Vikings at Packers 9/29/24 Pregame Thoughts

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take this game seriously, but I'm not worried about it. I'm surprised at some of the pessimism here... if we're as good a team as we've all spent the last 6 or 8 months telling ourselves and one another that we are, this is a team we should be confident going up against.

I don't see the Vikings as a Top 3 team at all - I see them as roughly a Top 10, maybe 12 club on an early hot streak. They're dangerous, to be sure, but last I checked so are we.

The general consensus in here all summer is that we're a highly probable playoff team and even a possible SB team. If that's true, then we need to be able to beat teams like the Vikings. If we don't expect to be able to do that, then we might want to stop talking so much about playoffs.

Packers, 30-27

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take this game seriously, but I'm not worried about it. I'm surprised at some of the pessimism here... if we're as good a team as we've all spent the last 6 or 8 months telling ourselves and one another that we are, this is a team we should be confident going up against.

I don't see the Vikings as a Top 3 team at all - I see them as roughly a Top 10, maybe 12 club on an early hot streak. They're dangerous, to be sure, but last I checked so are we.

The general consensus in here all summer is that we're a highly probable playoff team and even a possible SB team. If that's true, then we need to be able to beat teams like the Vikings. If we don't expect to be able to do that, then we might want to stop talking so much about playoffs.

Packers, 30-27
Absolutely. It comes down to one of my old favorites sayings from an old Tom and Jerry's cartoon. Is you is or is you ain't?
Packers, 27-20

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score

Packers, 30-27
I agree and I don’t think the Packers feel inferior. I think the Packers just proved they can be competitive Jordan Love or not. Correct me if I’m wrong here but Malik Willis didn’t create 3 Takeaways and 9 Sacks last week. It should’ve been more, Xavier should had 2 INT.
I’ve counted 4 more plays across 3 games that were Defense turnover worthy. Xavier, Quay, J’aire and Nixon have all missed potential INT and 1 was a very close pick 6 (Nixon) OUR takeaway could easily be +11 +12 or more which 3 contests in is Best in decade type stuff.
This is a historically impressive D, they just need more consistency in other areas. That will come.

While MN is likely better than TN, they are not impenetrable either.
I really think we can generate
10-15 pressures and 4-5 Sacks. Plus our DB group as a whole is certainly better than the average NFL team. Hafley will likely need to dial up a few more LB or DB Blitz packages to get Darnold uncomfortable. He’s been to clean in the pocket and we are just the team to speed this thing up.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I belie

Packers, 30-27
I believe that prior to the season we thought the Vikings would be just average this year. But so far they have played 3 impressive games and played well in all phases. Now historically, no matter which Viking team it is and which QB they use they appear to fall apart in the second half of the season with the exception of a few. This Viking group seems to be different. Maybe it is because they have fallen back to planet earth. So I guess that is why we are concerned this week. And the Packers are still the teenagers of the league. And kids can do the darnedest things.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Alexander was added to the injury list. This is not the week to lose a starting CB of his caliber with Jefferson coming to town.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF is very familiar with the Vikings blitz packages. He just has to make his QB and the rest of the offense aware of it including the TEs and the wideouts.
I think a number of coaches don't like to keep a RB or TE in the backfield to block because they believe it limits their options. But I thought a contributing factor of our loss to Denver in the Super Bowl was because Holmgren refused to keep someone back and the blitz from the outside really rushed Favre. While the options are limited, the RB can go to the flats as a checkoff if there is no blitz and/or he isn't needed and the QB has more time imho. GoPackGo

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Jaire and Carrington both don’t go, that does concern me. Especially if Addison can go…this is the best all around RB/TE/WR group we’ve faced IMO.

We are gonna have to have our off ball backers really do much better than we have and I expect a lot of those packages where we got Gary, JJ, LVN, Quay, Cooper and Smith all in there showing diverse fronts and asking Clark and Wyatt to cook in middle push

OOMPA Tailgate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be a much more daunting task than the last 2 weeks. One good thing is we are at home.
well theee GB home advantage went out the window with...Michael Vick in a very very cold game and TE Tony Gonzalez - as a 2nd point WHY in the hell cant the team cover a TE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOMPA Tailgate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking forward to Aaron Jones screen passes, at all. If Stokes or JA can keep up with Jefferson for 3 seconds the pass rush may get home more often than not. Minny's OLB's look strong, so our OT's will need to be sharp. Love plays, well, but penalties (again!!) derail a few drives.
GB 37-Vikes 34 in OT. Narvy bangs a game winning 50 yarder.
the tossing of the yellow laundry comes from the dum-arses of the crew - look at the trends of these 70+ yr old insurance salesmen - the nfl (hahaha) need ; no matter what to 86 the "good boy officials" they cant run and they can't see a whale in a fish tank

do these morons ever lose their job costing a team a game

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think the Vikes will be exposed in this one. I watched the 49er/ Viking game. Vikings looked good but not great. 49ers looked rusty. I think Love can have a big day. If Love plays at his usual level, he can pick this secondary apart. Vikings defense has lots of guys in the box and you can't tell who is dropping and who is rushing. Packers will do lots of motions and lots of hard counts to try and see what is coming. I am confident in MLF to be creative on offensive and put us in a position to succeed.

I will be at the game.

Packers 27 Vikings 23

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Something hasn’t sat right with me. Someone mentioned that this would be the best Grouping of Weapons we would face (forgive me I couldn’t find the quote so that might not be verbatim). What about the Eagles? I know they don’t have the Top WR in the league but the do have a top grouping.

That has me curious. We all know who are the most dynamic producers at each position on each team. Obviusly Jefferson stands out, but behind him which grouping would you rather play?

QB Sam Darnold
WR Justin Jefferson,
WRJordan Addison,
RB Aaron Jones
TE Josh Oliver/Mundt

Or

QB Jalen Hurts
WR AJ Brown
WR Devonta Smith
RB Saquon Barkley
TE Dallas Goedert

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
The second Question is like to offer. The Vikings are playing really good football right now. That tends to happen when your Defense is firing on all cylinders and your Offense is limiting turnovers and capitalizing in the Redzone. Which MN checks both boxes

So here is my question..

IF GB beats the 3-0 Vikings, who just Won 3 convincing matchups in a row.
Where would we rank in the NFC?

Last edited:

Members online