Packers vs Broncos Pre Season Game #2 Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In the past yes, they had to be on the final 53 to be put on IR and be eligible to return. There is a new rule this season. Teams can put 2 players on IR on the cutdown day and they do not count against the 53 man roster. Those players are eligible to come back after 4 weeks
Thanks for the information.

I really like that rule. I always thought the old rule was a joke. The NFL seems to be more concerned about teams "stashing" players, than they are with teams maintaining a competitive roster. I still would be in favor of a 60 man roster.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I need to ask people here, what do you see in him that I must be missing? Seems like every year we have guys just like him at both RB and WR. If they know the playbook and can jump right in, that is their biggest asset. Otherwise, they don't have a lot of value to other teams.

Most teams have those players, so I'm also not worried about potentially losing Wilson. He's fine and I agree unlikely to be picked up on waivers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really like that rule. I always thought the old rule was a joke. The NFL seems to be more concerned about teams "stashing" players, than they are with teams maintaining a competitive roster. I still would be in favor of a 60 man roster.
From what I could gather its not only IR. They could put them on the PUP or NFI list as well depending on the amount of time they thought they needed. IR 4 weeks, PUP 6 weeks, NFI I don't know if there is a limit.

I think you are going to see more and more rules like this as the league pushes for an 18 game season.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't like how they said Lombardi had three NFL championships, and he won the first two Super Bowls. No, he won five NFL championships, including the first two Super Bowls.
They are AFC so probably alot to do with that maybe.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't wish to overreact to one bad preseason game, but I think GB still needs a kicker and a back-up QB.

When other teams start cutting guys, I'd be looking for those two things.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Very much looking forward to finally seeing a preseason game with Packer announcers next Saturday.
Kevin Harlan is decent. He pointed out that in regular season games the Packers scored only 2 points twice, both in the 30's. Won one and lost one, both times the Bears. He also pointed out the defense was running at most half a dozen formations to simplify the game plan.
and in spite of no starters playing,
At least one starting safety played. Both safety draft picks played most of the first half. One of the two should be a starter.
50 of the 53 roster spots are already locked up or at least 95% locked up.
Andy Hermann says there are about 24 players vying for about 8 slots after you eliminate the "not a chance" (14) and locks (38) and most likely (13.) This includes both kickers, 4th RB, 5-8th WR, and 3rd TE type players.
the OL seemed to be hot and cold all night, mostly cold.
Looked to me like they were shuffling the deck quite a bit to see if someone shined. Also early on it looked like a lot of run calls to get film on run blocking since they probably don't hit much in practice.

I am more concerned after learning the starting offense was easily handled in the joint practices too. Might be something to the theory that MLF doesn't have a good travel routine figured out.
The safer pick is to find a backup, vested vet that loves to play for you and won't hit you with some dead cap if you cut him. He's not subjected to waivers, so you let him know "this is just a game to get Lloyd to IR, we're bringing you back in 2 days," and then you do so. Much less risk. Of course, as you as we are, I'm not sure we have anyone on the roster who meets that criteria.
I recall vested means after 4 years. If so then with minimal or no cap hit Dillon, Ballantine, Eric Wilson, Dillard all fit the bill.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall vested means after 4 years. If so then with minimal or no cap hit Dillon, Ballantine, Eric Wilson, Dillard all fit the bill.
Dillion I don’t think can be cut and preserve the cap benefit they got for him. Ballantine is a CB with a pulse and has started. I suspect he’d be poached with a not insignificant offer. Not megabucks, but enough that we might lose him.

Dillard is goofy. Either he’s good enough to be your swing tackle and you don’t risk him or he isn’t going to make the 53 and he doesn’t factor in.

Eric Wilson is probably the best candidate, he’s probably the fifth linebacker (not necessarily on the depth chart) after Quay, McDuffie, and the rookies. And if some one offers him too much money (unlikely but always possible) you’d be fine without him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Dillon being kept out of the game pretty much means he's a lock to make the roster. A lot of sides talking about keeping just three backs, I say keep four . Jacobs, Dillon , Lloyd and Wilson.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that eventually Hopper is going to end up being a long-term starter for us

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Dillon being kept out of the game pretty much means he's a lock to make the roster. A lot of sides talking about keeping just three backs, I say keep four . Jacobs, Dillon , Lloyd and Wilson.
And give up what other position? TE4, OL10, DL8, QB3?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.
That said I really can see a scenario where if Pratt was behind a A team OL I don’t think the game would be too big for him. Especially once he gets a few games under his belt. Overall he looked pretty accurate and good arm strength, ran the Offense efficiently.

