Wide Receiver Options

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There you go.
By your logic it sounds like the other teams didn't even cover the other receivers. I am pretty sure they did. What is actually going to happen is they are going to have an extra defender to cover or put in the box since their will not be anybody they feel the need to double team with Adams gone.
I normally think that if you do not have a deep threat is when you can put an extra in the box. Watkins may be a better deep threat than Adams and we may draft another. I've got high hopes for Sammy. I still want two receivers in our top 4 picks though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited for this move, though I feel it could be a couple years late, but regardless Sammy has always intrigued me... and this is at a steep discount than what it would have taken to sign him a few years ago. I'd rather Sammy than a trade for Cooks or signing Fuller because I think both of those guys are one injury away from retirement. Sammy gets dinged up but he usually comes back. He's a real character on Twitter too, I suggest you guys add him if you are on there. I think he'll be an interesting lockerroom addition. Rodgers will have a fun time trying to figure him out.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put it bluntly, Watkins is fast! He can stretch the field. He's in his prime at 28.

I like this signing.

He turns 29 in June. The male physical prime is between 25-30. Hes at the end of is prime and as had a ton of injuries. He only completed a full season his rookie year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still hope they grab multiple receivers in the draft (at least 1 in the 1st 4 picks) otherwise they are right back to needing WRs in 2023 offseason because Watkins, Cobb aren't long term solutions.

The Packers still need to add talent to the receiving corps for the upcoming season even after signing Watkins.

Considering in '23 Lazard, Cobb & Watkins are UFA's I'd be surprised if Gute didn't take 3 WR's in 2 weeks. Watkins & Cobb are stop-gap vets only, to get the offense through '22, but WR will be a concern in '23, as well. Don't think there's much $$ left for any other vets to join the team unless at minimum.

Wide receiver is still a major concern for the 2022 season as well.

I agree with that. My guess was he’s a 45/650+ guy. If he played 15 games more like 65/950+
He has terrific hands.

I'm not so sure about Watkins having great hands. According to PFR he had six drops on only 49 targets last season.

The loss of Adams to the overall passing game will be minimal. In a way, beneficial, because there will be more than one receiver that has to be covered.

I'm sorry but you're fooling yourself when you really believe that to be true.

As far as Watkins and injuries, the entire team he played on was an injury waiting to happen. I think they were either the worst in the league, or close to it this past year. Sometimes it's not the player, it's the system they play in, that exposes them to more potential injuries. Not saying that was definitely the case, but it could be a factor.

Watkins missed games because of injuries in every single of the past seven seasons, a total of 30 games. I think it's fair to consider him injury-prone.

Just get the added catches you will out of Amari Rodgers, because he'll be a factor, and get more catches out of Cobb, and you've added at least 15-20 right there.

I highly doubt both Cobb and Amari will put up better numbers than last season as they basically play the same role.

I normally think that if you do not have a deep threat is when you can put an extra in the box.

With the Packers most likely not featuring a receiver defenses need to double team this season opponents will have an extra defender available to put in the box. That could even result in the offense not facing as many nickel or dime defenses as in the past.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He turns 29 in June. The male physical prime is between 25-30. Hes at the end of is prime and as had a ton of injuries. He only completed a full season his rookie year.
True the physical peak doesn't last long, but what Watkins lost in athleticism he's made up for in experience.

I think this year Watkins will stay healthy and produce.

Everything is in his favor to perform and if he doesn't, it doesn't bode well for his future.

Watkins should give 100%

D

Deleted member 6794

Nope. Clemson WR Sammy Watkins measured in at 6-0 3/4 and 211 pounds at the NFL combine and ran a 4.34 on his first try and 4.37 on his second try in the 40 yard dash.

Actually, @tynimiller is correct. Watkins ran a 4.43 in the 40 yard dash at the combine. He posted a 4.34 in the 20-yard shuttle though.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad. I was quoting the unofficial time. That's what the vido showed. Still it was the second fastest. Some thought he might break 4.3. He's fast.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy with the signing but at the same time hopefully it doesn't really change anything with regards to draft priorities. IMO I'd still like to see us draft at least two WRs and probably a TE, honestly. We have holes to address both this season and in the coming ones, so even it's a bit of both short- and long-term planning in that regard.

I know his health has been a concern but hopefully with the addition of a few rookies to the receivers room we'll be able to do a bit of load-management and maximize his usage/production for us. Maybe some more snaps earlier in the season while the rookies are getting acclimated, then see that number reduced down the stretch to minimize wear and tear and hopefully keep him healthier for more of the season.

But, all that said, can't really complain unless for some reason this makes Gute think he doesn't need to spend much draft capital on pass-catching options. If that's the case, well, that'd be a little problematic.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some fun facts about Watkins. Seems like the coaches are already pretty familiar with who they have. For $4M, I think it was a good signing, if he stays healthy, could turn out to be a really good signing. Still need 2 WR's in the first 2 rounds of the draft IMO, but at least Watkins improves the WR group slightly. Then again, adding Jeff Janis might do that too.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Will Fuller headed to GB as well...

Watkins 2022 season 867 yards 60 catches 14.45 per 6 tds if he reaches the per game averages he has so far over 99 games.

If he equals his bests in all categories hell put up at least 65 catches 17.5 per 9 tds 1138 yards

Fuller 2022 season 969 yards 66 catches 14.68 per 8 tds if he reaches the per game averages he has over 55 career games

If he equals his bests in all categories hell put up at least 53 catches 16.6 per 8 tds 879 yards

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not Julio or AJ???

But younger is good for sure if that's what they're thinking with Watkins and Fuller

Members online