Packers vs Broncos Pre Season Game #2 Thread

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about the preseason game is, like Poppa said, it sounded like The Pack did not do well against Denver during the week, which is concerning. One thing I noticed about Pratt was that he was zipping it too fast when he shouldn't have been. He has a nice arm but when a receiver is open and not far away; he shouldn't be throwing a fastball. Same with throws into the flat. I hope they work on that.

Reaction score
Yep, just one game, if you even wanna call it that. Seems like the rookies overall are performing well. I like S Williams and LB Hopper. Wooden should keep improving along with Brooks. D should certainly be much better than recent years. That's what I'll be looking for early on.
We’re going to have to rely on our D depth this year and hope and pray for 1st team Offensive health. Lol

I was expecting more from Tyler Davis. I noticed Davis got burned on a couple plays where he was a key blocker. One I saw him get blown off his heels and tossed like a ragdoll. He looked like he just woke up

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I really think it’s going that direction. Safety protocols are fine, but it’s affecting # net players who miss the cut. I’d bump it to something like 60, I was thinking 2 players per phase O,D,ST also.
Agree. I think expanding the Practice Squad to 16 players was a step in the right direction. However, I would have preferred to see those 6 extra spots be given to the roster. Being able to protect 4 players on your PS is a positive as well.

Cutdowns are in exactly 1 week. Here are the PS rules for those who want to bone up on their knowledge:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The thing about the preseason game is, like Poppa said, it sounded like The Pack did not do well against Denver during the week, which is concerning. One thing I noticed about Pratt was that he was zipping it too fast when he shouldn't have been. He has a nice arm but when a receiver is open and not far away; he shouldn't be throwing a fastball. Same with throws into the flat. I hope they work on that.
I wouldn't get too worried about last week. What a team does in scrimmages and the preseason doesn't show up on the regular season W and L columns.

The Packers and Broncos are 2 teams in 2 different positions in the NFL. Denver is in develop mode with a first year QB and they played their starters into the 2nd Q. Meanwhile, the Packers are in "contention for a SB" mode and 31 of their players didn't even suit up for the game. I am guessing MLF treated the scrimmages in a similar matter.

Sure, it would have been nice to see our backups play better than they did Sunday night, but many of those guys won't be on the team come Sept. and few will actually be asked to start any regular season games, yet alone play in many games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dillion I don’t think can be cut and preserve the cap benefit they got for him.
Not sure about that to be honest.

I still can't figure out Dillons contract/cap hit/dead cap hit but I will give you my best guess.

I remember when they resigned him it was reported that the Packers used a rare 4-year Qualifying Offer on AJ Dillon to keep him around. When I look at the 2 sites below, Spotrac is reporting $2,742,500 is guaranteed and OTC is reporting only his signing bonus of $167K as being guaranteed.

I have to believe OTC in this case. I think if the Packers would cut or trade Dillon, they are only out the $167K.

I also think if they keep him on the 53, his cap hit for 2024 is only $1.2925M. That seems to be consistent between both sites. The rest of his potential pay of $1.45M would be earned incentives and if earned, become 2025 cap hits.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't wish to overreact to one bad preseason game, but I think GB still needs a kicker and a back-up QB.

When other teams start cutting guys, I'd be looking for those two things.

Agree. If the Packers think they are a legit Super Bowl team, having Clifford or Pratt as their next man is somewhat question to me. Now I will say this, we haven't seen either of them playing with 10 starters around them in either preseason game. I do believe that is an important factor to consider. Had love played Sunday night, with the guys that Clifford and Pratt lined up with, fans would be scratching their heads as to why Love is the starter.

Gute and MLF will have to decide if either guy really could be a starting caliber QB. Obviously, if Love goes down the Packers could always try to find a vet replacement, but doing that mid season isn't as smart as doing it now, IMO.

As far as kicker goes. I agree with you, I think the Packers starting kicker is currently on another team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re going to have to rely on our D depth this year and hope and pray for 1st team Offensive health. Lol

I was expecting more from Tyler Davis. I noticed Davis got burned on a couple plays where he was a key blocker. One I saw him get blown off his heels and tossed like a ragdoll. He looked like he just woke up
I don’t understand that lack of effort. Contenders and champions just bring it on every down every time they line up. These guys can’t be fatigued at this point.

I’m also not that worried about the offensive backups. A few concerns, not many. I could be fooling myself. Just a gut feel.

