Packers vs Bengals: Preseason Game 1 Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Overall, it sounds and reads like a pretty impressive showing by the Pack for their first preseason game with all these young guys.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valentine, Wilson, Clifford, all the young DTs looked impressive. Not sure what the Bengals had on the OL, but the DL was collapsing that pocket fast. Wooden, Slayton, and Wyatt were there and I'm not sure who else.

Could have a dozen players who looked good.

Anders is going to get some competition tomorrow.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Always guarded optimism when it comes to preseason games. That said, the Packers looked a lot more in sync than the Bengals and a lot more than a lot of previous Packer teams in preseason. I'd say my only disappointments of the night was Anders XP misses, LVN looking a bit lost and TE's missing some blocks.

The defense gave up zero TD's and overall played really well. The offense under both Love and Clifford looked really good for the first preseason game. Finally, the players all looked pretty juiced, from start to finish, lots of energy out there!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping the injuries to OT's Caleb Jones & Tenuta aren't too serious. Would be a big hit to the OT depth if they are. Also hoping Tyler Goodson's shoulder isn't a long-term setback, too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hoping the injuries to OT's Caleb Jones & Tenuta aren't too serious. Would be a big hit to the OT depth if they are. Also hoping Tyler Goodson's shoulder isn't a long-term setback, too.
Sounds like Tyler Davis suffered a "significant knee injury". I had him penciled in as the #4 TE on the 53, means Austin Allen is next man up.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats it were goin to the the SB. lol. What is it w Carlsons and their first NFL team? Yips all around. Reminds me of the 70s pack teams preseason. Until the real games started. How many of the Bengals starting 11 on D played vs 1st team offense?

There is iron pyrite in them there hills. lol. Im standing firm on 5 wins regular season

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats it were goin to the the SB. lol. What is it w Carlsons and their first NFL team? Yips all around. Reminds me of the 70s pack teams preseason. Until the real games started. How many of the Bengals starting 11 on D played vs 1st team offense?

There is iron pyrite in them there hills. lol. Im standing firm on 5 wins regular season
Well thanks for taking time out of your busy life to poop on our parade!

Although we can't conclude the Packers will win the SB based on a preseason game, there were a bunch of positives:

1. We played with more speed than in the past
2. Players were more aggressive
3. Our QBs looked poised
4. Our backups outplayed the Bengals backups meaning we have much better depth.
5. Some of the individual performances were very surprisingly good.

This wasn't your father's Bengal team, they were in the 2022 SB and nearly upset the Rams.

It's better than sucking right?

Greenbaypackers77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clifford showed great potential. Some of those passes were lasers, his fumble and ints were typical of a fresh young QB. Shoot he may even be better than Love.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well thanks for taking time out of your busy life to poop on our parade!

Although we can't conclude the Packers will win the SB based on a preseason game, there were a bunch of positives:

1. We played with more speed than in the past
2. Players were more aggressive
3. Our QBs looked poised
4. Our backups outplayed the Bengals backups meaning we have much better depth.
5. Some of the individual performances were very surprisingly good.

This wasn't your father's Bengal team, they were in the 2022 SB and nearly upset the Rams.

It's better than sucking right?
LOL Amish, yeah it's better than sucking. OK it's one PS game, but hey, the guys on the field played very well, overall. I think most impressive was Clifford and Reed. Clifford for his accuracy and poise, and Reed because it looks like he can catch anything.

So a very good start. Better than preseasons in the past that I remember.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clifford showed great potential. Some of those passes were lasers, his fumble and ints were typical of a fresh young QB. Shoot he may even be better than Love.
He was certainly better than Love last night, but it's not a fair comparison. I was happy with the QB play from both guys. Clifford made mistakes and didn't get rattled. Pretty impressive for anyone, more so for a rookie in his first NFL game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is a roller coaster ride of good and bad play. Some guys will like like they're on the way to Canton in one game, stink up the field the next, and be cut after the third. Others will look horrible in the beginning, improve as the games move along, and survive, making the 53 man roster. Right now, there's several spots that are in a state of flux.

I thought the offense did pretty well. I don't care if they started out playing the Bengals 2nd string. They appeared to be in sync for the most part. I liked Clifford. I thought he did well for a guy getting his first field time. The first INT was on him. The second? Kraft should have become a defender, and ripped the ball away from the defender, not allow him to rip the ball away from him. He'll learn from it, and become more "violent" in his actions on the ball in the future.

So, who will they bring in next to fail as a kicker? I can hardly wait. :(

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is a roller coaster ride of good and bad play. Some guys will like like they're on the way to Canton in one game, stink up the field the next, and be cut after the third. Others will look horrible in the beginning, improve as the games move along, and survive, making the 53 man roster. Right now, there's several spots that are in a state of flux.

I thought the offense did pretty well. I don't care if they started out playing the Bengals 2nd string. They appeared to be in sync for the most part. I liked Clifford. I thought he did well for a guy getting his first field time. The first INT was on him. The second? Kraft should have become a defender, and ripped the ball away from the defender, not allow him to rip the ball away from him. He'll learn from it, and become more "violent" in his actions on the ball in the future.

So, who will they bring in next to fail as a kicker? I can hardly wait. :(
Crosby. He's waiting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Crosby. He's waiting.
Here I thought Captain would be the only one screaming to bring Crosby back.....oh wait... :roflmao:

Give Anders some time. Not unusual for rookie Kickers to miss some kicks and/or get the yips. The kid has a strong leg, Bisaccia will get him straightened out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That looked bad as it happened
I got a late start watching the game and was about 15 minutes behind live. My buddy texted me with "They are going to run out of carts to take Packers off the field." Not advanced news you want to hear, so I was holding my breath on every play, waiting to see what players were carted off. Tenuta was the first to go down and be carted off. I don't like seeing any player get injured, but probably not a giant loss, he was PS material and sounds like an ankle injury, might be back.

When I saw Davis go up and make that catch, as he was being undercut, I knew that had to be the next guy to go off in a cart. Surprisingly he limped off the field, but later, was seen being carted off.

Davis was definitely a depth guy on offense, but lead the special teams in snap counts last year. He played 80.84% of the ST snaps (346). So he might not be missed a ton on offense, but I think a guy the Packers really like on Special Teams.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I thought Captain would be the only one screaming to bring Crosby back.....oh wait... :roflmao:

Give Anders some time. Not unusual for rookie Kickers to miss some kicks and/or get the yips. The kid has a strong leg, Bisaccia will get him straightened out.
It's time to send Carlson to Cleveland, to visit Cerrano, and his shrine to Joe Boo. There's no way he's gonna right the ship without his help!

Attachments

• 1691852109764.jpeg
    1691852109764.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 61

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's time to send Carlson to Cleveland, to visit Cerrano, and his shrine to Joe Boo. There's no way he's gonna right the ship without his help!

:roflmao: A classic!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The first INT was on him.
First INT was on Rhyan at RG getting smoked allowing a free rush at Clifford forcing a hurried throw he couldn't step into.
Injuries suck especially at OL. Looks like the final 9-10 on the 53 could be settled by attrition. I had hoped that 2 of Jones, Walker, Tenuta showed enough to make Nijman tradeable for a 3-4 rounder to a needy OL team. Now lower leg injuries will hobble two of them.
Mercedes shouldn't have signed with the Bears because he could now re-up his rental agreement in GB. Sounds like Davis' season is done.
Damn kickers.
I liked the sticky DB coverage in the parts of the game I saw. Even in the 4th qtr the PS bubble boys were in the receivers jerseys. Hope the scheme is that and not letting receivers run free across the zones.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Newman played himself off the team. The starting oline minus Bahk..looked pretty good though.
Love looked good in his short time in. That pass to Watson was right on the money..the defender made a great play. The miss to Musgrave..even Rodgers did that at times.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First INT was on Rhyan at RG getting smoked allowing a free rush at Clifford forcing a hurried throw he couldn't step into.
Injuries suck especially at OL. Looks like the final 9-10 on the 53 could be settled by attrition. I had hoped that 2 of Jones, Walker, Tenuta showed enough to make Nijman tradeable for a 3-4 rounder to a needy OL team. Now lower leg injuries will hobble two of them.
Mercedes shouldn't have signed with the Bears because he could now re-up his rental agreement in GB. Sounds like Davis' season is done.
Damn kickers.
I liked the sticky DB coverage in the parts of the game I saw. Even in the 4th qtr the PS bubble boys were in the receivers jerseys. Hope the scheme is that and not letting receivers run free across the zones.
Good point on the Olé block by Rhyan. I think it was the major contributor as well, after reviewing it. Clifford will recognize the need to put the ball into the dirt in the direction of a receiver in the future, when something like that happens. It was a good teaching tool at this level.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the Olé block by Rhyan. I think it was the major contributor as well, after reviewing it. Clifford will recognize the need to put the ball into the dirt in the direction of a receiver in the future, when something like that happens. It was a good teaching tool at this level.
The int was clearly on Clifford. He should have eaten the ball. Desperation throws are not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.