The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still would rather they build a solid defense, solid players on offense and find a QB, whether its a vet or a rookie, that fits the offense.
Yeah, but you need to have an offense in order to find a QB to fit it.
Anyway, I thought Love was the guy MLF wanted to run his offense.

Reaction score
The Steelers game was good because we questioned Jordan’s long game. Over the last 2 weeks Love has been statistically one of the top 4 in the league. Had he made that very last throw and Won the game? it would’ve easily put him as one of the best couple of QB’s in the league across Weeks 9,10 in the long game. Long game = arm strength

For me Jordan’s finest performance was still that Bears game. We had no idea what he was capable of and he passed all expectations.
245 yards passing
3TD
123% QB rating

That Steelers game was #2 for me. Had Love connected with no time left and Won that game? I’d say that would’ve been the equivalent of that Brett Favre TD throw in Holmgren's first season that locked him in as starter. Brett also had some shaky games across his first 2 seasons, but his arm strength was on full display. Like Ron Wolf knew all along with Brett. You can teach a QB to make better reads and the nuances, but you can’t teach arm strength. Everyone thought Wolf was crazy using a Day1 for a backup Atlanta QB. Favre looked confused as he did everything wrong in NFL year 2, he’s said so himself.

I actually see elements of Favre and Rodgers both in Jordan. You guys can call me crazy. If Jordan puts 2-3 more feet of height on several regulation throws? He’s won at least 2-3 more games. I’ll say it again, I want to see Jordan slightly overthrow a Receiver in similar situation. I know that sounds crazy but I want to see him adjust in the opposite direction and then I’ll be sold. He’ll also likely get PI if he’s a little deeper as their CB will be forced to run into our WR. Thus far we’ve taken the Ref out because the ball is catchable by the DB and at that point, he becomes the Receiver

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brett's offense in 92

Does that sound better than what we have now

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Brett's offense in 92

Does that sound better than what we have now

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Again, I don't think comparisons are fair in this situation. 1992 vs 2023 seasons are completely different. The game has evolved and the players, especially the QB, are more protected. Dan Marino was the leading passer that season with 4116 yards. It wasn't really even close. Steve Young came in at 3465 yards. Favre was actually 9th in passing with 3227. A very solid year for 1992. It's kind of like comparing prices of cars from today to 1992. You have to adjust the dollar value to inflation. It's just a hard thing to do. If you want to make comparison without adjusting for the times I took the 2020 season and tossed it into a spreadsheet with the 1992 season. I only did this because they added the extra game in 2021. If you took 2021 then Tom Brady tossed for 5316 yards for Tampa.

Anyway, Watson led the way in 2020 with 4823 yards passing. Marino would drop all the way to 11th in passing with 4116. Rodgers won the MVP that season with 4299 yards passing being four spots ahead of Marino. To answer your question, no. I would not take a 1992 offense into the 2023 season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I don't think comparisons are fair in this situation. 1992 vs 2023 seasons are completely different. The game has evolved and the players, especially the QB, are more protected. Dan Marino was the leading passer that season with 4116 yards. It wasn't really even close. Steve Young came in at 3465 yards. Favre was actually 9th in passing with 3227. A very solid year for 1992. It's kind of like comparing prices of cars from today to 1992. You have to adjust the dollar value to inflation. It's just a hard thing to do. If you want to make comparison without adjusting for the times I took the 2020 season and tossed it into a spreadsheet with the 1992 season. I only did this because they added the extra game in 2021. If you took 2021 then Tom Brady tossed for 5316 yards for Tampa.

Anyway, Watson led the way in 2020 with 4823 yards passing. Marino would drop all the way to 11th in passing with 4116. Rodgers won the MVP that season with 4299 yards passing being four spots ahead of Marino. To answer your question, no. I would not take a 1992 offense into the 2023 season.
And if I am not mistaken Favre did not play until Majikowski was injured sometime during Game no. 3 in 1992.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

That wasn't my question really.

Is the online from 92 better than now? For instance.
Is frank winters better than Meyers or is Meyers better?

What about wr? Individual are those wr better? Then group now

Its done all the time. What team was better

Krabs

Reaction score
Love is definitively trending in the right direction. There's not too much he did wrong yesterday. He missed Musgrave wide open up the sidelines and then way underthrew Doubs on a deep ball. Those two plays stood out to me, but no QB is going to play perfect ball. I just wish he would figure out his deep ball. Looks like his longest completion was to Wicks and Kraft for 27 yards, but they did most of the work on those completions. I'd wager his longest completion was the 24 yard strike on the game winning TD to Doubs. That was a very nice touch pass. The Chargers are really bad defensively ranking 32 in the league against the pass. Love did what he should do against a defense like that. I tip the cap to him. Well done young man! Overall, that was a very efficient game for Love. He took what the defense was giving him and didn't turn the ball over. It will be a tougher challenge next week against the Lions. Hopefully he is building confident and cohesion with his receivers. I'm interested to see what happens Thanksgiving day. GPG!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That team had a better coaching staff from top to bottom. They extracted a lot from what they had. Holmgren made them so much more disciplined than they were in either the 70s or 80s.

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score

Again, it is very hard to compare those two teams. The game is so different then it used to be. I rewatched the Bengals game from 1992 not that long ago and the offensive sets were just completely different. There were two backs in the backfield and two TE sets both designed for runs. It's just really difficult to compare. I go back to the car analogy. Would you take a car from 1992 or one from 2023? I just don't think there is an answer here. The times are just too different. Honestly, there's no way to tell if Winters is better than Myers. Myers is probably playing against bigger, stronger and faster players. My initial thought is Winters, but do we really know? The 1992 Packers had Sterling Sharpe. That's probably the only WR I would take off that squad. Sharpe, Brooks, Beach, Lewis and Taylor. Sharpe had 108 catches that season. 2nd was Beach with 17. Then it was TEs and RBs.

I don't think you can answer what team was better.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, it is very hard to compare those two teams. The game is so different then it used to be. I rewatched the Bengals game from 1992 not that long ago and the offensive sets were just completely different. There were two backs in the backfield and two TE sets both designed for runs. It's just really difficult to compare. I go back to the car analogy. Would you take a car from 1992 or one from 2023? I just don't think there is an answer here. The times are just too different. Honestly, there's no way to tell if Winters is better than Myers. Myers is probably playing against bigger, stronger and faster players. My initial thought is Winters, but do we really know? The 1992 Packers had Sterling Sharpe. That's probably the only WR I would take off that squad. Sharpe, Brooks, Beach, Lewis and Taylor. Sharpe had 108 catches that season. 2nd was Beach with 17. Then it was TEs and RBs.

Good analogy. But you can answer it relative to the opposing teams of the time in the league. No matter what era all of us are only as good as the competition we face.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good analogy. But you can answer it relative to the opposing teams of the time in the league. No matter what era all of us are only as good as the competition we face.
Exactly. I'd take Sharpe, Harris and the OL from that offense. May be recency bias but '23 Love is better than '92 Favre though Favre was more fun to watch.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Nothing to do with time. If you look at each individual player.

Would you want Reggie or Preston?

you rather have Watson than Sharpe? Or you want Sharpe and not Watson?

But I think I know why you are avoiding answering. It shows Farve had a better surrounding team than Love

Krabs

Reaction score
Nothing to do with time. If you look at each individual player.

Would you want Reggie or Preston?

you rather have Watson than Sharpe? Or you want Sharpe and not Watson?

But I think I know why you are avoiding answering. It shows Farve had a better surrounding team than Love
I'm not avoiding anything. I would take Reggie and Sharpe all day long. Reggie White wasn't on the 1992 Green Bay Packers. I would argue Favre did not have a better supporting cast in 1992. I listed off his WRs. I would easily take the 2023 WR corp. over the 1992 group. I listed them off already. It was pretty horrible. I would not take Taylor, Lewis, Brooks, or Beach. Beach was 2nd in catches out of that group with 17 catches on the season and that is in a 16 game schedule. The RB group was pretty bad as well. Worman led the team with 631 yards on the ground. I can't say I agree that Favre had better players around him in 1992.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not avoiding anything. I would take Reggie and Sharpe all day long. Reggie White wasn't on the 1992 Green Bay Packers. I would argue Favre did not have a better supporting cast in 1992. I listed off his WRs. I would easily take the 2023 WR corp. over the 1992 group. I listed them off already. It was pretty horrible. I would not take Taylor, Lewis, Brooks, or Beach. Beach was 2nd in catches out of that group with 17 catches on the season and that is in a 16 game schedule. The RB group was pretty bad as well. Worman led the team with 631 yards on the ground. I can't say I agree that Favre had better players around him in 1992.
Rb I agree now they are better.. But I was focused on OL, wr and te.

For me overall 92 as a whole unit was better

Reaction score
You got me thinking. Because comparisons across decades do matter and are harder to evaluate so on that you are correct.
But luckily it’s not impossible either. Accounting for 17 games first here. Here’s a better sample size:

I took 5 seasons “high pass yardage”

1990-1994 = 4492 average leader

2018-2023 = 5001 average leader

It’s exactly 90% (89.834%)

So yes it’s not a direct comparison. However 10% is not that drastic like the Auto market. We’re talking 5X

1990 F150 MSRP $10K-$13K

2023 MSRP Currently $45K-70
Using an auto comparison is severely inflated example that might unintentionally delude some people. 10% does not = 500%

So in fact, Love throwing ~4190 yards would = Brett across 13 starts. Love is currently pacing 3,928 yards. I’ve accounted for PER GAME here. My analysis shows if Love brings his game up even a smidge? He’s going to shut a lot of people up.

On a related note (not directed at you) I’ve already noticed some crickets in the Media this morning. The same ones pounding on Love are realizing that God is very capable, much more so than our mans minuscule thinking brains

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score
You got me thinking. Because comparisons across decades do matter and are harder to evaluate so on that you are correct.
But luckily it’s not impossible either. Accounting for 17 games first here. Here’s a better sample size:

I took 5 seasons “high pass yardage”

1990-1994 = 4492 average leader

2018-2023 = 5001 average leader

It’s exactly 90% (89.834%)

So yes it’s not a direct comparison. However 10% is not that drastic like the Auto market. We’re talking 5X

1990 F150 MSRP $10K-$13K

2023 MSRP Currently $45K-70
Using an auto comparison is severely inflated example that might unintentionally delude some people. 10% does not = 500%

So in fact, Love throwing ~4190 yards would = Brett across 13 starts. Love is currently pacing 3,928 yards. I’ve accounted for PER GAME here. My analysis shows if Love brings his game up even a smidge? He’s going to shut a lot of people up.
Including myself. I have no problem with Love being good and proving me wrong. In fact, I welcome it.

Members online