Brett Hundley -2017 season performances

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is how I feel..

Wish the knee jerk reactions would stop..

Wonder how many here have been in similar situations and were successfully right away..

Maybe hanging drywall.. Changing a tire, building Web page..

We probably all have struggled at something for 1st few times..
This is how I feel..

Wish the knee jerk reactions would stop..

Wonder how many here have been in similar situations and were successfully right away..

Maybe hanging drywall.. Changing a tire, building Web page..

We probably all have struggled at something for 1st few times..

I'm not in total disagreement about making knee jerk reactions, but I don't see the comparison.

Playing QB is not hanging drywall, changing a tire or building a webpage. Hundley has presumably been doing this most of his life. He did not just look up a YouTube video on how to play QB on Sunday morning. He has had 2 and a half years of training just in this system.

So I can understand why people aren't optimistic after seeing Sunday's performance that things will be way different in 2 weeks.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in total disagreement about making knee jerk reactions, but I don't see the comparison.

Playing QB is not hanging drywall, changing a tire or building a webpage. Hundley has presumably been doing this most of his life. He did not just look up a YouTube video on how to play QB on Sunday morning. He has had 2 and a half years of training just in this system.

So I can understand why people aren't optimistic after seeing Sunday's performance that things will be way different in 2 weeks.
I would be more optimistic, but frankly Taysom hill seemed to have more pocket presence in the pre season than Hundley did. I just don't think Hundley has it.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Alex Smith leaves game concussion Kapernick comes in gets a tie against the Rams. Next blows out against the Bears next week. Ends season 5W 2L 1T makes it to Superbowl .
See the difference? He had 1 1/2 years in system.
Matt Flynn coming back to Packers after 2 years and 3 teams away goes 2W 2L 1T
Basic problem with Hundley is the skill set.
Its also not that rare that college stars fail in NFL. Keep in mind best college teams only handful of players will make the NFL.
What driving me up the wall is it was obvious to me based on preseason games, yet not obvious to coaches and TT?

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think after the 4-6 start last season before the epic turn around, people would wait to draw conclusions.

When Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback, it's pretty safe to assume that things can turn around anytime.

Given what we've seen so far from Hundley, I'm not so sure that would be such a safe assumption. The two scenarios aren't really comparable.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to pass more if he is to get some connection to the receivers. Work can be done in bye week and practices, but need a more aggressive passing game. We can't rush our way into playoff's.
Basic problem is he not very accurate as passer. He passed more in first game. QB rating 36.6 Second game passed less QB rating 36.9 ....... see a pattern forming? I doubt that number getting markedly better after the bye week.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback, it's pretty safe to assume that things can turn around anytime.

Given what we've seen so far from Hundley, I'm not so sure that would be such a safe assumption. The two scenarios aren't really comparable.

Safe sure wasn't the forum majority last year. Not even close.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safe sure wasn't the forum majority last year. Not even close.
Isn't that the truth. It would be funny to find all the posts from around this time last year, just to see the tone and feeling. There were a lot of them, MM can't call an offense, MM can't coach. Rodgers needs to be traded while he has value. Hundley is the future, give him his shot, WR's can't get open, etc, etc. It's funny how knowing how something ends, changes one's perspective because there weren't a lot of people giving the Packers a chance of anything this time last year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the next 3 games will be pretty telling. They're not what you would call easy games, but winnable ones. 2 at home, Lions and Ravens, and one in Chicago vs. the Bears.

If they lose all 3, then I'd say yeah they're pretty much sunk . If they can come out of it with 2 of 3 they should be relatively in the thick of things at 6-4.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basic problem is he not very accurate as passer. He passed more in first game. QB rating 36.6 Second game passed less QB rating 36.9 ....... see a pattern forming? I doubt that number getting markedly better after the bye week.

It's because he still hasn't connected with the WRs. Only by throwing more we can get that sorted. First start and within 25 passes, you really can't expect them to be in sync.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised they haven't started with the big TE's. Running the ball so well, and then run some TE's out there of play action and start completing some passes. put a big body right in front of him to throw it too and get this kid some confidence. The long balls and back shoulder are going to take work, lots of it and he has to be accurate, but in the meantime we need first downs and to move the ball and get some completions. He has to stop floating the ball too, way too many of those. The kid has tools to work with, but we need to see some progress in the next game.

