Packers vs Broncos Pre Season Game #2 Thread

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I've got out of this "game" so far is the Pack lacks quality depth in many areas. Crap
Does seem to be a significant dropoff between our "A" team and our "B" team. I suppose (to be charitable) that it could have something to do with the fact that almost all of our backups are rookies or 2nd-year guys who rartely if ever got on the field last season, whereas with a lot of teams, the 2nd stringers at least have experience.

Am I just full of crap here? Is there any merit to that, or am I just trying too hard to put the lipstick on that pig?

If there's any substance to it, it may be a weakness we had so far not fully understood about the pluses and minuses of having the youngest team in the eage 2 years in a row.

Damn, though - Bo Nix really does look like he's got the goods. They found their QB, I think. I'm glad he's in the AFC.

Tyrone Hopper sure brought a lot of "pow" to the game tonight; he's going to set the tone on our D in a lot of games.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why did we just let :25 seconds runnoff?? We just don’t want to play anymore? This is weird

Please don’t let PR Stanley make the roster. That’s twice he looked timid

That was a D- grade Packer Preseason performance. I’m glad I wasn’t there. Lol

Last edited:

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminded me of sitting in Lambeau for the Lions game last year when they had 0 yards of offense for most of the game. I know it was not many of our ones, but that O put out there in both halfs was crap.

Reaction score
Look at the bright side. Cutdowns won’t seem so difficult! :eek:

The Good:
I liked what I saw from Ty’ron Hopper.
11 Tackles not only led the team but was 5 more than anyone else. 26 Packers has at least 1 tackle which is like record or something.

Brenton Cox showed up with a QB hit and Sack in limited snaps.

Michael Pratt looked decent for a Rookie. He rarely had time, but he looked ok while his OL was playing poorly. Sean Clifford played poorly. Granted it was mostly their A team there

Daniel Whelan had a good Day.
4 punts for a 55 average and 2 inside the 20. A 50 yarder placed perfectly just outside the 10 yard line, where he also drew a flag. Another one he did a nice fake (fell when his plant foot got barely touched) a 1st Down!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im trying to be positive. Im positive I’m very unsure of our backups that were out there tonight

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very much looking forward to finally seeing a preseason game with Packer announcers next Saturday.
i had the Packer announcers on. There was a lot of ifs and buts. They tried to be positive, but not much positive in that showing.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any word on how long RB Lloyd will be out?
It's a hamstring (which You probably already knew, but just in case), and the official word is that he is expected to be ready to rock n roll in Rio. But you know how that goes. When it comes to injuries, the "official word" and the truth are often very loosely related to each other.

First of all, you never know with hamstrings, and second, even if he is fully recovered, 3 weeks from now he'll have missed a hell of a lot of pre-season snaps. He should have been piling up reps this month, getting his timing down, getting into a sunchronized rhythm with Love... learning how to read his blockers and anticipate how plays develop, and for that matter perfect his own blocking responsibilities on passing downs (because we need Love to still be upright and alive at the end of every weekend.)

Third, if you look closely at the injury updates, it appears that they initially either underdiagnosed the severity of the injury, or underreported it. It was initially reported as a Grade I in early August (exact date unspecified, but at least several days before the 10th), which would have meant a likely return to full status by this time.

Now they're saying they expect him to be up to speed in 2-3 weeks, which suggests that it either was greater than Grade I to begin with, or has worsened or been delayed. Which either way would mean there's no reiable way to guess where he's at it in his recovery. Remember Christian Watson a year ago, who went through a very similar situation and missed most of the season all told.

This double-whammy injury business (hip injury, then hamstring) has held him back, any way you look at it, and LaFleur is now letting it be known he's fustrated and disappointed - that at this stage of the preseason, he had really hoped Lloyd would be further along and the team was hoping they'd have had a better idea of where the guy they were counting on as their running back of the future actually stands. It's definitely becoming an issue, but hopefully doesn't turn into the same sort of scenario we saw with Watson a year ago.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the bright side. Cutdowns won’t seem so difficult! :eek:

The Good:
l Pratt looked decent for a Rookie. He rarely had time, but he looked ok while his OL was playing poorly.

Yeah, the longer Pratt played, the more comnfortable he looked and the more I liked him. He had a very difficulte situiation to manage - running a 2nd string offense against an NFL-level defense in what was basically his first game at this level, but he showed me a lot by the way he stuck with it, learned as he went, and looked for ways to improve on everu snap.

3 months ago, this kid was studyibng for finals in college, tonight he was playing a respectable game against an NFL team, and he didn't look st all intimidated to me. I could see whay some mocks (especially early ones) had him going in the 1st; he's got something going on.

Sean Clifford played poorly. Granted it was mostly their A team there

He really does seem to have regeressed from what we saw of him a year ago.. I'm disappointed; I'd had high hopes for him. I thnk Pratt is ahead of him on the depth chart going into the season.

I'm not writing him off; I think he still has a lot of ability and a good upside. But he isn't moving the needle foward his offseasosn, and for someone in his situation, if you aren't moving forward, you're falling behind.

