Brayden Narveson

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I think that was is interesting is that we brought Alex Hale back onto the practice squad. They could have brought Carlson back if they believed that he was going to improve. I fully understand that we get a roster exception for Hale because he's an international player but...

Carlson hit 82% of his kicks in camp (he hit 82% last season for Green Bay)
Joseph hit 78% of his kicks in camp (he hit 80% last season for Minnesota)
Hale hit 66% of his kicks in camp (he hit 80% last season for Oklahoma St)
If Nev Dawg, that's his new nickname, fails. They can always bring those guys back in. One or both will be available.

Reaction score
I think that was is interesting is that we brought Alex Hale back onto the practice squad. They could have brought Carlson back if they believed that he was going to improve. I fully understand that we get a roster exception for Hale because he's an international player but...

Carlson hit 82% of his kicks in camp (he hit 82% last season for Green Bay)
Joseph hit 78% of his kicks in camp (he hit 80% last season for Minnesota)
Hale hit 66% of his kicks in camp (he hit 80% last season for Oklahoma St)
While that may be true, I just looked up his Preseason (when you’ve got more legitimate game pressure) and he was sinking. Including missing his very last kick from 32 yards.

Here we can see that Carlson was 75.0% FG with an average of 44 yards

Narveson is ascending. 6/7 85% FG
2/2 XPM. His only miss in Preseason was from 58 yards. He actually made a 59 yarder the week earlier to win the game.

Reaction score
Now I don’t claim to say Narveson is some Pro bowl Kicker or anything like that. However if all things are relatively equal, give me the guy who’s ascending, who’s more consistent from short range and has the best long range in a pinch. I actually believe that if we were at their 45 yard line with :03 on the clock? He could 30-40% hit a FG from 62 yards out. MUCH better chance than a Hail Mary.

Against Seattle 2 weeks ago? Narveson hit on back to back tries. He hit from 59 yards to close the score to 12-14. Then his next attempt was from 46 yards. Nailed it with no time n regulation. Tennessee 16 Seattle 15

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Against Seattle 2 weeks ago? Narveson hit on back to back tries. He hit from 59 yards to close the score to 12-14. Then his next attempt was from 46 yards. Nailed it with no time n regulation. Tennessee 16 Seattle 15
I'm curious how Seattle scored one point in this scenario. Those typos will getcha.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
It appeared to me on that 59 yarder Narveson was about 2-3 feet inside the crossbar + 4-5 yards PAST the crossbar. It appeared the guy in the photo with the ❌ on his back caught the Kick on the fly. Hes a good ways back too. That kick imo makes it from 62-63 maybe maybe 64 yards That’s a big time Kick right there.

So that’s why I say Narveson at least appears to be an ascending Kicker. Other than that I’d submit he’s about equal to Carlson as far as big picture.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm curious how Seattle scored one point in this scenario. Those typos will getcha.
Thanks Poppa so.. Correction. In the photo it was 10-12. So the Kick clearly made it Tenn 13-12
Not 14-12. Either way Tennessee finished with a W.
Id submit we got us a “W” !! I see a lot of smiling faces in that crowd I don’t recall seeing that this year with Carlson. If anything fans were fidgeting or biting their nails or poking Voo Doo Dolls maybe on their knees begging God to intervene! (I know because I was in that group!) :roflmao:

We’ve got something better. We’ve got a ship to hop on
(“The Narveson”) that isn’t on fire. Let’s get the heck off the Carlson ship!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's just a little off topic but interesting nonetheless. And to your point 13, I doubt that many college grads have a passport when they finish school. There are a few exceptions, kids certainly travel internationally on occasion.

And while a visa can be expedited (although that took me two weeks for Brazil), a passport is a different matter. No matter. My guess is that where enough money is involved, almost anything is possible.
I hate the Visa bit. I loved the good old passport days. I had one that looked like luggage going around the world, with so many stamps. Now? I don't even have a valid one. I need to get one so I can go to Mexico and enjoy the $2 margaritas and great Mexican dinners.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I thought I'd google "brayden narveson passport". The first hit that came back from Google is apparently a quote from someone who's part of the Green Bay Packer ownership group, apparently expressing concern that Narverson mignt not be up to date on his documentation -

Renowned internet expert

This guy sounds like someone who knows what he's talking about, and is apparently regarded by the other members of the ownership group as someone whose thoughts and opinions carry a lot of weight.
I'm guessing nobody clicked on the URL to read the top-ranked comment on Google from the famous internet expert. Too bad; he seems like someone with an interesting point of view!

Reaction score
From Packers.com

“The sample size has been small over the past week but promising. Narveson has already kicked twice, starting with last Thursday's night practice inside a blustery Lambeau Field.
Narveson reports he went 5-for-5 with a make from 58 yards. He also drilled home first kicks from 48 and 56, both into the wind. Narveson said he kicked six more times during team periods on Sunday, going 5-of-6 with a miss from 51 but a make from 53.”

If these numbers are accurate, since coming to GB his first Kicks (Thursday-Sunday) in a scrimmage or team periods are
10/11 (90.91%)
His only miss was from 51
He made 53,56,58 yarders

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Packers.com

“The sample size has been small over the past week but promising. Narveson has already kicked twice, starting with last Thursday's night practice inside a blustery Lambeau Field.
Narveson reports he went 5-for-5 with a make from 58 yards. He also drilled home first kicks from 48 and 56, both into the wind. Narveson said he kicked six more times during team periods on Sunday, going 5-of-6 with a miss from 51 but a make from 53.”

If these numbers are accurate, since coming to GB his first Kicks (Thursday-Sunday) in a scrimmage or team periods are
10/11 (90.91%)
His only miss was from 51
He made 53,56,58 yarders
Here's a cool stat:

In college, Narveson was 196 out of 196 on extra points. No misses.

If he can do that in Green Bay, it's already an upgrade.

Reaction score
Here's a cool stat:

In college, Narveson was 196 out of 196 on extra points. No misses.

If he can do that in Green Bay, it's already an upgrade.

thank you.
Just touting but on point #5. The longest FG in program history was his 56 yarder against at Duke. He just came in the NFL as a Rookie He made back to back Kicks to beat Seattle this Preseason 48,59.
He already topped both his College career high (58) and his College teams Program Record (56)

The 59 yarder above was the #2 longest made FG in the ‘24 Preseason.
(Shout out to #1 Aubrey from Dallas throttling a 66 yarder!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
We really can’t fault Tennessee for cutting Narveson either. Placekicker, Nick Folk, was the #1 most accurate Kicker in 2023 (10 FG minimum). Nick Folk went 29/30 and him and Texan’s K Fairbairn were the only two Kickers to miss only 1 FG all 2023 season.
We got one of the best Rookie Kickers and didn’t even spend a draft pick! WE just quietly got our Rookie UDFA onto the 53 through the back door!

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We Poached the Titans backups
Kicker and QB.

Thank You Tennessee for doing all the heavy lifting!

I thought coming into camp GB had three question marks: Back-up QB, kicker, and swing tackle.

Andre Dillard seems to have settled the latter, but the other two were still not resolved after the pre-season. Hopefully they are now.

Time will tell.

Krabs

Reaction score
So, again, I don't see Narv Dawg as that big a risk. I highly doubt anyone picked up Joseph or Carlson. If Narv stinks they can just bring one of those two back. Not optimal by any means, but I liked the move. Imagine a game where the Pack is down 2 or 3 points and we trot out Carlson. I think his confidence is already shot and the fans reaction would be "oh s**t, here we go". With Narv Dawg, it's at least a more positive situation at this point. There's hope in him. Not so much in Joseph or Carlson.

Reaction score
So, again, I don't see Narv Dawg as that big a risk. I highly doubt anyone picked up Joseph or Carlson. If Narv stinks they can just bring one of those two back. Not optimal by any means, but I liked the move. Imagine a game where the Pack is down 2 or 3 points and we trot out Carlson. I think his confidence is already shot and the fans reaction would be "oh s**t, here we go". With Narv Dawg, it's at least a more positive situation at this point. There's hope in him. Not so much in Joseph or Carlson.
Narv Dawg? I like it!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will soon find out. I do not expect the Eagle game to come down to placekicking but then I did not expect the SF game to be that. But the 9ers kicker made his crucial FG. Ours did not.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will soon find out. I do not expect the Eagle game to come down to placekicking but then I did not expect the SF game to be that. But the 9ers kicker made his crucial FG. Ours did not.

If the Packers had Joseph , a veteran, on their roster for game one, they would have been obliged to pay him for the entire season, whether they cut him later or not. That's not the case with Narveson...If he proves not to be the guy, they can cut him and move on to someone else.

It's still about the Benjamins.

Krabs

Reaction score
If the Packers had Joseph , a veteran, on their roster for game one, they would have been obliged to pay him for the entire season, whether they cut him later or not. That's not the case with Narveson...If he proves not to be the guy, they can cut him and move on to someone else.

You spelled Narv Dawg wrong.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And that I suspect weighs in with the risks. I felt Joseph would make the very makeable kicks and the PATS. Carlson, not so much. At least we can predict that if the kicking goes south early or often a change will be made. Last year we never really saw that happening. I guess since the team as a whole was in rebuild with numerous growing pains we thought of Carlson being just another one in 2023. This year if your team is showing growth and progress you hate to see them looking at a mediocre record because one guy cannot make kicks.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that I suspect weighs in with the risks. I felt Joseph would make the very makeable kicks and the PATS. Carlson, not so much. At least we can predict that if the kicking goes south early or often a change will be made. Last year we never really saw that happening. I guess since the team as a whole was in rebuild with numerous growing pains we thought of Carlson being just another one in 2023. This year if your team is showing growth and progress you hate to see them looking at a mediocre record because one guy cannot make kicks.
My guess is that last year was about rebuilding the roster with younger players and whatever happens happens. This year is about expectations, so if there is a question mark on the roster now we have to fix it.

Last year we experimented at kicker...Now we need to get it right.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Poor Man's Packers podcast, they said that Tennessee told Narveson that their goal was to groom him to take over for Folk. They hoped to bring him onto the practice squad for the year. Interesting that a low draft pick got Tennessee to let him go.

In the same podcast, they mentioned that Narveson's wife is a huge Packers fan from western Wisconsin. They also said that in his first practice, Narveson nailed all of his field goals including several well over 50 yards. They then quoted Jaire Alexander saying something to the effect that Narveson appears to be the real deal. One practice doesn't make a man, but it's definitely a good start.

Members online

Latest posts