Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually PFF is pretty good, but the eye test says the difference between Hundley and Stafford was much more than 4.9 on their scale.

I expect these numbers to change some once they review the grades.

As a rule I pay no attention to PFF grades because they fail the eye test. Things like "See gap, run forward" and getting sacked because he tried to run don't show up on stat sheets.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was better this week but short passes behind the lines won't get it done. The lose this week was on defense and running game.
There are plenty of teams around the league whose passing game is predicated on shorter throws. McCarthy just doesn't know how to string together a scoring drive.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a rule I pay no attention to PFF grades because they fail the eye test. Things like "See gap, run forward" and getting sacked because he tried to run don't show up on stat sheets.

The biggest problem with PFF is they don't know each player's assignment when assigning a grade.

It's easy for positions like left tackle, but not not so much for WR or QB.

Overall, I'd call it a decent objective measure, but not perfect of course.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should have done it again. Sounds like a much better plan than having a backup throw 40 times, getting constant 3 and outs and having your crappy defense live on the field.
couldn't disagree more. Hundley needs to play better but simply handing the ball off is not the way. Detroit's defense is actually very good against the run as well and it showed tonight.

D

Deleted member 6794

2. Two-minute drill manager. He is not great by any means, but showed an ability to control the game clock and move quickly between plays. I was very impressed with this during the last 20 seconds before halftime.

Hundley threw over the middle of the field with the team not having a timeout and less than 30 seconds remaining but was bailed out by the field goal unit being able to quickly get off the snap before time expired.

The Packers played it safe with their young quarterback with 27-of-35 aimed passes (removing throw aways) traveling under 10 yards.

McCarthy definitely has to take more risks going forward as the offense won't score enough points for the team to win games by continuing to play it safe with Hundley.

PFF actually incorporates plays like that into their grades. I agree that they aren't perfect by any means but a decent indicator of a player's performance.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually saw improvement with Hundley last night IMO versus the Saints game. Improvement is good and he will get better with more game action. BUT with this defense,unless there is some monumental change,not even the best healthy QB available could lead this team to the playoffs.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not so bad and I give him the benefit of the doubt because he's getting hurried a lot. But he's quick to freak out and escape the pocket too. However I would have expected more at this point after being on the team for 3 years or whatever. Doesn't really strike me as starter talent.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mitch Trubisky only completed four passes today for the Bears, but they crushed the Panthers. Helps to have a defense apparently. I wouldn't know.

This was Hundley's first start, so he has to be given time. But I have to admit I was expecting a little more out of him. I didn't see the game, it wasn't broadcast here, but it sounds like McCarthy kept a tight rein on him. Didn't we have our starting tackles in today? Why was the pass protection so bad (from what I hear)?

Even Rodgers was 6-10 in his first year, and obviously Hundley is no Rodgers. It is what it is, I guess.
It was Hundley's second start, at home. There was video of him with 4-5 seconds. How long do you expect our receivers to wait? He is not even a decent starting QB. At this point just about anyone would do better. He's been in the system for 2 1/2 years. Let's face it, he's not even the QB of right now, we need to fire the DC and look at a new QB. Just about anyone would be better, just look at his stats for 2 3/4 games, terrible.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That just a bullsh*t kneejerk article. Adams only good for #3 receiver in other teams? Really? I bet he'd command a hefty tag if he hits FA despite this season being a write off.

It's all down to gameplan and I think our WRs know Hundley won't be throwing to them. In face even in 1st series, Jordy was free and Hundley ended up have to get the ball off for a dud before being tackled...it's as it he has instructions to just look at short and ignore rest of the field.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL.ocm fantasy writer Matt Harmon wrote this Nest Gen Stats article about our offense with Brett Hundley:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ers-offense-unrecognizable-with-brett-hundley

An offense that once operated with unparalleled efficiency at the hands of all-time great Aaron Rodgers is unrecognizable with Brett Hundley at the controls. No one makes it look easier than Rodgers. Accustomed to a quarterback who executes every facet of the position, it's painful to watch the Packers' offense manned by a player who makes every play look as laborious as possible.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of teams around the league whose passing game is predicated on shorter throws. McCarthy just doesn't know how to string together a scoring drive.
Hundley is not capable of much other than a garbage time drive. Man, does he suck. I can't stand watching him, he is so bad.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all down to gameplan and I think our WRs know Hundley won't be throwing to them. In face even in 1st series, Jordy was free
Maybe the receivers have to earn Hundley's trust before he throws to them :)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is an awful OC . Detroit has the 20th scoring defense, which includes our poor outing. You'd think with the most average of offenses, any team could put up 20 legit, non-garbage time points. Hundley wasn't nearly as bad as any of you want to believe. He just plays in an offense which was exploited in 2015 and requires a super human arm to succeed in

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley wasn't nearly as bad as any of you want to believe. He just plays in an offense which was exploited in 2015 and requires a super human arm to succeed in
Hundley is an ongoing project as far as I'm concerned. What bothers me is most of the team looks like they've given up since Rodgers got hurt.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is an awful OC . Detroit has the 20th scoring defense, which includes our poor outing. You'd think with the most average of offenses, any team could put up 20 legit, non-garbage time points. Hundley wasn't nearly as bad as any of you want to believe. He just plays in an offense which was exploited in 2015 and requires a super human arm to succeed in

Our problem coach was the defensive coordinator last night. What was the OC supposed to do with a physically and mentally limited QB?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if Hundley never plays in the NFL again after this season..especially if the Packers don't resign him.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the receivers have to earn Hundley's trust before he throws to them :)

Jokes aside, that is a reality. I recall an interview from Adams where he said he had to work hard to get in as ARs 1st read receiver. So, yeah...there's a bit of trust invovled.

But that's not the case with Hundley. It's as if he had instructions to be a robot and just execute whatever MM calls, and that's no way to run an offence.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jokes aside, that is a reality. I recall an interview from Adams where he said he had to work hard to get in as ARs 1st read receiver. So, yeah...there's a bit of trust invovled.

But that's not the case with Hundley. It's as if he had instructions to be a robot and just execute whatever MM calls, and that's no way to run an offence.

Look at his game plan the past two games. MM may cost Hundley a shot at another NFL contract..unless it's in Green Bay. There are a lot of people who believe he can't play QB in the NFL. His knocks coming out of college still plague him which is a reflection of coaching.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Rodgers came out of Jeff Tedford's system and we know how much they sucked out of college and in the NFL. Yet Rodgers is flourishing, a product of coaching perhaps? He also brought out the best in Brooks and Developed rich Gannon. He also put Favre back on track after it looked like he was going to just toss up jump balls every play and he had some career years after that.

Hundley may not get it, but live fire is as important for players and coaches learning about the game as practice time. I expect Hundley will get better. we may lose too many in the meantime to be relevant later, but it is what it is. If it's a reflection of coaching that Hundley 2 games in, has some college knocks still plaguing him, then it's also a reflection of coaching that Rodgers doesn't and is thought of as the top 1 or 2 QB in the league almost unanimously.

So which is it? He can coach? Or he can't? or maybe it's a lot more complicated than that?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if Hundley never plays in the NFL again after this season..especially if the Packers don't resign him.
That is ridiculous. Is he Aaron Rodgers? No. Is he surrounded by a team and coaching staff who are capable of putting a young, inexperienced QB in a position to win? Absolutely not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts