Studs n duds Brazil edition

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've often wondered why, if he ends up in a "play, or we take back (fill in the blank)" a guy like that doesn't just show up for work but throw the ball away anytime someone gets within 10 feet of him. He's certainly not looking to catch on with another team, and, if the money's that important, the shot to the ego shouldn't be a factor.
Yup

Guys don't show up for practices and threaten to sit out games, when they think they deserve more money. No reason why they wouldn't do what you are describing. Especially if they and their own doctor thinks they are at high risk for medical complications if they do keep playing.

I'll say it again, guaranteed contracts are going to kill the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's exactly what we were told to expect from the beginning and you are right, if the O had scored a TD on just one of those first two TOs I think its a different outcome.

What concerns me the most about this week is Taylor. After seeing what Barkley did Taylor scares me. After the way we contained Hurts I'm a little more relaxed on Richardson but we are at a disadvantage in this situation. We see what we did with Hurts and say lets just do that with Richardson but the Colts can see what we did and scheme to exploit it. Its kind of like halftime adjustments. If a team is getting knocked around in the first half they adjust what they have been doing but the team that has been doing the knocking around figures lets just keep on doing what we have been doing. You have to be able to adjust to the adjustments the other team makes.

I'm going to cut DC Hafley some slack to start. New system, a few new players in it and it might take a game or two for it to all come together. Remember, very few of the starters played more than a few snaps in the preseason. Sure, they practiced together, but there is no comparison between practice and live/real football, against another team.

I still think Clark is over-rated. Yeah, he is starter caliber and maybe slightly above average, but unless I am missing something, the Packers overpaid the guy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to cut DC Hafley some slack to start. New system, a few new players in it and it might take a game or two for it to all come together. Remember, very few of the starters played more than a few snaps in the preseason. Sure, they practiced together, but there is no comparison between practice and live/real football, against another team.

I still think Clark is over-rated. Yeah, he is starter caliber and maybe slightly above average, but unless I am missing something, the Packers overpaid the guy.
Clark is good but he may be overrated in that he is probably the best down lineman we have had on the DL since the days of BJ Raji and Cullen Jenkins. And that is quite a while. So when you have had no one else you can appear better than you are. Aside from that Kenny Clark has lasted quite a few years with the same team.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You think everybody overpaid everybody :D :D :D

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will see. I actually think they are targeting the MN game. I truly believe that this injury is nowhere near what they thought it was. There's no structural damage. I think it is more of a pain management thing and a swelling issue.

As a frame of reference:
Thanks for sharing this, I hope things are not too bad. Let's hope JL is out there and leading us back greatness. PH looked better afterward, but we'll see in a few weeks.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe that this injury is nowhere near what they thought it was. There's no structural damage. I think it is more of a pain management thing and a swelling issue.

I agree that it's a hell of a lot less serious than it looked at first, but if it truly is sprained (as they say) there is definitely structural damage. Any time you have a sprained or strained muscle, tendon, or ligament, there is at least some tearing of the soft tissue, and if you strain that injured tissue before it's had a chance to knit back together, there's a serious risk that you'll tear it even further.

I had a Grade I strain of the hamstring tendon in the back of my knee a few years ago, and by Week Two, it was healing up pretty well already. Then an ignorant, one-toothed hillbilly "physical therapist" overstretched the tendon way beyond where it was supposed to be, and I actually felt the tendon rip like a piece of cloth. In 3 seconds flat, she turned a Grade I tendon strain that was ahead of the timeline in healing to a severe Grade II that took over 8 more months to fully heal. (Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Kentucky?)

I'm not saying that's something that's likely to happen with Love, because his rehab is being managed by highly competent professionals. Plus, he's less than half my age, which was a factor in my case. But the point is, the first couple of weeks after a sprain or strain, the injury has to be handled very gently.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear Tua just played his last NFL snap...and I strongly believe he ought to walk away. That young man has millions and is a literal time bomb of head injuries...it isn't worthy Tua. Not for a second is it worth it.

That was my first thought too, and I still think that.

This is at least his 3rd concussion in just over 2 years, and 4th in less than 5 years. Less than a year a half ago, he spent much of the off-season seriously discussing with his family whether he should even return for 2023. In the end, he obviously decided to return to the team, but I have to believe that that conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Tua has already been picked up where it left off 15 months ago.

I don't know a whole lot about their family, but I do know that the family is a very high priority for him - especially his son, who recently turned 2. He said a big part of his reason for not retiring was because he wanted to still be playing NFL football when his son was old enough to not just see Dad play, but to be able to understand and appreciate his abilities.

So that makes me wonder.... if his son is that important to him, and he loves him that much, how much does that affect his decision right now on whether this is a risk he wants to continue taking? As a married man, I have to believe that when last year's cpnversation about retirement came to an end, it ended with some sort of mutual agreement that if the concussions continue, so does the discussion.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tua's deal included $167M guaranteed for injury,$43M of which has been paid in 2024. Now if he is medically cleared to play and walks away, there will be a legal battle for the unpaid amount of $124M. If doctors say he needs to retire, than the team will owe him that $124M.

I wonder how much of the delay in getting him signed was high-stakes haggling over how it would be determined that he "needs" to retire - if it came to that. What criteria was agreed upon that both sides would accept as the final word, in the event that Dolphin doctors and Tua doctors didn't see eye to eye.

Because you know damned well that the Phins were very much aware that their 200 million dollar man was just one bell-ringer away from out of the league forever. I'd like to see the exact language of the contract, and see how they "C"ed their "A"s.

Again, I won't get into the ungodly amounts here, except to say, that type of situation would be a crushing blow to the Dolphin franchise. Not just the loss of Tua, but the cap hits sustained.

CBS Sports has a really interesting article on that. Most of it is miles (if not light years) over my head, but... well... I dunno. At least it sounds like they know what they're talking about! :laugh:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder how much of the delay in getting him signed was high-stakes haggling over how it would be determined that he "needs" to retire - if it came to that. What criteria was agreed upon that both sides would accept as the final word, in the event that Dolphin doctors and Tua doctors didn't see eye to eye.

Because you know damned well that the Phins were very much aware that their 200 million dollar man was just one bell-ringer away from out of the league forever. I'd like to see the exact language of the contract, and see how they "C"ed their "A"s.

CBS Sports has a really interesting article on that. Most of it is miles (if not light years) over my head, but... well... I dunno. At least it sounds like they know what they're talking about! :laugh:

Basically, he could be out about $124 million if he is medically cleared and decides to retire. Now some of that might be given to him on some type of medical settlement, but unless it goes to some type of arbitration/court, the Dolphins wouldn't be obligated to pay him the unearned parts of his guaranteed, including portions of his signing bonus.

The question I have, if you are Tua and you are 100% sure that you don't want to risk another head injury, but don't want to give up the money, how do you stay on the team and make the Dolphins not want to play you again. :whistling:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's a hell of a lot less serious than it looked at first, but if it truly is sprained (as they say) there is definitely structural damage. Any time you have a sprained or strained muscle, tendon, or ligament, there is at least some tearing of the soft tissue, and if you strain that injured tissue before it's had a chance to knit back together, there's a serious risk that you'll tear it even further.

I had a Grade I strain of the hamstring tendon in the back of my knee a few years ago, and by Week Two, it was healing up pretty well already. Then an ignorant, one-toothed hillbilly "physical therapist" overstretched the tendon way beyond where it was supposed to be, and I actually felt the tendon rip like a piece of cloth. In 3 seconds flat, she turned a Grade I tendon strain that was ahead of the timeline in healing to a severe Grade II that took over 8 more months to fully heal. (Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Kentucky?)

I'm not saying that's something that's likely to happen with Love, because his rehab is being managed by highly competent professionals. Plus, he's less than half my age, which was a factor in my case. But the point is, the first couple of weeks after a sprain or strain, the injury has to be handled very gently.
Don't say stuff like that. I'm 3 weeks post rotator cuff surgery and so far on a scale of 1-10 I'd say my worst pain has been a 4. I've not started any active PT yet though. Just range of motion and keeping it loose type stuff. My therapist seems pretty good though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't say stuff like that. I'm 3 weeks post rotator cuff surgery and so far on a scale of 1-10 I'd say my worst pain has been a 4. I've not started any active PT yet though. Just range of motion and keeping it loose type stuff. My therapist seems pretty good though.
Wow! Rotator cuff rehab was pretty tough for me. I started it pretty early though and glad I did

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we all had a good laugh about players maybe wearing those practice helmet pads during games, but JFC, something has to be done about the "protection" that the current helmet appears not to be providing.
I noticed at least one player in both games this season had added padding external to their helmet. I haven't noticed a Packers player that I recall.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I noticed at least one player in both games this season had added padding external to their helmet. I haven't noticed a Packers player that I recall.

Yeah, I noticed Rodney Thomas II was wearing one against the Packers yesterday. 6 players so far have worn the Guardian Cap.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You have the chair where your arm is attached to something that rotates?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have the chair where your arm is attached to something that rotates?
Yup. Chair and ice machine. Just got some new exercises from the PT today. Apparently I am starting the strengthening phase with some isometrics. Everyone I have talked to says how lucky I am. Unless I move it just right there is essentially no pain at all. I don't know if my PT thinks I am trying to be tough or what but truthfully the worst part has been trying to find a comfortable position to sleep and its not because of pain. I just have a very difficult time falling asleep on my back so I lay awake at night. I can sleep on my left side (it was my right shoulder) but after 20-30 minutes my hip starts to get sore so if I'm not sleeping by then its back on my back to lay there some more.

The biggest pain so far has been in my *** trying to schedule an appointment through Aurora's central scheduling or whatever the heck they call it. One of my doctors even gave me a number to call to complain about it. They all hate it.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Rotator cuff rehab was pretty tough for me. I started it pretty early though and glad I did
Did you do the chair
Yup. Chair and ice machine. Just got some new exercises from the PT today. Apparently I am starting the strengthening phase with some isometrics. Everyone I have talked to says how lucky I am. Unless I move it just right there is essentially no pain at all. I don't know if my PT thinks I am trying to be tough or what but truthfully the worst part has been trying to find a comfortable position to sleep and its not because of pain. I just have a very difficult time falling asleep on my back so I lay awake at night. I can sleep on my left side (it was my right shoulder) but after 20-30 minutes my hip starts to get sore so if I'm not sleeping by then its back on my back to lay there some more.

The biggest pain so far has been in my *** trying to schedule an appointment through Aurora's central scheduling or whatever the heck they call it. One of my doctors even gave me a number to call to complain about it. They all hate it.
Aurora- yuk lol

But I had that ice machine..it's awesome. I also had a recliner to sleep in. Lot easier than a bed

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you do the chair
I don't know what the chair is. I didn't use ice either. Maybe the PT did. Don't remember. But trying to roll a balloon like ball up the wall at home was really tough. And the PT guy seemed to know exactly how far to stretch my arm until I could not take it anymore.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what the chair is. I didn't use ice either. Maybe the PT did. Don't remember. But trying to roll a balloon like ball up the wall at home was really tough. And the PT guy seemed to know exactly how far to stretch my arm until I could not take it anymore.
Chair has an arm that attaches to your shoulder and it rotates it

Theres a wrap goes around your shoulder and tubes innit go thru a cooler full of ice

Circulates coldness around shoulder

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you do the chair

Aurora- yuk lol

But I had that ice machine..it's awesome. I also had a recliner to sleep in. Lot easier than a bed
All the people I have have had face to face interaction with at Aurora have been awesome. Phone interaction though, not at all

I used my recliner for a couple of weeks and it was the only way I could sleep. Then it broke and I had to try the bed. It was rough for a couple of nights but its better now.

I'm just starting that phase of the recovery. Just some isometrics for now. I'm only 3 weeks post surgery so I'm still in the immobilizer when I'm not doing PT or the chair. Well, I'm supposed to be but when I'm sitting still watching TV I have it off.