The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What I didn't realize until rewatching the game last night was GB tried the "sit for a few years" thing with Favre also. Majiks injury sped up the process. Favre sat a year in Atlanta, then was playing second fiddle to the Majik man. A decent season from the team in '92 and Favre wouldn't have gotten his chance until the following camp. Maybe would have been less agonizing, frustrating, exhilarating in '93 if he'd had more development time and QB school.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, if he'd never seen a blue sky, that's where he'd debate from. If he had then he'd argue it might be possible but you'd have to defend that it's blue right now. His reasoning, which I finally figured out, was "show me" don't give me potential. Everything was based on historical data not theoretical potential. Hence his disagreement with the Love drafting and with Mason never being more than an average kicker.
It was also selective. He would constantly refer to Love's senior year at Utah State (when the entire team was a mess) as proof that he was a bad pick but would never acknowledge his outstanding junior year as significant at all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I didn't realize until rewatching the game last night was GB tried the "sit for a few years" thing with Favre also. Majiks injury sped up the process. Favre sat a year in Atlanta, then was playing second fiddle to the Majik man. A decent season from the team in '92 and Favre wouldn't have gotten his chance until the following camp. Maybe would have been less agonizing, frustrating, exhilarating in '93 if he'd had more development time and QB school.
While I don't disagree with what you say. The other side of the coin is that Majik was actually pretty good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with what you say. The other side of the coin is that Majik was actually pretty good.

He definitely wasn't a bad QB. Bad string of injuries just never gave him a chance to see if that 1989 year he put up as a 25 year old QB was going to be the norm or not...I mean seriously that year's statline:

353 for 599 (58.9%) for 4,318 yards 27 TDs and 20 INTs with a Rate of 82.3 isn't bad at all for a very young QB truly...especially given the time in the NFL that was.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He definitely wasn't a bad QB. Bad string of injuries just never gave him a chance to see if that 1989 year he put up as a 25 year old QB was going to be the norm or not...I mean seriously that year's statline:

353 for 599 (58.9%) for 4,318 yards 27 TDs and 20 INTs with a Rate of 82.3 isn't bad at all for a very young QB truly...especially given the time in the NFL that was.
Imagine what he could have been if he'd trusted his other young receivers and stopped throwing most of his passes to Sterling Sharpe.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you have the right guy for them to learn behind.

To an extent even when some argue you don't it helps...it is actually a factor many don't like to discuss because everyone likes to talk about the high elite rookie QBs inside the lens of starting right away.

The top QBs in the league right now arguably are Mahomes, Lamar, Allen, Dak, Purdy, Tua, Herbert...

Mahomes....sat behind Alex Smith a whole year
Lamar...Joe Flacco was starter until his injury about half way through Jackson's first season
Allen...one of the few on the list to start right away.
Dak...Never intended to be the starter, had Romo all through camp and everything and then injury.
Purdy...Same as above but more of the season sat behind Jimmy G till injury.
Tua...Ryan Fitzpatrick was starter for a while with Tua behind him.
Herbert...Tyrod Taylor was the starter and played well week 1, but his injury then opened door and Herbert took it and ran with it. Again no pressure of being starter right away.

Others showing out well...

Love....well we all know this one.
Rodgers....when healthy of course...we all know this one.
Stafford...started right away
Wilson...Wasn't the intended starter (Matt Flynn) but won it before the regular season started.

Reaction score
What was the second name? Just wondering because there was a new guy posting early in the season that sounded familiar in a lot of ways.
I think I know. His 2nd name was “deleted member”
Which in and by itself sounds very painful. Don’t get to a point they have to delete your member :eek:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indeed. Majik was magic and that was the belief at the time. But he got crunched 3 seasons in a row. The Pack soon found out Favre was the Iron Man. But also note that Favre was not the only QB in 92 competing to play behind Majik.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would constantly refer to Love's senior year at Utah State (when the entire team was a mess) as proof that he was a bad pick but would never acknowledge his outstanding junior year as significant at all.
Well, what have you done for me lately, I guess.

It seems like a pretty good formula for success, provided you get the right guy.
Or maybe it's right guys. Both the drafted player and the guy he's watching.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
To an extent even when some argue you don't it helps...it is actually a factor many don't like to discuss because everyone likes to talk about the high elite rookie QBs inside the lens of starting right away.

The top QBs in the league right now arguably are Mahomes, Lamar, Allen, Dak, Purdy, Tua, Herbert...

Mahomes....sat behind Alex Smith a whole year
Lamar...Joe Flacco was starter until his injury about half way through Jackson's first season
Allen...one of the few on the list to start right away.
Dak...Never intended to be the starter, had Romo all through camp and everything and then injury.
Purdy...Same as above but more of the season sat behind Jimmy G till injury.
Tua...Ryan Fitzpatrick was starter for a while with Tua behind him.
Herbert...Tyrod Taylor was the starter and played well week 1, but his injury then opened door and Herbert took it and ran with it. Again no pressure of being starter right away.

Others showing out well...

Love....well we all know this one.
Rodgers....when healthy of course...we all know this one.
Stafford...started right away
Wilson...Wasn't the intended starter (Matt Flynn) but won it before the regular season started.
Several of those were buoyed by strong defenses early in their careers. I remember Dak taking quite a few years to become really good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair to Capt - and he and I had our bouts - he also was Austrian and I still believe communication was tough in the translation at times too.
I've posted my reasons and would gladly answer any questions.

Some posters ( bill and Jay) believed I used my mod muscle..

I dealt with Capt for over 10 years ??? If I wanted to flex mod muscle,it would happened long time ago. Hell, 50 percent of posters since 2007?? Would be banned if I wanted to use my mod muscle

When I don't and can't get along with a poster I ignore them and let poppa and others handle so my biased isn't an issUe..but I have an ego according to some..

I said since I banned Capt I was changing and acting like posters and being disrespectful and the like...I guess others hate that

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've posted my reasons and would gladly answer any questions.

Some posters ( bill and Jay) believed I used my mod muscle..

I dealt with Capt for over 10 years ??? If I wanted to flex mod muscle,it would happened long time ago. Hell, 50 percent of posters since 2007?? Would be banned if I wanted to use my mod muscle

When I don't and can't get along with a poster I ignore them and let poppa and others handle so my biased isn't an issUe..but I have an ego according to some..

I said since I banned Capt I was changing and acting like posters and being disrespectful and the like...I guess others hate that

Nah you’re good, Capt had issues with too much and truthfully was not cut out for a forum at all…I just wanted to be fair cuz there were times I think where he was from was an issue….like you said though, track record was bigger factor.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It won't be long before this thread is titled "The Jordan Love Era Ends." Love can join the likes of Scott Hunter, David Whitehurst, and Randy Wright. Of course those guys were drafted in the 6th or 8th round...
And? Why haven't you posted since?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah you’re good, Capt had issues with too much and truthfully was not cut out for a forum at all…I just wanted to be fair cuz there were times I think where he was from was an issue….like you said though, track record was bigger factor.
This is coming from the perspective of a 20 year psych nurse but I think he may have Asperger's. He always had an insistence of trying to explain everything through stats and numbers but he never seemed to have any appreciation for the more abstract facets and intangibles of the game and would summarily dismiss them as irrelevant. That along with his seeming inability to relate to people and understand sarcasm, friendly banter, and other subtle cues are pretty typical for a lot of people with Asperger's. Not that it really matters anymore.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several of those were buoyed by strong defenses early in their careers. I remember Dak taking quite a few years to become really good.
Lamb has made him look better than he is. How good do you think he'd be with a bunch of rookies and a couple second year guys, one of whom only played half the season?