2024 Roster Status/Tracker

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tyler Davis
I thought the Packers placed him on IR before the 53 man cutdown?

If they did, they would have to release him with an injury settlement and then resign if he clears waivers.

I think the Packers only have 3 TE's, all 3 being on the 53 (Kraft, Musgrave and Sims)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has two young athletic pass-catchers at TE in Musgrave & Kraft. My guess is that they just want good special teamers who can also block to back them up. Players on a rookie contract preferred.

Tyler Davis & Ben Sims seem to be a fit for that. Unless someone gets hurt, Green Bay is probably fine with the make-up of their TE room.

I think you might have missed that we presently have Sims, Musgrave and Kraft that is it. No PS guys elsewhere with Messiah getting picked up to the 53 elsewhere.

Davis is on IR.

We could also just see them add back in one of the rookie undrafted guys they had in camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
just commented to that effect. I think Curly missed that.

Tyler Davis has really had some bad luck with injuries. Last year a preseason torn ACL and now the shoulder injury.

Depending on the extent of the injury, he might be a possibility to bring back, with the whole cut w/injury settlement and see if he clears waivers. Given that they haven't cut him with a settlement, they are either stashing him for next season, which means the injury was significant or he will eventually be given a settlement and released. In either case, they need a 4th TE (on PS) sooner, rather than later, so they are up to speed on the playbook and have had some practice time with the starters.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyler Davis has really had some bad luck with injuries. Last year a preseason torn ACL and now the shoulder injury.

Depending on the extent of the injury, he might be a possibility to bring back, with the whole cut w/injury settlement and see if he clears waivers. Given that they haven't cut him with a settlement, they are either stashing him for next season, which means the injury was significant or he will eventually be given a settlement and released. In either case, they need a 4th TE (on PS) sooner, rather than later, so they are up to speed on the playbook and have had some practice time with the starters.

Yeah they love Davis especially for his ST prowess. When healthy he is a perfect TE3/4 type.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McDuffie but I think our 3 linebackers should be Cooper, Q and Hopper. And line them up in a traditional fashion.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McDuffie but I think our 3 linebackers should be Cooper, Q and Hopper. And line them up in a traditional fashion.

Honestly I believe Wilson even is more of a proactive player than Quay. If Quay wasn't oober athletic his inability to diagnose and be a proactive LB would be absolutely clear as day and he'd likely be out of the NFL.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I believe Wilson even is more of a proactive player than Quay. If Quay wasn't oober athletic his inability to diagnose and be a proactive LB would be absolutely clear as day and he'd likely be out of the NFL.
Wouldn't that make Walkwer MUCH better suited to be a 4-3 OLB, then? Easy to try that change once Cooper & Hopper are healthy & ready to step into the middle?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I still think we need to find a bug FB like Frisco has. On the 2 point conversion Kraft lined up as a FB and he never put a lick on anyone. He was standing there watching Jacobs get stuffed. If we have a John Kuhn you may even give him the ball to get one yard.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think we need to find a bug FB like Frisco has. On the 2 point conversion Kraft lined up as a FB and he never put a lick on anyone. He was standing there watching Jacobs get stuffed. If we have a John Kuhn you may even give him the ball to get one yard.
That or design a few short yardage plays that don't rely on 5 guys pushing 8 guys backwards. The defense knows what is coming (run up the middle), so instead of allowing that to work in their favor, you use it to work against them. Fake the handoff up the middle and let the QB roll out on an RPO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. Up until now, I have been really disappointed in the guy. He seems lost out there half the time. I don't recall who he had playing around him in Georgia, but I suspect it was a lot of quality players. Like I have always said, its the dice roll you take when drafting a guy that comes from a top college program. Is he really THAT good or is it the guys around him and the team he is playing on that made him look that good?

Davante Wyatt, also a Georgia player, also drafted in the 1st round with Quay in 2022, is somewhat the same so far. Maybe an NFL player, but not that impressive for a 1st round pick.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That or design a few short yardage plays that don't rely on 5 guys pushing 8 guys backwards. The defense knows what is coming (run up the middle), so instead of allowing that to work in their favor, you use it to work against them. Fake the handoff up the middle and let the QB roll out on an RPO.
Even the Lions used a FB last night. It certainly helped on the OT drive. They went like 70 yards on the ground.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the Lions used a FB last night. It certainly helped on the OT drive. They went like 70 yards on the ground.
The Lions are trying to be a smash-mouth, gritty running team. Green Bay hasn't been since early 2000's with Ahman Green @ RB. Kuhn helped with that mentality later, but the OL strength has gdnerally been pass block 1st.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Up until now, I have been really disappointed in the guy. He seems lost out there half the time. I don't recall who he had playing around him in Georgia, but I suspect it was a lot of quality players. Like I have always said, its the dice roll you take when drafting a guy that comes from a top college program. Is he really THAT good or is it the guys around him and the team he is playing on that made him look that good?

Davante Wyatt, also a Georgia player, also drafted in the 1st round with Quay in 2022, is somewhat the same so far. Maybe an NFL player, but not that impressive for a 1st round pick.

Yeah Wyatt is a much better NFL player IMO than Walker is. Both are NFL roster guys, but Wyatt is a 30 snap a game type guy where Quay in my opinion is proving to be a ST stud and a role/depth type off ball athletic beast.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Lions are trying to be a smash-mouth, gritty running team. Green Bay hasn't been since early 2000's with Ahman Green @ RB. Kuhn helped with that mentality later, but the OL strength has gdnerally been pass block 1st.

I actually watched that game last night and both the Lions and the Rams look formidable. Had it not been for game injuries for the Rams, I think they win that game. The Lions running game is scary as hell. Unless Hafley and the Packer players can shore up their run defense, they will carve us up. Goff is a good QB, but not a great QB. However, with the receiving group he has and the run game, he will have a decent season. The Lions are a very well balanced team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah Wyatt is a much better NFL player IMO than Walker is. Both are NFL roster guys, but Wyatt is a 30 snap a game type guy where Quay in my opinion is proving to be a ST stud and a role/depth type off ball athletic beast.
Agree.

Maybe as @Pkrjones suggested, Quay might be better suited to play OLB in the 4-3?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In Narveson we must trust.

Lions signed Joseph to their practice squad today. Of course, if he isnt protected, he can be poached.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lions signed Joseph to their practice squad today. Of course, if he isnt protected, he can be poached.

Let him be a Lion, or Commander, or anyone elses kicker... good for him. He wasn't capable of winning the GB job, so I'm OK with him cashing another team's paycheck.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lions appear to have a good kicker but as we get outside and weather changes we shall see.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green Bay had all summer to look at Joseph and decided he was not the guy.

I'm happy for him that he got a gig, but the Joseph experiment in Titletown is over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lions appear to have a good kicker but as we get outside and weather changes we shall see.

Might have to wait for the playoffs then. After the Lions leave GB on Nov. 3rd, 7 of their remaining 9 games are in domed stadiums. With the 2 outdoor games being in San Fran and Chicago. They really have a favorable schedule as far as "playing in the elements" go.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers released WR Jalen Wayne and RB La’Mical Perine from the practice squad. They replaced them with WR T.J. Luther and TE Johnny Lumpkin.

The Packers are Luther and Lumpkin's 4th team in 16 months.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers released WR Jalen Wayne and RB La’Mical Perine from the practice squad. They replaced them with WR T.J. Luther and TE Johnny Lumpkin.

The Packers are Luther and Lumpkin's 4th team in 16 months.
If Lumpkin sticks on the PS for more than 2 weeks I'm voting for his forum moniker to become Lumpy. ;)

Members online

Latest posts