Anders Carlson

Reaction score
I've never understood the argument "You shouldn't have to rely on a kicker to win a game." That is right up there with "You shouldn't have to rely on a 2 minute drive to win a game." Yes, the game is 60 minutes long and a great team would score every time they touch the ball and make it impossible for the other team to win. However, that isn't reality. Quite often a game is decided in the last 2 minutes. Quite often a game is decided by a last second FG. Quite often a game is decided by 3 points or less. Quite often a game is decided on a missed FG and/or XP.

So for those saying "Kickers don't matter", you really don't understand Football do you?
I 100% agree. I personally put a higher value than many at K and QB2. Which is why I like the Willis signing. Might not be an immediate or substantial upgrade, but I think he’s still a tick above either Clifford or Pratt, within Weeks not Months. Heck maybe already.
I suppose if we were in a more rebuild mode (projected to win 5-6 games etc) I wouldn’t expect as much from our Placekickers. We’re more in that 10+ Win mode and then those key positions could make or break a season. I’m quite sure Kicker is now our top priority. I’m also about 60% we bring in another Option.

I now have our ideal additions (places I’d be excited with a Solid Veteran Added)
K1
perimeter CB3-4

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That last shank against the Ravens likely sealed his fate.

The kid has talent, but he cannot be relied on. Green Bay is committed to winning now, and they can't afford to wait on a developmental kicker or backup QB...Moving on from Carlson & Clifford were the logical moves.

I was wondering that myself. I kind of doubt it was just that 1 kick. Since even had he made that short FG, I doubt the Packers were all that set on him or Joseph. Afterall, how many kickers have they tried in the last 5 or so months?

I'm also not convinced that Carlson's career is over, nor that his time in GB is done. Still thinking Joseph's job isn't safe today, nor in 11 days.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. I kind of doubt it was just that 1 kick. Since even had he made that short FG, I doubt the Packers were all that set on him or Joseph. Afterall, how many kickers have they tried in the last 5 or so months?

I'm also not convinced that Carlson's career is over, nor that his time in GB is done. Still thinking Joseph's job isn't safe today, nor in 11 days.
I'm sure it wasn't just one kick also, but that may have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It was confirmation that he still has not mastered consistency.

If this was a year in which Green Bay didn't have any realistic expectations, they might have put up with him for one more season in the hopes that he would figure it out. That is not the situation in Titletown this year, however.

I hope he gets another shot somewhere. For the Pack, however, it was time to move on.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anders being cut is a good development. Maybe in three years he will be worth bringing back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know Mason Crosby is just shaking his head right now. It’s a lesson in the grass isn’t always greener.
It's easy to think that this was just a move to a younger kicker, but don't forget we were in cap hell from Rodgers/Bahktiari and others. We also were moving on from Crosby's cap number. This was all part of Gutekunst's overall plan. Of course, things don't always go according to plan.

Anders being cut is a good development. Maybe in three years he will be worth bringing back.
If I were Carlson, I wouldn't go crawling back to the team that didn't have faith in me. I'd sign to the Bears/Lions/Vikings so that I could kick game winners against Green Bay year after year. That's all assuming that he actually gets the yips out of his kicks.

Reaction score
Confucius say.
Sometimes the best 2 steps forward can be seen from 1 step back
(Chinese gong heard in background)

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Carlson, I wouldn't go crawling back to the team that didn't have faith in me. I'd sign to the Bears/Lions/Vikings so that I could kick game winners against Green Bay year after year. That's all assuming that he actually gets the yips out of his kicks.

Very few kickers in the NFL are good enough to choose their destination. And I don't see Carlson ever being one of those kickers. They take a contract from any team offering a roster spot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That last shank against the Ravens likely sealed his fate.

The kid has talent, but he cannot be relied on. Green Bay is committed to winning now, and they can't afford to wait on a developmental kicker or backup QB...Moving on from Carlson & Clifford were the logical moves.
I think you're right. That was an awful kick, and given the import of that game, just a mistake Carlson can't make.

It will be interesting if they stick with Joseph, or find a guy after today.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know Mason Crosby is just shaking his head right now. It’s a lesson in the grass isn’t always greener. Kickers are good to go until about their mid 40’s with little ti zero dropoff. Might’ve jumped the gun here. In hindsight, Should’ve waited a Round and stashed Carlson on PS a year or two until he was ready. Im about 75% certain Crosby resigns for $2m + 500K in incentives on a year by year offer. I’m fully aware it’s hindsight! but we draft and develop everyone else why is it different at Kicker?
I have no idea what we’re doing with Carlson but we’d better have a solid backup strategy.
Speaking of Crosby, what is he doing these days?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Very few kickers in the NFL are good enough to choose their destination. And I don't see Carlson ever being one of those kickers. They take a contract from any team offering a roster spot.
Agree.

The only kickers that have some flex in teams are FA vet kickers, that have at some point proven their value. Neither Carlson or really Joseph have done that. That doesn't mean they won't get another chance, I just doubt they will have very many suitors.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah; great point. Because if they're in a position to shop around for teams, it's because they're out of work, and if an NFL kicker is out of work, it's because their last team didn't feel they could count on them. Like most NFL kickers, Carlson isn't gonna look out his window tomorrow morning and wonder why there's such a long line of people waiting patienly on the sidewalk for him to wake up.

Good ones dont get cut. The get extended.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Carlson would be back unless he looked like Superman out there this preseason. He missed the big kick, and that's something haunting LeFleur at this point. He had to lose confidence in him, and I'd guess he kept after Gute about it.

Yet, they got nowhere on it, because they've seemed to have had this "someone good will fall in our lap. Count on it!", attitude. Now it's bit them in the keester.

I have a hunch, that even though Joseph has the job, he'd be better off not taking any long term lease on digs, because he could come into work on any given day, and find a fresh face there waiting to challenge him, and he could be Ubered to the airport within a couple of hours. It's not a situation that will instill confidence in Joseph, and that won't make him better, it will more likely make him choke at some point along the way.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Carlson would be back unless he looked like Superman out there this preseason. He missed the big kick, and that's something haunting LeFleur at this point. He had to lose confidence in him, and I'd guess he kept after Gute about it.

Yet, they got nowhere on it, because they've seemed to have had this "someone good will fall in our lap. Count on it!", attitude. Now it's bit them in the keester.

I have a hunch, that even though Joseph has the job, he'd be better off not taking any long term lease on digs, because he could come into work on any given day, and find a fresh face there waiting to challenge him, and he could be Ubered to the airport within a couple of hours. It's not a situation that will instill confidence in Joseph, and that won't make him better, it will more likely make him choke at some point along the way.
I'm afraid you're right. Seems very likely they'll take a long look in the next few days at guys who were cut yesterday. Pkrjones wrote that NO had two guys, Grupe and Lutz who were perfect in the preseason. That's just the preseason. I don't know who got cut by NO, but I'm sure that guy is or will be in GB, along with others.

Still seems likely that Joseph will start the season with the Packers. One week and preseason tape would be all the Packers have to go on with another K before they leave for São Paulo.

Bottom line, they gambled on Anders and lost, or at least went in another direction.

Reaction score
I have a hunch Narverson is going to do a decent job for the Packers. I think they may have pulled a rabbit out of a hat.
I agree. Narveson hovered around 78% career in College.

I broke it down
<40 = 87.23%
40-49 = 81.25%
50+ 33.3%
(but made from 57,53,53,51)
196/196 from 20 yards

That seems to be close to an average NFL Kicker. Maybe a tad light % over 50+ but that all depends on the breakdown. Were his misses more from 52 yards or 58 yards. Makes a big difference

As an example Mason was 81.3% career. But at 55% 50+ tries

Masons career long was 58. Narveson hit a 59 yarder a few weeks ago.

Masons Season high in 2019 was
91.7% across 17 seasons (22/24)

Narvesons season high in 2020 was 92.9% across 4 seasons (13/14)

These are not the full picture. But it gives us something to chew on. I like to chew

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Narveson hovered around 78% career in College.

I broke it down
<40 = 87.23%
40-49 = 81.25%
50+ 33.3%
(but made from 57,53,53,51)
196/196 from 20 yards

That seems to be close to an average NFL Kicker. Maybe a tad light % over 50+ but that all depends on the breakdown. Were his misses more from 52 yards or 58 yards. Makes a big difference

As an example Mason was 81.3% career. But at 55% 50+ tries

Masons career long was 58. Narveson hit a 59 yarder a few weeks ago.
Yes. The distances do effect the percentages, but so many people don't see it, so don't understand it. Good to point out!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if I were in his situation, I would be more upset with myself than the Packers. If he had performed, he'd still be here.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints kicking battle is Blake Grupe trying to unseat Will Lutz (7 yrs in NO). Both perfect in preseason except Grupe just missed a 60yd wide right this past weekend. Will require a 6th for their 7th swap to NO for whichever they don't keep.
Wil Lutz has been with Denver since 2023.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if I were in his situation, I would be more upset with myself than the Packers. If he had performed, he'd still be here.
Agreed.

It looks like Naverson was a decent pickup, meaning only he has a chance at success in the NFL. Nothing he did in the PS with the Titans disqualifies him or raises red flags. Well, other than the fact that he's a rookie and he'll have to prove himself in regular season and playoff games. That's still a big hill to climb. Considering the situation, Gluten did well to find him.

I'll always wonder if Carlson would have made the cut if he hadn't sliced that 33 yarder so badly. Doesn't matter. He just couldn't get the yips under control and that miss put an exclamation point on his experience in the NFL. Thinking Naverson will be better is more hopeful than it is certain. It also seems there was little to lose by taking Naverson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts