Packers vs Broncos Pre Season Game #2 Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thought Stenavich was calling plays tonight.

Not making any grandiose predictions on the upcoming season any more than I was with the game last week. Or next week.

I will say I'm not sure our week 1 kicker is on the team right now. Seems like a competition to see who sucks less.
Kevin Harlan or John Kuhn said that Stenavich was calling plays.

I realize it was a preseason game, but I haven't been a fan of Stenavich since the Packers promoted him to OC. I thought he did a great job with the OL for a few years, but he's not a good play caller IMO. Promoting him might have been the only way to keep him in GB, but I hope MLF takes back the play calling duties, permanently.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the biggest complaints about Joe Barry's D was the soft coverage of the CBs. This was one PS game and one observation so I don't think it's a cause for concern. It certainly will be a cause of concern if the starters play that way, but still unlikely.

Preseason games are not just to get a look at talent. Like Brock Purdy said its a time to try things you wouldn't risk in a regular season game just to see if they work. Like having your OC call the plays perhaps. Its also not a time to show your hole card. Yes you want to give your guys a chance to work into your new system but most of these guys are not the guys who will be running it so what good is it really to show what you are planning. Most of the guys playing last night were not going to benefit from playing the scheme you intend to run so why give it away.

As far as looking at talent I'd say probably 50 of the 53 roster spots are already locked up or at least 95% locked up. Yes, some of those guys out there last night are part of that 50 and you would like to see them perform better. Its possible that they could play themselves off the 53 man roster but I think the coaches are looking for those last 3 guys and they are not necessarily looking for splash plays, especially not against backups. They are looking for the little things that might be beneficial for a 3rd stringer to bring to the table should they be called upon. Little things that might not be apparent to us at full game speed with TV camera angles.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Preseason games are not just to get a look at talent. Like Brock Purdy said its a time to try things you wouldn't risk in a regular season game just to see if they work. Like having your OC call the plays perhaps. Its also not a time to show your hole card. Yes you want to give your guys a chance to work into your new system but most of these guys are not the guys who will be running it so what good is it really to show what you are planning. Most of the guys playing last night were not going to benefit from playing the scheme you intend to run so why give it away.

As far as looking at talent I'd say probably 50 of the 53 roster spots are already locked up or at least 95% locked up. Yes, some of those guys out there last night are part of that 50 and you would like to see them perform better. Its possible that they could play themselves off the 53 man roster but I think the coaches are looking for those last 3 guys and they are not necessarily looking for splash plays, especially not against backups. They are looking for the little things that might be beneficial for a 3rd stringer to bring to the table should they be called upon. Little things that might not be apparent to us at full game speed with TV camera angles.
Fully agree.

For most teams, preseason games have basically become full scale auditions for the backups. Anyone trying to infer how a team will look in the regular season, based on preseason performances, is just providing lip service. While I am sure that the film is helpful in evaluating those last few roster spots, coaches most likely whiz through it, only concentrating on those few players that they consider to be on the bubble. Trying to decipher how said player(s) performed is tricky. Taking into account, that the guys playing around him, on both sides of the ball most likely won't be playing much longer in the NFL.

As far as the Packers go, I didn't really see a single players last night do a whole lot that would scream "Keep me, I am THIS good!", especially on offense. Neither of the backup QB's looked like legit #2 backups. The WR's and TE's all looked like guys that at best will be PS players. The RB's didn't show me anything and the OL seemed to be hot and cold all night, mostly cold.

About the only 2 guys on defense that stood out to me were Cox and Welch. If there was any doubt of keeping Cox on the 53, there shouldn't be anymore. Welch appears to be a decent depth guy, while probably becoming a top performer on special teams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Hopper looked really good. He diagnosed the plays and as soon as the RB had the ball; he jumped to the inside of 2nd level blockers to be able to get in on the play. He also hit hard. He sure looks like a keeper to me and I think will play some this year. I hope he is big enough for the pounding he gives and takes. He is strong enough.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems likely the RBs on the 53 will be Jacobs, Lloyd, and probably Wilson. Have to take a leap of faith with Lloyd. He was drafted as the next #1 RB. But yeah, a lot of time missed is not good.....

I can't see Dillon not making it. He's cheap (counts less against the cap than he is actually paid) and knows the offense. He's not a world beater, but he can pass protect reliably.

He's also stylistically more-similar to Jacobs than Jones, which might help him and the offense by drilling the same plays vs. the plays that Jones can do well and the plays Dillon can do well.

OOMPA Tailgate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These Denver commentators are just bad.
I was watching the very questionable - almost inane camera work for the game and I always listen to the local (in state radio broadcast- even though there is a time delay)

Maybe because pot is legal in the state? :)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These Denver commentators are just bad.
I didn't like how they said Lombardi had three NFL championships, and he won the first two Super Bowls. No, he won five NFL championships, including the first two Super Bowls.

Reaction score
I didn't like how they said Lombardi had three NFL championships, and he won the first two Super Bowls. No, he won five NFL championships, including the first two Super Bowls.
I know it. What’s even funnier is they were talking how if the Broncos “fast start” translates to the regular season they could be really amazing this season.
They were playing their starters against our B team going all the way into Q2. Stidham came in after we threw an INT and was already in the Redzone for that TD. I think it was like 14 yards etc to score? Anyway point being the first 17 points weren’t even the doing of some great Offense as much as it was our O gave them help.

I’m not suggesting they won’t be good or bad for that matter. I’m just saying using the first half as a barometer for this season just shows the level of desperation commentators from Denver have. It’s like they were trying to convince themselves they’ve already Won the AFC which is ridiculous.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best post of the lot. Throw out the scrubs and see if anything floats to the top. There are only a few spots available. Like the clip they showed of Terrell Davis making himself known for a preseason special teams play, see if anyone differentiates themself and then make your roster moves.

I expect a little more effort when the Packers play their final preseason game at Lambeau, but expect more of the same. Keep watching Monk and all of these rookies to see if any of them are showing some promise. I doubt anyone will dominate the game, but someone will show something.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excellent observations sschind. MLF is not going to give anything away in a meaningless game like this. And the last thing anyone wants to happen is injury. So play the CBs back and minimize impact.

I may have mentioned it somewhere else, but these games appear very different to us than the coaches. I agree with you that there are probably only 3 positions that haven't been decided. The coaches know the positions and the players competing and are watching that.

Reaction score
As far as the Packers go, I didn't really see a single players last night do a whole lot that would scream "Keep me, I am THIS good!"
I agree.
That said I really can see a scenario where if Pratt was behind a A team OL I don’t think the game would be too big for him. Especially once he gets a few games under his belt. Overall he looked pretty accurate and good arm strength, ran the Offense efficiently. I didn’t think his Receivers gave him any help I counted a few contested drops

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best post of the lot. Throw out the scrubs and see if anything floats to the top. There are only a few spots available. Like the clip they showed of Terrell Davis making himself known for a preseason special teams play, see if anyone differentiates themself and then make your roster moves.

I expect a little more effort when the Packers play their final preseason game at Lambeau, but expect more of the same. Keep watching Monk and all of these rookies to see if any of them are showing some promise. I doubt anyone will dominate the game, but someone will show something.
The final preseason game will tell a lot of who is going to make the roster. Not necessarily for the coaches but for those watching. Unless he is injured or a clear cut #1 if he doesn't play he won't be around. Why waste time on guys you've already made your decision on. That's what week 2 was for, to give the bottom guys a chance to change the coaches mind that were probably 75% or better made up. Expect the #1's to get some time to shake the rust off , maybe up to a quarter or a bit more if they don't do anything. After that its going to be guys fighting for depth chart positioning and maybe a few true bubble guys. I'd expect to see a lot of Melton, DuBose, Heath and Toure who normally wouldn't be bubble guys but with our WR depth they certainly are. My bet is one of these guys will make the team based on his PS week three performance

I can't see Dillon not making it. He's cheap (counts less against the cap than he is actually paid) and knows the offense. He's not a world beater, but he can pass protect reliably.

He's also stylistically more-similar to Jacobs than Jones, which might help him and the offense by drilling the same plays vs. the plays that Jones can do well and the plays Dillon can do well.

Depends on the injury to Lloyd but I could easily see a scenario where Lloyd is placed on IR and they keep Dillon and Wilson and decide what to do when Lloyd comes back.

Reaction score
Depends on the injury to Lloyd but I could easily see a scenario where Lloyd is placed on IR and they keep Dillon and Wilson and decide what to do when Lloyd comes back.
Yeah, Might even be an avenue just to buy some time. They can work him back in once he’s eligible

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Might even be an avenue just to buy some time. They can work him back in once he’s eligible
How long would Lloyd have to stay on IR? I think it's four weeks, maybe six. If Lloyd can't fully participate for another 2 to 3 weeks, this is the best way to go.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long would Lloyd have to stay on IR? I think it's four weeks, maybe six. If Lloyd can't fully participate for another 2 to 3 weeks, this is the best way to go.
The catch is to be re-activatable, he has to make the initial 53. Typical for weird things to happen for this to work out. Maybe Wilson is unlikely to be picked up, so they cut him, IR Lloyd, and then re-sign him. If he is likely to be picked up, then maybe it's the number 4 safety who is put on the loop.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The catch is to be re-activatable, he has to make the initial 53. Typical for weird things to happen for this to work out. Maybe Wilson is unlikely to be picked up, so they cut him, IR Lloyd, and then re-sign him. If he is likely to be picked up, then maybe it's the number 4 safety who is put on the loop.
Gotcha, thanks. so Lloyd has to be on the 53, then he's moved to IR, and ideally, they move Wilson from the PS to replace him. I think Wilson would clear waivers and then he can be put on the PS. So that would leave a weak one RB group of Jacobs, Dillon, and Wilson. Thanks for clearing that up.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks. so Lloyd has to be on the 53, then he's moved to IR, and ideally, they move Wilson from the PS to replace him. I think Wilson would clear waivers and then he can be put on the PS. So that would leave a weak one RB group of Jacobs, Dillon, and Wilson. Thanks for clearing that up.

You wouldn't even have to put Wilson on the PS. Put Lloyd on IR as soon as possible and immediately re-sign Wilson (again, assuming that's how they play it out). You have to wait some time (1 day? 3?) before you can sign players to your PS.

They might also want to carry 4 RB normally. We're assuming they want only 3. Maybe they plan on using RBs on kickoff return during the regular season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems likely the RBs on the 53 will be Jacobs, Lloyd, and probably Wilson. Have to take a leap of faith with Lloyd. He was drafted as the next #1 RB. But yeah, a lot of time missed is not good.....
Dillon wasn't suited up last night for a reason, I think that reason was that he is safely on the 53. I haven't read anything about him being injured, so I have to guess MLF wasn't risking injury to his #2 RB.

Wilson is a dime a dozen RB in the NFL. I just don't see anything special about the guy. Cutting him and then resigning him to the PS, has almost zero risk in my opinion. Every team has at least 1 or 2 RB's just like him and most cut them and then resign them to their Practice squad. The value to teams is not that a guy like Wilson is a soon to be blossoming star, it's the fact that he knows their offense and can jump right in at any given time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You wouldn't even have to put Wilson on the PS. Put Lloyd on IR as soon as possible and immediately re-sign Wilson (again, assuming that's how they play it out). You have to wait some time (1 day? 3?) before you can sign players to your PS.
I think players have to clear the waiver wire BEFORE a team can reclaim them or sign them to their PS. I could be wrong. Also, Wilson would have the option to sign onto any other teams PS, if he gets an offer. Probably not a smart move on his part, but possible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree.
That said I really can see a scenario where if Pratt was behind a A team OL I don’t think the game would be too big for him. Especially once he gets a few games under his belt. Overall he looked pretty accurate and good arm strength, ran the Offense efficiently. I didn’t think his Receivers gave him any help I counted a few contested drops
I'm still not optimistic about the Packers making it all the way to the SB this season. However, if they think they have a legit shot, I wouldn't be opposed to buying insurance and signing a veteran journeyman QB like Ryan Tannehill. I had high hopes for Clifford to become a decent #2, but in his second year, those hopes are all but gone. Pratt might develop into an average backup, but if something happens to Love and the Packers are a legit team, I would rather see a guy with a lot of starting experience come in.

It would be expensive insurance, probably in the $5-8M range, but if a SB is the goal and a legit one, might be worth the investment. A guy like Tannehill also adds veteran influence to a young offense and he might even be able to teach Love and Pratt a few things in the process.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think players have to clear the waiver wire BEFORE a team can reclaim them or sign them to their PS. I could be wrong. Also, Wilson would have the option to sign onto any other teams PS, if he gets an offer.

You are correct. Basic flow, as I understand it is:

1. Cut down to 53
2. Non-vested vets are subjected to waivers. I think this sits here for 24 hours? Might be longer, this only happens once per year
3. Once players clear waivers, they are free to sign with any team (including their own) or join any teams practice squad that offers them.

In the Wilson/Lloyd situation, he'd be a fool to not sign to a team vs our practice squad. Our PS vs someone else's PS is a toss up.

The safer pick is to find a backup, vested vet that loves to play for you and won't hit you with some dead cap if you cut him. He's not subjected to waivers, so you let him know "this is just a game to get Lloyd to IR, we're bringing you back in 2 days," and then you do so. Much less risk. Of course, as you as we are, I'm not sure we have anyone on the roster who meets that criteria.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You are correct. Basic flow, as I understand it is:

1. Cut down to 53
2. Non-vested vets are subjected to waivers. I think this sits here for 24 hours? Might be longer, this only happens once per year
3. Once players clear waivers, they are free to sign with any team (including their own) or join any teams practice squad that offers them.

In the Wilson/Lloyd situation, he'd be a fool to not sign to a team vs our practice squad. Our PS vs someone else's PS is a toss up.

The safer pick is to find a backup, vested vet that loves to play for you and won't hit you with some dead cap if you cut him. He's not subjected to waivers, so you let him know "this is just a game to get Lloyd to IR, we're bringing you back in 2 days," and then you do so. Much less risk. Of course, as you as we are, I'm not sure we have anyone on the roster who meets that criteria.
Good break down.

I highly doubt a team would want to sign Wilson to their 53. With Lloyd hurt and Dillon not looking like a premier #2, I think Wilson sees that he will have an opportunity to play in GB and would gladly resign to the PS. Especially, knowing he probably suits up in week 1 and beyond, if Lloyd is put on IR.

I guess I need to ask people here, what do you see in him that I must be missing? Seems like every year we have guys just like him at both RB and WR. If they know the playbook and can jump right in, that is their biggest asset. Otherwise, they don't have a lot of value to other teams.

If I was in Gute's shoes, I risk trying to get Wilson on the PS. I also tell MLF not to play him much, if at all on Saturday. Last thing you want is him getting hurt or in this situation, maybe even worse, him putting together some super impressive film that foils the cut and sign plan.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past yes, they had to be on the final 53 to be put on IR and be eligible to return. There is a new rule this season. Teams can put 2 players on IR on the cutdown day and they do not count against the 53 man roster. Those players are eligible to come back after 4 weeks