Studs n duds Brazil edition

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds: The NFL Press Conferences

With technology and the resources/money of the NFL, you would think they could figure out how to make it so the TV audience could actually hear the questions being asked.

At worst, have someone type them up and run it at the bottom of the screen.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That B.S. hold on JA was the game-killer. I HATE that officiating crew. Worst in the NFL and it's not even close! Also, the hold early in that possession that they called on us should have been offset because there was also an illegal hands to the face on the OL that wasn't called on the Iggles.
One posession game lots several bad calls, stupid mistakes, dropped balls, missed tackles, etc. but at the end of the day the Eagles deserved to win.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With an Achilles he wouldn't be able to. With an ACL they wouldn't know until the scans came in.
You can walk on both an achilles and ACL but they would know its an ACL on the field if it were a total rupture. Still looked like an ankle injury to me which COULD also be 7-8 weeks. Whatever it is gotta deal with it.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can walk on both an achilles and ACL but they would know its an ACL on the field if it were a total rupture. Still looked like an ankle injury to me which COULD also be 7-8 weeks. Whatever it is gotta deal with it.

Hard to come up with duds/studs right now. Love thing is a dark cloud. At this point, I'd be content with 7-8 and over the moon with 2-4 weeks. Just looked like a pop/ACL/season thing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the good news. The first game of the season is largely meaningless. Since the 16 game schedule began, 38% of winning teams made the playoffs and 36% of losing teams made the playoffs. Especially in the last 5 years or so it's basically the final preseason game because starters don't play enough in the preseason. If Love ends up being fine, we'll be fine. It always amazes me how many people panic after Week 1, especially when the team you are playing is a likely playoff team too.
Yeah, it's only one game, against a good team. Nobody wins every game unless you're the '72 Dolphins. The only thing that matters right now is Love's health.

Reaction score
I’ll be majorly shocked if the training staff would have Love walking off the field with an ACL or Achiles.
Just from watching it twice. Looks like he got rolled up on like an ankle sprain. Scary though for sure. Hopefully will get more solid news in the morning.

Reaction score
This game was actually relatively evenly matched. Surprisingly we outshined Philly in yardage. It did t feel that way though.
10 Penalties to their 7 hurt some.

Just looking at our early TD get reversed. That 12th man on either team had no bearing, but it was obviously offsetting and we lost 4 points there. I saw at least 3-4 passes that were catchable get dropped by GB. Several more contested drops by us.

I feel like if we played Philly 10 times we’d win 5. I thought the Field was substandard. Very respectable game. I think the Packers will have more growth across the season than Philly. Philly has more seasoned players overall, but we hung with them for 90% of the have. Great job containing Hurts, this wasn’t anything like his shredding I’d up n down in 2022. Had we had 90 seconds instead of 30 in 4-down I think we would’ve came very close to winning that game.

GB 166 Eagles 144 that our Rushing stats. Whi would’ve guessed we’d out run Philly? Emmanuel Wilson looked good. If Philly are a Top Tier OL then how is it that we Rushed for more yards with a higher per carry?
It was a very close game until Love threw that INT in Eagles scoring position. We never recovered our momentum after that play. We were too evenly matched to gain much on each other.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a game where I have tons of thoughts and a few what in Sam **** moments the cake is Nixon running it out at the end….

Unless Bissacia told him to, if I was MLF that was Nixons LAST time back there for a while. Biggest bonehead move…
Probably figured no way to go 70 yards in that little time. So the gamble was that he might pull a Devon Hester.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just from watching it twice. Looks like he got rolled up on like an ankle sprain. Scary though for sure. Hopefully will get more solid news in the morning.
Favre had a few of those. And then he told Sherman he would be starting next week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game was actually relatively evenly matched. Surprisingly we outshined Philly in yardage. It did t feel that way though.
10 Penalties to their 7 hurt some.

Just looking at our early TD get reversed. That 12th man on either team had no bearing, but it was obviously offsetting and we lost 4 points there. I saw at least 3-4 passes that were catchable get dropped by GB. Several more contested drops by us.

I feel like if we played Philly 10 times we’d win 5. I thought the Field was substandard. Very respectable game. I think the Packers will have more growth across the season than Philly. Philly has more seasoned players overall, but we hung with them for 90% of the have. Great job containing Hurts, this wasn’t anything like his shredding I’d up n down in 2022. Had we had 90 seconds instead of 30 in 4-down I think we would’ve came very close to winning that game.

GB 166 Eagles 144 that our Rushing stats. Whi would’ve guessed we’d out run Philly? Emmanuel Wilson looked good. If Philly are a Top Tier OL then how is it that we Rushed for more yards with a higher per carry?
It was a very close game until Love threw that INT in Eagles scoring position. We never recovered our momentum after that play. We were too evenly matched to gain much on each other.
Good analysis. I thought the obvious difference in the game was the Eagles experience and size up front. The Bucs hit them in the mouth last January. That is how you have to play them.
In the red zone the Eagles capitalized. We had to settle for 3 FGs. Barkley did what we could not do in trenches near the goal. And I do not think Dillon would have made any difference. Unless you have a powerful O line with strong blocking TEs you are not going to pound it in unless you have a big FB ala John Kuhn in front of you.
And our kicker made the easy stuff but missed that crucial 43 yarder. Would Joseph have hit it? Who knows? Bad move by LaFleur going for 2. We were not facing the Panthers or Raiders or even the Bears.
We opened last season with about 9 or 10 penalties as well. But that was the Bears. The Eagles are a good enough team to overcome their mistakes unlike most teams.
Both teams were not in mid-season form. Rust showed. The field was unacceptable. The NFL gave it a pass. The officiating was rusty also for both teams. Spofford was livid about the non call grounding by Hurts. He iterated it twice.
Now Love's injury is crucial. If it is for any length we need to look at signing a veteran to the roster. 2 of our wins last season came when facing back up QBs from LA and Minnesota. Very hard to win with a backup. Where is Matt Flynn?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Dud: equipment managers both sides. Everybody was slipping. Even on the last play sack.
Dud: way to many penalties, hard to get any game flow. Refs even made up a few.
Stud: Eagles O-line earned their rating as one of the best. They were the difference in the game.
Dud: Were these the Eagles home announcers?
Stud: Wilson looked good running and eventually Jacobs caught on.
Stud: Reed and the defensive game plan to keep Hurts from killing you. Eventually defense wore out from the afore mentioned O-line.

All in all not a disaster for the youngest team in the league. Again MLF cannot win 2 time zones away.
Potential dud: Was Love seriously injured?
My thoughts exactly. We watched the same game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A real dud goes to Roger Goodell, its a crime to let a professional football team play on a field that was meant for after drinking flag football, could have been serious injuries to both teams,even and official had to look at, Mexico had a better field, NFL should not blow the hype smoke unless its completely safe for both teams
We've all seen bad fields, we live in WI and our team plays at Lambeau. But that was the worst playing field I've ever seen for an NFL game. Even adjusting cleats didn't help. There was no excuse for not knowing in advance how un-NFL ready that field was. Goodell should be docked a few million for allowing that game to be played.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That B.S. hold on JA was the game-killer. I HATE that officiating crew. Worst in the NFL and it's not even close! Also, the hold early in that possession that they called on us should have been offset because there was also an illegal hands to the face on the OL that wasn't called on the Iggles.
I can usually deal with a bad officiating crew, but last might was awful. It started with a missed PI call on the guy guarding Watson for what would have been a TD. It didn't get any better. The calls were bad on both teams.

That said the Packers had way too many routine penalties, offensive and defensive off sides to be specific. They just played a sloppy field, bad playing surface or not.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to come up with duds/studs right now. Love thing is a dark cloud. At this point, I'd be content with 7-8 and over the moon with 2-4 weeks. Just looked like a pop/ACL/season thing.
Judging from MLF'S mood in the press conference after the game, the injury is severe. All week long I was afraid the trip to Brasil would wreck the entire season. If Love is out for the season it would pose some interesting questions. I would treat every game like a pre-season game and rest the starters to see what the depth guys can do. Since some guys have production perks in their contracts, that might not be feasible even if it makes the most sense. If the season is over, it makes no sense to have the young roster exposed to additional severe injuries. I think the league deserves 16 uncompetitive games for putting the Packers through the ridiculous Brasil fiasco.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Judging from MLF'S mood in the press conference after the game, the injury is severe. All week long I was afraid the trip to Brasil would wreck the entire season. If Love is out for the season it would pose some interesting questions. I would treat every game like a pre-season game and rest the starters to see what the depth guys can do. Since some guys have production perks in their contracts, that might not be feasible even if it makes the most sense. If the season is over, it makes no sense to have the young roster exposed to additional severe injuries. I think the league deserves 16 uncompetitive games for putting the Packers through the ridiculous Brasil fiasco.
Brazil was a fiasco, no doubt. The NFL had to know, or should have known that the field was totally unsuitable for an NFL game. It was despicable and Goodell needs to answer for this.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: offensive line. They started poorly last season as well.

Refs: as with every other fan of a losing team, the penalties seemed unbalanced.

Oh well. Hope JL is okay.

They played better than some are giving credit for. Eagles are a very good and talented team. Last season they looked unstoppable through the first 10 games. Then they stopped. That DT Jalen Carter looks like an Uber Stud.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord. I'm glad I didn't fork over the $$ to get Peacock and on top of it all Love might be seriously injured. Our season might be cooked after one damn game. What time does the Badgers game start today? :(

I blame the owners for this mess tbh. The league is so eager to spread this game globally for the money and to hell with their American fans who made the league what is is today. I'm just glad this home game was taken away from Philly and not us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord. I'm glad I didn't fork over the $$ to get Peacock and on top of it all Love might be seriously injured. Our season might be cooked after one damn game. What time does the Badgers game start today? :(

I blame the owners for this mess tbh. The league is so eager to spread this game globally for the money and to hell with their American fans who made the league what is is today. I'm just glad this home game was taken away from Philly and not us.
I don't like the international games, and especially a game played in a place that is very hard to reach. I've been on 10 plus hour flights. They are draining, even in first class or business class.

Keep the games in the USA.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All the owners? you mean we only have ourselves to blame?:D

To me it all comes down to one word...sloppy. It wasn't a bad game. I don't necessarily think any particular player looked like total crap. I can't say I saw one performance that made me think "that guy has to go" I don't think the play calling was bad. There were a few that seemed pretty telegraphed to me but every game is going to have those. I thought whatever the the plan was to contain Hurts was a pretty damn good one to be honest. You could see guys going with their rush but as soon as Hurts decided to move those guys changed their goals and for the most part it worked. Even the big gain up the middle towards the end was shut down on the outside first.

Seriously though did anyone honestly expect anything different? Our starter played what? 10 snaps during three pre season games. We sure got good looks at those 45 guys who are bagging groceries now though.

The Eagles are a very good football team. You don't go 10-1 the season before by not being good and you don't all of a sudden suck and you certainly don't carry that "suckiness" into the next season unless you have a major drop off in talent. They had their issues as well last night and we had our chances. We lost to a team that was simply more composed and made more out of our mistakes than we did out of theirs.

So that brings me back to my word sloppy. Missed tackles, stupid penalties, drops and a few other things not to mention the field. Clear up a few of these things and the outcome is different IMO. The good news is those thing are clear upable. The biggest worry at the moment is even if we do clear those things up is it going to matter.

I started this post with a bit of levity (it was supposed to be levity) and I'll end it that way. It was a comment made buy BIL (A Bears fan and certified Packers hater) but it was still pretty funny. At least I thought it was.

When Love went down and there was 8 seconds left I said "even if it is just one of those plays that looks bad but you are able to return right away he still has to sit out for one play and that's all there is time for" So Willis comes in and throws that whatever the hell it was to the sidelines and I said "what the hell was that" My BIL says "maybe he is hoping that all Love needed was too sit out for one play."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This game was actually relatively evenly matched. Surprisingly we outshined Philly in yardage.

I agree, but the 3-1 turnover ratio I think helped make it look closer than it was.

Anytime you are +2 in the turnover dept., you should win a game. The Packers got what, 6 points off of turnovers?

I'm still not a fan of whomever is calling the offensive plays. Last I heard it was Stenavich. Stop calling runs up the middle on 3rd or 4th and one. JFC, the defense knows its coming and stuffs it! You got a dynamic play maker in Jordan Reed and a very capable pass catching TE, use them as such. Just a bit too Vanilla of an offense for my liking.

Once again the Packers defense looks weak in the front 7 and nobody seems to know how to wrap up a tackle.

1 game, lots of time to clean things up, but if Love is out for any extended period of time, this season may look a lot like the one that the Jets had last year.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A real dud goes to Roger Goodell, its a crime to let a professional football team play on a field that was meant for after drinking flag football, could have been serious injuries to both teams,even and official had to look at, Mexico had a better field, NFL should not blow the hype smoke unless its completely safe for both teams
Typical of Goodell. He's going to ruin this game by his bs. Game only on peacock? Good 1 Goodell. Thanks a lot. Make sure we have to pay more, well, sorry, I'll watch the re-run.