Wide Receiver Options

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put this deal in context, instead of signing Adams to a big deal that would've taken more than 25 million per year, Gute signed Campbell, Douglas and now Watkins with the cap savings and also has first and second round picks to show for it. I'll take that any day of the week! Had the Packers signed Adams, no way do they have the funds to also pay for Campbell and Douglas.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the absolute maximum I would have paid him. I think in current talent he is the 2nd best receiver behind Lazard and ahead of Cobb. Again this does nothing to make me feel any better about the WR room, but admittedly I do not have a solution other than the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While Watkins doesn't come close to replacing Adams, it is a step in the right direction. Depending on who they land in the draft, I can see them trying to land 1 more FA WR. I guess that can wait until after the draft though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still hope they grab multiple receivers in the draft (at least 1 in the 1st 4 picks) otherwise they are right back to needing WRs in 2023 offseason because Watkins, Cobb aren't long term solutions.
Considering in '23 Lazard, Cobb & Watkins are UFA's I'd be surprised if Gute didn't take 3 WR's in 2 weeks. Watkins & Cobb are stop-gap vets only, to get the offense through '22, but WR will be a concern in '23, as well. Don't think there's much $$ left for any other vets to join the team unless at minimum.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good move by the Packers. Watkins will add another experienced receiver to the mix. It might even be a good combo with Rodgers. We'll find out a lot more when they reach camp this fall. I think it's gonna be just fine.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move upgrades the depth chart and shouldn't change anything regarding plans to sign, trade, or draft receiver.

Agreed it merely lightens the severity of the issue. I do think this puts us out of the Julio or Green market cuz they’re obviously gonna take more and id bet around 8M or more depending

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's something interesting to me about Watkins.

Last year, he opened the season as the starter in Baltimore and in terms of offensive snaps, played:

82% @ Las Vegas
92% Vs Kansas City
79% @ Detroit
73% @ Denver

Then he broke his thumb during the week 5 contest and went on IR, returning in week 9.

However, by week 9 1st round WR Rashod Bateman was in the lineup (he played his first snaps in week 6), and so Watkins' role was lessened as they gave the rookie more snaps (the two having essentially overlapping roles in the offense).

Now in the four games as a starter, Watkins had 16 on 29 targets for 257 yards (16.1 YPR). Over the remainder of the season, he only had 11 more receptions for 137 yards.

His pace as a starter was for 68/1088, but in his reduced role he only achieved 27/394 (he missed 4 more games and was limited in some others).

Now here's some caveats:

-Injuries are part of the story with Watkins; he virtually never plays a full season.

-The sample size of four games as the starter is small.

But the point is this-- you might look at 27/394/1 and get the wrong idea about his ability; his actual skill/talent on the field is capable of producing much more than that. But his health is the question mark.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a change in scenery changes his injury luck this will be a great move. His biggest issue isn't talent but the abililty to stay healthy.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If a change in scenery changes his injury luck this will be a great move. His biggest issue isn't talent but the abililty to stay healthy.

But even if he misses like 7 entire games, if you're talking about a guy who catches ~4 balls per game and averages about 15 YPR, he's still going to make a significant contribution to the offense.

And traditionally, as you'd expect, he's started seasons well and then faded when the health issues arise. But if the Packers are looking to break in some rookies, early season is exactly when they're going to want/need him most. That's what happened in Baltimore; Watkins essentially saw them through the bulk of the time Bateman was going to miss and then Bateman took over the role (for the most part) from there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed it merely lightens the severity of the issue. I do think this puts us out of the Julio or Green market cuz they’re obviously gonna take more and id bet around 8M or more depending
Maybe a coincidence, but shortly after GB agreed to a deal with Watkins AJ Green re-signs with AZ. Wondering if Gute called Green's bluff by not caving for his salary demands, leaving Green only one option left?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a coincidence, but shortly after GB agreed to a deal with Watkins AJ Green re-signs with AZ. Wondering if Gute called Green's bluff by not caving for his salary demands, leaving Green only one option left?
I wonder if we'll ever know if Gute inquired about Green? I'm still hoping Gute adds one more vet WR for insurance if nothing else.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a steal. I believe Watkins if perfect for this offense and on a bargain deal.

He’s definitely lost a step but he can still be a playmaker I think. He was 3rd fiddle at best with the Chiefs. It didn’t matter what fiddle he was with Lamar as a QB. Dude can’t throw. Even with the Rams it was a one year stint with Goff.

This is really his first shot as a #1 with a real QB. Not saying he is gonna come out and put up massive numbers but I could see a 70 catch 1000 yard season.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy is 28 years ols and ran a 4.34 at the combines. He's not slow. The Packers do not see him as a replacment for Adams. He brings depth and exoerience to the receiver room. He's a good pickup. There will be more opportunities to sign a veteran or two as the season gets closer and hopefully the draft will bring 2 or 3 rookie wide receiver prospects to the team.

Reaction score
Here's something interesting to me about Watkins.

Last year, he opened the season as the starter in Baltimore and in terms of offensive snaps, played:

82% @ Las Vegas
92% Vs Kansas City
79% @ Detroit
73% @ Denver

Then he broke his thumb during the week 5 contest and went on IR, returning in week 9.

However, by week 9 1st round WR Rashod Bateman was in the lineup (he played his first snaps in week 6), and so Watkins' role was lessened as they gave the rookie more snaps (the two having essentially overlapping roles in the offense).

Now in the four games as a starter, Watkins had 16 on 29 targets for 257 yards (16.1 YPR). Over the remainder of the season, he only had 11 more receptions for 137 yards.

His pace as a starter was for 68/1088, but in his reduced role he only achieved 27/394 (he missed 4 more games and was limited in some others).

Now here's some caveats:

-Injuries are part of the story with Watkins; he virtually never plays a full season.

-The sample size of four games as the starter is small.

But the point is this-- you might look at 27/394/1 and get the wrong idea about his ability; his actual skill/talent on the field is capable of producing much more than that. But his health is the question mark.
I agree with that. My guess was he’s a 45/650+ guy. If he played 15 games more like 65/950+
He has terrific hands. Much will depend on how he meshes with Rodgers (or vice versus)

Imo we just got a $6.5M value for $4m. He’s not flashy, but he’ll kill you with underneath stuff and has an occasional long ball and can track it with the Best of the throw is there. He’s not going to juke you or turn on afterburners

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins will be good for 60+ receptions and over 800 yards. He should end up with about 8 TDs. Other receivers in the group will soak up 20 to 30 receptions and 300 yards, along with 4 TDs. The loss of Adams to the overall passing game will be minimal. In a way, beneficial, because there will be more than one receiver that has to be covered. The Packers, and Rodgers, had started to rely way too much on the Rodgers to Adams connection. It was comfortable, and an easy choice. Now the ball will be spread around a lot more.

Sometimes a major subtraction can be a major addition, because it gives the Packers two picks early in the draft to help retool the WR corps, and improve the team in another position. Having two firsts and two seconds is pretty darned nice.

As far as Watkins and injuries, the entire team he played on was an injury waiting to happen. I think they were either the worst in the league, or close to it this past year. Sometimes it's not the player, it's the system they play in, that exposes them to more potential injuries. Not saying that was definitely the case, but it could be a factor.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s definitely lost a step but he can still be a playmaker I think. He was 3rd fiddle at best with the Chiefs. It didn’t matter what fiddle he was with Lamar as a QB. Dude can’t throw. Even with the Rams it was a one year stint with Goff.

He hasn't lost much in terms of speed. I found this article that had him #2 in speed in September of 2021 with the Ravens (21.05 mph).

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that basically getting Campbell, Douglas, Watkins and the 2 draft picks was the right move for the team. But the numbers you guys are throwing out there for this years WR corp are nothing short of delusional.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't lost much in terms of speed. I found this article that had him #2 in speed in September of 2021 with the Ravens (21.05 mph).

To put it bluntly, Watkins is fast! He can stretch the field. He's in his prime at 28.

I like this signing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy is 28 years ols and ran a 4.34 at the combines. He's not slow. The Packers do not see him as a replacment for Adams. He brings depth and exoerience to the receiver room. He's a good pickup. There will be more opportunities to sign a veteran or two as the season gets closer and hopefully the draft will bring 2 or 3 rookie wide receiver prospects to the team.

4.43 I believe you flipped the numbers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that basically getting Campbell, Douglas, Watkins and the 2 draft picks was the right move for the team. But the numbers you guys are throwing out there for this years WR corp are nothing short of delusional.
What numbers would those be? Personally, I don't see the need for too much in improvements. Just get the added catches you will out of Amari Rodgers, because he'll be a factor, and get more catches out of Cobb, and you've added at least 15-20 right there. Both are fast enough to turn that into 200+ yards, and a couple of TDs. That allows for an adequate season from a new guy in the draft, and Watkins. No need for huge numbers from anyone. With Watkins, we have the home run threat.

I'm trying to figure out what's delusional about any of that to be honest.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Watkins and Fuller, I prefer Watkins

I didn't even know he was a FA until a few days ago

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins will be good for 60+ receptions and over 800 yards. He should end up with about 8 TDs. Other receivers in the group will soak up 20 to 30 receptions and 300 yards, along with 4 TDs. The loss of Adams to the overall passing game will be minimal. In a way, beneficial, because there will be more than one receiver that has to be covered. The Packers, and Rodgers, had started to rely way too much on the Rodgers to Adams connection. It was comfortable, and an easy choice. Now the ball will be spread around a lot more.

Sometimes a major subtraction can be a major addition, because it gives the Packers two picks early in the draft to help retool the WR corps, and improve the team in another position. Having two firsts and two seconds is pretty darned nice.

As far as Watkins and injuries, the entire team he played on was an injury waiting to happen. I think they were either the worst in the league, or close to it this past year. Sometimes it's not the player, it's the system they play in, that exposes them to more potential injuries. Not saying that was definitely the case, but it could be a factor.
There you go.
By your logic it sounds like the other teams didn't even cover the other receivers. I am pretty sure they did. What is actually going to happen is they are going to have an extra defender to cover or put in the box since their will not be anybody they feel the need to double team with Adams gone.

Members online