Reaction score
Regardless of what the final outcome of Hundley’s career is this is WAY too early to condemn a player.
We’ve invested far too much to give up on any player in so short a time. Especially at the QB position which is by far the most complex to learn.
Let’s give the guy 2 full games back to back before we convict him and sentence him to the island of Patmos ;)

Reaction score

Asking for “way different” will get you nothing but disappointment. For the exact same reasons you argue against him (This isn’t drywall) would say are the same reasons that I argue take more time. Weve become far too anxious a generation and I can see why Mcarthy gets irritable at the notion of replacing Hundley so early

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asking for “way different” will get you nothing but disappointment. For the exact same reasons you argue against him (This isn’t drywall) would say are the same reasons that I argue take more time. Weve become far too anxious a generation and I can see why Mcarthy gets irritable at the notion of replacing Hundley so early
I agree with your premise... however, I have never believed that Hundley has what it takes to be an NFL QB. Aaron Rodgers going down is no reason for me to change my mind. If Hundley proves me wrong, I will be happy, but I can certainly understand why people may prefer he is replaced before he can prove them right.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some quarterbacks play several years before they learn the position and get enough experience to perform at a high level. I have no problem giving Hundley the rest of the season. Sure, it would be great to have a Tom Brady ready to come in, but we have Hundley so let's see what he can do. If it turns out he stinks, we can rip on Thompson all off season for not getting us a better backup QB :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some people are talking about Hundley, some are talking about Capers, some include MM in the conversation. The bigger picture and the guy that may actually or should be on the hotseat at the end of the year if Hundley fails and can't guide the Packers to a decent season is Ted Thompson. A team that has legit SB aspirations should not be completely derailed by the loss of one player, even the great Aaron Rodgers. So why did TT build a team with such a weak spot? Why didn't he just keep an eye on the backup QB position and think to himself, "****, if AR goes down, who are we?" Was he misled on the 3 year progress of Hundley? It's not like he hasn't seen this situation before when top players have gone down and inexperienced developmental guys have to step up and they failed.

This is all conjecture, because I still hope Hundley steadily improves and the Packers as a team can right this ship. However, if they don't or even if it takes Hundley 5 or more games to get better and the Packers are out of the playoff hunt, TT has to be brought to the mat on this one and explain how and why the Packers team couldn't win without 1 player. Or has all this previous "success" been done behind smoke and mirrors because of that one player?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people are talking about Hundley, some are talking about Capers, some include MM in the conversation. The bigger picture and the guy that may actually or should be on the hotseat at the end of the year if Hundley fails and can't guide the Packers to a decent season is Ted Thompson. A team that has legit SB aspirations should not be completely derailed by the loss of one player, even the great Aaron Rodgers. So why did TT build a team with such a weak spot? Why didn't he just keep an eye on the backup QB position and think to himself, "****, if AR goes down, who are we?" Was he misled on the 3 year progress of Hundley? It's not like he hasn't seen this situation before when top players have gone down and inexperienced developmental guys have to step up and they failed.

This is all conjecture, because I still hope Hundley steadily improves and the Packers as a team can right this ship. However, if they don't or even if it takes Hundley 5 or more games to get better and the Packers are out of the playoff hunt, TT has to be brought to the mat on this one and explain how and why the Packers team couldn't win without 1 player. Or has all this previous "success" been done behind smoke and mirrors because of that one player?
I agree. Although I wouldn't characterize it as smoke and mirrors. I do think that a team built on offense needs a very good QB to win a Super Bowl. Sure a few teams like the Ravens did it with defense, but we all know that is not this team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree. Although I wouldn't characterize it as smoke and mirrors. I do think that a team built on offense needs a very good QB to win a Super Bowl. Sure a few teams like the Ravens did it with defense, but we all know that is not this team.

I used "smoke and mirrors" to dramatize it a bit.....I admit :D However, it is something a lot of us have talked about for a long time, just how much AR means to the Packers and how he can cover up for the deficiencies of the rest of the team. Losing him finally gives a chance for our theory to be tested.

If you have a really successful company and that success drops off dramatically because your #1 sales guy leaves, don't you have to look at everyone above him and say "How did you put our company in such a precarious position?"

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used "smoke and mirrors" to dramatize it a bit.....I admit :D However, it is something a lot of us have talked about for a long time, just how much AR means to the Packers and how he can cover up for the deficiencies of the rest of the team. Losing him finally gives a chance for our theory to be tested.

If you have a really successful company and that success drops off dramatically because your #1 sales guy leaves, don't you have to look at everyone above him and say "How did you put our company in such a precarious position?"
I suppose, But we have to remember that success is not as simple as saying I plan to succeed. I think most winning teams have had a top tier QB along with good coaching... that is what we have had for many years now. Where I am in complete agreement with you is that Thompson and McCarthy should have anticipated this and had a reliable backup on the roster. I don't expect them to have Russel Wilson as the backup, but they should have at least had somebody that has proven they can complete a few passes lol.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How, exactly, is the team "built on offense"? Half of the starting defense is 1st round picks, and that doesn't even include our best defensive players this year, which are Daniels, Martinez, and Burnett.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A team that has legit SB aspirations should not be completely derailed by the loss of one player, even the great Aaron Rodgers. So why did TT build a team with such a weak spot?
It seems like a hallmark of TT's teams are that they have a weak spot built in. Like last year, the depth in the secondary was thin and inexperienced. They were one injury away from disaster. This year the OL and pass rush depth was suspect. Right now we're seeing what the backup QB situation looks like. Maybe the problem with having a player as great as Rodgers is that he is so expensive, you have to leave some holes somewhere?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like a hallmark of TT's teams are that they have a weak spot built in. Like last year, the depth in the secondary was thin and inexperienced. They were one injury away from disaster. This year the OL and pass rush depth was suspect. Right now we're seeing what the backup QB situation looks like. Maybe the problem with having a player as great as Rodgers is that he is so expensive, you have to leave some holes somewhere?
Rodgers isn't even currently being paid market Value so.... no.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, its a unique problem of Ted Thompson and the Packers. No other decent team in the NFL faces the same challenges. Clearly the secondary had 1 injury last year LOL. This year the OL, we played with 5 ****ing guards we had so many injuries and you know what? They did OK. Most teams lose 1 guy, by 2 the line is suspect, 3? HA! they aren't competing for ****. Happens in GB and goe 2-3 deep at those 3 positions and it's Ted's fault. LOL Everyone says we needed a vet at QB, should have we signed Jay ****ing Cutler? give 15 million to Glennon to come over? 6 million to McCown to give us a back up? you guys saw him lose the game for the Jets last week right? quit acting like these guys are all the answers. They're expensive and they're limited and they may have experience, but they don't always give you chances to win games.

I watched some of the game last night, maybe it ended better, but into the 3rd quarter with back up QB's playing Miami and Baltimore looked like **** too. Between the veteran back up olineman we need that will be worth a **** for and a vet QB costing at 5-15 million to be a back up plus some vet DB's that can still play and not just be a name, the dollars are flying out of here faster than my bank account LOL.

They have invested time and resources into Hundley, it may just end up being a poor investment. But considering it usually takes 4-6 weeks for Rodgers and this offense to look like Rodgers and the offense we all know, writing Hundley off after 1 start seems a tad premature. I'm not that excited by his play, trust me. I've been leaning towards he's not a quality back up for a while now myself. But i'm not kidding myself in thinking that one of these other guys automatically gives us a chance. They're experienced vets looking for jobs for a reason, because they have already proven they can't get it done. I suppose we wouldn't have to spend 4 million for Matt Barkley, we could go on the cheap and get Joe Webb. He'd help i'm sure. Blaine Gabbert? Geno smith, Sanchez? Fitzpatrick? All these guys suck, have sucked, and will continue to suck. Hundley has sucked, maybe he gets better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts