Trading for Malik Willis

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sprained MCL, 3-6 weeks
If it's 6 weeks, the season is basically over. The chances of winning 3 out of 6 with Willis or Clifford is not good. If he's out 6 weeks the Packers could start 1-6 or 2-5. Better hope he's only out 3-4 weeks, otherwise the season is probably over and you might as well go into a different mode. I know last year the Packers started 2-5 and snuck into the playoffs but the odds are not good at that repeating. It will also take several weeks for Love to get in synch so the first games back from injury are also not going to be easy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's 6 weeks, the season is basically over. The chances of winning 3 out of 6 with Willis or Clifford is not good. If he's out 6 weeks the Packers could start 1-6 or 2-5. Better hope he's only out 3-4 weeks, otherwise the season is probably over and you might as well go into a different mode. I know last year the Packers started 2-5 and snuck into the playoffs but the odds are not good at that repeating. It will also take several weeks for Love to get in synch so the first games back from injury are also not going to be easy.
Pretty accurate. Although I think our season is over. We could go 1-5 with the back up but it would mean if Love comes back we would have to go 10-1 or 9-2. Almost impossible. In 2013 Matt Flynn saved us and being in a weak division it allowed Rodgers one chance to knock out the Bears. In 2017 Hundley was terrible. The 2 wins we salvaged were the worst teams in the league. Rodgers came back too late and was not fully healed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess we will see tomorrow how good our next 3 opponents are; Colts, Titans and Vikings. Just looking at where those teams are predicted to finish and that all 3 are starting young or not so great QB's, I think the Packers, even with a Backup QB, have a chance in each game.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder how many weeks of "He's not practicing yet, but he's close" we will hear from MLF on Love's return.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love misses time, there's a part of me that believes that it won't even be Malik. I think it's entirely possible that this is a development year for Malik and he was only going to be relied on in a pinch.

If it's a multi game absence, bringing up Clifford from the practice squad as the starter in favor of his familiarity with the offense and system would not surprise me.
Love's contract and subsequent injury and Gutey's handling of it will be his legacy. Much as Ted Thompson only having one great draft will be his legacy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we will see tomorrow how good our next 3 opponents are; Colts, Titans and Vikings. Just looking at where those teams are predicted to finish and that all 3 are starting young or not so great QB's, I think the Packers, even with a Backup QB, have a chance in each game.
So you're telling me there's a chance???? YEAH!!!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know a good way to tell that we're not where we need to be as an organization and a roster yet? The fact that we're talking about winning games with Malik Willis like it's damn near impossible.

If the 49ers had to start Malik for a month, there would obviously have to be some adjustments, but they'd be planning on winning football games.

QB is obviously a very important position, but if we can't at least start out 2-3 or so against a soft schedule in Jordan's absence, then our roster talent level was not NEARLY as good as we hyped it up to be in the offseason.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know a good way to tell that we're not where we need to be as an organization and a roster yet? The fact that we're talking about winning games with Malik Willis like it's damn near impossible.

If the 49ers had to start Malik for a month, there would obviously have to be some adjustments, but they'd be planning on winning football games.

QB is obviously a very important position, but if we can't at least start out 2-3 or so against a soft schedule in Jordan's absence, then our roster talent level was not NEARLY as good as we hyped it up to be in the offseason.
We were 15-1 the year before we were forced to start Seneca Wallace at QB...AT Lambeau

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just hoping Malik can show poise in the pocket. If he does; he'll be able to complete passes

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were 15-1 the year before we were forced to start Seneca Wallace at QB...AT Lambeau
I'm truly not meaning to be snarky or anything, I just honestly have no idea what you meant here as far as how this fits into the conversation.

First of all the year Seneca Wallace played for us was 2013 and the prior year we went 11-5. Yes, he was our backup plan when Rodgers went down, but then, he also immediately went down.

The season you're thinking of was the 2011 Green Bay Packers, who were indeed 15-1 but one of the biggest paper tigers you'll ever see. Horrendous defense and bounced in our first playoff game for a reason.

All of that said I don't know what they have to do with the 2024 Packers.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm truly not meaning to be snarky or anything, I just honestly have no idea what you meant here as far as how this fits into the conversation.

First of all the year Seneca Wallace played for us was 2013 and the prior year we went 11-5. Yes, he was our backup plan when Rodgers went down, but then, he also immediately went down.

The season you're thinking of was the 2011 Green Bay Packers, who were indeed 15-1 but one of the biggest paper tigers you'll ever see. Horrendous defense and bounced in our first playoff game for a reason.

All of that said I don't know what they have to do with the 2024 Packers.
I thought it was 2012, that's how it connects. I'm a ******* sometimes

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A few are talking like that. Personally I think we can go 2-2 over the next 4 weeks with Willis. Our next three opponents are no where near as good as the Eagles (I'm not sure who we have in week 5). I think this roster is good enough to support a QB who isn't garbage. Maybe Willis is garbage but if we can't win with him its not going to be the teams fault.

If you (not you personally Ric but the ones you were referring to about winning game with Willis) don't think we can go 2-2 without Love I don't know how you could think we were SB contenders with him. He's one guy and while I do think he is very good I don't think he is the guy to carry a team Like Rodgers was. He may get there but I don't think he is there yet.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next 6 Packer opponents:
Colts - toss up (win w/Love)
@ Tennessee - Win
Vikings - Win
@ Rams - Loss (regardless of QB)
Cardinals - Win
Texans - Loss (win w/ Love)

This would put GB at 3-4 or 4-3 if/when Love returns. I can live with that.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PkrJones I see it as

Colts win no matter who the QB is

Tennessee loss on the road

Vikings win with a better QB than Willis, with Willis this game is 50/50

Rams is a loss even with Favre or Starr on the road

Cardinals is a definite win even with me at QB

Texans is 50/50 even with Love.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Teams whose strength is at QB are affected. Teams that live by their defense or running the ball not as much. Malik has some experience and a lot of arm and speed. This will look like a Michael Vick wild cat offense. Lot of improvising. Lot of RPO. Lot of broken plays. Defenses will confuse him and blitz. Stack the box. Lot of false starts, delay of games. MLF will dial it down. The fact that Malik is new to THIS offense makes this difficult. Had he been on our roster a couple years he could adjust quickly. But it could be exciting watching this kid take off and run.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams whose strength is at QB are affected. Teams that live by their defense or running the ball not as much. Malik has some experience and a lot of arm and speed. This will look like a Michael Vick wild cat offense. Lot of improvising. Lot of RPO. Lot of broken plays. Defenses will confuse him and blitz. Stack the box. Lot of false starts, delay of games. MLF will dial it down. The fact that Malik is new to THIS offense makes this difficult. Had he been on our roster a couple years he could adjust quickly. But it could be exciting watching this kid take off and run.
IF that's the actual situation that plays out I would hope MLF would be smart enough to elevate Clifford & keep the same offense.

What good does it do for GB to look like last season Bears... one read, tuck it and run? No thanks!!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF that's the actual situation that plays out I would hope MLF would be smart enough to elevate Clifford & keep the same offense.

What good does it do for GB to look like last season Bears... one read, tuck it and run? No thanks!!
That is the choice. Clifford is more of a game manager. He played in that kind of a system in college. Very disciplined. No great plays. Just run the offense. Malik played at Liberty. He is very athletic. He can deliver big plays either with his arms or legs. Or big mistakes as well. On 1st and 10 you know what you have with Clifford. On 3rd and 15 Malik gives you a chance. Clifford not likely.

Members online