Packers vs Browns Pre Season Game thread

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not enough imho. Yes, he'll get some first downs but he is not a very good RB. He gets stopped way more often than he should. Especially when he has his dancing shoes on.
And the thing is he could be a tremendous back. He’s got the size and strength to be a power runner. But, like you said, he wants to dance around in the backfield way too often.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dillon BLOWS and is still gonna get almost a 50/50 workload with Jacobs lafluer loves him they will do the same thing that they did with jones. I honestly don’t get it. Nobody wanted him in FA there is a reason he gets stonewalled at the line of scrimmage he is soft.
He had offers. Choose to stay here

Reaction score
I didn't see most of the game. What was special about Wilson? Thanks.
They gave him ample opportunity to showcase. Plus a nice KR. He had 1 he bobbled in the Endzone but showed good understanding of stopping just inside the paint to advance it to the 30 under that new rule. Thats a big benefit if we start from the 30 and he also ran 1 back like 30 yards.

He mostly got those 2-4 yarders but every so often would pop a 8 or 10 yarder for a 1st. He had 1 good end around for 20+ Good explosion when there’s a seam. He also scored a TD on our 3rd Drive? 5+ per carry against a good D led Devin Bush who’s a heat seeking missile

If Emmanuel earns a spot he has to contribute on teams. I see potential as a Returner. He had + day I’d call it. Nothing spectacular just consistently good. Netted 2-30 yard KR, 5+ per carry against an otherwise stingy D; 1TD and 1-20+. Recall he finished strong against SF, hurdling a would be tackler, so we already know he’s not immune to doing this against a good D.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to see him show some of the potential most of thought he had.
Yep. I still think he’s underutilized in the short passing game. He's almost a short TE. Near Elite hands, +blocker.
Imo and I’ll say it again, design plays to get him in space, he’s harder to tackle in the open field. He tumbles over tacklers (because they NEVER go high). he’ll get 2-3 yards after contact once he has momentum. Conversely, he appears to Have a hard time producing momentum. Which is why I say fake handoff and let the D overpursue. The D was just waiting for Dillon it was basically advertised. Let them hit him on short passes.

This said. I do believe we are going vanilla. I have confidence they will add more spice to the play design. Plus once he’s behind Tom, Morgan, Jenkins I think he won’t be tripped -2 behind LOS. I think Morgan is going to be an upgrade at RG yesterday. Just my opinion there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not enough imho. Yes, he'll get some first downs but he is not a very good RB. He gets stopped way more often than he should. Especially when he has his dancing shoes on.
I agree with most of what you guys are saying about Dillon, although I wouldn't call him "soft."

He supposedly remade his body in the offseason to be more nimble and be able to juke a bit. I didn't see that yesterday. He looked the same as last year - take the handoff, plow straight ahead and hope he can find a crease or run through someone. Just not a good strategy. Even the perpetually overweight Eddy Lacy could bounce outside.

Dillon is a good blocker and receiver, but if he can't run, which is the first job of a RB, he won't make the team.

Too bad really. I like him and he's good with the community.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They gave him ample opportunity to showcase. Plus a nice KR. He had 1 he bobbled in the Endzone but showed good understanding of stopping just inside the paint to advance it to the 30 under that new rule. Thats a big benefit if we start from the 30 and he also ran 1 back like 30 yards.

He mostly got those 2-4 yarders but every so often would pop a 8 or 10 yarder for a 1st. He had 1 good end around for 20+ Good explosion when there’s a seam. He also scored a TD on our 3rd Drive? 5+ per carry against a good D led Devin Bush who’s a heat seeking missile

If Emmanuel earns a spot he has to contribute on teams. I see potential as a Returner. He had + day I’d call it. Nothing spectacular just consistently good. Netted 2-30 yard KR, 5+ per carry against an otherwise stingy D; 1TD and 1-20+. Recall he finished strong against SF, hurdling a would be tackler, so we already know he’s not immune to doing this against a good D.
Thanks OS. I'm still not sold on the guy. I hope Lloyd plays up to his potential and improves in ball security. As for Wilson, I didn't see anything from him last year to suggest he has much upside.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon..maybe it's time to cut the cord. Could be 2nd string oline not blocking well..but sure looks like same old Dillon.
Looks like he is in better shape. O line did not block for him at all. Plays were vanilla. Do not cut the cord yet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question about Dillon is if he can move the pile a yard to pick up those tough 3rd snd 1 situations? I'm just not seeing it. He goes down too easy at the LOS and doesn't run through contact very well. They drafted him to be that type of move the chains guy and he's mostly disappointed.

Reaction score
The question about Dillon is if he can move the pile a yard to pick up those tough 3rd snd 1 situations? I'm just not seeing it. He goes down too easy at the LOS and doesn't run through contact very well. They drafted him to be that type of move the chains guy and he's mostly disappointed.
I’m no expert. Yet several times AJ would hit a Defender standing up. When you need a yard you need to lower your pads and keep your feet churning. No reason a LB weighing 10-15lbs less should stands AJ up and drive him back unless his pads are too high.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m no expert. Yet several times AJ would hit a Defender standing up. When you need a yard you need to lower your pads and keep your feet churning. No reason a LB weighing 10-15lbs less should stands AJ up and drive him back unless his pads are too high.
Pad level! It's all about the pad level! Where is Mike McCarthy? He must have a hand in this.

Reaction score
Stokes did a nice job in run support meeting their RB -2 at the 40 yard line. That resulted in a TFL for Van Ness, but #21 was key to blowing up that 2nd down

Attachments

• IMG_0272.png
    IMG_0272.png
    470.3 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Pad level! It's all about the pad level! Where is Mike McCarthy? He must have a hand in this.
It’s not just McCarthy. Jon Gruden once scolded Max Crosby for that also. Yes. He was told to use his Max Pad level when down low.;)

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the very first play. It was a nice hole on the R side. Think it was the guard but I don't know who started or who else on the O line was involved.
Great pass by Love to Wicks.
The obvious. Wilson over Dillon.
Not as obvious but I say Pratt over Clifford. Like his release and the way he sees the field.
Joseph over the Swede.
McDuffie looks fast to the tackle.
Big year coming up for VanNess?
Did Dillon have the same OL as Wilson? I couldn't tell if it was Dillon or the OL.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the game this morning. The Cleveland broadcast - how annoying!

Add to some of the comments:

Pratt looked like he can play. Like his poise, his quick passes, and most of his decisions. Clifford just seems too proactive. Needs to take what the defense gives you, be a little more patient, throw with more touch (too ******* some throws) and not force plays. As I type this I think I figured it out: he never throws guys open. Always seems a dart to the guy.

Bo Melton had a bad day. Dropped 2 he should have caught and a fumble.

OLine really needs Tom. 2nd stringers did not impress.

Dillion had nothing to work with. His game is smashing through small holes in the interior - not COD to the outside. There was no even a slight crease. He didn't distinguish himself, but we need to see more before cutting him. Hopefully Tom plays some in the preseason.
Hope Dillion has better game against The Broncos.
His time with us is rapidly closing.

He's a great guy I hope he can turn it around.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
What I texted a friend

I was hoping he could have gotten it a little closer, I kind of wanted to see that newfangled GPS ball spotting technology.

The OL could have been a bit better but three straight plays and needing 2 and not getting it is not a good look. Thankfully its pre-season and not in a critical goal line situation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping he could have gotten it a little closer, I kind of wanted to see that newfangled GPS ball spotting technology.

The OL could have been a bit better but three straight plays and needing 2 and not getting it is not a good look. Thankfully its pre-season and not in a critical goal line situation.
He looks Like a guy that needs a hole to bust thru and can’t make anyone miss

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope Dillion has better game against The Broncos.
His time with us is rapidly closing.

He's a great guy I hope he can turn it around.
Yeah. Never met him but he seems like a great person. Personally, I am really hoping he starts producing better, whatever the reasons might be.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Dillon have the same OL as Wilson? I couldn't tell if it was Dillon or the OL.
I'd say a little of both. And I disagree with Hey Joe about Wilson not showing anything last year. He showed me potential and didn't have many chances. I think he'll help out some this year. I mean, he isn't our number 1 back. The difference I saw yesterday was Wilson moving off the spot a little when there wasn't anything there. Looking for a little crease and diagnosing it quickly. He also looks to me like he has more speed and more juke than Dillon. He can also catch the ball. Reminds me a bit of Levins. Though Levins was an exceptional back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
In my rewatch I watched his four runs closely....contact allowed in the backfield nearly every time. My football IQ refuses to state so blindly this is a Dillon issue solely just yet. Not saying it isn't but dear lord the man wasn't barely allowed a step or two after handoff before being touched.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say a little of both. And I disagree with Hey Joe about Wilson not showing anything last year. He showed me potential and didn't have many chances. I think he'll help out some this year. I mean, he isn't our number 1 back. The difference I saw yesterday was Wilson moving off the spot a little when there wasn't anything there. Looking for a little crease and diagnosing it quickly. He also looks to me like he has more speed and more juke than Dillon. He can also catch the ball. Reminds me a bit of Levins. Though Levins was an exceptional back.
I hope Wilson does well. And maybe he did play well last year and I wasn't paying enough attention. I just don't recall him standing out as a sub for Jones. He didn't seem to get many chances, and that's probably why I didn't see him stand out in a game. Anyway, I'm still waiting to see him break out.

But the way Dillon played Saturday, yeah it's just one PS game, it will be Jacobs, Wilson, and Lloyd on the 53. Or Jacobs and some combination of RBs that doesn't include Dillon.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His second and third runs truthfully were blocked so poorly I'm shocked they were losses of yards.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In my rewatch I watched his four runs closely....contact allowed in the backfield nearly every time. My football IQ refuses to state so blindly this is a Dillon issue solely just yet. Not saying it isn't but dear lord the man wasn't barely allowed a step or two after handoff before being touched.
I agree , but he is suppose to bring the power .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts