Wide Receiver Options

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that if we go 1,2 on wide receivers and then even pick another one later on (speedy and can punt return); we don't really need a veteran. Those guys will play well off the bat and be ready 3/4 of the way into the season for the stretch. Yes, injuries are possible. Always. Just think the "we need a vet" is a "the sky is falling" thinking. We would be able to go a different direction.

I agree to a certain extent.

I think a veteran free agent could still sign with GB, but more than likely it would be after the draft.

I DO strongly believe that a WR must come off the board before #59.

Hopefully GB would add more picks in the 35-45 range where they is a nice group of WRs (Watson, Pierce, Pickens, Moore, Tolbert, Dotson) that WILL thrive without any starters in place at WR.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the past 3 seasons, AR has averaged about 370 completions....

Obviously the receptions from Adams will have to be distributed to others, so I see it kind of like....

Cobb 50 catches 550-600 yards, 5 touchdowns
Lazard 50 catches 600-650 yards, 6 touchdowns
Tonyan 50 catches 600-650 yards, 6 touchdowns
Deguara 20 catches 250-300 yards, 2 touchdowns
A. Jones 50 catches 550-600 yards, 4 touchdowns (receiving)
Dillon 30 catches 350 yards, 3 touchdowns (receiving)
Vet FA WR 50 catches 550-600 yards, 6 touchdowns
RookWR1 40 catches 450-500 yards, 4 touchdowns (*this could ALSO be a VetWR)
RookWR2 40 catches 450-500 yards, 4 touchdowns

Total around ~380 catches, ~4350+ yards, 40 touchdowns

* i did NOT include Amari in any projections... and I believe that these are pretty REALISTIC and REASONABLE numbers...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Obviously the receptions from Adams will have to be distributed to others, so I see it kind of like....

* i did NOT include Amari in any projections... and I believe that these are pretty REALISTIC and REASONABLE numbers...

Too early for projections but I know Lazard has consistently caught majority of targets thrown his way and at this point is trusted by Rodgers…if we have to be ready for Lazard to have a Boykin like year from Rodgers throwing his way…and he is a hell of lot better WR than Boykin was

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has suggested poaching Allison off the Lions. Obvious answer to our woes and for DIRT CHEAP.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do teams win vs opponents? Is it not the one that scores the most points? Why on earth should we never be allowed to mention disregard points scored by position groups?

Please explain that for us in detail because I’m having a hard time here or maybe I’m just not getting what you’re laying down?

My argument being: I think exploring areas of improvement on Offense, thus using a successful season would be in play (2020) We look to that season to see areas of success and one key one is cumulative Receiver production.

Now what’s your argument against that again ?

In my opinion solely taking a look at points scored by specific players doesn't fairly evaluate their talent level. You need to take a look at their entire body of work and not ignore everything else aside of touchdown passes caught. It's pretty obvious the Packers offense regressed last season (450 points scored in 17 games) compared to 2020 (509/16) but that's the result of a drop-off in overall performance and not only because their top four pass catchers didn't put up the same amount of points.

I wasn't talking about the WRs I was talking about the idea that Rodgers doesn't throw to WRs he doesn't trust. Even if it is a myth that's still on him.

Here's what Rodgers had to say about receivers he wasn't happy with two years ago:

"I would say, ‘I don’t have any trust that this guy can help us win the game.' I’ve definitely expressed my opinion to say, 'If you put him out there, I’m not going to throw him the ball.'

"The whole team is trusting me to do what’s right by the team, so you can’t put someone out there who I don’t believe in. Because if I don’t believe in him, it’s worthless for the team."

I fully understand that he's not targeting receivers he has no trust in. It's Gutekunst's job to surround him with more talented pass catchers in that case.

I am thinking that if we go 1,2 on wide receivers and then even pick another one later on (speedy and can punt return); we don't really need a veteran. Those guys will play well off the bat and be ready 3/4 of the way into the season for the stretch. Yes, injuries are possible. Always. Just think the "we need a vet" is a "the sky is falling" thinking. We would be able to go a different direction.

In my opinion the Packers desperately need to add a veteran to the receiving corps as well as just relying on rookies to get the job done would be too much of a risk.

Too early for projections but I know Lazard has consistently caught majority of targets thrown his way and at this point is trusted by Rodgers…if we have to be ready for Lazard to have a Boykin like year from Rodgers throwing his way…and he is a hell of lot better WR than Boykin was

Last season, Lazard already put up numbers close to what Boykin did in his only season he was contributing in.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think it's very likely that Deguara has more receptions than Tonyan this season.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's very likely that Deguara has more receptions than Tonyan this season.
What makes you say that ?

I mean I'd LOVE it if that's the case...

Also what do you think about my projections? Realistic? Doable?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has suggested poaching Allison off the Lions. Obvious answer to our woes and for DIRT CHEAP.
Allison is a good guy but he isn't an athletic freak and does NOT know MLFs offense

What would be the benefit In getting Allison over a Free Agent Vet like Julio/Sanders/Green/etc?

Other than familiarity with AR..

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is/was production and how it can be replaced

This isn't rocket science lol

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Rodgers had to say about receivers he wasn't happy with two years ago:

"I would say, ‘I don’t have any trust that this guy can help us win the game.' I’ve definitely expressed my opinion to say, 'If you put him out there, I’m not going to throw him the ball.'

"The whole team is trusting me to do what’s right by the team, so you can’t put someone out there who I don’t believe in. Because if I don’t believe in him, it’s worthless for the team."

I fully understand that he's not targeting receivers he has no trust in. It's Gutekunst's job to surround him with more talented pass catchers in that case.
That is just ridiculous imo and ARod needs an attitude adjustment if he still thinks that way. He is crippling himself and the team and it shows up in big games. It smacks of so much stubborness. Sometimes the QBs favorites are not the ones that are open. I don't put that on Gute in any manner.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50/650/6 is NOT unreasonable for Lazard though....
Of course it isn't, never said it was. It's actually on par with his production efficiency per target not even an increase of it really. His career Y/R is 13.28 which would be 664 yards if targeted he got 50 receptions..

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it isn't, never said it was. It's actually on par with his production efficiency per target not even an increase of it really. His career Y/R is 13.28 which would be 664 yards if targeted 50 times.
So let's be real here, he isn't going to go for like 1900 yards and 14 touchdowns here lol

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is just ridiculous imo and ARod needs an attitude adjustment if he still thinks that way. He is crippling himself and the team and it shows up in big games. It smacks of so much stubborness. Sometimes the QBs favorites are not the ones that are open. I don't put that on Gute in any manner.
Would fans have accepted Davante Adams saying "I don't trust Jordan Love to put the ball anywhere near where I can catch it anyway so Im not even going to try to get open" or " I don't trust that that guy can help us win games so Im not even going to try"

I don't think so but apparently with Rodgers its just a personality quirk that we have to put up with.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would fans have accepted Davante Adams saying "I don't trust Jordan Love to put the ball anywhere near where I can catch it anyway so Im not even going to try to get open" or " I don't trust that that guy can help us win games so Im not even going to try"

I don't think so but apparently with Rodgers its just a personality quirk that we have to put up with.

I didn't expect I would be able to trick any of you but it seems that the disdain for Rodgers is that high amongst some Packers fans that you don't even think for a moment before criticizing him.

Actually, it wasn't Rodgers who said the things about receivers he doesn't trust I posted above but the GOAT Tom Brady.

I wonder how many more big games Brady could have won if he just targeted whoever was lined up at receiver instead of needing to trust them before throwing the ball their way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I can't believe people don't understand the importance of guys being where they're supposed to be and doing what they're supposed to do on a down to down basis in practice and games. Offenses can't function if they're not. It doesn't matter if it's a 50/50 or an 80/20. It's all timing and flow and if you're ****ing it up you're not helping. It shouldn't take a HOF QB saying trust in guys being where they're supposed to be and knowing the offense is important for us to all understand that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Quarterbacks throw to a spot on the field, trusting that the receiver will be there (when they throw the ball the receiver generally isn't even to that spot yet). So, your attitude adjustment is that he should throw to players that should be there, even if said players aren't consistently there? That seems like terrible advice. Apparently Rodgers should just trust whoever is out there even if said player is only out there because the depth at that position is kinda awful?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts