Trading for Malik Willis

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, I have 5 bro in laws that are unfortunately all MN fans. Specifically, one is very informed and we talk football all the time. His sources are pretty solid. Also, it's not that big of a deal. JJ is out and Darnold is the starter. They are and were all excited when they signed him. They are optimistic that Darnold just never had a team around him. Personally, I think MN's roster stinks and the Giants are a 3 win team. We will see how it all plays out.
As a current resident of lake country, and an avid follower of the team, I can confirm that Darnold was the plan expressed to fans. Kwesi said so in an interview following the draft, that Darnold was brought in to be the starter. They are paying him $10M this year. That is right around the price for a journeyman starter, similar to Gardner Minshew. Backups like Fields, Flacco, and Mariota are making half of that amount.

The Vikings (and the media) were hopefully that McCarthy would pick up the offense fast enough to make it into the starting role by mid-to-late season, but he was never penciled in as the starter.

Reaction score
Vick for what it is worth was a name often which came up in prospect discussions of Willis as the ceiling comp for him...and Tyler Huntley was kinda the average ceiling comp for him.
I didn’t know this thanks. Although I think someone in here mentioned his name. I do recall an amazing Stat that Malik tied Lamar Jackson for the most missed Tackles in College since 2010. 96 misses comes to mind but I might be off on that #

I’m sure Vick was right up there also, but he played at VA Tech prior to 2010 also

Reaction score
More than likely a "game time decision" to force the Colts to prepare their D to "maybe" face Love.
Reports coming out on Loves injury sound promising. Although we will likely be careful by a week too late vs a week to early. My guess is he misses just 2 games. That’s nearly 3 calendar weeks to heal up before a few days of practice.

Last edited:

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree. They will play to win the games. Rudolph might be a solid backup, but I wouldn't be comfortable going into a game with him as a starter either. Now add that Willis was the third string.

Why would I not want to hear that. I will be cheering hard for the Packers and Willis's success. Reality is, they are backups for a reason. Starting NFL QBs are really hard to find and it is difficult to win without them.

I'm not giving up on the Packers. I just don't think we have a chance this weekend with Willis as the QB. With that said, I'm thinking of heading over for the game. Ticket prices are going down. I wouldn't say plummeting, but they are probably about as cheap as they are going to get. I will then be cheering my **** off. GPG!
Glad I sold my Minnesota tickets when I did. About 3 weeks ago. Perfect!

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't miss at least 2 games. I'd put being back by week 4 at 50/50 based on nothing but hope.
Hey I’m practiced up on that.
I’ve been living on hope my whole life!
(Much of it was hoping some girl would call me back :laugh:)

Reaction score
There are a couple of advantages of playing the Colts. First and foremost, while Richardson is a 2nd year Starter he only played in 4 games in 2023. He missed a week with a concussion before coming back and injuring a AC I think it was. Anyway that ended his Rookie campaign.
Anthony might have more experience than Willis, but not by much. Week 1 the Colts scored 6 points off a blocked punt that had them 1st n Goal at the 5 (then a failed 2pt). So that wasn’t as much Offense as it was ST. The Colts scored 21 points against a Defense that is similar strength to GB. Although GB did more to bolster their D this Offseason + we play at home which helps. I think that field was a disadvantage to both Defenses last week, as noted by the players switching out their cleats for better traction. I doubt the Colts put up anywhere close to 34 points in this one. My over/under would be a lower scoring contest in that +-38-42 points neighborhood 21-16 type score, you pick the winner idc

So far Richardson has benefited from the Long play with half his Air yards coming on 2 plays. One to Alec Pierce (my Jordy clone) However when it comes to ball control or manipulating the game flow he gets a D.. D+ type grade. He’s a lower than average Passer at this point in his career. He went #4 overall instead of later Rd-early Rd2 to “potential”. Hard to realize potential with less than 1/2 season of starts, just ask Jordan

I think the GB Defense is every bit as good as Houston’s 300 yard performance. I’d give Indy 120 Rushing and 170 Passing in this contest. It would’ve been less but respect for Jon Taylor.

