The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of development to go. Just scratching the surface right now. Hopefully, the experience of the coaching staff will expedite the progress.

I actually disagree to a point, the decision on whether Love is going to be getting an extension I think is about 70% done already. Either way, I foresee an aggressive 2024 draft happening because say even if Love fails in 2024, doesn't get an extension...Gute and company would still be sitting on some fine trade pieces if things progress to build 2025 draft capital...it'd really be his only way to, as he has built up the 2024 draft equity account tremendously.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's playing well and seeing the defense much better. He's also moving better in and outside the pocket. He still is short arming his deep ball. If he could get that figured out then he will move from middling to above average. Very nice progression from Love. Let's see how he handles the Chiefs defense.
Execute the 8-10 yard sideline and post patterns. Do not be taking shots left and right down the field. Keeping Mahommes of the field so our defense has something left in the tank is important.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually disagree to a point, the decision on whether Love is going to be getting an extension I think is about 70% done already. Either way, I foresee an aggressive 2024 draft happening because say even if Love fails in 2024, doesn't get an extension...Gute and company would still be sitting on some fine trade pieces if things progress to build 2025 draft capital...it'd really be his only way to, as he has built up the 2024 draft equity account tremendously.
Aggregating 5 picks on days 1 and 2 was well done by Gluten. The 3rd round pick for Douglas in particular was great value. That's some very solid draft capital with one big "if". And that is this - the draft capital in 2024 is valuable "if" Gluten can put together multiple solid picks - meaning guys who will produce in the NFL. IMO his record in this regard is spotty.

I'm not convinced this is entirely Gluten's fault, or that he is any better or worse than previous Packer GMs or any GM. Beyond the first round, it's difficult to find NFL-level talent. And even the first round is no guarantee. Just ask the Jets for some recent feedback on that.

Ironically, the picks themselves are more valuable on the trade market than the players who will end up getting picked.

As for Love, if he continues to show improvement, as he has done over the last 3 or 4 games, then it's almost certain he'll get extended in 2024. The earlier the extension, the less it will cost. There is some risk there. Love can help the team and himself with stellar play over the next 6 games, and a playoff spot would be icing on the cake.

I'd still prefer to see how he performs in 2024. But if he takes off, then the price tag goes way up so waiting isn't an option. Personally, if he can perform like a franchise QB, the price is worth it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have to necessarily stack wins and get into the Playoffs but if Jordan keeps doing what he's been doing of late, I strongly bet all that draft equity (five in top 100 picks) are going to turn into two Day1 prospects coming to us....Gute and Co know starting the rookie clocks sooner rather than later if they believe Love to be the QB beyond 2024 is crucial....

You heard it here first.
So what you are saying is they will not repeat the mistakes they made in the 2020 draft?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, although I think no matter what happens in these last 6 games...its gonna be a repeat of the 2009 draft. They get an impact guy top 15 ish and then trade back into the late first to get another impact player.

Rodgers would have exactly 0 SB wins without BJ Raji and Clay Matthews. A similar haul for Love in next years draft could very likely propel him to a SB win as well
So do you believe if they drafted 2 impact guys in 2020 their shot at a SB would have improved?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aggregating 5 picks on days 1 and 2 was well done by Gluten. The 3rd round pick for Douglas in particular was great value. That's some very solid draft capital with one big "if". And that is this - the draft capital in 2024 is valuable "if" Gluten can put together multiple solid picks - meaning guys who will produce in the NFL. IMO his record in this regard is spotty.

I'm not convinced this is entirely Gluten's fault, or that he is any better or worse than previous Packer GMs or any GM. Beyond the first round, it's difficult to find NFL-level talent. And even the first round is no guarantee. Just ask the Jets for some recent feedback on that.

Ironically, the picks themselves are more valuable on the trade market than the players who will end up getting picked.

As for Love, if he continues to show improvement, as he has done over the last 3 or 4 games, then it's almost certain he'll get extended in 2024. The earlier the extension, the less it will cost. There is some risk there. Love can help the team and himself with stellar play over the next 6 games, and a playoff spot would be icing on the cake.

I'd still prefer to see how he performs in 2024. But if he takes off, then the price tag goes way up so waiting isn't an option. Personally, if he can perform like a franchise QB, the price is worth it.
If they truly will be SB contenders next year I do not think they will get a better player than Douglass with that 3rd round pick. For the long haul, yes, not for next year. IMO.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd have to elaborate on that more for me to understand what you mean by mistakes?
You expect them to take 2 impact players in the draft. I am assuming you mean immediate impact. If my assumption is wrong I apologize and this is a moot point. Their 1st 2 picks in 2020 did not nor were expected to make an immediate impact. IMO that was a mistake.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You expect them to take 2 impact players in the draft. I am assuming you mean immediate impact. If my assumption is wrong I apologize and this is a moot point. Their 1st 2 picks in 2020 did not nor were expected to make an immediate impact. IMO that was a mistake.

In my scenario they draft two first rounders...I think the hope is always with Day1 picks depending on position you're looking at Day1 type influence. My positional list that if picking on Day1 I expect year 1 starting level play:

Corners
Safeties
OL
TE
LB

Positions I expect minimal rotational depth with some starts likely year 1 if drafted Day1:

Edge
iDL
RB
WR

*It changes each year, maybe more and maybe less but typically around 10 guys regardless of position I assume are year 1 starters...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In my scenario they draft two first rounders...I think the hope is always with Day1 picks depending on position you're looking at Day1 type influence. My positional list that if picking on Day1 I expect year 1 starting level play:

Corners
Safeties
OL
TE
LB

Positions I expect minimal rotational depth with some starts likely year 1 if drafted Day1:

Edge
iDL
RB
WR

*It changes each year, maybe more and maybe less but typically around 10 guys regardless of position I assume are year 1 starters...
Isn't this love thread?

Let's get back on track

Should go in the draft area??

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So do you believe if they drafted 2 impact guys in 2020 their shot at a SB would have improved?

Absolutely....but now theyll likely have 15 more years of chances with Love

At the time I certainly wasn't looking to take a Qb however when Love fell to me, late first in mocks I definitely took him a bunch and had a hard time passing on him the other times. His highlights in college were Aaron Rodgers in the Nfl good

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While some of it is luck, and some of it is where in the first round a player is taken, I usually expect a first round draft pick to be an impact player. An impact player is a first-year starter who excels at his position. That's very hard to do in the NFL, and it varies by position. FWIW. Others may use "impact player" to involve a player who can directly influence a game - so a QB, WR, TE, Edge, CB, S - usually, and unfairly, not an O or D lineman.

Reaction score
I’d say yes and no. First it’s a false assumption that we’d get 2 “impact” players as Rookies.
Because it’s a hard sell to say you’ll get 2 impact players in any draft. Especially what you’re going to get as far as immediate impact from Later Day 1 players and beyond. While it’s fine to say anyone is better than developing a QB (and that in a funnel is true) I think it’s a reach to say any other than maybe a top 5 overall at any position is going to tear it up immediately. Reed was a nice surprise, but is he “impact” over option at resigning a veteran?
Not year 1 imo.
I suppose you could draft the most starter ready player possible (high floor) but sacrifice long term ceiling in the process.
My answer does change a little as you get into that top 16 and especially widdling down to a top 5 overall athlete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh looks like Love always wins haha...I was kinda digging having a top 10 pick. But it would undoubtedly be better to have some playoff experience for this young team.

Its all sht teams from here on out

Packers 6-6

@ Giants 4-8
Bucs 5-7
@ Panthers 1-11
@ Vikings 6-6
Bears 4-8

Remaining Opponents combined record of 20-40

3-2 puts em at 9-8 likely 7th seed
4-1 puts em at 10-7 likely 6th seed
5-0 puts em at 11-6 possibly division champs/definite 6 seed possible 5 seed

Lions 9-3

@ Bears
Broncos
@ Vikings
@ Cowboys
Vikings

Cowboys 9-3

Eagles
@ Bills
@ Dolphins
Lions
@ Commanders

I like the Cowboys to lose 3 of their last 5 but the Lions certainly could as well. It probably comes down to who wins the head to head matchup. With the winner going 3-2 and the loser going 2-3 over the last 5

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He's playing well and seeing the defense much better. He's also moving better in and outside the pocket. He still is short arming his deep ball. If he could get that figured out then he will move from middling to above average. Very nice progression from Love. Let's see how he handles the Chiefs defense.
I'm really curious to your take? Not the game.. But JL performance

Reaction score
I wonder what the excuses for the Packers winning will be this week.

I’m really proud of Jordan. The truth is Jordan does have room to grow. That’s actually the beauty of it, he’s not even hitting on all cylinders. Yet he’s already turning heads.

Jordan is now pacing

4,060 yards
31 TD
14 INT
61.3% Comp

Last 5 games
9TD
3 INT
1,336 passing
64.8% Completion %

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh oh looks like Love always wins haha...I was kinda digging having a top 10 pick. But it would undoubtedly be better to have some playoff experience for this young team.

Its all sht teams from here on out

Packers 6-6

@ Giants 4-8
Bucs 5-7
@ Panthers 1-11
@ Vikings 6-6
Bears 4-8

Remaining Opponents combined record of 20-40

3-2 puts em at 9-8 likely 7th seed
4-1 puts em at 10-7 likely 6th seed
5-0 puts em at 11-6 possibly division champs/definite 6 seed possible 5 seed

Lions 9-3

@ Bears
Broncos
@ Vikings
@ Cowboys
Vikings

Cowboys 9-3

Eagles
@ Bills
@ Dolphins
Lions
@ Commanders

I like the Cowboys to lose 3 of their last 5 but the Lions certainly could as well. It probably comes down to who wins the head to head matchup. With the winner going 3-2 and the loser going 2-3 over the last 5
And those are the teams that can be a nuisance. They have nothing to lose. No pressure. Like to play spoiler. And there can be a sense of relief and overconfidence once you got past KC and Detroit. So MLF has to push that sense of urgency.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm really curious to your take? Not the game.. But JL performance
Does it really even get any better? I'm ready to eat my words for sure. That toss he had to Watson in the back of the endzone was spectacular. Both the catch and the throw were outstanding. I mean, 25/36 for 267 and 3 TDs. No fumbles and no interceptions. Not even a solid game managing performance. That was a go get win and make plays performance. I'm really baffled at the turnaround. Baffled in a good way. A couple of the deep balls could have been a bit better, but the WRs made plays and they get paid too. That's about the only thing I would say. Other than that, Jordan Love is cooking! GPG!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much, @Krabs is the ONLY guy willing to admit he may have been wrong or at minimum way too premature on how he jumped on Love.

Forever respect

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it really even get any better? I'm ready to eat my words for sure. That toss he had to Watson in the back of the endzone was spectacular. Both the catch and the throw were outstanding. I mean, 25/36 for 267 and 3 TDs. No fumbles and no interceptions. Not even a solid game managing performance. That was a go get win and make plays performance. I'm really baffled at the turnaround. Baffled in a good way. A couple of the deep balls could have been a bit better, but the WRs made plays and they get paid too. That's about the only thing I would say. Other than that, Jordan Love is cooking! GPG!
Ty sir

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Beating Detroit and KC in consecutive games, both on national television. JLove is more than ready for his close-up Mr. DeMille.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts