Anders Carlson

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but a player doesn't have to clear waivers to be put on the Practice Squad from the 53.

At least for the cut to the initial 53, they do indeed have to clear waivers. At least those who are subjected to waivers. Anders is, Joesph is not.

EDIT:

Additionally, allowing players to sign elsewhere is the proper move for the player. The MINIMUM NFL salary is $795,000 a year for a 1st year player (it goes up from there.) The MAXIMUM a PS player can make is $21,300 per week or $383,400 for an 18 week season.

Letting the player sign with another team is the correct thing to do by the player. Both even the PS salary is a lot of money, but it's a poor move to limit a player less than half of what they could make after you decide they aren't good enough to be on your 53.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems a bad situation. But I would go with Joseph. I like the way he looks actually. Or maybe Carlson just makes him look good. Minnesota cut him but knew they were replacing him with some super kicker I believe. People have said that Joseph has a much weaker leg than Carlson. Didn't look like it on the long kick each of them had. And Joseph has made a 62 yarder I think in a game. So he has some distance.
In answer to Pokerbrat. Forgot to reply.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least for the cut to the initial 53, they do indeed have to clear waivers. At least those who are subjected to waivers. Anders is, Joesph is not.
That is why I said "from the 53".

Gute and the Packers want to protect 53 guys tomorrow, the top 53 players. Yes, you have to pay attention to position and make sure you have enough depth at each position. However, in the case of K and possibly even backup QB, I'm not so sure I would use 2 of those 53 spots on the 4 guys vying for those 2 positions.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is why I said "from the 53".

Naw, same thing. You have to cut players before they can make it to the PS, period. The only vague exception to this is if you promote them/bring them up from the PS for their 3 games, though I'd argue they never left the PS in that case.

If the cut players are subjected to waivers, they have to clear before they can be signed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Naw, same thing. You have to cut players before they can make it to the PS, period. The only vague exception to this is if you promote them/bring them up from the PS for their 3 games, though I'd argue they never left the PS in that case.

If the cut players are subjected to waivers, they have to clear before they can be signed.
Thanks for the correction

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the prospects on any other team would be any better. We are facing a cutdown day decision because neither of our kickers has stepped up but neither one has folded either. Any other team that will be making a similar decision at this point will be in the same boat. Will the guy they decide to cut, be any better than the one we decide to keep? I doubt it. Kickers are like starting QBs. 1/3 are firmly entrenched. Another 1/3 are safe from scrutiny ( at least in the short term) and the final third are a bad performance or two away from being replaced. The difference is a starting QB will be demoted with a chance to possibly win his job back while the kicker will be unemployed. Any of our choices at this point are in the final 1/3 category.

Lets face it, when our choices at this point are Carlson, Joseph, or some other team's castoff no matter who we choose he is probably going to cost us a game or two.
unless the pack gets Robbie Gould outta retirement;)

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably an honest to god 1/3 of people here were calling Love a bust halfway through last year so people proclaiming Anders will cost us 2 games? Meh… No kicker COSTS their team a game. Bunch of other people had poor plays to let it get to that point. Im sure he’s doing the best he can. If we can find better? Bring him in - its a freaking kicker. Play football - keep the game off the FG kickers foot

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably an honest to god 1/3 of people here were calling Love a bust halfway through last year so people proclaiming Anders will cost us 2 games? Meh… No kicker COSTS their team a game. Bunch of other people had poor plays to let it get to that point. Im sure he’s doing the best he can. If we can find better? Bring him in - its a freaking kicker. Play football - keep the game off the FG kickers foot
Some wanted to see what we had in Clifford that he was our best option.

Shouldn't rely on a kicker, I agree with you. But if you have to it is nice to know you can. I think Anders may become a great kicker, but he isn't at the moment. Not sure what I would do if I was in Gutes shoes. Maybe find a decent veteran and keep Anders on the PS.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone did take one of them; i'd bet it would be Joseph. And then we would have Anders. Who has never been very good in college or the pros. The naysayers have so far been proven right in thinking that was a weird draft pick.
Seems like it's always risky using a draft pick on a K. It's only on rare occasions that a guy will clearly make it in the pros. Wasn't the MI kicker taken early last year, or this year? I only remember this in passing, but I'm sure he was with MI.

