Packers vs Browns Pre Season Game thread

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see the game, but at this point I'd take Wilson over Dillon. Which is disappointing. Dillon's never lived up to his expectations, unfortunately.

Did Aaron Jones play any? Oh, wait...

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Lukas Van Ness had 3 tackles, all for a loss, with one sack. Should have been 4 for 4, with 2 sacks, but the QB kept his balance after the hit, allowing Wooden to close quickly and get the sack. Gary, LVN, Preston and Enagbare should be quite a force and rotation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the very first play. It was a nice hole on the R side. Think it was the guard but I don't know who started or who else on the O line was involved.
Great pass by Love to Wicks.
The obvious. Wilson over Dillon.
Not as obvious but I say Pratt over Clifford. Like his release and the way he sees the field.
Joseph over the Swede.
McDuffie looks fast to the tackle.
Big year coming up for VanNess?

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the very first play. It was a nice hole on the R side. Think it was the guard but I don't know who started or who else on the O line was involved.
Great pass by Love to Wicks.
The obvious. Wilson over Dillon.
Not as obvious but I say Pratt over Clifford. Like his release and the way he sees the field.
Joseph over the Swede.
McDuffie looks fast to the tackle.
Big year coming up for VanNess?
I think this goes without saying but LVN could be a monster this year. Some reps were against back up’s but against starters he looked great. I like that Hafley is gonna let him just put a hand in the dirt and get after the quarterback. The front 4 looks like it is going to be pretty solid all around. He called a fair amount of 5 man pressure tonight which might also help free up Van Ness.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rhyan start at RG. Went to center with the 2nd string for the rest of the half. After the second drive when Dillon sat down, Rhyan seemed to settle in and holes opened up in the middle.
Clifford seems a lot like Matt Flynn. May win a few games on ability but as a long term starter??? Probably destined as a career back up. If he starts and plays 16 career games you can add them together and he might be good enough to set Bears franchise season passing records.
As others stated, I'm not sure why Dillon never has any holes to run through. He don't see them, or wait for them to develop, or the OL don't like him year after year.
Why did VanNess play the entire first half? Someone PO'd the line coach or something?
Far too many missed tackles. Hate making the play but not finishing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't see the game, but at this point I'd take Wilson over Dillon. Which is disappointing. Dillon's never lived up to his expectations, unfortunately.

Did Aaron Jones play any? Oh, wait...

There was a set early in the game where it was short yardage needed for a 1st. They ran Dillion 3 straight times and he failed to get 2 yards for the first and it became a turnover on downs.

After that I dont recall him getting the ball much.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a set early in the game where it was short yardage needed for a 1st. They ran Dillion 3 straight times and he failed to get 2 yards for the first and it became a turnover on downs.

Would rather see Wilson & Lloyd get the snaps, anyway. I think Dillon is the '20's version of Eddie Lacy... temporary success, never built upon it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What the heck happened to Dillon? He would literally stop mid play like he was waiting on a cutback. He needed 1 Yard! John Kuhn would’ve got the 1st. Dillon played very timid imo.

Was I the only one that noticed Carlson’s FG/XP we’re regularly just a foot from missing? His accuracy has something to be desired especially on XP. Those should split the uprights from inside 40

Reaction score
On a good note, the D looked good. Notably more assertive. Van Ness is obviously a Starter he played like a man among boys. He’s going to keep getting better. Wyatt looked good and actually should’ve gotten a Sack. I think Evan Williams will be a +
starter one day. Even Stokes was flying around.

Cleveland played back up QB’s but there QB room is good and we held them to just over 200 yards of Offense. Really sorta dominated them. I know it’s Preseason, but our bench is better than Cleveland’s.

IMO DuBose closed the gap between himself and Melton. If he stays consistent I think Heath and Toure might be in trouble

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive backfield sure got off to a slow start, but they picked up the pace. All in all, I was encouraged by the defense, especially considering how many young players were getting their very first look at "live game" conditions at the NFL level.

I have to admit, when the two teams came out and lined up for the opening kickoff, it was... really weird. This was the first time I've ever actually seen it, and I'd momentarily forgotten about that rule change. When they started to line up, my instinctive reaction was that both teams were each trying some bizarre, pre-season trick play. :laugh:

Then I turned the sound on, and everything was made clear.

It feels like he (Dilion's) been that way for a while now. For some reason he has some mystique amongst Packer fans. I just want him to get up the field and stop running laterally
Yeah, he's a popular guy with the fans - a hard guy not to like and hope for. Positive, friendly attitude, loves being a Packer.... fell in love with a local girl, married her, loves the area, wants to make it his home... everyones wants him to succeed.

It just doesn't look promising at this point in his career. He'll get a lot of snaps in the next 2 games, but he only has 2 weeks now until final cuts and he didn't move the dial forward very far tonight. He just doesn't seem able to find his own holes, like some players have the knack for.