Last year, he had no competition - it was just him and Jordan Love, and everyone in the world knew who was starting Day One. There really wasn't any do-or-die pressure. Now that he's in a genuine competition, he's not really stepping up. Maybe he's spending too much time and ebergy on his enterprenurial sidelines; the sports agent and NIL agencies? He just doesn't seem as dialed in as he was last year.

Daniel Whelan had a good Day.
4 punts for a 55 average and 2 inside the 20. A 50 yarder placed perfectly just outside the 10 yard line, where he also drew a flag. Another one he did a nice fake (fell when his plant foot got barely touched) a 1st Down!

I agree, but it's a bittersweet day when you have to admit that one of your best skill players was the guy whose job it is to to salvage the best of your offense's inability to accomplish anything.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bunch of seasons ago, the Lions went undefeated in preseason. My Lions fan friend was convinced they turned the corner. The 49ers lost every preseason game. The Lions went win less while the 49ers won the SB and only lost 1 game the whole season.

Clearly we didn't try to win that game. The difference between a good starter and a marginal NFL player is narrower than many realize. It was disappointing that they didn't show better, but there were a few who looked good.

I was very tired and dozed off a few times. I watched Monk a few plays and he looked good. Evan williams looked really good. I think he will be a star. Pratt played well, but tough to judge without the starters. Hopper played with the aggression we need.

Otherwise, I didn't take away much. There will be some good tape though, to see how the B team held up on an individual basis despite being outmatched.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are Denver’s 1st team against our B team just fyi. Nix to Williams
Barton Singleton Browning on D all Denver Starters.
I heard the announcer say it doesn’t matter in evaluating. But it absolutely matters imo

Nice to see LB Hopper out there
Hopper was one of the few Packers to have a good game. 11 tackles I think. And he should play that way. He was picked in round three.

Other than that, and in spite of no starters playing, it was a lousy game by the backups. These guys should be motivated to play especially well and hard as they try to win a job. Very disappointed, especially with Clifford and Pratt.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bunch of seasons ago, the Lions went undefeated in preseason. My Lions fan friend was convinced they turned the corner. The 49ers lost every preseason game. The Lions went win less while the 49ers won the SB and only lost 1 game the whole season.

Clearly we didn't try to win that game. The difference between a good starter and a marginal NFL player is narrower than many realize. It was disappointing that they didn't show better, but there were a few who looked good.

I was very tired and dozed off a few times. I watched Monk a few plays and he looked good. Evan williams looked really good. I think he will be a star. Pratt played well, but tough to judge without the starters. Hopper played with the aggression we need.

Otherwise, I didn't take away much. There will be some good tape though, to see how the B team held up on an individual basis despite being outmatched.
Good summary Amish, thanks. Williams is surprising some people, and with Hopper's play, I expect a much-improved LB group.

But to your example, the pre-season usually doesn't mean much. Hope not after last night.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a hamstring (which You probably already knew, but just in case), and the official word is that he is expected to be ready to rock n roll in Rio. But you know how that goes. When it comes to injuries, the "official word" and the truth are often very loosely related to each other.

First of all, you never know with hamstrings, and second, even if he is fully recovered, 3 weeks from now he'll have missed a hell of a lot of pre-season snaps. He should have been piling up reps this month, getting his timing down, getting into a sunchronized rhythm with Love... learning how to read his blockers and anticipate how plays develop, and for that matter perfect his own blocking responsibilities on passing downs (because we need Love to still be upright and alive at the end of every weekend.)

Third, if you look closely at the injury updates, it appears that they initially either underdiagnosed the severity of the injury, or underreported it. It was initially reported as a Grade I in early August (exact date unspecified, but at least several days before the 10th), which would have meant a likely return to full status by this time.

Now they're saying they expect him to be up to speed in 2-3 weeks, which suggests that it either was greater than Grade I to begin with, or has worsened or been delayed. Which either way would mean there's no reiable way to guess where he's at it in his recovery. Remember Christian Watson a year ago, who went through a very similar situation and missed most of the season all told.

This double-whammy injury business (hip injury, then hamstring) has held him back, any way you look at it, and LaFleur is now letting it be known he's fustrated and disappointed - that at this stage of the preseason, he had really hoped Lloyd would be further along and the team was hoping they'd have had a better idea of where the guy they were counting on as their running back of the future actually stands. It's definitely becoming an issue, but hopefully doesn't turn into the same sort of scenario we saw with Watson a year ago.
It seems likely the RBs on the 53 will be Jacobs, Lloyd, and probably Wilson. Have to take a leap of faith with Lloyd. He was drafted as the next #1 RB. But yeah, a lot of time missed is not good.....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will preface this by saying I did not watch the game so take it for what its worth. I guess its disappointing but I don't expect much from the least important 3 hours of football in the entire year ( 2nd preseason game.) You've got guys who might be decent backups but they are playing with complete scrubs so sometimes they don't look so good. Put them in with your number 1s as an injury replacement and all of a sudden they look a lot better. When one guy is lost it can affect others. When your weakest link is the first guy off the bench he can look a whole lot better than when he is the best guy on the field. I think you get my point. Did the QBs look that bad or did it maybe have something to do with the fact that the best WR on the field is battling for the #5 spot. Of the 11 guys who had targets the two who I would say have the best chances to make the team are our #4RB and #3TE and the RBs chances hinge on the injury to Lloyd.

Just take a look at the 31 players who didn't even dress for the game. I think it was every one of our #1s and a few key backups. I know you want to see the guys who are playing play well but sometimes a pig is just a pig.

The worst part about this game is the fuel it will give Bears fans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying I did not watch the game so take it for what its worth. I guess its disappointing but I don't expect much from the least important 3 hours of football in the entire year ( 2nd preseason game.) You've got guys who might be decent backups but they are playing with complete scrubs so sometimes they don't look so good. Put them in with your number 1s as an injury replacement and all of a sudden they look a lot better. When one guy is lost it can affect others. When your weakest link is the first guy off the bench he can look a whole lot better than when he is the best guy on the field. I think you get my point. Did the QBs look that bad or did it maybe have something to do with the fact that the best WR on the field is battling for the #5 spot. Of the 11 guys who had targets the two who I would say have the best chances to make the team are our #4RB and #3TE and the RBs chances hinge on the injury to Lloyd.

Just take a look at the 31 players who didn't even dress for the game. I think it was every one of our #1s and a few key backups. I know you want to see the guys who are playing play well but sometimes a pig is just a pig
This is exactly why I don't watch PS games. First of all, I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. Coaches are trying to find a reason to keep/cut a guy and that leaves some strange combo of players on the field - and to your point that a sub will look a lot better surrounded by starters.

So like every other PS game, this gets a big yawn from me.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire team looked slow all night. They were constantly a step behind and chasing. When the Packers travel across time zones, thus is how they usually look. Nobody made what I thought was a stand out play. In the NFL the drop off to the second string is steep.

Back up o line is not good. Like I said previously, any injuries to the starters and the season will be derailed. This is exactly the test against no 1's that you need to evaluate them. Both Telfort and Dillard were pushed too far back into the pocket and were manhandled in the run game. Please cut Newman for crying out load.

I've seen enough of Clifford. I'd put Pratt on the practice squad and sign a veteran qb#2. Both Pratt and Clifford aren't ready.

The kicking situation doesn't inspire any confidence.

While I think the Packers top 25 players are as good as any other team, the lack of depth really showed. 2nd and 3rd string o line WR's, RB's, LB's and DB's were especially bad.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only real value in the preseason is to evaluate depth. It has almost no predictive value to the regular season unless a team has a lot of injuries. Playing the 2's vs another team's #1's is the perfect situation to evaluate depth since that's exactly who back ups play when they have to replace a starter.

The Broncos did the Packers a big service by playing their first string. The Packers were able to get a real read on the quality of their depth last night.

Reaction score
Hopper was one of the few Packers to have a good game. 11 tackles I think. And he should play that way. He was picked in round three.

Other than that, and in spite of no starters playing, it was a lousy game by the backups. These guys should be motivated to play especially well and hard as they try to win a job. Very disappointed, especially with Clifford and Pratt.
Yes it was. The thing that really jumped off the page for me was a play on 3rd down where Ty’ron Hopper shot up the middle and hit the Denver RB head on at the LOS. He looked big and fast on film and when he hit that hole that RB didn’t get a yard. I mean he hit that hole determined to not let him gain an inch. He looked exceptionally quick to diagnose and be the aggressor like he was waiting for that gap
I know it can be argued it was just a iLB doing his job. But that play was one of my top 3 of the night. It was consecutive stops by him alone. It also forced a punt.

Our CB’s played soft and gave up lots underneath. I had to look to see if there was a CB on the field at times guys were so open

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it was. The thing that really jumped off the page for me was a play on 3rd down where Ty’ron Hopper shot up the middle and hit the Denver RB head on at the LOS. He looked big and fast on film and when he hit that hole that RB didn’t get a yard. I mean he hit that hole determined to not let him gain an inch. He looked exceptionally quick to diagnose and be the aggressor like he was waiting for that gap
I know it can be argued it was just a iLB doing his job. But that play was one of my top 3 of the night. It was consecutive stops by him alone. It also forced a punt.

Our CB’s played soft and gave up lots underneath. I had to look to see if there was a CB on the field at times guys were so open
Doesn't that go against everything we've heard about Haffleys defense? I'm not sure what there would he to gain by him going against the grain like that, misdirection perhaps? Maybe defenders trying not to get beat deep for a big play which might look worse?

If the starters do that in Brazil I'll be concerned

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't that go against everything we've heard about Haffleys defense? I'm not sure what there would he to gain by him going against the grain like that, misdirection perhaps? Maybe defenders trying not to get beat deep for a big play which might look worse?

If the starters do that in Brazil I'll be concerned
One of the biggest complaints about Joe Barry's D was the soft coverage of the CBs. This was one PS game and one observation so I don't think it's a cause for concern. It certainly will be a cause of concern if the starters play that way, but still unlikely.

Members online