Trading for Malik Willis

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Gutey also mentioned that his decision to move on from Pratt wasn’t as much to do with Pratt. They had an opportunity to add Willis and he said he really liked he can win with BOTH his arm and legs. It wasn’t so much that Pratt was bad as it was Willis had looked like an ascending player.
I was excited about Pratt when the Packers drafted him, but given that he was a 7th round pick, it appeared that he was a full on project. The Packers staff obviously felt that Clifford was more game ready and probably as of now, appears to have a higher upside.

While I was disappointed with the way Clifford looked this preseason, I kept having to tell myself "He isn't playing with the starters, he's better than what we are seeing." I think against Denver that was a legit "excuse", since Denver I believe played a lot of their starters on both offense and defense well into the 2nd Q, before Pratt took over.

Anyway, with Malik I think that the QB room has been improved and it only took a mere 7th rounder to do it. Maybe a lesson to learn, unless you see a Brock Purdy sitting their late in the draft, rely on casted off veterans for your #2 QB spot, as long as they don't cost you an arm and a leg.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A distraction? Competition is a distraction?
I think Clifford would likely serve as the backup until they have a better idea about Willis while keeping Pratt on the practice squad.
Competition can be a distraction. Especially when a QB needs individual attention from the QB coach. They had already gone through a preseason together. In my mind Pratt was the guy to keep and would have benefited from the more individual attention to details. I don't think Clifford is going to make an NFL QB. And he did not get picked up whereas I guess Pratt did, before we had a chance to put him on the practice squad. Competition is good until you know one of them is just the better of the two. Then it becomes a distraction imho. If only one is going to be kept. Right now, it is Willis's job to have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Competition can be a distraction. Especially when a QB needs individual attention from the QB coach. They had already gone through a preseason together. In my mind Pratt was the guy to keep and would have benefited from the more individual attention to details. I don't think Clifford is going to make an NFL QB. And he did not get picked up whereas I guess Pratt did, before we had a chance to put him on the practice squad. Competition is good until you know one of them is just the better of the two. Then it becomes a distraction imho. If only one is going to be kept. Right now, it is Willis's job to have.
Not really the correct narrative.

First, from what I read from Bill Huber, the plan for the Packers was to release both Clifford and Pratt, with the hope to resign Clifford to the PS. It was felt that he was more NFL Game ready and currently a better #2 than Pratt. He will be that #2 QB, until Willis is up to speed with the Packer playbook and teammates.

Second, Pratt was signed to the Bucs PS. Which means nobody put a waiver claim in for him. Did the Packers try to resign him to their PS? I doubt it, but perhaps he chose TB over GB?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really the correct narrative.

First, from what I read from Bill Huber, the plan for the Packers was to release both Clifford and Pratt, with the hope to resign Clifford to the PS. It was felt that he was more NFL Game ready and currently a better #2 than Pratt. He will be that #2 QB, until Willis is up to speed with the Packer playbook and teammates.

Second, Pratt was signed to the Bucs PS. Which means nobody put a waiver claim in for him. Did the Packers try to resign him to their PS? I doubt it, but perhaps he chose TB over GB?
Don't know Bill Huber. And I guess we don't know if Tampa offered something more appealing. Anyway, It's my opinion. I'll be surprised if Clifford gets the nod even now over Willis. I guess we will know when we see who sits for the Eagles. And then the next game. And we will certainly see after one of them has to play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't know Bill Huber. And I guess we don't know if Tampa offered something more appealing. Anyway, It's my opinion. I'll be surprised if Clifford gets the nod even now over Willis. I guess we will know when we see who sits for the Eagles. And then the next game. And we will certainly see after one of them has to play.

I don't always agree with Huber, but he often has some pretty spot on insights into the Packers. His bio and some of his articles are below.

I guess anything is possible with Pratt. I could be wrong, but Clifford was one of the first PS signings of the Packers, well before Pratt signed with the Bucs. It would be interesting to know if the Packers approached him and as you said, he was offered a better deal in TB.

As far as who the #2 QB is going into Brazil, I guess that is up to Willis and his learning curve. I don't think Gute traded for him to be the #3, but one thing was clear, Gute resigned Clifford, when there are many other options he could have gone with.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You think Willis can learn the playbook and mesh with new teammates by the opener? I would be extremely surprised if that happened. I expect to see Clifford in the traveling party to Brazil.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You think Willis can learn the playbook and mesh with new teammates by the opener? I would be extremely surprised if that happened. I expect to see Clifford in the traveling party to Brazil.

I agree. Now if he does, I think that is more of a statement on his football intelligence, more than a statement on Clifford.

Depending on injuries and who they want to activate on the 47, I actually could see them both being active. Possibly Willis gets some snaps, if the game is one sided.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Always interesting discussions, especially this time of year.

Gute and the Packers don't always give us all the details as to why this player or that player was cut or retained, matter of fact, they give us few. Therefore, much of the why's and why nots of what has happened in the last few weeks, we have to guess at, using deductive reasoning.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is from Florida so, not a huge leap to think he prefers TB over GB.
Good point, guessing growing up in Boca Raton, he definitely feels more at home.

I had to laugh when I Googled him the other day, looks like he grew up as Anders Carlson's twin brother too!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A distraction? Competition is a distraction?
I think Clifford would likely serve as the backup until they have a better idea about Willis while keeping Pratt on the practice squad.

The only reason Willis is here is because Clifford, like Pratt, isn't good enough.

No reason to think anything has changed with that.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall seeing a note that this was the knock on him. He had trouble getting up to speed on the Titan playbook.
I'm a little surprised, because Willis is a smart cookie. He scored 32 on the Wonderlic, which is Tom Brady, Steve Young, Philip Rivers territory. The equivalent of an IQ in the mid-120s.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love misses time, there's a part of me that believes that it won't even be Malik. I think it's entirely possible that this is a development year for Malik and he was only going to be relied on in a pinch.

If it's a multi game absence, bringing up Clifford from the practice squad as the starter in favor of his familiarity with the offense and system would not surprise me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Love misses time, there's a part of me that believes that it won't even be Malik. I think it's entirely possible that this is a development year for Malik and he was only going to be relied on in a pinch.

If it's a multi game absence, bringing up Clifford from the practice squad as the starter in favor of his familiarity with the offense and system would not surprise me.
If Love is out for the season, I would be just fine going with Malik and/or Clifford. The season is basically over, so use the guy(s) that you see as your true future #2. Heck, if Malik looked good, the Packers have him on a 2 year contract, you might have yourself trade bait. Clifford is now just on a 1 year deal, so him shining, might not give you and trade bait.

If Love is only to miss 2-6 games, then you go with whomever is ready. Could sign Tannehill, but probably not worth the investment IMO.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Malik does not look good...to not even get the ball away on what you know is your last chance is absolutely unacceptable. One of the most bonehead plays that can be made on an nfl field

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Malik does not look good...to not even get the ball away on what you know is your last chance is absolutely unacceptable. One of the most bonehead plays that can be made on an nfl field

Nahhh.....I don't agree.

Watch the play again. Malik had to wait until his receivers were all the way down the field before heaving one. His slip and Zach Baun were the problem. Sean Rhyan probably should have picked Bahn up, but he didn't. 6 guys should be able to block 4 guys and give their QB adequate time, they didn't.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he didn't look good. He didn't take a straight line to the huddle from the bench which everyone knows is the shortest route.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This didn't tell us one thing about Malik. If he can get some time and go through a couple progressions; and then throw it well, he might be OK. Depends on him having a decent mental attitude. No fear!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This didn't tell us one thing about Malik. If he can get some time and go through a couple progressions; and then throw it well, he might be OK. Depends on him having a decent mental attitude. No fear!
His games for Tennessee do tell us some things though, and he's looked absolutely atrocious and completely unable to move an NFL offense anytime he's been thrust into regular season action.

Realistically, if Love misses the next 3 games, I'd consider it a victory if Malik wins one game out of those three.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Considering all the other talent on this team, I don't see the Packers turning the offense over to Clifford. Much more likely they'd sign a guy like Tannehill IMO.

Let's not get too far ahead. Gotta see just how significant the injury is to Love.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts