.

I have Chicago at 4-5 going into this.
GB
Vikings
Lions
SF49ers

At best they go 2-2 to move up to
6-7.
Then Chicago plays 3 more 2023 playoff caliber teams, Lions, Vikings, Seattle and Packers

This is why I say Chicago needs help with a fast start. An early upset or two through 4 games. Must win week 1 and starting 2-2 or 3-1 to increase any postseason odds. It’s tough to ask a Rookie QB to start
3-1 imo.

Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, in recent history, we beat in the Cowboys the last three or four times we’ve played them.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time ranking the Packers. So much has changed, on defense, and the offense has ostensibly become better, most specifically through experience. Guys who seemed marginal at best at the beginning of last season, are showing they just might be the guy for the job, including on the offensive line.

I also believe Josh Jacobs is an upgrade at RB, even though it's as of now, just my opinion. I think we will find his running style, of quick cuts, and seeing slivers of openings in lines, is exactly what the Packers needed. I also believe that the battle between Kraft and Musgrave, for #1, has the makings of them both becoming exceptional players. I see the time coming, where one will be traded for some solid compensation, to help the Packers become even better, in other areas. How good can they be? I think both have the ability to be one step below what Gronkowski was, and that, in my opinion, is pretty darned good.

I'm not even going to go into how good Caleb Williams is in Chicago. Let it play out on the field. I don't think for a moment he's going to lead them to the promised land, by parting the waters of Michi Gami, so they can walk around at will. That hype is strictly for the Chicago yokels, who think the Bears are resurrected from the dead, even though nobody has a clue as to how good they are on offense or defense at this point.

Detroit? Good. Probably still a half-step ahead of the Packers, "overall." I'm not going to rank their offense and defense against ours, because we've grown on offense, and have a complete re-do on defense, by adapting this team to the 4-3, which in my opinion was an excellent decision, because I've always seen the players we have had as more suited to playing in that format. They could be pretty darned good, but that again, is my opinion. We have to wait and see how it plays out on the field.

What I will say is that we've improved a lot. Probably as much, if not better than the Bears, who got Williams. He's only one player. Odunze is good, but they need to get him the ball. We'll see. Still two players do not make a team.

Detroit, in my opinion is about the same as last year. I don't honestly think they've grown. Once again, opinion only.

The Vikings. Sorry. I don't even included them in the group to be honest. They are in deep trouble at QB, and I think they've actually fallen back a half game from last year. They have a lot of changes that need to be made, and to do them, they have to be bad enough to get some really good picks in the draft, and probably trade away a couple of top level players they have before next year, so they can get additional picks, to make it happen.

Where we suffer most is in our kicking game. I'm concerned that it's going to effect the play calling by LeFleur. If he doesn't trust it, he'll take risks he shouldn't, figuring that the automatic 3 on the boards just ain't there. People fail to see the ripple effect from bad kicking, that hurts both the offense and defense by putting them in worse predicaments. In a thread somewhere, it was mentioned by a poster that we could lose 1 or 2 games because of our kicking game this year, but it could be even worse, because it could dramatically effect the play calling leading up to those opportunities. The offense will try to do too much.

Anyhow, I see the Packers in the thick of it with the Lions for the title. The Bears will not be anointed champs, or even close to it. They may beat the Packers in Chicago, and the Vikings twice, but they will not beat the Lions, in my opinion. They'll be 3-3, and in all honesty, that's not bad at all, considering where they have been. Of course the win over the Packers is their face saving game, because of the rivalry, and their equivalent of a Super Bowl.

But, no matter what I think is going to play out, injuries on every team will make attaining goals tougher. The team that ends up healthiest will do better, but in the division, the only two capable of being decent would still be the Lions and Packers.

Just my preseason analysis. We all have different thoughts on the subject.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don’t call this you guys “beating on” the Cowboys. That was a shellacking you guys took.
Anything from 2022 is forgettable though. We had cut or trade at anybody who cost money and we’re running an $80 million dead money hit on the books. It’s no wonder we ended up with the first overall pick.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, in recent history, we beat in the Cowboys the last three or four times we’ve played them.
I'll takes things that didn't happen for 1000 Aaron. Oh wait he didn't get that gig did he. Oh well. Thats two things that didn't happen.

According to what I could find the Bears lost 3 of the last 4.

Reaction score
also believe that the battle between Kraft and Musgrave, for #1, has the makings of them both becoming exceptional players. I see the time coming, where one will be traded for some solid compensation, to help the Packers become even better, in other areas. How good can they be? I think both have the ability to be one step below what Gronkowski was, and that, in my opinion, is pretty darned good.
Like you said Voyageur, it’s mostly speculation, even for us. However Kraft seems to really be impressing as of this week. Catching everything in sight and laying wood on the D. I think he might be a better “all around” player than Musgrave. Yet I think Musgrave has a higher ceiling from being used as a passing target.
Musgrave just moves very fluid for 6’6”. It’s more getting him the ball and letting him use that incredible, long stride

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts