CeeDee Lamb a Green Bay Packer <trade proposal>

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we’re young. Real young. I’m excited to see who rises from this crop. I think we already have a WR1 on board and I’m about 85% certainty there. It often takes 3-4 seasons to elevate and most of our guys are in their 2-3rd seasons. We’ve probably got not only a WR1 developing, but likely a good WR2 and a pair of decent WR3’s. Not long ago we had a WR1 and a WR3 and a bunch of 4’s,5’s etc.

I've been thinking exactly this over the last few weeks, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Not a single one of our wideouts has more than two seaons of experience, and most of them have only one season.

Here's a list of names, names that will probably ring a few bells....

Davante Adams
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Robert Ferguson
Javon Walker
James Jones

That's a list just off the top of head at midnight, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some that could easily be there. And by the same token, some people could say that not all of the players even belong on the same list - and yes, there's an argument to be made there.

Of at the same time, there are probably a couple of other players I could squeeze in there in order to make my point, except that I don't want to cheapen my position by stretching my argument.

But the common theme is, these were all guys that Favre and Rodgers looked for first on every snap. And they won us a hell of a lot of football games, and a couple of trophies.

The term "#1 receiver" means a lot of different things depending on who's defining it, but in simplest terms, it just means the number one guy who quarterbacks know they can always rely on. By that definition, every single one of those guys was a bona fide #1 reciever for the Packers.

So... name a single one of those players who most fans would have looked at in their first year or two in the NFL and said "this dude is going to be our #1 receiver."

There are none.

Does anyone remember how many Packer fans were howling to cut Driver, Adams, and "Alligator Arms" James Jones in their first couple of seasons on account of how many footalls kept bouncing off their chests?

It's just way, waayyy too early for fans to look at our receivers and say, "oh, no, we don't have a Number One receiver on our roster!!!" We don't have the first clue who or what exactly we have on our roster right now, and it won't be until sometime this season that we can start making truly accurate guesses.

You say you're 85% certain we already have our #1 guy in the locker room, I'd go further and say that it's close to a certainty. And I think we'll have a very good idea who it is by the last part of this season, because he'll step up and tell us. I think it would be utterly foolish of us to pay tens of millions of dollars for some other team's proven #1 just because he's a year or two ahead of our guys - a desperate overreaction, which is not Gute's style.

I trust Gute to know that the odds are very high that our guy is aready here. He's counting on the strong competition between the Young Guns to prove which one it's gonna be. And I trust him to be right.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking exactly this over the last few weeks, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Not a single one of our wideouts has more than two seaons of experience, and most of them have only one season.

Here's a list of names, names that will probably ring a few bells....

Davante Adams
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
Robert Ferguson
Javon Walker
James Jones

That's a list just off the top of head at midnight, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some that could easily be there. And by the same token, some people could say that not all of the players even belong on the same list - and yes, there's an argument to be made there.

Of at the same time, there are probably a couple of other players I could squeeze in there in order to make my point, except that I don't want to cheapen my position by stretching my argument.

But the common theme is, these were all guys that Favre and Rodgers looked for first on every snap. And they won us a hell of a lot of football games, and a couple of trophies.

The term "#1 receiver" means a lot of different things depending on who's defining it, but in simplest terms, it just means the number one guy who quarterbacks know they can always rely on. By that definition, every single one of those guys was a bona fide #1 reciever for the Packers.

So... name a single one of those players who most fans would have looked at in their first year or two in the NFL and said "this dude is going to be our #1 receiver."

There are none.

Does anyone remember how many Packer fans were howling to cut Driver, Adams, and "Alligator Arms" James Jones in their first couple of seasons on account of how many footalls kept bouncing off their chests?

It's just way, waayyy too early for fans to look at our receivers and say, "oh, no, we don't have a Number One receiver on our roster!!!" We don't have the first clue who or what exactly we have on our roster right now, and it won't be until sometime this season that we can start making truly accurate guesses.

You say you're 85% certain we already have our #1 guy in the locker room, I'd go further and say that it's close to a certainty. And I think we'll have a very good idea who it is by the last part of this season, because he'll step up and tell us. I think it would be utterly foolish of us to pay tens of millions of dollars for some other team's proven #1 just because he's a year or two ahead of our guys - a desperate overreaction, which is not Gute's style.

I trust Gute to know that the odds are very high that our guy is aready here. He's counting on the strong competition between the Young Guns to prove which one it's gonna be. And I trust him to be right.
I remember the times in the past when a lot of fans were screaming that guys needed to be dumped, because they weren't good enough receivers to be on the team. One in particular, whom I watched, and knew before he was drafted, would be a winner, hands down, despite all the raps against him. James Jones.

To those of us who understand the game, and the mechanics needed for a player to excel, Jones was, by all means, on his way to success. Why? Because of one major attribute he had, that would overshadow and supposed lack of speed, or any other red flag.

James Jones could change direction in his route, by fluidly rotating his hips, and continuing his run at top end speed, without slowing to make that cut. There were no tells in how and when it was coming, but when it did, it left defenders flat footed.

Jordy Nelson was a little different. Three things marked where Jordy was going. First of all, he would win nearly every hands battle with defenders on 50/50 balls. Secondly, he ran crisp routes, and third, he knew when and where to lay down on a route to create an outlet for a QB, when he wasn't the primary receiver, and actually not even considered as one of the options. He was a chain mover, just like Romeo Doubs.

I remember the screaming about dumping Donald Driver. Worthless. Too slow. Didn't know his routes, and couldn't block. All this came from two preseason games, and it took him 3 years to get people to actually see where he'd developed. Had they paid attention, they could have seen it on a game by game basis, and how he too became a possession receiver who made himself available as an outlet, and had good hands. He developed, because he put in the work.

We're seeing the same thing right now with Jacobs and Dillon. Jacobs gets stuffed on a run and he was a mistake signing to some fans. Dillon was stuffed on 3 plays in the first preseason game, and some people are saying he needs to be cut. Obviously, none of these fans took the time to look at the tapes of those 3 plays, with Dillon. I don't know how you're going to gain the 2 yards when you're hit behind the line of scrimmage by a linebacker, and there's two more defenders that hit you less than a second later. They might want to ask the question; "Where was the short yardage blocking?"

One thing about fans, you can count on. They're going to start, and be right in the middle of controversy, even if there shouldn't be any. That's what makes this whole thing fun I guess.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, forget what I say. Forget what anybody on the board says. Forget what the analyst say…..players know. I’ll respect what a future HOF(if he keeps it up) WR says about my guy.
In that case Bo Nix is a HOFer. That is if you are going to believe Jaire Alexander. Players Know. If you dig deep enough you might find someone who said something good about Billy Joe Toliver too.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case Bo Nix is a HOFer. That is if you are going to believe Jaire Alexander. Players Know. If you dig deep enough you might find someone who said something good about Billy Joe Toliver too.
lol. I digress - that guy took a beating in a lot of slop games. Journeyman guy.

Reaction score
Meh…didn’t love the play calling at the start of the game but still, the flashes were there.
The falling left and throwing an absolute dime to Rome on the left sideline for 40 some yards was beautiful.
The athleticism and escapability on the TD run…..you’re only kidding yourself bubby.
Everybody else sees it.
Escapability and Athleticsm are only a part of being a good QB. Some of the best QB’s were not the most athletic. I’d roll Williams slowly just my opinion. Give Williams a year to learn the playbook, another year to apply it and get ready for being highly competitive in 2026. I believe more and more that many QB’s falter because they are thrown to the Wolves with #1 overall expectations. Too much pressure on a Rookie

I agree with @Pkrjones though, that QB from Shepherd, Tyson looked great. He might be a Brock Purdy, you guys need to take a good, hard look at him. I did some research on him. Do you realize he threw for 518 yards and 3 TD’s in his first college start? Wow! Last Oct ‘23, Bagent became the first DivII college Undrafted QB to play in an NFL game in 75 years. He won out the QB2 spot which is pretty impressive for a Div2 which is cool
in itself. In his first actual NFL start, he led the Bears to a victory over the Raiders. Scoring both a Rushing and Passing TD. He’s the first QB in 20 years to Win his first actual start in Chicago and he did it less than 1 year ago. I’d be very interested in him if I were your HC. You can always fall back on Caleb if things don’t work out

Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bear's #1's vs Bengals #2's looked like crap. Imho wasted #1 pick on Caleb, Bagent looks better. Poise, touch, reads the D... CW will be watching from sidelines by November as da Bears fight for .500.
I’m not trying to take over a thread. I’m just responding to a comment because some people don’t like my opinions around here.
The first three drives were not good at all, but Caleb played an entire half. I suggest you go back and watch the highlights but he’s got an escape the pocket throw to Rome for 40 yards that is unbelievable. If J Love made that throw I would tell you it was amazing.
He had a really nice deep pass to Tyler Scott that was broken up by pass interference. Had a perfect ball to DJ Moore on a slant that was broken up by a really nice play by the DB.
I understand all the trash talk, but I’m literally saying Jordan love isn’t a terrible quarterback. I think y’all are just excited a little too early in his case, but I would take the left side of John‘s Elway’s body over any starters for the Bears last 40 years.
If you spend any amount of time watching what Caleb does, it jumps off the screen that he’s the best quarterback we’ve had in about 45 years may ever.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not trying to take over a thread. I’m just responding to a comment because some people don’t like my opinions around here.
The first three drives were not good at all, but Caleb played an entire half. I suggest you go back and watch the highlights but he’s got an escape the pocket throw to Rome for 40 yards that is unbelievable. If J Love made that throw I would tell you it was amazing.
He had a really nice deep pass to Tyler Scott that was broken up by pass interference. Had a perfect ball to DJ Moore on a slant that was broken up by a really nice play by the DB.
I understand all the trash talk, but I’m literally saying Jordan love isn’t a terrible quarterback. I think y’all are just excited a little too early in his case, but I would take the left side of John‘s Elway’s body over any starters for the Bears last 40 years.
If you spend any amount of time watching what Caleb does, it jumps off the screen that he’s the best quarterback we’ve had in about 45 years may ever.
Lets see, Caleb Williams has three not good at all drives but plays pretty well for the rest of the half and he's the man.

Jordan love has several not good at all games but plays lights out for the last 9 and "y’all are just excited a little too early"

I would be willing to bet that pretty much any QB who has ever taken a snap in an NFL game has, at one point or another, made throws like Williams did. No one knows how either of them will eventually turn out but if we are just excited a little too early Bears fans must be _____. I'll let you guys fill in the blank. I'm thinking something along the lines of spark in your daddy's eye too early but I can't put it into words.

Must be Bears fans logic.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve never said Caleb was going to be a Hall of Fame quarterback or even win the Super Bowl in the next year two. I’m just saying he is the best quarterback we’ve had in 45 years it’s obvious and it jumps off the screen screen and the rest of the team is pretty darn good too so I’m very excited where we’re going, but by no means is that guarantee us a championship anytime soon…. It just means that we’re hopefully gonna have better quarterback play than I’ve ever seen in my entire life.
In contrast, many many people here believe Jordan love is not only a top five quarterback, but approaching best in the league status which is imho insane. You’re not even sure if he’s better than your last QB. That’s all.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve never said Caleb was going to be a Hall of Fame quarterback or even win the Super Bowl in the next year two. I’m just saying he is the best quarterback we’ve had in 45 years it’s obvious and it jumps off the screen screen and the rest of the team is pretty darn good too so I’m very excited where we’re going, but by no means is that guarantee us a championship anytime soon…. It just means that we’re hopefully gonna have better quarterback play than I’ve ever seen in my entire life.
In contrast, many many people here believe Jordan love is not only a top five quarterback, but approaching best in the league status which is imho insane. You’re not even sure if he’s better than your last QB. That’s all.
Your posts are filled with double standards. Bears fans can be excited over half of a half of a preseason game but Packers fans are insane to be excited over a half of a season where JL played better than almost all the QBs in the league. You tell me which one should offer the most hope based on what they have already accomplished in the NFL. I get that you are excited. Your QBs over the last how many seasons have sucked and now you have one that may be worthy of the hype but he still has to show anything in a real game. Still Packers fans don't have a reason to be excited because our last two QBS are HOFers and our current one may not be as good. Just because our QB might not be better than our last one while yours almost certainly will be ( it would be difficult not to be) doesn't mean we should not be excited. It must be kinda of a drag getting so excited over the idea that your current QB probably won't suck as bad as your last 20.

Reaction score
Lets see, Caleb Williams has three not good at all drives but plays pretty well for the rest of the half and he's the man.

Jordan love has several not good at all games but plays lights out for the last 9 and "y’all are just excited a little too early"

I would be willing to bet that pretty much any QB who has ever taken a snap in an NFL game has, at one point or another, made throws like Williams did. No one knows how either of them will eventually turn out but if we are just excited a little too early Bears fans must be _____. I'll let you guys fill in the blank. I'm thinking something along the lines of spark in your daddy's eye too early but I can't put it into words.

Must be Bears fans logic.
True that. Heck I think Clifford was on rhe Preseason leaderboard his Rookie season. Now he looks like poo poo

The hype for a Rookie player this early is all way overblown. Really for just about any player.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that. Heck I think Clifford was on rhe Preseason leaderboard his Rookie season. Now he looks like poo poo

The hype for a Rookie player this early is all way overblown. Really for just about any player.

I get hype. I get excitement. But lets have a little realism here folks OK. This goes for Packer fans as well but there is one huge difference between Packers fans being excited about Jordan Love and Bears fans being excited about Caleb Williams. I bet you can guess what it is. Jordan Love has actually played in real NFL games and he put up some pretty darn good stats while doing it.

So get excited about your shiny new toy but please hold off on proclaiming him the second coming of ... well, anyone until he at least plays a few games.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys even remember the hype for Peyton Manning or for Andrew Luck?
Look I could be wrong and if I am, I’ll be here every week to talk about it and y’all can tell me how terrible we are every week and trust me. I’ll be here.

I’ll use basketball as an example. Does anyone remember the Bulls record when Lonzo Ball went down with major issues two years ago? They were in first place. Without Lonzo, they barely made the playoffs.
Lonzo was the linchpin that ran that whole team. His defense outside shooting and distributing the ball on offense it all went through him.
Caleb will have the same reaction for this Bears team. Thankfully, only 2 1/2 more weeks till the rest of y’all find out.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys even remember the hype for Peyton Manning or for Andrew Luck?
Look I could be wrong and if I am, I’ll be here every week to talk about it and y’all can tell me how terrible we are every week and trust me. I’ll be here.

I’ll use basketball as an example. Does anyone remember the Bulls record when Lonzo Ball went down with major issues two years ago? They were in first place. Without Lonzo, they barely made the playoffs.
Lonzo was the linchpin that ran that whole team. His defense outside shooting and distributing the ball on offense it all went through him.
Caleb will have the same reaction for this Bears team. Thankfully, only 2 1/2 more weeks till the rest of y’all find out.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sniff and push away is hopefully the true path. I have a weird feeling Hafley's D might not b all in yet.
I guess, if you want to be completely honest, if Gute isn't sniffing he isn't doing his job. That sniff could involve nothing more than a couple of quick phone calls. I imagine the situation would play out something like this...

Gute buzzes his secretary on the intercom.

Gute:. Mary, could you get Jerry Jones on the phone for me please.

Mary:. Right away Mr. Gutekunst. A few seconds pass. It ringing now.

in the cowboys front office a phone rings RING RING

Jerry Jones: hello this is Jerry, how may I direct your call.

Gute: Hey Jerry, its Brian Gutekunst. You fire your secretary trying to save some money for something important? How's the weather down there?

JJ: Hey Brian. Naw, just gave her the week off to go visit her mom in Abilene. It's hotter than the Devils backside here how about up your way?

Gute: Been gorgeous up here man you should come for a visit. Its clear you aren't using your time signing players.

JJ:. Very funny Gute, very funny. You know there is no urgency involved. We don't wanna get suckered into overpaying our guys like some teams do if you know what I mean.

Gute: Boy howdy do I hear you on that one. Listen, thats why I'm calling. Just out of curiosity, if you were inclined to trade Lamb what might you be asking?

JJ: Well, if I was so inclined I suppose I would have to get maybe a first and a second and you could throw in one of your young guys. I hear you got a passel of em. That Watson kid, he still getting hurt all the time?

Gute:. I think he's got that problem all fixed. Its been a couple weeks and still no hamstring injury. Knock on wood. A first and a second and Watson huh? You been read idiot internet bloggers again?

JJ:. What do you mean. CeeDee is the best WR in the league. He's worth at least that. Plus your guy is one more busted leg from needing to be put down.

Gute:. Ha Ha That's a good one. Yeah well I'll have to think about it. I've got one more call to make.

JJ:. It's not to San Francisco is it because just between you and me I've heard that Aiyuk kid is a bigger PITA than a bee under a saddle.

Gute: Another good one Jerry but don't quit your day job. Nah, just one more guy I gotta call. I'll be in touch.

JJ: I'm not going anywhere Brian. I gotta be here until 5:00 anyway in case anyone else calls. Take it easy especially on us if we meet in the playoffs again.

Gute: No promises Jer. No promises. Ill be in touch.

CLICK

In a sports agent office somewhere. RING RING

Agent guy:. Hello you've reached show me the money sports marketing this is CeeDee Lamb's agent how can I help you?

Gute:. Doesn't anybody have a secretary anymore. Did I miss a memo or something?

AG: Nah. I just gave here the week off so she could go visit her mom in Abilene. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with today.

Gute:. Abilene huh...I wonder? Oh well never mind. This is Brian Gutekunst of the Green bay Packers.

AG:. Ah Mr. Gutekunst, I've just been reading some idiot bloggers on line and Ive been expecting your call.

Gute. Yeah, well, I'll get straight to the point. What kind of deal you looking for for CeeDee Lamb.

AG: Lamb huh. Well you know, he is the best WR in the league. Much better than that Jefferson kid in Minnesota and he's making 35 mil a year.

Gute:. So you're looking at something more than that.

AG: not necessarily. I know you guys only like to match the highest paid player. And CeeDee has more than a half a season of good film.

Gute:. Yeah right. OK I'll be in touch.

CLICK

Gute:. Mary, could you please call Jerry Jones back and tell him we will have to pass on that trade. And after that why don't you head home early. In fact why don't you take next week off and go visit your mom. She lives in Abilene doesn't she?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok Lamb will stay in Dallas, behind only Jefferson in $$$. So between Prescott and Lamb that's around $80-$90 mil in cap hit, averaged out. They can have him. Now 1700 plus yards in 2023 is nothing to sniff at. I just don't see the sense in paying a guy in a position group that kinda $$$. But it's happening. I hope the Packers can avoid it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ok Lamb will stay in Dallas, behind only Jefferson in $$$. So between Prescott and Lamb that's around $80-$90 mil in cap hit, averaged out. They can have him. Now 1700 plus yards in 2023 is nothing to sniff at. I just don't see the sense in paying a guy in a position group that kinda $$$. But it's happening. I hope the Packers can avoid it.
his $38 million signing bonus is the record for a wideout.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts