2024 Roster Status/Tracker

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going off of feel and maybe someone can provide the stats, but our defense, on first downs, appeared to be really pathetic yesterday. Seemed like the Rams were always ripping off big 1st down chunks and faced a lot of "3rd and short" because of it.
Maybe Wyatt is really important. But yeah, it's a problem. Maybe a new D line coach too. I don't know who we have or what his experience is. If the experience is only years at GB; can't say that is a positive.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Evan Williams going from not even half or barely any the first four weeks to playing all 78 snaps on Defense is a MASSIVE signal to his maturation and if you hear Xavier McKinney touch on both he and Javon's future it makes you feel incredible about those three for the coming years. Evan is that hybrid guy that can literally sub down into the box, split out on a TE or WR...cover a RB or roll into deep coverage.
Agree. The Packers have gone from having below average safeties to having one of THE best and 2 that could eventually be considered top Safeties as well. Gute hit a homerun this off season when it comes to fixing the position. I also like the fact that McKinney just turned 25 in August, yet he plays like a 10 year vet. His influence on Williams and Bullard has to be a positive thing.

Add in McKinney's contract and Packer fans just have to be thrilled at how solid and reasonably priced that position will be for years to come.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe Wyatt is really important. But yeah, it's a problem. Maybe a new D line coach too. I don't know who we have or what his experience is. If the experience is only years at GB; can't say that is a positive.
Jason Rebrovich is the new DL coach. I don't think the issues on the DL are all to blame on him, at least not yet. I agree that missing Wyatt is a blow to the DL, but I can't tell you how many times I saw Clark just blow by ball carriers yesterday. His play and Rashan Gary's play this season, have so far been underwhelming to me.

I know the 3-4 is a new system and still a work in progress, but for as much money as both Gary and Clark are making, we need to get more out of them.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Rebrovich is the new DL coach. I don't think the issues on the DL are all to blame on him, at least not yet. I agree that missing Wyatt is a blow to the DL, but I can't tell you how many times I saw Clark just blow by ball carriers yesterday. His play and Rashan Gary's play this season, have so far been underwhelming to me.

I know the 3-4 is a new system and still a work in progress, but for as much money as both Gary and Clark are making, we need to get more out of them.
I know you meant the 4-3 is new...
I think the big-runs issue is more on the ILB's than the DL's. It seemed that Walker consistently filled the wrong hole & couldn't make the stop on the RB. Now that I type that, maybe it IS a DL issue IF there were 2 holes for the RB to choose from?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found it interesting that for a Defense that allowed 76 plays for 370 yards and 24 1st Downs of production. Hafley only gave up 12 points. Then you consider we played without one of our best DL and best DB in Alexander and Wyatt
And Rochelle went down early with the stinger.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. The Packers have gone from having below average safeties to having one of THE best and 2 that could eventually be considered top Safeties as well. Gute hit a homerun this off season when it comes to fixing the position. I also like the fact that McKinney just turned 25 in August, yet he plays like a 10 year vet. His influence on Williams and Bullard has to be a positive thing.

Add in McKinney's contract and Packer fans just have to be thrilled at how solid and reasonably priced that position will be for years to come.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Not sure we have been strong at safety since Nick Collins went down.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the big-runs issue is more on the ILB's than the DL's. It seemed that Walker consistently filled the wrong hole & couldn't make the stop on the RB. Now that I type that, maybe it IS a DL issue IF there were 2 holes for the RB to choose from?
Very true. ILBs in the middle make the run stops when the DL clogs the middle. Been a while since we had one or two that were pure run stoppers. Desmond Bishop comes to mind. Hawk was only average.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. ILBs in the middle make the run stops when the DL clogs the middle. Been a while since we had one or two that were pure run stoppers. Desmond Bishop comes to mind. Hawk was only average.
I have a feeling Hopper is going to be good at that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, oops....4-3 is new.

While I think Walker needs to improve, I also think our interior 2, on the DL, need to play smarter. Again, just going off of "feel", but it seemed like the Rams DC saw something on film and on several plays, Kenny Clark was left unblocked and allowed to just "shoot the gap" and the runner would go right by him and through that gap. Van Ness and Gary were taking themselves out of running plays quite a bit too.

I get the feeling that our DL seems to be so focused on QB pressures and sacks, that at times they are forgetting about the run. Other teams OC's are going to feed on that with misdirection and sending people in motion to move Walker.

Again, I am not a big X and O guy, just going off of a feel. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Alexander got suspended last season for a game and we won it.
Yup and he has played better and stayed somewhat quiet ever since. I assume that when they suspend a player for conduct that is detrimental to the team, they lose something off of their paycheck as well. In todays NFL, money seems to be the #1 motivation to many players, so hit them where it hurts the most...money and social media. :D