2024 Badgers Football

What will the Badgers Football win total be this season?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Yeah, I posted about his loss last week. ;)

Definitely one of their best players on defense and a guy some were saying could potentially play himself into being a first round pick.

This goes back to last season too, the energy level that the defense plays at just seems down. How many Badger linebackers have gone Pro in the last 10 or so years? Seems like every season, there were 1 or 2 LB's that just came out of nowhere. Leonhard was there for 7 seasons and brought a ton of energy on the sidelines. I can't help but think losing him was a bigger blow to the defense than we know. I said it after the game, Tressle's defenses thus far are totally uninspiring to me. I really hope that changes, because if it doesn't, this team is going to have a long season.
I actually think it has way more to do with the players talent than losing a coach. They are very thin on DL and LB. Secondary is solid, but that won't make up for the lack of talent on the front seven. Western Michigan averaged 5 ypc. The DL is lacking big time talent. It is on the way in some recruits, but won't help this year. Alabama averaged 9 ypc on Saturday. Wonder how that will work out against them. :unsure:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I actually think it has way more to do with the players talent than losing a coach. They are very thin on DL and LB. Secondary is solid, but that won't make up for the lack of talent on the front seven. Western Michigan averaged 5 ypc. The DL is lacking big time talent. It is on the way in some recruits, but won't help this year. Alabama averaged 9 ypc on Saturday. Wonder how that will work out against them. :unsure:
Could be the lack of talent, but they still aren't playing with a lot of fire.

One of the biggest highlights was Freshman CB Xavier Lucas's interception. The kid is going to be really good. He only played 7 snaps on Friday, but I think we will see more of him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The stench of this program is overwhelming for me. We look soft and weak on both sides of the ball. I think it's reflective of the entire coaching staff. I expect to see more of this when we face Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Oregon and Nebraska. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Way to represent guys... then again, you were playing a professional team

Tough day for Bucky no doubt. While I didn't really expect a W, I also didn't expect to lose our starting QB on the first series. I doubt they win with Van ****, but it would have been a more competitive game. Alabama looked like a top 4 team and the Badgers looked like they often do against a better team, over matched in just about every phase of the game.

No news on Van ****'s knee, but the way he looked and the way Fickell talked about him after the game, I am guessing they fear the worse and he tore an ACL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Poor guy, first he tears his knee up and then the censors on this site won't allow me to mention his last name. Might have to refer to him as Tyler Van Likes Women?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what happens when one school has a higher standard for acedemics and the other has lower standard

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
The stench of this program is overwhelming for me. We look soft and weak on both sides of the ball. I think it's reflective of the entire coaching staff. I expect to see more of this when we face Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Oregon and Nebraska. It's a very sad state of affairs.
They very well could lose these games. I think they beat Illinois though. Nebraska looks the role right now, but they haven't played anyone. I agree they have not looked good in the 3 games they have played this season and they were completely overmatched against Alabama. I don't think they get blown out like that again this season. Iowa can't score, Penn St. almost lost to Bowling Green, and Oregon almost lost to Idaho. They're not national contenders, but they have time to fix some issues. We will see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was a hard game to watch, especially after Van ****'s injury, which was pretty much the whole game. Would they have beat Bama with their starting QB? No, but I think they would have made it closer. Having your starting QB get knocked out of a game tends to take the wind out of everyone's sail.

For me, it is hard to rate the talent of the Badgers, because quite honestly I think the OC and DC aren't doing their jobs. Now maybe neither have enough talent on either side of the ball, but they both play way too conservative of football for my liking. I can't tell you how many times I watched the Badger offense lineup and even I knew where that ball was going. The defense appears to be playing on their heels, waiting for the ball to come at them.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
That was a hard game to watch, especially after Van ****'s injury, which was pretty much the whole game. Would they have beat Bama with their starting QB? No, but I think they would have made it closer. Having your starting QB get knocked out of a game tends to take the wind out of everyone's sail.
I don't disagree that keeping Van D in there would have helped. Now, Locke almost won the job, so he isn't a huge downgrade. However, he didn't prepare as the starter and struggled when he got in. He did seem to settle down as the game went. It's a tough ask to come off the bench cold against Alabama. I don't think all is lost at the QB position just yet. I'm willing to give Locke a chance before hitting the panic button.
For me, it is hard to rate the talent of the Badgers, because quite honestly I think the OC and DC aren't doing their jobs. Now maybe neither have enough talent on either side of the ball, but they both play way too conservative of football for my liking. I can't tell you how many times I watched the Badger offense lineup and even I knew where that ball was going. The defense appears to be playing on their heels, waiting for the ball to come at them.
They are definitely lacking talent. Blame it on what you want, Chryst, lack of funding, transfer portal, whatever, they don't have the talent to complete on the national stage. With that said, Fickell has done a good job filling the pipeline for the future. I said this before, but it's going to take till 2027 at least to see any type of turnaround. That doesn't necessarily mean that a change at OC and DC won't happen. They might make some changes there. In the same respect, it's hard to coach when you don't have the horses. Defense especially is lacking talent and they lost their one stud DL before the season started.

I'm not as doom and gloom as some. Obviously, Alabama is and was a much more talented team. Any mistake made, Alabama is making you pay. Take away the couple fumbles and the missed FG I think the final score is not so lopsided. I did see some good things. A 16 play drive ending with a TD at least shows they were still playing. Take the good with the bad I guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not as doom and gloom as some. Obviously, Alabama is and was a much more talented team. Any mistake made, Alabama is making you pay. Take away the couple fumbles and the missed FG I think the final score is not so lopsided. I did see some good things. A 16 play drive ending with a TD at least shows they were still playing. Take the good with the bad I guess.

Oh I don't think the program is dying a slow death, but I don't think this season and probably not even next, folks should get their hopes up for a top 10 team. If Fickell is the great recruiter that he is known to be AND they can compete with NIL money, then yes, eventually he will be surrounded by ALL his recruits. Those 2 factors now go hand in hand and I think it will be the lack of competing for NIL money that may keep the Badgers from every being a top 10 team.

As far at the OC and DC, the Badgers have struggled to find a consistent offense for years. Most of that had to do with not have a quality QB or the OL got so banged up, the running game suffered. However, I have never seen the Defense look this bad. Maybe it's personnel, but I have my eye on Mike Tressel.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
Oh I don't think the program is dying a slow death, but I don't think this season and probably not even next, folks should get their hopes up for a top 10 team. If Fickell is the great recruiter that he is known to be AND they can compete with NIL money, then yes, eventually he will be surrounded by ALL his recruits. Those 2 factors now go hand in hand and I think it will be the lack of competing for NIL money that may keep the Badgers from every being a top 10 team.

As far at the OC and DC, the Badgers have struggled to find a consistent offense for years. Most of that had to do with not have a quality QB or the OL got so banged up, the running game suffered. However, I have never seen the Defense look this bad. Maybe it's personnel, but I have my eye on Mike Tressel.
The defensive line is pretty bad, or maybe say average at best. They only have a couple studs. One in Wohler and another in Hallman. Leon Lowery at LB has actually looked pretty good too. Jake Chaney is a solid player. Beyond that, it's hard to even name guys on the defense. Let alone a D-lineman. If you ever watch "Locked on Badgers", or similar podcasts, they knew DL was going to be an issue. A very thin and weak spot on the team. It really puts the DC in a tough spot. I don't know much about Mike Tressel beyond his connections with his dad and Ohio St. It's hard for me to blast coaches when they are working with sublevel talent.

One thing I think people can make an argument about is the identity of the team. Maybe even say that there is a lack of fire. I personally think that we have to give it time. I think the program was in worse shape than we thought. The AD and coaches have their work cut out for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The defensive line is pretty bad, or maybe say average at best. They only have a couple studs. One in Wohler and another in Hallman. Leon Lowery at LB has actually looked pretty good too. Jake Chaney is a solid player. Beyond that, it's hard to even name guys on the defense. Let alone a D-lineman. If you ever watch "Locked on Badgers", or similar podcasts, they knew DL was going to be an issue. A very thin and weak spot on the team. It really puts the DC in a tough spot. I don't know much about Mike Tressel beyond his connections with his dad and Ohio St. It's hard for me to blast coaches when they are working with sublevel talent.

One thing I think people can make an argument about is the identity of the team. Maybe even say that there is a lack of fire. I personally think that we have to give it time. I think the program was in worse shape than we thought. The AD and coaches have their work cut out for them.

Good points. The defense definitely lacks the "fire" that I am used to seeing out of it. Now some of that might have been the players, but I think a lot came from Leonhard himself. Before Leonhard you had Aranda, who in my opinion should have been given the HC job over Paul Chryst back in 2015.

That said, I agree with you that fans need to be more patient in year 2 under Fickell. Not only a new HC and staff, but new NIL and transfer portal rules, which have really changed the dynamics of not just recruiting, but retention of players.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
Good points. The defense definitely lacks the "fire" that I am used to seeing out of it. Now some of that might have been the players, but I think a lot came from Leonhard himself. Before Leonhard you had Aranda, who in my opinion should have been given the HC job over Paul Chryst back in 2015.
Totally agree with this. Problem is, even if they wanted Aranda back at this time they didn't pay coaches like they are paying the staff that is currently there.