The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further compounding and muddy factor is BOTH Tua and Love have the same agent and BOTH are trying to make themselves the highest paid player....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further compounding and muddy factor is BOTH Tua and Love have the same agent and BOTH are trying to make themselves the highest paid player....
Oh wow I didn't know they had the same agent. That could be a distraction. Really just hope the deal gets done this week. There are a lotta rumors out there - they're close to a deal, they're not. Whatever. Find a way to get it done.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree. It’s not a good look to fans. Although I do like @Pkrjones comment about not wanting to tear an Achilles moments before he signs a Mega Deal. Imagine if he did that this week how much he could lose.

I think it gets settled by this weekend. They should just meet in the middle and move forward.
While I get the injury stuff, a new contract won't protect him from getting injured.

Should every player, whose contract expires at the end of the season, sit out until they get new deals?

I understand that Love doesn't want to sustain a fluke injury and miss out on more than $150+ million of guaranteed money. However, lets say he does get that big contract and he sustains a career ending injury in practice, was that contract good for the Packers? Should the Packers have a clause that says "If you can't practice/play, you don't get paid"? Even if he sustains an injury that puts him out for a year. He still gets his $11M while sitting out the season. The Packers would still want to sign him to a new deal for the 2025 season and beyond.

People forget that there are insurance companies that are willing to take on the risk of things like this. Of course, that comes at the price of a decent size premium. Who should pay that premium? The person that the payout benefits of course.

Let's not forget that Jordan Love is still under contract, still getting paid, yet is refusing to practice with his team. Do the right thing, buy an insurance policy, keep practicing, keep being a team guy, keep negotiating a new contract, stop sticking it to the team to pony up millions of dollars to insure that you don't get injured. Because if you do happen to get hurt, you have just stuck it to your team and teammates (see David Bakhtiari).

I understood "guarantees" when they were just enough to get you through life, maybe without even having to get another job. However, when we are talking anything over $5M, that to me is just how whacky the NFL has gotten, yet alone $150M.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He just doesn't want to get hurt on some fluke play. It is probably close to being done. jmo
As I stated in my previous post, how does a contract protect him from getting hurt? Let's say he does get hurt in practice, before a new deal is done. He wants to be paid $50M to sit out the year due to injury? He already has $13.5M in the bank from his guarantees created in the 2 year deal he signed last year.

Pure greed by agents and players and the NFL owners are rich enough to fall for it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I stated in my previous post, how does a contract protect him from getting hurt? Let's say he does get hurt in practice, before a new deal is done. He wants to be paid $50M to sit out the year due to injury? He already has $13.5M in the bank from his guarantees created in the 2 year deal he signed last year.

Pure greed by agents and players and the NFL owners are rich enough to fall for it.
To an extent. You also have to know your value. I just went through an entire petition to our county salary ordinance due to studying over 20 other offices in the same field in other county governments and their pay compared to ours. I was losing people left and right due to they could jump ship and do the same thing for 5% clear to 20% higher rates in some cases.

That all said, I get it and truthfully is one reason I think they should just be done with rookie deal's structured as they are....have them be one or two year contracts with some type of structure where a team that drafts the player can sign the player to a contract and in the the third and fourth year (typical rookie structure now) only half or up to a certain amount actually hits the team for cap purposes. Not a perfect idea however, as the richer teams could do far more and you'd have to limit contract structure in a way not to have many teams say sign a WR to a $40M/year contract for say four years...but the team gives the player $60M a year in first two years only costing the team $30M against the cap....so this would need fleshed out and thought out but rookie deals truthfully need rethought and possibly done away with entirely or in a way like expressed to eliminate or lesson the amount of second contract hold out situations we see.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the same agent, but the same agency - Athletes First. Tua's agent is Ryan Williams.

Dak has the same agent as Love, Mulugheta.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That all said, I get it and truthfully is one reason I think they should just be done with rookie deal's structured as they are....have them be one or two year contracts with some type of structure where a team that drafts the player can sign the player to a contract and in the the third and fourth year (typical rookie structure now) only half or up to a certain amount actually hits the team for cap purposes.
I wouldn't be a fan of that. Draft picks are big investments for teams. A 1-2 year contract and then you lose the guy to the highest bidder? Not my cup of tea at all. I also like the 5th year option. Jordan Love is a perfect example of how well it works. The Packers invested a 1st and 4th round pick in him and it took all 4 years to see what he had on the field. Now if you are talking about 4 or 5 year rookie deals that allow flexibility in the contracts after each year, that works for me. The only problem would be the guy that has the HUGE rookie season, holding out for a huge new contract after just 1 year.

Guaranteed contracts or should I say, the amount of money being guaranteed, IMO is the problem. Like I said, I understand the guaranteeing that a player has a life after football, in the case of a career ending injury, but that is what insurance is for. Maybe the team and player together pay for an insurance contract to cover that? But giving players guarantees of millions of dollars, whether they play or don't? Just crazy talk in my humble opinion, but as I said before, shows you how the NFL continues to print its own money. The other negative of all these huge guarantees is on the quality of players a team can carry. Having a contract like the one Bahk had, can weigh a team's cap down and dilute the product that they are able to put on the field.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any new contract will have a lot more than $13.5M guaranteed. Of course he doesn't want to sit out. Just a precaution. imho

Reaction score
Whether we like it or not - this is happening and our wagon as a whole is getting hitched to Love for minimum three years without massive pain in disconnecting.
I’m actually ok with going all in on Jordan. He’s obviusly not a fluke. I think his floor is a good league average type QB. That said, if he cleans up his game? I think he’s arguably that Top 10 QB on a regular basis. Potential to lead the league in multiple stats.

Reaction score
If I’m GM I might even suggest going a long term, but lesser annual. Such as a 6yr X 57mil per but 2/3 guar.
Its a smidge high for a season or two but levels off mid contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any new contract will have a lot more than $13.5M guaranteed. Of course he doesn't want to sit out. Just a precaution. imho
Of course it will have more guaranteed. My question is should it? I know the answer most will give "That is how it is done in the NFL". No doubt, I am just simply saying that I think guaranteed money has ruined the game.

So when you say "just a precaution". You mean, if he gets injured and can't play? So you think that happening should be compensated with $200M of guaranteed money? Asking for a friend. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of Love. No Love, bring in Eason.

The Packers signed Jacob Eason today. Camp arm, I doubt he has time to unpack, that is if Love either starts practicing and/or signs a new contract.

I'm bummed that to make room for him, they cut former Badger and long snapper Peter Bowden.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize that Lawrence's contract averages $55 mil/year, same as Joe Burrows. Trevor Lawrence got a lot of money for mediocre play. Love would be nuts to sign for less, but again, it will come down to bonus and guaranteed $$$.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a fan of that. Draft picks are big investments for teams. A 1-2 year contract and then you lose the guy to the highest bidder? Not my cup of tea at all. I also like the 5th year option. Jordan Love is a perfect example of how well it works. The Packers invested a 1st and 4th round pick in him and it took all 4 years to see what he had on the field. Now if you are talking about 4 or 5 year rookie deals that allow flexibility in the contracts after each year, that works for me. The only problem would be the guy that has the HUGE rookie season, holding out for a huge new contract after just 1 year.

Guaranteed contracts or should I say, the amount of money being guaranteed, IMO is the problem. Like I said, I understand the guaranteeing that a player has a life after football, in the case of a career ending injury, but that is what insurance is for. Maybe the team and player together pay for an insurance contract to cover that? But giving players guarantees of millions of dollars, whether they play or don't? Just crazy talk in my humble opinion, but as I said before, shows you how the NFL continues to print its own money. The other negative of all these huge guarantees is on the quality of players a team can carry. Having a contract like the one Bahk had, can weigh a team's cap down and dilute the product that they are able to put on the field.
I was meaning we almost always see issues with good players on the end of their rookie deals with sitting outs and such....get rid of the LONG contracts they get and it would minimize it is all...and still give a massive leverage to the drafting teams IF you did something as I described.

I'd be all for the players' union and the league coming up for something incase of injuries that the cap hit lessons.....that would need to be so so so heavily policed however because you'd have teams can folks for injury more if there was a benefit to it...not sure how I would structure it but I'd want to see where discussions would lead.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was meaning we almost always see issues with good players on the end of their rookie deals with sitting outs and such....get rid of the LONG contracts they get and it would minimize it is all...and still give a massive leverage to the drafting teams IF you did something as I described.

I'd be all for the players' union and the league coming up for something incase of injuries that the cap hit lessons.....that would need to be so so so heavily policed however because you'd have teams can folks for injury more if there was a benefit to it...not sure how I would structure it but I'd want to see where discussions would lead.

I've said it before, I think if each team got 1 cap exemption for a player who missed say 9 or more games (1/2 the season), it would take some of the sting out of a huge contract like Bahk's weighing down the cap in 2023. Obviously, that doesn't do the team any good for that season, but would be rolled into the next season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before, I think if each team got 1 cap exemption for a player who missed say 9 or more games (1/2 the season), it would take some of the sting out of a huge contract like Bahk's weighing down the cap in 2023. Obviously, that doesn't do the team any good for that season, but would be rolled into the next season

Teams would just find a reason for a player to miss time....especially if it didn't cost the player.....

Love signs MEGA contract....

We lose our first five or six games...

....Kenny Clark "out for season with knee injury" = MASSIVE savings....

Stuff like that would happen a ton and is why it will never happen unless BOTH sides lose some...but players will never agree as that takes money out of their pockets....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First step towards transforming into the "diva"?
That and the power of agents. Let's face it, agents get paid upfront for BIG contracts. They would hate to see their client suddenly not a BIG contract due to an injury. The problem is, those big massive contracts and guarantees have gotten so BIG, that it seems that anyone in line for one, sits out/told by agent to sit out.

Jordan Love will get paid, the "problem" for the Packers is, he will be paid what his future talent "should" bring the Packers, with no injuries or loss of talent along the way. Locking him into a $150M+ guaranteed really doesn't offer any insurance for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Teams would just find a reason for a player to miss time....especially if it didn't cost the player.....

Love signs MEGA contract....

We lose our first five or six games...

....Kenny Clark "out for season with knee injury" = MASSIVE savings....

Stuff like that would happen a ton and is why it will never happen unless BOTH sides lose some...but players will never agree as that takes money out of their pockets....
Might happen, but lots of checks and balances to prevent it or penalize those getting caught cheating the system. I doubt Kenny Clark is going to voluntarily sit out 11 games, just to help the Packers cap.

We/I seem to hit this point every year when it comes to contracts and guarantees. Football would be much better if pay was based mainly on incentives.

Reaction score
I didn't realize that Lawrence's contract averages $55 mil/year, same as Joe Burrows. Trevor Lawrence got a lot of money for mediocre play. Love would be nuts to sign for less, but again, it will come down to bonus and guaranteed $$$.
Yeah and what’s crazy is I think Jordan is better than Trevor Lawrence long term. Who would’ve said that before he was drafted #1 overall?

Favre, Rodgers and Love all cost us a later Day1 selections. Thats just insane. In a draft “do over” I’d offer its even possible you’d get all 3 drafted at that #1, #2,#3 overall Slot (in their respective drafts) At least very close to that

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Favre, Rodgers and Love all cost us a later Day1 selection. Thats insane. In a do over it’s even possible you’d get all 3 drafted at that #1 Slot. At least very close to that
If you could turn back time, I am 100% confident that both Favre and Rodgers would be selected #1 in their drafts. Looking back at the first round picks in 1991 and 2005 is kind of scary how bad both rounds turned out for teams.

As far as Love goes, time will tell. Right now he, Lawrence, Tua, Herbert, CD Lamb and Burrows appear to be the studs of 2020 Round 1.

Reaction score
If you could turn back time, I am 100% confident that both Favre and Rodgers would be selected #1 in their drafts. Looking back at the first round picks in 1991 and 2005 is kind of scary how bad both rounds turned out for teams.

As far as Love goes, time will tell. Right now he, Lawrence, Tua, Herbert, CD Lamb and Burrows appear to be the studs of 2020 Round 1.

You mean Chase Young not Lawrence right? Or didn’t you mean Trevor
I think Love would go #2 after Burrows as it sits. #3-#4 at the latest. We know Okudah isnt going top 3 so he’s out.
Just my guess

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, Rodgers and Love all cost us a later Day1 selections. Thats just insane. In a draft “do over” I’d offer its even possible you’d get all 3 drafted at that #1, #2,#3 overall Slot (in their respective drafts) At least very close to that
Damn, that's a good point. Rodgers went 24, Love went 26, and the #19 pick we traded to Atlanta was used to select RB Tony Smith - 87 carries, 329 yards over 33 games played.

Think they'd like to fire up the Wayback Machine and do that one over?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it will have more guaranteed. My question is should it? I know the answer most will give "That is how it is done in the NFL". No doubt, I am just simply saying that I think guaranteed money has ruined the game.

So when you say "just a precaution". You mean, if he gets injured and can't play? So you think that happening should be compensated with $200M of guaranteed money? Asking for a friend. ;)
I don't hardly understand your question. It's just a precaution for Jordan to have a deal done w/o any complications that an injury might cause. And certainly, once a contract is in place; the contract would spell out how to handle any injury from then on as far as money is concerned. Just the way it is imho. Him not actually practicing means to me that the contract is near. We'll see.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hardly understand your question. It's just a precaution for Jordan to have a deal done w/o any complications that an injury might cause. And certainly, once a contract is in place; the contract would spell out how to handle any injury from then on as far as money is concerned. Just the way it is imho. Him not actually practicing means to me that the contract is near. We'll see.

Poker struggles to separate his absolute hatred for the level of he contracts and such when discussing such events. Which to be fair is not without merit.

Members online