Clifford seems a lot like Matt Flynn. May win a few games on ability but as a long term starter??? Probably destined as a career back up. If he starts and plays 16 career games you can add them together and he might be good enough to set Bears franchise season passing records.
:laugh:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that may have been his only series.

Yeah, he didn't exactly look like Barry Sanders, but in fairness, he never once saw a hole. All 4 of his carries, there was just a soild wall of 300 lb linemen from both teams right in front of him, 5 or 6 at a time, and there was no way around them. If he tried to bounce outside, on every one of those plays I think by the time he tried a new direction there wre linebackers sand/or safeties who would have gotten there before he did.

But at the same time, it seemed to me that on most (if not all) of those plays, he should or could have seen earlier on that there was not going to be a hole, and moved outside instead of trying to climb Sean Rhyan's back every single time. Lloyd and Wilson both did exactly that when they got their chances - the instant they took the ball, they saw the designed play was not gioig to work, and they both did a great job of improvising (especially Lloyd; he made a couple of extraordinarly moves in the 3rd quarter).

And by the way... isn't there some rule in the NFL that limits the number of players name Isiah Thomas a team can have on the field at the same time? Because every single time Dillon touched the ball, there were at leas 3 guys named Isiah Thomas pounding him face first into the turf. I've never seen so many Isiah Thomas' all in the same place at the same time in my whole life.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a good note, the D looked good. Notably more assertive. Van Ness is obviously a Starter he played like a man among boys. He’s going to keep getting better. Wyatt looked good and actually should’ve gotten a Sack. I think Evan Williams will be a +
starter one day. Even Stokes was flying around.

I was concenned early on, because the pass defense just looked bordeline clueless on the first series. The "get in your man's face, punch him at the line of scrimmage, impede his route, harass him and interfere evey single second" just weren't happening. It wasn't "Joe Barry" bad, but it didn't look like what we were told to expect.

By the second series, they were settling into a solid groove and were playing with confidence, and more aggressively. This was a big change from what we've been seeing the last several years, and I think they'll build on it and come out looking stronger dfrom Square One next week.

Cleveland played back up QB’s but there QB room is good and we held them to just over 200 yards of Offense. Really sorta dominated them. I know it’s Preseason, but our bench is better than Cleveland’s.

Yeah, we were clearly a better team all across the board. We pretty cleary outplayed a team who finished last season with a better record than our own, in probably the strongest division in the NFL. That's not a triivial accomplishment.

IMO DuBose closed the gap between himself and Melton. If he stays consistent I think Heath and Toure might be in trouble

Dubose really stepped out and announcd himself, didn't he? He's going to get a lot of looks nest week, because in a live game situation, he took took countrol and played the best game of any receiver on the field. He played a veteran's game - even drawing a penalty when he beat his man.

And nd while neither Heath nor Melton did anytghing to hurt themselves, Dubose did the most to elevate himself. Heath made a very good play on tha early 14-yard first down, and I don't remember what Melton did with his one receoption, but that's kind of the poiont - I sure remember a lot about Dubose and his 6 receptions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon..maybe it's time to cut the cord. Could be 2nd string oline not blocking well..but sure looks like same old Dillon.
I didn't watch much of the game but did see a number of plays with Dillon. It was deja vu. True, the line may not have blocked as well, but Dillon still makes little to no attempt to adjust. He just runs into the defenders hoping his legs will carry him through. They didn't and won't.

How did Lloyd and Wilson do? I didn't see them play. It had to be better than Dillon.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that may have been his only series.

Yeah, he didn't exactly look like Barry Sanders, but in fairness, he never once saw a hole. All 4 of his carries, there was just a soild wall of 300 lb linemen from both teams right in front of him, 5 or 6 at a time, and there was no way around them. If he tried to bounce outside, on every one of those plays I think by the time he tried a new direction there wre linebackers sand/or safeties who would have gotten there before he did.

But at the same time, it seemed to me that on most (if not all) of those plays, he should or could have seen earlier on that there was not going to be a hole, and moved outside instead of trying to climb Sean Rhyan's back every single time. Lloyd and Wilson both did exactly that when they got their chances - the instant they took the ball, they saw the designed play was not gioig to work, and they both did a great job of improvising (especially Lloyd; he made a couple of extraordinarly moves in the 3rd quarter).

And by the way... isn't there some rule in the NFL that limits the number of players name Isiah Thomas a team can have on the field at the same time? Because every single time Dillon touched the ball, there were at leas 3 guys named Isiah Thomas pounding him face first into the turf. I've never seen so many Isiah Thomas' all in the same place at the same time in my whole life.
I didn't notice the plethora of guys named Isiah Thomas out there, but your comment made me laugh anyway.

As for Dillon, I was under the impression that he trained hard over the off season to be able to at least try to make a move outside or inside or somewhere other than the backs of linemen. It looked like a rerun of his 2023 season.

That's about all I saw of the game. How did Lloyd and Wilson play? I just can't see Dillon as the #2 back. It's early, but let's face it, we've seen what he has and what he doesn't have. Too bad. He's a terrific guy and loves Wisconsin. But he just doesn't cut it at RB on anything but the practice squad. I hope he proves me wrong in the next few weeks but he'll have a hard time getting snaps after yesterday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was concenned early on, because the pass defense just looked bordeline clueless on the first series. The "get in your man's face, punch him at the line of scrimmage, impede his route, harass him and interfere evey single second" just weren't happening. It wasn't "Joe Barry" bad, but it didn't look like what we were told to expect.

By the second series, they were settling into a solid groove and were playing with confidence, and more aggressively. This was a big change from what we've been seeing the last several years, and I think they'll build on it and come out looking stronger dfrom Square One next week.

Yeah, we were clearly a better team all across the board. We pretty cleary outplayed a team who finished last season with a better record than our own, in probably the strongest division in the NFL. That's not a triivial accomplishment.

Dubose really stepped out and announcd himself, didn't he? He's going to get a lot of looks nest week, because in a live game situation, he took took countrol and played the best game of any receiver on the field. He played a veteran's game - even drawing a penalty when he beat his man.

And nd while neither Heath nor Melton did anytghing to hurt themselves, Dubose did the most to elevate himself. Heath made a very good play on tha early 14-yard first down, and I don't remember what Melton did with his one receoption, but that's kind of the poiont - I sure remember a lot about Dubose and his 6 receptions.
I only saw the first two series or so. I did see Quay Walker blitz as part of a 5-man blitz ending in a sack. Didn't see a lot of that last year. Again I didn't see a lot but the line and the LBs were playing aggressively. LVN seemed to be ready to go as well. It looked like Wyatt was playing well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Would have been the same for me here in Oklahoma. I started subscribing to NFL plus which has all preseason games live. Definitely a good investment if you live outside of the viewing area
Vee see box from Amazon

300 bucks. One time....hook.up to your wi fi And you watch all games...not just packers. But any sport and team all for the initial 300

Nothing more needed

I live in phoneix area..these are.my channels

As you see u get all Milwaukee channels

NFL network.. And red zone

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

What I texted a friend

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 23

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the game this morning. The Cleveland broadcast - how annoying!

Add to some of the comments:

Pratt looked like he can play. Like his poise, his quick passes, and most of his decisions. Clifford just seems too proactive. Needs to take what the defense gives you, be a little more patient, throw with more touch (too ******* some throws) and not force plays. As I type this I think I figured it out: he never throws guys open. Always seems a dart to the guy.

Bo Melton had a bad day. Dropped 2 he should have caught and a fumble.

OLine really needs Tom. 2nd stringers did not impress.

Dillion had nothing to work with. His game is smashing through small holes in the interior - not COD to the outside. There was no even a slight crease. He didn't distinguish himself, but we need to see more before cutting him. Hopefully Tom plays some in the preseason.

Reaction score
Yeah. Don’t get me wrong I want Dillon to make the cut but he can’t continue to regress. It might’ve just been a combo of things that led to a dismal day for him. It happens. I’ve been a supporter and I won’t give up after 1 bad game. That said we have to be realistic as we have like 4 options of 220lb+ RB to use for a tough yard. I’ll give the Browns D cudos. That was a great Stop they blew it up.

Emmanuel Wilson looked like he’s ascending. What I like is he’s got that extra gear if there’s a hole. Much more susceptible to busting a big play

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Don’t get me wrong I want Dillon to make the cut but he can’t continue to regress. It might’ve just been a combo of things that led to a dismal day for him. It happens. I’ve been a supporter and I won’t give up after 1 bad game. That said we have to be realistic as we have like 4 options of 220lb+ RB to use for a tough yard. I’ll give the Browns D cudos. That was a great Stop they blew it up.

Emmanuel Wilson looked like he’s ascending.
I didn't see most of the game. What was special about Wilson? Thanks.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson may very well be playing his way into a job. Pretty sure I’d take him over Dillon.
Dillon BLOWS and is still gonna get almost a 50/50 workload with Jacobs lafluer loves him they will do the same thing that they did with jones. I honestly don’t get it. Nobody wanted him in FA there is a reason he gets stonewalled at the line of scrimmage he is soft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon BLOWS and is still gonna get almost a 50/50 workload with Jacobs lafluer loves him they will do the same thing that they did with jones. I honestly don’t get it. Nobody wanted him in FA there is a reason he gets stonewalled at the line of scrimmage he is soft.
Aggressive blocker in pass protection and a plus as a reciever.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aggressive blocker in pass protection and a plus as a reciever.
Not enough imho. Yes, he'll get some first downs but he is not a very good RB. He gets stopped way more often than he should. Especially when he has his dancing shoes on.