I know I'm going to get laughed at, but by the 4th quarter, there were moments I couldn't help thinking of Brock Purdey. I know, I know... way too early to directly make such comparisons, but I do remember that being mentioned in a few places during the run-up to the draft.

At any rate, the kid really does impress me. He's got a lot of positives on his side.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And give up what other position? TE4, OL10, DL8, QB3?
It all depends on Lloyd's hammy. If he is good to go I'm fine with trying to sneak Wilson onto the PS. If not go the IR route and keep Wilson or nobody is snapping up Clifford. Put him on the Practice squad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past yes, they had to be on the final 53 to be put on IR and be eligible to return. There is a new rule this season. Teams can put 2 players on IR on the cutdown day and they do not count against the 53 man roster. Those players are eligible to come back after 4 weeks
Thanks for clarifying sschind. Didn't know that was a new rule. Makes sense too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Hopper looked really good. He diagnosed the plays and as soon as the RB had the ball; he jumped to the inside of 2nd level blockers to be able to get in on the play. He also hit hard. He sure looks like a keeper to me and I think will play some this year. I hope he is big enough for the pounding he gives and takes. He is strong enough.
It's gonna be a very different and improved backfield with Walker, Cooper, and Hopper. That should be fun. Question is, who wears the green dot? Maybe McKinney.

Reaction score

I really think it’s going that direction. Safety protocols are fine, but it’s affecting # net players who miss the cut. I’d bump it to something like 60, I was thinking 2 players per phase O,D,ST also.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying sschind. Didn't know that was a new rule. Makes sense too.
I didn't know about it either. I wanted to make sure I knew the rules regarding cutdowns, the final 53 and the IR and such before I made a post so I looked it up and lo and behold there it was. I was under the assumption it was still the same as last season. It was made a while ago because I think one discussion I saw had replies from 5 months ago. I think it was overshadowed by the new kick off rule which got all the attention this offseason.

There must be one other rule change that only Bears fans and the national media know about. Apparently it is now illegal to use any sort of caution or discretion when discussing the potential of the Bears new QB. All reports must be 100% positive with nothing short of a deep playoff run or Super Bowl victory being the result. This rule was hastily approved by the rule committee after he had a pretty good half of a half in the second preseason game after a not too bad showing in the first preseason game.

Reaction score
I didn't know about it either. I wanted to make sure I knew the rules regarding cutdowns, the final 53 and the IR and such before I made a post so I looked it up and lo and behold there it was. I was under the assumption it was still the same as last season. It was made a while ago because I think one discussion I saw had replies from 5 months ago. I think it was overshadowed by the new kick off rule which got all the attention this offseason.

There must be one other rule change that only Bears fans and the national media know about. Apparently it is now illegal to use any sort of caution or discretion when discussing the potential of the Bears new QB. All reports must be 100% positive with nothing short of a deep playoff run or Super Bowl victory being the result. This rule was hastily approved by the rule committee after he had a pretty good half of a half in the second preseason game after a not too bad showing in the first preseason game.
That’s a shame I was watching Sullivan’s breakdown on Caleb yesterday and wow did he have several throws that were nowhere near a Receiver. Not to mention missing a Wide open 30 yarder for a TD. Too indecisive at this speed of the game. The pass rush at the NFL level is just fast. Caleb will learn, but that doesn’t get fixed in a week imo. Hes going to need a year at minimum and I’m not sure Chicago can rely on their D to carry them. They finished behind us last year.

Our depth will get worked out. I think the bulk of players in this contest won’t even make the Roster. I saw plenty of what I’d call 3’s out there. Names I’m not familiar with. Imo our top end depth becomes normalized. The Hoppers and Monks and Lloyd’s and Oladapos and Williams and Heaths are fine. I am mildly concerned at K and QB depth earlier in this season I’m not going to lie

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All good stuff. Yeah only the Bears would require a rule committee action the equivalent of a restraining order.

The way I see it, along with Williams the Bears have a TON of talent. There is no room for excuses. I still think it takes at least one season for them to play as a real team. And if something bad is going to happen to a sports team, it will be a Chicago team. I'm not putting any money on them until they actually break from 30 years of miserable football. Double doink says it all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a shame I was watching Sullivan’s breakdown on Caleb yesterday and wow did he have several throws that were nowhere near a Receiver. Not to mention missing a Wide open 30 yarder for a TD. Too indecisive at this speed of the game. The pass rush at the NFL level is just fast. Caleb will learn, but that doesn’t get fixed in a week imo. Hes going to need a year at minimum and I’m not sure Chicago can rely on their D to carry them. They finished behind us last year.

