2023 Division round at the SF

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For starters, they lost to a red hot Cousins led Vikings team. Before his injury.
Clearly you didn't watch any Vikings games beyond the one versus the 49ers. The Vikings were never hot this season, and Cousins was good but as sloppy as the rest of his team. They fumbled and threw interceptions at a historic rate in the first half of the season. That only slowed once Cousins tore his Achilles. You beat a 2-4 team that hadn't won by more than 8 points. You can't inflate strength of schedule on the internet and expect not to be called on it.

BTW - I've watched nearly ever Vikings game since I moved here in 1994. I watched all of them this season, including the two when they played at the same time as Green Bay.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave my honest opinion. Are honest opinions not allowed on a Packers message board. That’s how you do things here?

Congrats. I've watched every Packers game for even longer than that. Since I have the NFL ticket, I even watched four 49ers games this season, and several last season. Most fans know that the 49ers have been probably the strongest team in the NFC this season. However, if you've watched three decades of football then you know, well, it all kind of goes out the window in the playoffs.

I still expect the 49ers to win, as I expected the Cowboys to win last week, but I know that there is hope!

First off, let's not forget that the 49ers went slumming in Weeks 6-8 and lost 2 of it's last three. Team of destiny might have been the 2007 Patriots who were undefeated. However, that scrappy team from New York went down to Tampa and beat the Bucs. Then they went to Dallas and knocked off 13-3 Cowboys, also thought of as a team of destiny that season. Then they went to frozen Lambeau when the gametime kickoff was -1 degree (before the windchill) and beat the 13-3 Packers, who had a resurgent Brett Favre playing at an MVP level. Finally they knocked off the Patriots to end the perfect season. So teams of destiny and the 'better' team in the regular season doesn't mean much when scrappy teams on a hot streak come along in the playoffs.

So your stats and "team of destiny" don't mean much, except who is expected to win. I like Shanahan and am impressed at how the defense has carried on even after Robert Saleh left. However, your team has been idle for several weeks while Green Bay has the hot hand. San Francisco better have top notch nickel and dime CBs out on the field to deal with all of our pass catchers. Kittle and Deebo will do their damage to us. I expect that McCaffrey will shine as usual. I also expected CeeDee Lamb and the boys to do that last week. So the best that we all can say is..."Who knows."
Well, if Steve Wilkes game plan is to play soft then I expect Love to pad the stats. He likes to wait until the opposing teams are in the red zone before he tightens up the defense.
The 49ers have a better roster on defense this year than in years past. It’s the scheme and DC that hold them back. Maybe Wilkes throws the Saleh or Demeco Ryan’s playbook at you guys and lets his players go off. We’ll see.
A couple of weeks rest helps this team more than hurts. They will be ready.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I gave my honest opinion. Are honest opinions not allowed on a Packers message board? You want me to lie? That would be disingenuous. That’s how you do things here? I even said I hate the Niners defense lol. What more do you want?
I could care less about ruffling feathers.
Go play the victim card somewhere else. After reading the post below, my comments to you don't change.

I was wondering how long it would take for an in over your head poster to comment. You seriously think Green Bay is on the same level as the 49ers? You beat up a Dallas team that would fold against a team like the Giants which btw embarrassed you guys not so long ago. All of a sudden the Packers are the 49ers! I’m not even going to comment on you comparing your players to ours LOL.
Give me your prediction.
Here’s mine. 38-20 SF over GB
Then we’ll meet here in a few days and see who was right.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I think that this thread title is disrespectful. I make an except for childish banter only when we play the Bears!

Call me old man shouting at the clouds, but I usually roll my eyes hard at 'cute' name play. Queens, Whiners, Sea chickens, calling Gute Gluten and other word play.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

You think you guys are due...try having been us for the last decade....if any fanbase can relate it is us. You guys finished 4th in your division 4 times in last decade, 3rd three times....we've finished last never in ours, and third three times. We've been in playoffs 7 of the ten...you guys just 4 times.

Clearly you didn't watch any Vikings games beyond the one versus the 49ers. The Vikings were never hot this season, and Cousins was good but as sloppy as the rest of his team. They fumbled and threw interceptions at a historic rate in the first half of the season. That only slowed once Cousins tore his Achilles. You beat a 2-4 team that hadn't won by more than 8 points. You can't inflate strength of schedule on the internet and expect not to be called on it.

BTW - I've watched nearly ever Vikings game since I moved here in 1994. I watched all of them this season, including the two when they played at the same time as Green Bay.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And now they're playing against a white-hot Love-led Packer team. He has been better over the past 9 weeks than either of those guys have been over ANY 9 week stretch of their careers.

Believe me, we know all about that one. Swap for Joe Barry?

Dallas statistically about the same pass rush as SF. You guys had 2 more sacks than them but they had a QB pressure % of 21.3%. SF is at 20.9%. BTW, ours is 24.3%

Yet they allow 4.1 ypc.

Actually our pass rush caused a lot of those poorly thrown balls, not the fact that he was throwing at Lamb. He's been doing that all year.

Jones as a runner. Jones as a receiver. Reed as a receiver. Reed as a runner. Musgrave AND Kraft as receivers. Musgrave and Kraft as blockers. Watson as a deep threat. Watson pulling coverage away from other receivers. Romeo winning jump balls. You think we don't have weapons?
And now they're playing against a white-hot Love-led Packer team. He has been better over the past 9 weeks than either of those guys have been over ANY 9 week stretch of their careers.

Believe me, we know all about that one. Swap for Joe Barry?

Dallas statistically about the same pass rush as SF. You guys had 2 more sacks than them but they had a QB pressure % of 21.3%. SF is at 20.9%. BTW, ours is 24.3%

Yet they allow 4.1 ypc.

Actually our pass rush caused a lot of those poorly thrown balls, not the fact that he was throwing at Lamb. He's been doing that all year.

Jones as a runner. Jones as a receiver. Reed as a receiver. Reed as a runner. Musgrave AND Kraft as receivers. Musgrave and Kraft as blockers. Watson as a deep threat. Watson pulling coverage away from other receivers. Romeo winning jump balls. You think we don't have weapons?
no like SF. Comparing the two is silly. Only a Packer fan would do that.
Not like SF. Comparing the two is silly. Only a Packer fan would do that.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me old man shouting at the clouds, but I usually roll my eyes hard at 'cute' name play. Queens, Whiners, Sea chickens, calling Gute Gluten and other word play.
What about Cowpies, Aints, Chefs, Bungles, Iggles, Patsies, Bores/Bares, Kitties, and Brownies?

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Animal mother please take a chill pill. You wouldn't want one of us to come into your house and start with hostile smack talk.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Niner fans are going to believe their team is gonna win Packer fans are gonna believe their team is gonna win. Stop the stupid arguing stop the stupid name calling see how it plays out and then go on from there.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to the serious topic. If you were Bill Belichik gearing up for this game, whom would be the one offensive weapon that you would try to take away from each team?

If it were me the answer for San Francisco is to focus on Aaron Jones. I'm not sure that there is a pass-catcher on the Packers that is more dangerous than the other. Therefore, taking any one of them away is like whack-a-mole.

For Green Bay I was tempted to say Christian McCaffree since he had 43, 44, and 54 yards in their Week 6-8 losses. Otherwise he averages around 100yds in their wins. However, I really think that Kittle remains the heart and soul of that offense. The Ravens picked off Purdy five times. I'm not sure that we'll get him to play that badly, but it doesn't hurt to try!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to the serious topic. If you were Bill Belichik gearing up for this game, whom would be the one offensive weapon that you would try to take away from each team?

If it were me the answer for San Francisco is to focus on Aaron Jones. I'm not sure that there is a pass-catcher on the Packers that is more dangerous than the other. Therefore, taking any one of them away is like whack-a-mole.

For Green Bay I was tempted to say Christian McCaffree since he had 43, 44, and 54 yards in their Week 6-8 losses. Otherwise he averages around 100yds in their wins. However, I really think that Kittle remains the heart and soul of that offense. The Ravens picked off Purdy five times. I'm not sure that we'll get him to play that badly, but it doesn't hurt to try!
Dang. I was going to say Jones and Kittle too. I guess I'll go with Doubs and CMC then.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As you stated, McCaffrey and Jones seem like the obvious answer. Although, usually the 49ers eliminate the RB by scoring alot. From a YPC average their run defense doesn't seem like the greatest so, they could eliminate Jones from a scheme standpoint or just doing what they do.

Not sure the Packers scoring alot or getting ahead would take McCaffrey out given his importance to the passing game so, trying remove him is going to be purely scheme.

Members online