I thought the kicker from Oakland who had a great career was also drafted early. And now I can't think of his name.

Anyway, few Ks are drafted. Better to go the UDFA route and have guys compete in camp. It's still pretty much a gamble - finding a solid K.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I misread, yeah traded not released. In other news I confirmed we have made a trade for a QB :)
Yeah Gluten traded a 2025 7th rounder for a guy from the Titans who apparently lost the BU job to Mason Rudolph, while they give Will Levis the start.

His name is Malik Willis, 3rd round pick in 2022 but never caught on. I imagine they'll keep Clifford for at least a week or two until Willis learns the playbook in a crash course. Pratt will be released. Eventually they'll waive Clifford and put him, or someone else, on the PS.

I'm disappointed Clifford didn't improve. He looked like the real deal as a rookie. Just never got better, and Pratt disappointed.

One problem solved, kind of. One problem to go.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... our choices at the moment besides Carlson and Joseph seem to be Lucas Havrisik and Spencer Schrader. It looks like they are the only two kickers cut so far.
Saints kicking battle is Blake Grupe trying to unseat Will Lutz (7 yrs in NO). Both perfect in preseason except Grupe just missed a 60yd wide right this past weekend. Will require a 6th for their 7th swap to NO for whichever they don't keep.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shouldn't rely on a kicker, I agree with you. But if you have to it is nice to know you can.

I've never understood the argument "You shouldn't have to rely on a kicker to win a game." That is right up there with "You shouldn't have to rely on a 2 minute drive to win a game." Yes, the game is 60 minutes long and a great team would score every time they touch the ball and make it impossible for the other team to win. However, that isn't reality. Quite often a game is decided in the last 2 minutes. Quite often a game is decided by a last second FG. Quite often a game is decided by 3 points or less. Quite often a game is decided on a missed FG and/or XP.

So for those saying "Kickers don't matter", you really don't understand Football do you?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints kicking battle is Blake Grupe trying to unseat Will Lutz (7 yrs in NO). Both perfect in preseason except Grupe just missed a 60yd wide right this past weekend. Will require a 6th for their 7th swap to NO for whichever they don't keep.
Well just by the numbers, either of these guys is superior to Carlson and Joseph. Carlson and Joseph will likely be 80% career FG kickers, and that's just not good enough. 85% doesn't sound like a huge difference, but it is.

The Packers's schedule this year looks harder than last year, meaning closer games. These games could easily be decided by the kicking game. I won't be surprised if Gluten picks up a K after cutdowns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well just by the numbers, either of these guys is superior to Carlson and Joseph. Carlson and Joseph will likely be 80% career FG kickers, and that's just not good enough. 85% doesn't sound like a huge difference, but it is.
"By the numbers"??

- Grupe was 30-37 (81.1%) in his only season. He missed 2 in the 20-29 yard range, 2 in the 40-49 range and the other 3 in 50+ range.

- Anders was 27-33 (81.8%). Anders was perfect on FG's inside of 40 (20-20).

So as far as FG's go, I am not sure where you are coming up with your analogy or the 85% you give Grupe credit for.

Now XP's, yeah, for me that is a worry with Carlson. Not sure why, but he missed 5 (34-39) last season. Whereas Grupe was a perfect 40-40.

I also think it is WAY too early to assign career kicking %'s to either Carlson or Grupe. "By the numbers", 1 or 2 made kicks, just to start the season, will change those "career %'s".

Reaction score
You know Mason Crosby is just shaking his head right now. It’s a lesson in the grass isn’t always greener. Kickers are good to go until about their mid 40’s with little ti zero dropoff. Might’ve jumped the gun here. In hindsight, Should’ve waited a Round and stashed Carlson on PS a year or two until he was ready. Im about 75% certain Crosby resigns for $2m + 500K in incentives on a year by year offer. I’m fully aware it’s hindsight! but we draft and develop everyone else why is it different at Kicker?
I have no idea what we’re doing with Carlson but we’d better have a solid backup strategy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That last shank against the Ravens likely sealed his fate.

The kid has talent, but he cannot be relied on. Green Bay is committed to winning now, and they can't afford to wait on a developmental kicker or backup QB...Moving on from Carlson & Clifford were the logical moves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts