Wide Receiver Options

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buzz that Sammy Watkins will be signing in GB.

Obviously not THE solution, but a good move to improve the depth chart (if it ends up being accurate).
Why not THE solution? He's a savvy, productive vet with some speed and will be a good 4-7 targets/game receiver for AR. He also isn't afraid to "mentor" and help teach young WR's on the team, which GB will have at least a couple of them in '22. This would be a good signing IF it happens. Wouldn't cost more than a 1yr/$3 or $4Mil deal to bring him aboard.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why not THE solution? He's a savvy, productive vet with some speed and will be a good 4-5 targets/game receiver for AR. He also isn't afraid to "mentor" and help teach young WR's on the team, which GB will have at least a couple of them in '22. This would be a good signing IF it happens.

He just isn't that guy.

Past 5 seasons:

2021: 27/394/1
2020: 37/421/2
2019: 52/673/3
2018: 40/519/3
2017: 49/593/8

And that was with the Rams, Chiefs for three straight, and then Ravens, so it isn't like he's been wasting away on bad offenses.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not THE solution? He's a savvy, productive vet with some speed and will be a good 4-7 targets/game receiver for AR. He also isn't afraid to "mentor" and help teach young WR's on the team, which GB will have at least a couple of them in '22. This would be a good signing IF it happens.

Sammy is not that productive. Lazard or MVS has done more arguably the last three years per receptions and almost overall even....the only reason I'm signing Watkins is because Green and Julio are just ignorantly high on what they want and I don't want to risk entering the draft hamstrung without at least one FA acquisition.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He just isn't that guy.

Past 5 seasons:

And that was with the Rams, Chiefs for three straight, and then Ravens, so it isn't like he's been wasting away on bad offenses.

I concur, he is a Lazard 2021/2020 season level guy from a production standpoint. Dependable "a" guy to add to the room but not even "the" guy rotationally. Green and Julio are the only FA's that from time to time can be "the" guy in a game here and there.

Reaction score
I saw that through some Reddit discussion board that someone had a friend who works with Packers medical staff. He says they are doing a physical to see if Watkins checks out.
Nothing formal yet from what I can find.

I do recall Watkins being a top option tied to The Packers in the past because of WR needs (2020 area) But more just projections I think.

Imo he’s a 650+ guy IF he comes to Green Bay, so that’s in that low WR2 to high WR3 range.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy Watkins injured his thigh in week 5 of '21. Prior to that injury he was targeted 7/game, 4 receptions/game, and averaged 58 yds/game while averaging 16.5yds/reception. After the injury the Ravens had already moved on to other WR's more prominent in the rotation than Watkins. He's not Adams, but he doesn't cost any draft capital and if/when healthy will be a stable, savvy vet. He's had a myriad of injuries costing him games (ankle, rib, feet, glute, thigh, calf, hammy, & groin), however, so if it doesn't happen I'm OK.

I'm REALLY hoping Gute doesn't panic and deal away multiple high picks for Metcalf (or other last-year-of-contract young guy) AND sign him to $25+Mil/yr deal...would've rather kept Adams in this situation (but I'm VERY happy to not be hamstrung with an outrageous WR deal).

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm REALLY hoping Gute doesn't panic and deal away multiple high picks for Metcalf (or other last-year-of-contract young guy) AND sign him to $25+Mil/yr deal...would've rather kept Adams in this situation (but I'm VERY happy to not be hamstrung with an outrageous WR deal).
Me too, but I really think Adams had a chance to be gone and wanted to be. I don't hold anything against him. He was a great player for us and put his body out there on the line every week and was pure Packer football the entire time he was here. Sometimes people just want something different, and I really think he did.

But yeah, if we're doling out big money to a WR, I wish it would have been Adams though there might be a couple young guys you could talk me into trading big picks for. Metcalf is not one of them. If they are going to trade I think it's a safe guess to say it's going to be predraft. I could be talked into some maybe. without looking too closely though my preference is get 2 in the first 2 rounds or 1 in the first 3 picks and a vet and a couple other later rounds

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need bodies that can produce decently and that won't cost an arm and a leg. Sammy Watkins is a body that can produce decently that won't cost an arm and a leg. We don't have to restrict our WR search to guys that can be the guy on the team. If we can get a guy in Watkins that puts up 500 yards and a few touchdowns and doesn't cost much more than the 5 mil he made last year- and he shouldn't- then I'm all for it, but I've seen no other sources (and I'm being generous to consider a user of this forum as a source, no offense! :D) suggesting that he's headed to Green Bay.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins would make a
We need bodies that can produce decently and that won't cost an arm and a leg. Sammy Watkins is a body that can produce decently that won't cost an arm and a leg. We don't have to restrict our WR search to guys that can be the guy on the team. If we can get a guy in Watkins that puts up 500 yards and a few touchdowns and doesn't cost much more than the 5 mil he made last year- and he shouldn't- then I'm all for it, but I've seen no other sources (and I'm being generous to consider a user of this forum as a source, no offense! :D) suggesting that he's headed to Green Bay.
You're right. He would be a good addition at a reasonable price. As far as him ending up in GB? I think it's rumors, nothing more. But, I wouldn't get upset about it. We'd add a body, and hang onto our draft picks.

Reaction score
We need bodies that can produce decently and that won't cost an arm and a leg. Sammy Watkins is a body that can produce decently that won't cost an arm and a leg. then I'm all for it, but I've seen no other sources (and I'm being generous to consider a user of this forum as a source, no offense! :D) suggesting that he's headed to Green Bay.
we’re desperate at WR.
Let us dream!

It is pretty funny that the mere talk of a friend of a friend who heard from a friend who once worked in GB that a #3 WR just might be coming to GB if he’s not too injured

And we’re excited! :laugh:
I’m as guilty as the rest

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's one way of thinking about the needs at WR in terms of production.

A very successful Aaron Rodgers season probably looks something like 365 completions, ~4200 yards, and maybe, say, 38 touchdowns.

So what are realistic estimates of production for the guys currently on the roster?

Aaron Jones: 60 receptions, 480 yards, 4 TD
Allen Lazard: 50 receptions 650 yards, 6 TD
Randall Cobb: 40 receptions, 480 yards, 4 TD
Robert Tonyan: 35 receptions, 420 yards, 5 TD
A.J. Dillon: 30 receptions, 240 yards, TD
Josiah Deguara: 25 receptions, 250 yards, 2 TD
Marcedes Lewis: 20 receptions, 200 yards, TD
Amari Rodgers: 15 receptions, 150 yards

So those estimates total up to account for 275 completions, 2870 yards, 23 TD's.

So if that's close to accurate, you need to find about 90 completions for 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns.

That obviously doesn't need to be one single player-- it could be a combination of options that are acquired via trade, FA, or draft.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one way of thinking about the needs at WR in terms of production.

A very successful Aaron Rodgers season probably looks something like 365 completions, ~4200 yards, and maybe, say, 38 touchdowns.

So what are realistic estimates of production for the guys currently on the roster?

Aaron Jones: 60 receptions, 480 yards, 4 TD
Allen Lazard: 50 receptions 650 yards, 6 TD
Randall Cobb: 40 receptions, 480 yards, 4 TD
Robert Tonyan: 35 receptions, 420 yards, 5 TD
A.J. Dillon: 30 receptions, 240 yards, TD
Josiah Deguara: 25 receptions, 250 yards, 2 TD
Marcedes Lewis: 20 receptions, 200 yards, TD
Amari Rodgers: 15 receptions, 150 yards

So those estimates total up to account for 275 completions, 2870 yards, 23 TD's.

So if that's close to accurate, you need to find about 90 completions for 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns.

That obviously doesn't need to be one single player-- it could be a combination of options that are acquired via trade, FA, or draft.
Ha, I did one of those earlier too. We were pretty close

Reaction score
Me too, but I really think Adams had a chance to be gone and wanted to be. I don't hold anything against him. He was a great player for us and put his body out there on the line every week and was pure Packer football the entire time he was here. Sometimes people just want something different, and I really think he did.

But yeah, if we're doling out big money to a WR, I wish it would have been Adams though there might be a couple young guys you could talk me into trading big picks for. Metcalf is not one of them. If they are going to trade I think it's a safe guess to say it's going to be predraft. I could be talked into some maybe. without looking too closely though my preference is get 2 in the first 2 rounds or 1 in the first 3 picks and a vet and a couple other later rounds
I agree. Minimum would be:
a top 40 area selection (trade up using #53 etc..)
A Speed option before close of Rd4
A mid tier Veteran (Watkins etc..).

Obviously it would be fun to see
Julio Jones
Burks
Pickens
(trying to use a realistic grouping)

Plus maybe a Day 3 Burner who can act as Returner

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to wait and see who gets cut after the draft than Watkins. There is no way I would pay Sammy as much as he made last year. On the other hand, I do not have a better solution to suggest at the present time.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He just isn't that guy.

Past 5 seasons:

No. But Rams and Chiefs had a bunch of receivers that were getting most of the targets. I like the idea of Watkins. And as PKRjones pointed out. He has had some injuries.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not THE solution? He's a savvy, productive vet with some speed and will be a good 4-7 targets/game receiver for AR. He also isn't afraid to "mentor" and help teach young WR's on the team, which GB will have at least a couple of them in '22. This would be a good signing IF it happens. Wouldn't cost more than a 1yr/$3 or $4Mil deal to bring him aboard.

He usually doesn't play more than 9 games going by the last 4 seasons. Productivity per catch doesn't mean much if you're not on the field.

Not saying I don't want him on roster on a cheap contract with the understanding you probably won't get more than 1/2 season from him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the right price I’m fine with the Packers signing pretty much any receiver (except Cole Beasley). It wouldn’t hurt to have another veteran receiver to help teach the rookies how to prepare.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unless a receiver drops balls; I think you should throw it to him when he is open. And honestly, on that play, he could have thrown to the receiver instead of some point that he had practiced.

There's no doubt that Rodgers has made mistakes as well. But no successful NFL quarterback will consistently target a receiver who doesn't run the correct routes on too many plays.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this rumor floating around on another Packers' forum this morning. We shall see...

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Watkins deal better be cheap. He was not the guy I wanted. If healthy* he's better than anyone else on the current roster. But that isn't saying much.

* huge IF

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still hope they grab multiple receivers in the draft (at least 1 in the 1st 4 picks) otherwise they are right back to needing WRs in 2023 offseason because Watkins, Cobb aren't long term solutions.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute signed Sammy Watkins to a 4 million, one year deal. Both he and Cobb have injury issues. Together, at least one should be able to suit up and provide a veteren option for AR. Given the Packers long term salary cap issues, signing a 30 ish WR to a one year deal makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.