Anders Carlson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Narveson hovered around 78% career in College.

I broke it down
<40 = 87.23%
40-49 = 81.25%
50+ 33.3%
(but made from 57,53,53,51)
196/196 from 20 yards

That seems to be close to an average NFL Kicker. Maybe a tad light % over 50+ but that all depends on the breakdown. Were his misses more from 52 yards or 58 yards. Makes a big difference

As an example Mason was 81.3% career. But at 55% 50+ tries

Masons career long was 58. Narveson hit a 59 yarder a few weeks ago.

Masons Season high in 2019 was
91.7% across 17 seasons (22/24)

Narvesons season high in 2020 was 92.9% across 4 seasons (13/14)

These are not the full picture. But it gives us something to chew on. I like to chew
Thanks OS. These stats are interesting. At first I was concerned with his overall college success rate of 78%. But as V noted the distances have to be considered. Hitting a 59 yarder, while just one kick, is a lot better than missing a 33 yard gimme.

We'll find out what he's got when the games count. I don't think Gluten had much choice but to make this move. IMO it was riskier keeping Carlson or Joseph than taking a chance on Naverson.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realized 2 days later that the article I had been referencing was old. :( My post had been replied to so many times deleting it would've done no good. Lesson learned...ALWAYS check date.
Heck I do that even if the article is fresh. When you get to my age, brain glitches are par for the course.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks OS. These stats are interesting. At first I was concerned with his overall college success rate of 78%. But as V noted the distances have to be considered. Hitting a 59 yarder, while just one kick, is a lot better than missing a 33 yard gimme.

We'll find out what he's got when the games count. I don't think Gluten had much choice but to make this move. IMO it was riskier keeping Carlson or Joseph the taking a chance on Naverson. As always, we'll see when the real games start on Sept 6.
I watched a tape of Naverson kicking. He has fluid hips, and doesn't need to put a huge whip on the ball to get it to travel longer distances. He has a strong leg. He could very well creep up to the 85-88% range in his kicks this year, and from what I've seen, he's going to do great with the new kickoff rules. Add to that, he has been Mr. Automatic on extra points, and you're looking at some strong potential there.

I feel a lot more comfortable with him back there at this point, than I would with any of the yahoos we've seen since Crosby. I'm going to try to enjoy watching this kid, because I think he has a leg to plant a decent percentage of those 50+ yard kicks between the goal posts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Realized 2 days later that the article I had been referencing was old. :( My post had been replied to so many times deleting it would've done no good. Lesson learned...ALWAYS check date.
It takes guts to admit a mistake rather than just deleting and hiding it. Good for you Pkr.

I don't know who got cut, but I'm sure Grupe or Lutz were on Gluten's radar. He went another route and chose Naverson. I'll always trust that Gluten's info is better than ours. We all hope Naverson is the real thing. We've been pretty spoiled with the last three kickers. This is new territory.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a tape of Naverson kicking. He has fluid hips, and doesn't need to put a huge whip on the ball to get it to travel longer distances. He has a strong leg. He could very well creep up to the 85-88% range in his kicks this year, and from what I've seen, he's going to do great with the new kickoff rules. Add to that, he has been Mr. Automatic on extra points, and you're looking at some strong potential there.

I feel a lot more comfortable with him back there at this point, than I would with any of the yahoos we've seen since Crosby. I'm going to try to enjoy watching this kid, because I think he has a leg to plant a decent percentage of those 50+ yard kicks between the goal posts.
Well said V. I only saw one pic of him kicking. But at 5'10" and 215 lbs, he looks like his weight is in his legs. It was only one picture. Kickers don't get timed in the 40 yard dash anyway.....

I give Gluten credit for the cutdowns and the changes he made after. He's willing to let go of draft picks rather than succumb to ego, and along with that he's willing to take calculated risks. Most decisions will probably be right, some will be wrong. In the NFL, as in life, progress is made by taking calculated risks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Not as much pressure in preseason games, but the fact that he was 6-7 on FG's, with his only miss being a 58 yarder and perfect on XP's, is a good sign. Throw-in that one of his makes was a 46 yard walk-off field goal against the Seahawks, which had to be his biggest pressure kick of the preseason (Titans were down by 2 points) and he must have a lot of confidence heading up to GB.

I still think that kicking is 75% physical/mechanics and 25% mental. Lets hope Naverson is 85-95% on FG's and 99% on EXP's this year.

The other plus with Naverson, if he works out, the Packers have him on a 3 year deal, @$945,000/year.

Reaction score
. Thinking Naverson will be better is more hopeful than it is certain. It also seems there was little to lose by taking Naverson.
Gutey was asked about that and said that same thing. Yet somehow this year he’s gambling a little more than typical. If he sees someone his gut is telling him is a potential upgrade, he’s just not being complacent.

For me I think he’s equal area to Carlson just looking across his College career. However Narveson seems to be rising? Carlson not so much. You know what they say… if you’re not getting better you’re getting worse.

Reaction score

We'll find out what he's got when the games count. I don't think Gluten had much choice but to make this move. IMO it was riskier keeping Carlson or Joseph than taking a chance on Naverson.
For what it’s worth. Brian said (I didn’t watch the game) that his 59 yarder was when the game was on the line.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when asked about Malik Willis, he mentioned the same thing. He said what he saw was Malik seemingly gets better under pressure. That and they see he can win with his Arm AND Legs. I think he’ll have a little more leash to use his legs than our typical guy. Maybe reading into that statement or forecasting.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot has been made of kicking at Mile High Stadium. I hope that does not make a difference to Naverson except maybe a couple of yards at distance. I don't know where he kicked in college. Anyway, the powers that be think he is our best option right now. Looking forward to seeing him kick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot has been made of kicking at Mile High Stadium. I hope that does not make a difference to Naverson except maybe a couple of yards at distance. I don't know where he kicked in college. Anyway, the powers that be think he is our best option right now. Looking forward to seeing him kick.
Naverson was with the Titans. Not even sure he has kicked at Mile High Stadium before? The Titans didn't play any preseason games there.

He will get to return to Tennessee for the week 3 game. :)

He kicked for 3 college teams:

Iowa State (2018–2019)
Western Kentucky (2020–2022)
NC State (2023)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's one situation where we need to trust Gluten, and I'd say he's easily earned that over the years. Just ironic that at both QB and K, the 4 guys who competed for almost 6 weeks are gone, replaced by 2 guys from the Titans.

And unless Narveson just falls flat on his face (unlikely), why not do it this way? Gluten knew what Joseph was. And maybe Carlson will be a good NFL kicker, but chances are better he won't. Anyway, I really liked the moves.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For what it’s worth. Brian said (I didn’t watch the game) that his 59 yarder was when the game was on the line.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when asked about Malik Willis, he mentioned the same thing. He said what he saw was Malik seemingly gets better under pressure. That and they see he can win with his Arm AND Legs. I think he’ll have a little more leash to use his legs than our typical guy. Maybe reading into that statement or forecasting.
He hit the 59 yarder with 7:53 left in the game. Whereas his 46 yarder was 7:50 seconds later and THAT was to win a game they were down by 2 at the time.

I really like what his kicking coach had to say about him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks.
I guess in my mind it takes a minute to get synchronized. IF we don’t keep Joseph on PS, then you start fresh in any scenario where we need a replacement K to step in.
I’m just not sure that’s a good idea to bring in someone completely new at Kicker, during a season that he could cost a game or two.

I don’t think holding Joseph on PS is a bad idea. Our 2 Kickers are already familiar with each other and it’s more subtle than going outside. That I think would mess with Carlson’s head more so than just holding Joseph in the shadows like we already are.
I just do not understand the logic of bringing in an undrafted free agent to kick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just do not understand the logic of bringing in an undrafted free agent to kick.
Most kickers start as UDFA's.

Many kickers that were drafted, end up not being that good either.

Seems like it's a crap shoot when it comes to kickers and the best odds are with the proven vets. The problem is finding one.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most kickers start as UDFA's.

Many kickers that were drafted, end up not being that good either.

Seems like it's a crap shoot when it comes to kickers and the best odds are with the proven vets. The problem is finding one.
The kid may make the HOF some day. But still he has never played in a regular season game. A lot of kickers have big legs nowadays. The pressure of being consistent and kicking in crunch time are much more difficult than preseason games or practices. How many games did we lose or potentially lose last season due to place kicking? We are headed to a foreign country with a wild crowd against one of the premier teams in the league. He will be very nervous.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid may make the HOF some day. But still he has never played in a regular season game. A lot of kickers have big legs nowadays.
Is having a big leg as important as it used to be? What with the new kickoff rules and all? I know you'd still like to be able to make long field goals, but wouldn't accuracy be a better skill to have? I guess I'm just asking if the new kickoff rules devalue a kicker with big legs at all?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is having a big leg as important as it used to be? What with the new kickoff rules and all? I know you'd still like to be able to make long field goals, but wouldn't accuracy be a better skill to have? I guess I'm just asking if the new kickoff rules devalue a kicker with big legs at all?
Good point, and there will be fewer long FG attempts nowadays, with teams frequently going for it on 4th down from the opponent's 40-45 yard line.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistently is most important. And being able to kick in harsh weather conditions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistently is most important. And being able to kick in harsh weather conditions.
Bill Bellichek made an interesting comment on the new KO rule. He said he'd kick it out of the end zone and let the opponent start at the 30. There are a lot of good returners and he'd rather not take a chance of kicking between the goal line and the 5 or 10 yard line. I don't know that I agree but it's an interesting point.

My guess is that against Nixon, most teams will try and kick out of the end zone. Well at least least with kickers capable of doing that.

Another thing to consider is that kickers are rarely asked to place a ball just inside the field of play. I'm sure some of them either are or will be good at this. As we've learned, each kicker is different.

If nothing else the rule adds a bit of excitement to an ordinarily dull play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Good point, and there will be fewer long FG attempts nowadays, with teams frequently going for it on 4th down from the opponent's 40-45 yard line.

I honestly don't think that the new kickoff rules change things much when it comes to what you want out of your Kicker. The kick is still coming from the 35, so you want a Kicker with a big enough leg to give you options.

Same with FG's. Yes, teams are going for it on 4th down more, but is it not just because the metrics say so, but they know that their kicker can't kick much past 50 yards? I also wouldn't want to be down by 2, with 3 seconds to go in the game and have to go for a hail Mary, because my kicker had a weak leg.

Yes, accuracy on XP's and FG's is the top priority with a kicker, but that didn't seem to keep Mason Crosby employed. Leg strength is still important.

The other factor in all this, that I think some of you are forgetting, the Packers are trying to make the best out of their available options, which weren't all that great of options. High percentage Kickers don't just grow on goalposts.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when he bangs a 64 yd game winner Packer Nation will embrace him. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen to that! A "big leg" is always valuable, and if the kicker can also be accurate on any kick, well that's even more valuable.

Interesting article in jsonline today, an interview with Gluten and he talks about why he selected Narveson, when there were other guys available. A good read overall on Gluten's perspective on the team.

I don't watch much PS football so really haven't paid much attention to the new KO rules. It looks weird, but I guess we'll all see how it plays out in real games. The Packers have one of the best, if not the best kickoff returners in Nixon. I hope the rule changes help, but the games will answer that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yup, up until the moment he doinks a short one off the left upright.

Fans are pretty finicky about their kickers, if you ask me. Which also can add just that much more pressure to each and every kick.

It isn't like Rodgers or Favre badly missed passes in their careers.

Members online

Latest posts