Our depth will get worked out. I think the bulk of players in this contest won’t even make the Roster. I saw plenty of what I’d call 3’s out there. Names I’m not familiar with. Imo our top end depth becomes normalized. The Hoppers and Monks and Lloyd’s and Oladapos and Williams and Heaths are fine. I am mildly concerned at K and QB depth earlier in this season I’m not going to lie
K is my biggest concern, but I don't see that changing this season.

I'm not as concerned about backup QB. Clifford did well last year, and that doesn't go away with one PS game playing with a bunch of 2d and 3d-string players. So Clifford will be #2 and Pratt #3. Just didn't get to see enough of Pratt to make a decision, so have to go on pedigree and pre-draft analysis. Not a big deal as long as Love stays healthy. Same as it ever was......

Reaction score
Yep, if we get injuries in the starting line-up, (and we will), and tonight's players were our backup,
this season will be over fast.

We don't have any depth on this team even though it's preseason.

And if Jordon Love's o-line has to replace some players because of injuries, those opposing d-lines
will be licking their chops to put Love on his back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, if we get injuries in the starting line-up, (and we will), and tonight's players were our backup,
this season will be over fast.

We don't have any depth on this team even though it's preseason.

And if Jordon Love's o-line has to replace some players because of injuries, those opposing d-lines
will be licking their chops to put Love on his back.
Yeah I mean one lousy PS game isn't enough to assess a team, or its backups. But damn those guys were uninspired - and I'm being kind.

And I don't get it. 2d and certainly 3d string players must know they're competing for a job. Only Hopper looked like he cared.

Again, it's too soon to make a call on the quality of the backups. Nothing I saw Sunday night inspired much confidence though. I'm still really interested in this team and this season. Should be fun to watch and fingers crossed that the injury bug doesn't bite too hard........

Reaction score
My guess is we might be better on D depth than what might be contemplating. Now O depth is a little shaky. OT our primary ?

On Defense we probably only had a few True #2’s out there. Williams, Hopper, Cox, Van Ness, Wooden, Anthony Johnson etc. those were the guys that actually played ok (except Johnson Jr got burned a few times). It was our 3’s that looked awful. 10 points of that game I don’t even consider because it was Denver 1’s against our mix of 2’s and 3’s until 2nd possession of QTr2. Once our D started at our own 13? and a second time on the wrong end of the field. It was a poor showing by our #2 Offense though. 3/13 on 3rd down. 0-3 on 4th down. That means we were 3/16 on 3rd and 4th down which is horrendous.
Our D overall played ok. Our O kept turning the ball over with a fumble and INT and multiple Turnovers on Downs. That backed our D up regularly. Then in between we’d just sputter. Terrible showing by the Offense.

On D we had 26 players make tackles which is normal in Preseason if your starters play a few series. Not 1 starter played. I think I saw Matt LaFleur and Rich make a Tackle!
I think Hopper, Cox, Olodapo (once he’s healthy) Evan Williams, Wooden, Ford, Valentine, Edgerrin etc. will all be fine. To the point I’d be highly surprised if we don’t finish top 10 in D scoring.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is we might be better on D depth than what might be contemplating. Now O depth is a little shaky. OT our primary ?

On Defense we probably only had a few True #2’s out there. Williams, Hopper, Cox, Van Ness, Wooden, Anthony Johnson etc. those were the guys that actually played ok (except Johnson Jr got burned a few times). It was our 3’s that looked awful. 10 points of that game I don’t even consider because it was Denver 1’s against our mix of 2’s and 3’s until 2nd possession of QTr2. Once our D started at our own 13? and a second time on the wrong end of the field. It was a poor showing by our #2 Offense though. 3/13 on 3rd down. 0-3 on 4th down. That means we were 3/16 on 3rd and 4th down which is horrendous.
Our D overall played ok. Our O kept turning the ball over with a fumble and INT and multiple Turnovers on Downs. That backed our D up regularly. Then in between we’d just sputter. Terrible showing by the Offense. We had 26 players make tackles. Keep in mind no starters played.

I think Hopper, Cox, Olodapo (once he’s healthy) Evan Williams, Wooden, Ford, Valentine, Edgerrin etc. will all be fine. To the point I’d be highly surprised if we don’t finish top 10 in D scoring.
Yep, just one game, if you even wanna call it that. Seems like the rookies overall are performing well. I like S Williams and LB Hopper. Wooden should keep improving along with Brooks. D should certainly be much better than recent years. That's what I'll be looking for early on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts