Trading for Malik Willis

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Otherwise, this could be enough to completely derail the season.
Selfishly, I'm hoping the Spirit Healer works its magic and he's back for the Titans game in Nashville. I signed up for going to that game when the schedule was released. It will still be a fun trip, but I'm probably going to have to get my fill of Love elsewhere while on it. :cool:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Selfishly, I'm hoping the Spirit Healer works its magic and he's back for the Titans game in Nashville. I signed up for going to that game when the schedule was released. It will still be a fun trip, but I'm probably going to have to get my fill of Love elsewhere while on it. :cool:
From what I read on Google; it all depends on the severity of it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From what I read on Google; it all depends on the severity of it.
Severity and the person/treatment as well. All bodies heal at a different rate.

One thing that I doubt the Packers do, is rush Love back. Especially if they lose all the games while he is out. Let's hope it isn't the case, but if the Packers are 0-5 and Love is marginally ready to go, I don't see risking bringing him back too quickly. Now if it happened in Week 14 and the playoffs were starting (Packers in them), than I can see rushing him back.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darnold was the starting QB for MN. That's why they brought him in. They were not going to start JJ. He might have been starting by the end of the season, but Darnold was always going to be the day 1 starter.

JJ was the plan unless he proved he couldn’t do it, Darnold was the security blanket if he couldn’t. JJ’s injury made the decision for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
JJ was the plan unless he proved he couldn’t do it, Darnold was the security blanket if he couldn’t. JJ’s injury made the decision for them.

I do hope that JJ can come back from his injury and have a very below average career with the Vikings.

I know it was only his first game in the NFL, but I watched Caleb Williams yesterday. So far, he looks like Justin Fields, without the wheels. Indecisive, out of sync and not reading what the defenses give him. Just one game, I expect him to improve, but at least he didn't come out and light it up, against a very average defense, at home.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my full take on the situation:

For those thinking Malik Willis is Brett Favre...you're an idiot

For those thinking Malik Willis is Brucie...you're an idiot
Malik Willis is far from a known commodity, especially inside MLF's offense. Am I shocked we are rolling with him and news hasn't broke of some Veteran being traded for or coming in to town today? YES...but Malik is a VERY above average athlete, big arm...question has been can he read and make the right choice fast enough for the NFL system. I expect to see some quick hit calls more so than we see with Love OR some designed boots left and right that offer him a chance to progress through and/or use one of his best qualities - his athleticism.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is out for sure 2 weeks and maybe 3 weeks. With Willis starting, I'm afraid the Packers will be desperate enough to start Love with only 3 weeks rest against the Vikings in week 4 because they'll be 0-3 and looking at a potential 0-4 start which would make a playoff run really tough. Not taking care of the qb#2 position sure didn't take long to rear its ugly head. If a competent #2 was available, the next 3 games would be winnable but my confidence in Willis is below that if Seneca Wallace in a similar situation in 2013.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If a competent #2 was available, the next 3 games would be winnable but my confidence in Willis is below that if Seneca Wallace in a similar situation in 2013.

When is a "competent" QB available, one week into a season?

Also, even if there was someone viewed as better than Willis, do you really expect him just to start practicing today and be competent this coming Sunday?

Out of all the positions, I would say "plugging and playing" a QB is the hardest by a lot, no matter how competent they are.

Gute screwed the pooch here, but it wasn't in his signing of Willis, it was waiting until the end of August to do it.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is out for sure 2 weeks and maybe 3 weeks. With Willis starting, I'm afraid the Packers will be desperate enough to start Love with only 3 weeks rest against the Vikings in week 4 because they'll be 0-3 and looking at a potential 0-4 start which would make a playoff run really tough. Not taking care of the qb#2 position sure didn't take long to rear its ugly head. If a competent #2 was available, the next 3 games would be winnable but my confidence in Willis is below that if Seneca Wallace in a similar situation in 2013.
Week 10, 12? Yeah. Give Willis 3 months in the system, learning the playbook, and I might have some confidence that Willis could step up (even though that does take us into a very tough part of the schedule). But we're asking an awful lot of a young and inexperienced quarterback, who's only had 2 weeks to study the playbook, to step in and lead a young and inexperienced team starting in Week 2. He's no Joe Flacco.

I'm a little surprised that he's got that reputation for being such a slow learner. The kid scored 32 on his Wonderlic; that's an IQ in the high 120s or so - Tom Brady level. I'd expect him to be a pretty quick study.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling JJ will be sitting on the bench for quite a while.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love misses time, there's a part of me that believes that it won't even be Malik. I think it's entirely possible that this is a development year for Malik and he was only going to be relied on in a pinch.

If it's a multi game absence, bringing up Clifford from the practice squad as the starter in favor of his familiarity with the offense and system would not surprise me.
I agree. And maybe if he is playing with the starters they can help him elevate his game. It would be nice if he could have the same talent as Matt Flynn. At least when he was playing for the Pack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that he's got such a reputation for being asuch a slopw learner. The kid scored 32 on his Wonderlic; that's an IQ in the high 120s or so - Tom Brady level. I'd expect him to be a pretty quick study.
I was actually surprised to see him as the #2 QB on Friday. I figured it would take at least a month with the playbook and establishing some chemistry with the offense. So either 1 or 2 things, or a combination of both can be inferred from him being the #2 so quickly.

First, he has better skills than Clifford and is a quick study, so MLF decided he was the best option as their #2 on Friday night.

Second, MLF has very little confidence in Clifford as the #2 and felt that Willis, despite him not being ready was still the best option.

In either scenario, doesn't say much about Clifford, who was the backup QB for all of 2023. MLF obviously thinks Willis is the better QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. And maybe if he is playing with the starters they can help him elevate his game. It would be nice if he could have the same talent as Matt Flynn. At least when he was playing for the Pack.

I think the Packers already know that it will be multiple games that Love will be out.

MLF already stated that Willis will be the #1 QB on Sunday.

Now if Willis is stinking up Lambeau for a half and the Packers are down by 3 scores, maybe Clifford starts the 2nd half. I wouldn't bet against Clifford not seeing playing time while Love is out.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually surprised to see him as the #2 QB on Friday. I figured it would take at least a month with the playbook and establishing some chemistry with the offense. So either 1 or 2 things, or a combination of both can be inferred from him being the #2 so quickly.

First, he has better skills than Clifford and is a quick study, so MLF decided he was the best option as their #2 on Friday night.

Second, MLF has very little confidence in Clifford as the #2 and felt that Willis, despite him not being ready was still the best option.

In either scenario, doesn't say much about Clifford, who was the backup QB for all of 2023. MLF obviously thinks Willis is the better QB.

Truthfully I'd support us bringing back Kurt Benkert as Willis's backup over Clifford.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Truthfully I'd support us bringing back Kurt Benkert as Willis's backup over Clifford.
Really? It's been 3 years since Benkert was on the team and he took 2 snaps, to kneel down.

I guess the biggest value with Clifford is that this is his 2nd year in the system. Benkert appears to have never even played a real snap in a real NFL game and has been out of the NFL since 11/15/22. He played in the XFL in 2023, but not a hell of a lot (stats below). Plus, he announced his retirement on 8/26/23...gotta believe the guy isn't in football shape.

No way would I want to head into a game with Wills as my #1 and Benkert as my #2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? It's been 3 years since Benkert was on the team and he took 2 snaps, to kneel down.

I guess the biggest value with Clifford is that this is his 2nd year in the system. Benkert appears to have never even played a real snap in a real NFL game and has been out of the NFL since 11/15/22. He played in the XFL in 2023, but not a hell of a lot (stats below). Plus, he announced his retirement on 8/26/23...gotta believe the guy isn't in football shape.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Trust me, my comment says more about my faith in Clifford than in Kurt. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trust me, my comment says more about my faith in Clifford than in Kurt. :)
Fair enough. I guess DeShone Kizer or Brett Hundley are on the table then?

Hundley was reportedly the XFL's highest-paid player during his time with the Vipers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess DeShone Kizer or Brett Hundley are on the table then?

Hundley was reportedly the XFL's highest-paid player during his time with the Vipers.

Truthfully with Love hopefully back soon the best candidate in Tannehill ain't happening....

Of others I'd strongly support a Michael White signing then a Gabbert then a McCarron signing....otherwise it's PS guys or trades.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Truthfully with Love hopefully back soon the best candidate in Tannehill ain't happening....

Of others I'd strongly support a Michael White signing then a Gabbert then a McCarron signing....otherwise it's PS guys or trades.
I guess we will find out what we have in Willis on Sunday. While Tannehill would have been my choice as the #2, it would have been made months ago or whenever they decided that neither Clifford or Pratt were good options at #2. Maybe they weren't 100% sure of that until after the final preseason game, but that is a very crucial decision for a team that was supposedly a playoff bound team, to wait that long to decide.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is a "competent" QB available, one week into a season?

Also, even if there was someone viewed as better than Willis, do you really expect him just to start practicing today and be competent this coming Sunday?

Out of all the positions, I would say "plugging and playing" a QB is the hardest by a lot, no matter how competent they are.

Gute screwed the pooch here, but it wasn't in his signing of Willis, it was waiting until the end of August to do it.
I mean a competent qb #2 on the roster, not a desperation attempt to find somebody not on the team after Love goes down. Most back up qb's aren't very good but I would say the Packers back up situation is towards the bottom of all the current back ups . Maybe Willis will surprise everybody and look good but I highly doubt it. This has Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien written all over it.

Members online