Breaking Down the NFC North, 2024

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. We really haven’t even cleaned things up yet.

The Packers are tied (Cleveland) for the 4th most penalties (34).
GB is tied at #1 (Seattle) for the MOST Offensive Holding penalties (9). O Holding our primary culprit.
GB has the #8 most penalty yards

Packers #8 most penalty yardage
Detroit #5
Chicago #13
Minnesota #19

Penalties need to be a focus
FWIW (and this is controversial), the starters need to get more snaps in the pre-season.

Each year features a different group of players, and this affects the linemen most IMO. That accounts in part for the poor communication, holding and offsides penalties. I'm not talking about playing them for very long - maybe the fist two series each game - so they learn how to play together. Someone made a point in the JS that blocking for Aaron Jones is a lot different than blocking for Josh Jacobs. So, practice together in a PS game.

I know the #1 objection is risking injury in a meaningless game. But PS games aren't meaningless, and if not playing the starters contributes to losses in the first month - well then I say play them in the PS.

I recall Jordy Nelson tearing an ACL on a non-contact play in PS. Rodgers was massively pissed. (Well so was I.....) This was a long time ago. And since then, or so it seems, the starters haven't taken snaps in the PS, with the exception of the first series of the last PS game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about winning the division. I just want to win each game and get into the playoffs. Normally I would not feel this way. But this year I say keep your eyes on the big prize. If we do win the division...great.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about winning the division. I just want to win each game and get into the playoffs. Normally I would not feel this way. But this year I say keep your eyes on the big prize. If we do win the division...great.
Agreed. The Packers would probably have to win the rest of their division games, and that doesn't seem likely, to win the division. I'd much rather see a lower seed and a team that is peaking in January, much like last year.

I don't have a handle on how good MN is. On offense they have few weaknesses and will get elite TE Hockenson back shortly. Their D is solid, but filled with older guys. They have a game coming up in a few weeks with Detroit, and that will tell us a lot more.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The Packers would probably have to win the rest of their division games, and that doesn't seem likely, to win the division. I'd much rather see a lower seed and a team that is peaking in January, much like last year.

I don't have a handle on how good MN is. On offense they have few weaknesses and will get elite TE Hockenson back shortly. Their D is solid, but filled with older guys. They have a game coming up in a few weeks with Detroit, and that will tell us a lot more.
Lions will battle it out for the division. But the Packers can certainly get into the postseason. The NFC East and NFC South will make it challenging for one division to put 3 teams into the postseason. But there is a lot of games to be played.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions will battle it out for the division. But the Packers can certainly get into the postseason. The NFC East and NFC South will make it challenging for one division to put 3 teams into the postseason. But there is a lot of games to be played.
Yeah I believe the Packers will get into post-season play. I don't recall as many upsets/surprises in the first month of the NFL regular season as I've seen this year. The NFC was supposed to belong to the Niners, with the Lions close behind. The Niners are sinking, the Lions are one of the few teams playing to expectations, and the Vikings are on another planet.

Things will change, they always do. How they will change is why we watch every week.

Finally, I do think the Packers will need to finish first or second in the NFC North. As much as it pains me, the Vikings look pretty damn good. Will they win the North? I just don't see it, but have no good reasons either!

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Into week 5 of the NFL regular season, having watched all NFC Central teams play the current ranking must be:
Vikings - undefeated and their D is playing at a high level while O finds ways to win with the best wr in the nfl
Lions - VG D, Goff is playing at a high level; will be an interesting game against Vikes
Bears (close to Lions, their D is VG, offense beginning to jell but need to see them play really good D to determine their actual ranking)
Packers - D is suspect against the Run and their O line has issues. Doubs has now created an issue in the locker room that will have see how it impacts the team. Overall no way this team is better than #'s 1 and 2- tough games against all 3 of those in NFC Central.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Into week 5 of the NFL regular season, having watched all NFC Central teams play the current ranking must be:
Vikings - undefeated and their D is playing at a high level while O finds ways to win with the best wr in the nfl
Lions - VG D, Goff is playing at a high level; will be an interesting game against Vikes
Bears (close to Lions, their D is VG, offense beginning to jell but need to see them play really good D to determine their actual ranking)
Packers - D is suspect against the Run and their O line has issues. Doubs has now created an issue in the locker room that will have see how it impacts the team. Overall no way this team is better than #'s 1 and 2- tough games against all 3 of those in NFC Central.
This is true. The team will have to raise its level of play and show SOME maturity.