It’s no secret that GB will utilize more ground attack. Even if the per carry is down to 4-4.5 yards, I’d expect GB to clock at least 150 Rushing (or more). That will do enough to slow the # of possessions

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Glad I sold my Minnesota tickets when I did. About 3 weeks ago. Perfect!
Those are still going for about 3 bills, so $600 if you're going with a friend. Easily could tern into a $1000 day if you include gas, parking, food, souvenir, and drinks. I would wager at least $800. That prices me out of that game.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
There are a couple of advantages of playing the Colts. First and foremost, while Richardson is a 2nd year Starter he only played in 4 games in 2023. He missed a week with a concussion before coming back and injuring a AC I think it was. Anyway that ended his Rookie campaign.
Anthony might have more experience than Willis, but not by much. Week 1 the Colts scored 6 points off a blocked punt that had them 1st n Goal at the 5 (then a failed 2pt). So that wasn’t as much Offense as it was ST. The Colts scored 21 points against a Defense that is similar strength to GB. Although GB did more to bolster their D this Offseason + we play at home which helps. I think that field was a disadvantage to both Defenses last week, as noted by the players switching out their cleats for better traction. I doubt the Colts put up anywhere close to 34 points in this one. My over/under would be a lower scoring contest in that +-38-42 points neighborhood 21-16 type score, you pick the winner idc

So far Richardson has benefited from the Long play with half his Air yards coming on 2 plays. One to Alec Pierce (my Jordy clone) However when it comes to ball control or manipulating the game flow he gets a D.. D+ type grade. He’s a lower than average Passer at this point in his career. He went #4 overall instead of later Rd-early Rd2 to “potential”. Hard to realize potential with less than 1/2 season of starts, just ask Jordan

I think the GB Defense is every bit as good as Houston’s 300 yard performance. I’d give Indy 120 Rushing and 170 Passing in this contest. It would’ve been less but respect for Jon Taylor.

It’s no secret that GB will utilize more ground attack. Even if the per carry is down to 4-4.5 yards, I’d expect GB to clock at least 150 Rushing (or more). That will do enough to slow the # of possessions
Yeah, I mean the Colts and Titans are not world beaters by any means. I would say they are in the lower have of the league for sure. While I counted these as wins while Love was QB, I could still see them winning. I know I have dogged on Willis and I don't think he is good, a solid performance without turnovers could get a W here.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey it’s probably blowing smoke up their you know what there for any strategic advantage.
But blow baby blow ! :D

I tend to agree with you, but...I think the mere fact that the Packers have not 100% ruled Love out for Sunday is a good sign. Yeah, I doubt he plays, but it sounds like he is preparing as if he will be. That might just be studying film with Malik, but he's involved and not off somewhere "recovering".

Just the mere fact that there is talk about Love playing, the game after he suffered what could have been a season ending injury, is welcomed conversation for me.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, but...I think the mere fact that the Packers have not 100% ruled Love out for Sunday is a good sign. Yeah, I doubt he plays, but it sounds like he is preparing as if he will be. That might just studying film with Malik, but he's involved and not off somewhere "recovering".

Just the mere fact that there is talk about Love playing, the game after he suffered what could have been a season ending injury, is welcomed conversation for me.
That's my feeling as well... I really doubt there's much serious consideration to him actually playing Sunday, but the fact that he has not been totally shut down and - if nothing else - the team hasn't felt like it would merit the minimum-4 games on IR. That leads me to believe the initial projections of 3-6 weeks or similar were perhaps a bit much, and the later rumored "2-4 weeks" was probably closer to reality (and it seems they are optimistic it'll be on the shorter end of that)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The one way the Colts could put up big points is by just that, ST and turnovers. That will be on MLF and Bisaccia.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Along about 5 PM CDT, in Green Bay, WI, half of the Packer faithful will be either putting up shrines for Willis, or gathering up tar and feathers, to ride him out of town on a rail.

If he does well, and plays week 3, and they win again, they'll be talking about putting up statues of him outside Lambeau Field, and wondering if the Packers "might" want to consider trading Love for some picks. After all..... as some would say..... Majik was our QB, and after he got hurt, Favre became the man. Could it happen again?

Now, if they happen to play that 4th game, on September 28th, against the Vikings, and put up another win, those worshipers are going to offer up human sacrifices to Willis, and build churches in his name, and rename him St. Malik.

But, as soon as he loses two in a row.... they'll be looking for that tar and feathers they put on hold several weeks earlier.

LOL - The bad word checker said I couldn't use the word ER(No space here)ECT.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, but...I think the mere fact that the Packers have not 100% ruled Love out for Sunday is a good sign. Yeah, I doubt he plays, but it sounds like he is preparing as if he will be. That might just be studying film with Malik, but he's involved and not off somewhere "recovering".

They are playing games with the injury report. No way Love plays this weekend and the Colts aren't going to be fooled into that with a silly injury report. I still think Love will be out 2 weeks for sure. If the Packers lose both games, I think they will rush him back to play the Viking game. If there is at least one victory in the next two weeks, then Love will probably be back against the Rams.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are playing games with the injury report. No way Love plays this weekend and the Colts aren't going to be fooled into that with a silly injury report. I still think Love will be out 2 weeks for sure. If the Packers lose both games, I think they will rush him back to play the Viking game. If there is at least one victory in the next two weeks, then Love will probably be back against the Rams.
True. The risk of even trying to put Love out there could result in a season ender and maybe even worse. This is a trick.