The defense is going to be special.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. If the Packers think they are a legit Super Bowl team, having Clifford or Pratt as their next man is somewhat question to me. Now I will say this, we haven't seen either of them playing with 10 starters around them in either preseason game. I do believe that is an important factor to consider. Had love played Sunday night, with the guys that Clifford and Pratt lined up with, fans would be scratching their heads as to why Love is the starter.

Gute and MLF will have to decide if either guy really could be a starting caliber QB. Obviously, if Love goes down the Packers could always try to find a vet replacement, but doing that mid season isn't as smart as doing it now, IMO.

As far as kicker goes. I agree with you, I think the Packers starting kicker is currently on another team.

Ryan Tannehill...Still available. I would think Green Bay would be a desirable location for him.

As for kickers, Green Bay isn't the only team looking:

Commanders Eyeing Kicker Addition

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about that to be honest.
The context was under cutting a safe player to re-sign them after your prized rookie goes to IR after making the 53. The presumption is the team would want to keep/re-sign the player. The lose the cap benefit for the re-sign, as part of being a valid qualifying offer is having the player never not be on the team or having the contract expire.

Which makes for an interesting point--they could keep offering Dillon 1 year qualifying offers over and over again for as long as they are getting ~1.2M of value from him.

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worried about last week. What a team does in scrimmages and the preseason doesn't show up on the regular season W and L columns.

The Packers and Broncos are 2 teams in 2 different positions in the NFL. Denver is in develop mode with a first year QB and they played their starters into the 2nd Q. Meanwhile, the Packers are in "contention for a SB" mode and 31 of their players didn't even suit up for the game. I am guessing MLF treated the scrimmages in a similar matter.

Sure, it would have been nice to see our backups play better than they did Sunday night, but many of those guys won't be on the team come Sept. and few will actually be asked to start any regular season games, yet alone play in many games.
Plus we didn’t even get to see many of our best Draft picks. Morgan, Cooper, Bullard, Lloyd. The 2 other draft selection (Hopper+Monk) were some of the few bright spots. That’s not a coincidence.
Oladapo was out there, but recall he just came back last week from injury. Hes missed significant time in camp. He was just shaking the rust off

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The context was under cutting a safe player to re-sign them after your prized rookie goes to IR after making the 53. The presumption is the team would want to keep/re-sign the player. The lose the cap benefit for the re-sign, as part of being a valid qualifying offer is having the player never not be on the team or having the contract expire.

Which makes for an interesting point--they could keep offering Dillon 1 year qualifying offers over and over again for as long as they are getting ~1.2M of value from him.

I think Dillon would be claimed off waivers very quickly. He isn't a guy the Packers should cut, to try and resign to the PS. If I am reading his contract correctly, he's a bargain and will be just fine.

People hitting the panic button over Dillons few carries against the Browns, need to relax. It was a preseason game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill...Still available. I would think Green Bay would be a desirable location for him.
Yup, I said that yesterday. Depends on how much he wants though. He may be waiting for a $10M+ offer and not sure if he would be worth that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Won't surprise me to see the Packers try to improve at the #3 TE spot with a FA signing or claim after the cuts are made. Neither Davis or Sims are ideal options, IMO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's considered the #1 ST playing on all the units.
Gotta find a place for a guy like that then. Is he good enough at TE to be used for more than just blocking? STs is important and often overlooked. But I wouldn't cut the best player on the unit. Can he kick? :D

Reaction score
Gotta find a place for a guy like that then. Is he good enough at TE to be used for more than just blocking? STs is important and often overlooked. But I wouldn't cut the best player on the unit. Can he kick? :D
Good idea!!
No but seriously he can throw a ball. He was a QB coming into his Freshman year at UConn and converted to TE.

He can be used in the Passing game. He became the 2nd TE in UConn history to catch at least 6Td’s in 2018 and tied for 10th among all players in the entire AAC that season. Hes got some “Tonyan like” upside ability if they get him rolling.

He caught the eye of the Jags at pick #206 rd6 in 2020. He’s a 4th year player in GB (but missed the entire 2023 season) more like a 3rd year player. he’s got the tools he just needs to be used properly is my guess. He’s really stayed on the merit of a leader on Special Teams

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's considered the #1 ST playing on all the units.
I wonder why? I don't recall him making tackles. Maybe his position should be STplayer. There are not really very many who are good enough to keep just for their ST play. They need to actually be special.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good idea!!
No but seriously he can throw a ball. He was a QB coming into his Freshman year at UConn and converted to TE.

He can be used in the Passing game. He became the 2nd TE in UConn history to catch at least 6Td’s in 2018 and tied for 10th among all players in the entire AAC that season. Hes got some “Tonyan like” upside ability if they get him rolling.

He caught the eye of the Jags at pick #206 rd6 in 2020. He’s a 4th year player in GB (but missed the entire 2023 season) more like a 3rd year player. he’s got the tools he just needs to be used properly is my guess. He’s really stayed on the merit of a leader on Special Teams
Yeah he'll be fine. Kinda hard to get snaps with Kraft and Tucker ahead on the depth chart.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why? I don't recall him making tackles. Maybe his position should be STplayer. There are not really very many who are good enough to keep just for their ST play. They need to actually be special.
Agree. And there are some v good STs players who don't get much press, like the gunners. The good ones get down fast on a kickoff or punt and take a returner down immediately. That looks like it's very difficult to do. I guess that changes now, at least on kickoffs with the new rules.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dillon would be claimed off waivers very quickly. He isn't a guy the Packers should cut, to try and resign to the PS. If I am reading his contract correctly, he's a bargain and will be just fine.

People hitting the panic button over Dillons few carries against the Browns, need to relax. It was a preseason game.

LOL, getting off the rails. I floated that we could temporarily cut A vested veteran if we need to play IR games. A different poster suggested Dillon. I was against that because it'd mess up the qualifying offer math. You quoted me and seem to be agreeing with me that cutting him would be a poor choice, but for a different reason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin Harlan is decent. He pointed out that in regular season games the Packers scored only 2 points twice, both in the 30's. Won one and lost one, both times the Bears. He also pointed out the defense was running at most half a dozen formations to simplify the game plan.

At least one starting safety played. Both safety draft picks played most of the first half. One of the two should be a starter.

Andy Hermann says there are about 24 players vying for about 8 slots after you eliminate the "not a chance" (14) and locks (38) and most likely (13.) This includes both kickers, 4th RB, 5-8th WR, and 3rd TE type players.

Looked to me like they were shuffling the deck quite a bit to see if someone shined. Also early on it looked like a lot of run calls to get film on run blocking since they probably don't hit much in practice.

I am more concerned after learning the starting offense was easily handled in the joint practices too. Might be something to the theory that MLF doesn't have a good travel routine figured out.

I recall vested means after 4 years. If so then with minimal or no cap hit Dillon, Ballantine, Eric Wilson, Dillard all fit the bill.
Thanks for the correction on safety play against the Broncos. I'm not sure which starting S played but did hear that Williams had a solid game. Along with Bullard and FA McKinney, the back end of the defense is looking good.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Pratt was that he was zipping it too fast when he shouldn't have been. He has a nice arm but when a receiver is open and not far away; he shouldn't be throwing a fastball. Same with throws into the flat. I hope they work on that.
t
That didn't surprise or disturb me; in fact, I'd have been surprised me if he hadn't been doing that. Pleasantly, but still a surprise. I'd expect a guy in his position to be a little amped up under the circumstances.

Love and Rodgers both dialed a lot of paasses all the way up to "11" when they were first settling into the job, and don't even get me started on Favre. The game happens a lot faster at this level than they're used to; the windows are smaller, and close much more quickly. It's natural for them to adjust to that by trying to get the ball there faster.

I think he'll learn. He seems like a prettty smart kid, learns fast. The good ones learn to settle into the pace, and I would expect him to do so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
t
That didn't surprise or disturb me; in fact, I'd have been surprised me if he hadn't been doing that. Pleasantly, but still a surprise. I'd expect a guy in his position to be a little amped up under the circumstances.

Love and Rodgers both dialed a lot of paasses all the way up to "11" when they were first settling into the job, and don't even get me started on Favre. The game happens a lot faster at this level than they're used to; the windows are smaller, and close much more quickly. It's natural for them to adjust to that by trying to get the ball there faster.

I think he'll learn. He seems like a prettty smart kid, learns fast. The good ones learn to settle into the pace, and I would expect him to do so.
Agree.

I would love to see both backup QB's play with the #1's for a few series, but that isn't happing on Saturday. The coaches will have to decide who is the guy that would best lead the offense if Love goes down.

It won't surprise me to see Clifford cut and maybe resigned to the PS.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Tannehill in a Packer uniform in the next week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
t

Yeah fanboy aside, I don't think I've ever seen a QB throw as hard as Favre.

But to your point, that is how the game needs to be played. WRs should expect fastballs, in training camp just as much as the regular season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But to your point, that is how the game needs to be played. WRs should expect fastballs, in training camp just as much as the regular season.
Reminds me of the people who say Caitlin Clark should slow down her passes so the other players can handle them. Elevate your game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts