2023 Division round at the SF

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting
This "any given sunday" thing has shown me how different views can come from the same statement. I agree there is a hidden implication of superiority in there but I never looked at it that way, as if it was a snub, though I can see how you could say that, and I also never took it to be an outspoken statement directed at one team from another.
My view was that it was just a generally accepted belief in the NFL
similar to the "trap game" idea and that it was more of an internal warning for members of a superior team( on paper) that you could end up with a butt whupping if you don't watch your step.
Interesting....
This "any given sunday" thing has shown me how different views can come from the same statement. I agree there is a hidden implication of superiority in there but I never looked at it that way, as if it was a snub, though I can see how you could say that, and I also never took it to be an outspoken statement directed at one team from another.
My view was that it was just a generally accepted belief in the NFL
similar to the "trap game" idea and that it was more of an internal reminder or warning for members of a superior team( on paper) that you could end up with a butt whupping if you don't watch your step.
Ive always equated "Any given Sunday" with "Even a blind squirrel...". Each relies on a significant amount of luck and many things going your way. You don't say that when the 49ers play the Ravens. Both teams are very good and each has pretty much even chance to win. Once the playoffs start I would he very hesitant to use it but I would have been close to saying it last weekend vs the cowboys. This week, no way. I still think the 49ers are a better team and honestly I expect them to win but I think the Packers are capable of playing their own game well enough to win. Luck and a few bounces would certainly help but the Packers are good enough to create their own luck and bounces.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive always equated "Any given Sunday" with "Even a blind squirrel...". Each relies on a significant amount of luck and many things going your way. You don't say that when the 49ers play the Ravens. Both teams are very good and each has pretty much even chance to win. Once the playoffs start I would he very hesitant to use it but I would have been close to saying it last weekend vs the cowboys. This week, no way. I still think the 49ers are a better team and honestly I expect them to win but I think the Packers are capable of playing their own game well enough to win. Luck and a few bounces would certainly help but the Packers are good enough to create their own luck and bounces.
Yes... you hit the nail in the head. It doesn't apply when 2 good teams are going at it. It's only when one team is much better, but the best horse on paper doesn't always win, so be on your guard.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then again, when the absolute most trash defense in football holds them to 27, why, specifically, do you not believe it to be possible for us to hold them under 35, especially on a rainy day on a wet field? I'm not saying you might not be right, but what is the rationale?

I'd look back up through posts, I may have informed you deebo wasn't present for a couple games in fairness but I never claimed we couldn't hold them under 35

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Packer fans,
After reading many of the forum post the past week I must say a lot of you have not watched much 49ers football this year. Obviously, you are all Packer fans and don’t expect you to.
I have watched every 49er game since 1992. This season has been one of the best I have ever witnessed. That feeling you guys had after clobbering Dallas, Niner fans have felt that nearly every week of the season. This is truly a team of destiny and they are hungry.
With all that being said, I’m not coming here to guarantee victory. GB has a shot of course. There are ways to beat any team in the NFL.
But, they are not the Dallas Cowboys.
I’m seeing a lot of projections in the high 30s with GB winning.
38-35 Packers. No, that will not happen. That is the game SF plays. If the Packers win, it will be a much lower scoring game. 23-17 ish
You will need to stop McCaffery. If he starts running all over you guys, it’s over.
Keep the 49ers from scoring early and often. Or it’s lights out.
The 49ers can score REALLY fast.
In the blink of an eye they could put 21 points up. The are capable of scoring on EVERY drive. Field goals and TDs.
You would need to match that if it does happen.
The way to beat Purdy isn’t as easy as blitzing every down. Any team can do that. It goes beyond just pressuring Purdy. You need to give him no time to throw. Im not talking about the pocket breaking down pressure. I’m talking 2 seconds or less. Don’t even give him time to be in a pocket. Throw off his rhythm and timing. Plain old collapsing a pocket isn’t going to work. He avoids. He improvises. He will dice you up. It needs to be at the snap. Pressure up the middle right in his face. Only a couple of teams in the league are capable of this. Like I said, if it were that easy, every team would be doing this. But that is how you stop Purdy. And that is how you beat SF.

Good Luck,
Pay Love, he’s the real deal.

SF 38
GB 20

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd look back up through posts, I may have informed you deebo wasn't present for a couple games in fairness but I never claimed we couldn't hold them under 35
Damn, I'm usually pretty good at tracking when other people interject comments. Post deleted.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Packer fans,
After reading many of the forum post the past week I must say a lot of you have not watched much 49ers football this year. Obviously, you are all Packer fans and don’t expect you to.
I have watched every 49er game since 1992. This season has been one of the best I have ever witnessed. That feeling you guys had after clobbering Dallas, Niner fans have felt that nearly every week of the season. This is truly a team of destiny and they are hungry.
With all that being said, I’m not coming here to guarantee victory. GB has a shot of course. There are ways to beat any team in the NFL.
38-35 Packers. No, that will not happen. That is the game SF plays. If the Packers win, it will be a much lower scoring game. 23-17 ish
You will need to stop McCaffery. If he starts running all over you guys, it’s over.
In the blink of an eye they could put 21 points up. The are capable of scoring on EVERY drive. Field goals and TDs.
The way to beat Purdy isn’t as easy as blitzing every down. Any team can do that. It goes beyond just pressuring Purdy. You need to give him no time to throw. Im not talking about the pocket breaking down pressure. I’m talking 2 seconds or less. Don’t even give him time to be in a pocket. Throw off his rhythm and timing. Plain old collapsing a pocket isn’t going to work. He avoids. He improvises. He will dice you up. It needs to be at the snap. Pressure up the middle right in his face. Only a couple of teams in the league are capable of this. Like I said, if it were that easy, every team would be doing this. But that is how you stop Purdy. And that is how you beat SF.

Good Luck,

SF 38
GB 20

Welcome...personally I don't envision either team hitting thirty and I do think that is just one thing that helps GB. I haven't settled on a prediction, but I don't think anyone wins this game by double digits unless garbage score does it. I also do believe Niners are the better team - I just need Packers to be the better one Saturday night which is quite possible.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all that being said, I’m not coming here to guarantee victory. GB has a shot of course.

LOL How gracious of you.

There are ways to beat any team in the NFL.

And neither are the Packers. Go on...

Ditto with Jones.

Again, DITTO. Our offense just put up 41 points in 49 plays. That's a playoff record for points per play, BTW.

Thanks for the advice.

Good Luck,
You don't say....

Now, on the off chance that this isn't simply a hit-and-run post, I will tell you right now that your defense is not as good as defenses of past. They have never seen an offense like what ours has become. Most teams have 1 or 2 dominating receivers that if they get shut down, the entire offense crumbles. That's not the Packers. In 35 years, I've never seen an offense this balanced across the board, at least not in the NFL. There is no one guy to key on. You can't break it by shutting one or two guys down. EVERY SINGLE receiver on this team runs disciplined routes and they all have very reliable hands. Pair that with an efficient running attack and I want you to explain to me how SF will defend that. You say put pressure on Love? He doesn't flinch. He doesn't panic. And he throws extremely well off-platform. And before you even think about that, you have to stop AJ33. You want to put and extra man in the box against him? Then watch Love put on a show. You mentioned not watching SF play this year. Seems you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in Green Bay since October.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest forecast for Sat night in SF:

Sat 20 | Night​

53°

74%
SSE9 mph
Periods of rain. Low 53F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
I can think of 2 mudder games by the Bay when we faced the 9ers: 1960, a crucial late season Saturday afternoon national audience game. 13-0 Packers. Great defense and Hornung scored all 13.
Then the 1997 NFC Championship. 23-10. Again our D shutdown Young and Rice. Dorsey had a strong running game.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome...personally I don't envision either team hitting thirty and I do think that is just one thing that helps GB. I haven't settled on a prediction, but I don't think anyone wins this game by double digits unless garbage score does it. I also do believe Niners are the better team - I just need Packers to be the better one Saturday night which is quite possible.

LOL How gracious of you.

And neither are the Packers. Go on...

Ditto with Jones.

Again, DITTO. Our offense just put up 41 points in 49 plays. That's a playoff record for points per play, BTW.

Thanks for the advice.

You don't say....

Now, on the off chance that this isn't simply a hit-and-run post, I will tell you right now that your defense is not as good as defenses of past. They have never seen an offense like what ours has become. Most teams have 1 or 2 dominating receivers that if they get shut down, the entire offense crumbles. That's not the Packers. In 35 years, I've never seen an offense this balanced across the board, at least not in the NFL. There is no one guy to key on. You can't break it by shutting one or two guys down. EVERY SINGLE receiver on this team runs disciplined routes and they all have very reliable hands. Pair that with an efficient running attack and I want you to explain to me how SF will defend that. You say put pressure on Love? He doesn't flinch. He doesn't panic. And he throws extremely well off-platform. And before you even think about that, you have to stop AJ33. You want to put and extra man in the box against him? Then watch Love put on a show. You mentioned not watching SF play this year. Seems you haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in Green Bay since October.
I was wondering how long it would take for an in over your head poster to comment. You seriously think Green Bay is on the same level as the 49ers? You beat up a Dallas team that would fold against a team like the Giants which btw embarrassed you guys not so long ago. All of a sudden the Packers are the 49ers! I’m not even going to comment on you comparing your players to ours LOL.
Give me your prediction.
Here’s mine. 38-20 SF over GB
Then we’ll meet here in a few days and see who was right.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL graveyard is littered with the dead teams of destiny that didn't pan out the 2011 Packers being one of them.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The 2011 Packers team was 15-1, but they had the worst defense in the league that year. Not really surprising they flamed out in the divisional round.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take for an in over your head poster to comment. You seriously think you are on the 49ers level? You beat up a Dallas team that would fold against a team like the Giants which btw embarrassed you guys not so long ago.

We lost on a last second FG. You guys lost back-to-back games against non-playoff teams which both held you to 17 points.

<bull$hit snipped>
So you have absolutely no answer as to how your defense will stop our offense? Just as I thought. You're not here to actually debate the merits of the game, you're just trolling.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2011 Packers team was 15-1, but they had the worst defense in the league that year. Not really surprising they flamed out in the divisional round.

Regardless I'm sure there were plenty of people that believe a SB appearance and win was a Fait Accompli back then just as sure as I'm sure there are a significant number of Lions fans that believe they are the team of destiny this year. The proverbial 'This is our year' that many playoff team fans go through.

Like Broken stated, team of destiny/hungry is just emotional fan based logic that can't be quantified by anything.

Amazing how fast the narrative for the GB-Dallas game has spun from 'How the heck did that happen' to 'Well... Dallas stinks so this isn't surprising'

Last edited:

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost on a last second FG. You guys lost back-to-back games against non-playoff teams which both held you to 17 points.

So you have absolutely no answer as to how your defense will stop our offense? Just as I thought. You're not here to actually debate the merits of the game, you're just trolling.
For starters, they lost to a red hot Cousins led Vikings team. Before his injury.
Then they lost to a red hot Burrow lead Bengals team, before his injury.
Whether they made playoffs or not is irrelevant.
I’m def not trolling. If anything my original post was pro Packers. I told you how Green Bay can win the game.

The 49ers defense …..
They play bend don’t break. It has worked surprisingly well this season.

I hate it.
Ask any Niners fan. We want Steve Wilkes gone.
Bend don’t break keeps teams in games. That stuff makes me nervous.

The 49ers have a great pass rush.
They also force a lot of turnovers.
You mentioned Aaron Jones.
I’ll mention Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Arik Armstead and Javon Hargrave. Good luck with Jones.

Dallas has no linebackers or interior DL. SF does. The best in the business too.

Dallas and Dak revolve around Cee Dee Lamb. You saw how Prescott keep trying to force feed Lamb. It led to INTs and poorly thrown balls.
49ers have multiple weapons and ways to beat you with those weapons. McCaffery as a runner. McCaffery as a receiver. Deebo as a receiver, Deebo as a runner. Kittle as a receiver, Kittle as a blocker. I can go on and on.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless I'm sure there were plenty of people that believe a SB appearance and win was a Fait Accompli back then just as sure as I'm sure there are a significant number of Lions fans that believe they are the team of destiny this year. The proverbial 'This is our year' that many playoff team fans go through.

Like Broken stated, team of destiny/hungry is just emotional fan based logic that can't be quantified by anything.

Amazing how fast the narrative for the GB-Dallas game has spun from 'How the heck did that happen' to 'Well... Dallas stinks so this isn't surprising'
I didn’t mean team of destiny like that. Wrong choice of words. More like they are due. They’ve been sniffing around winning a SB for a long time now. This is the best shot to be their year.
Much like Andy Reid was due to win it all and he did vs SF in 2019. I feel that way about Shanahan and company.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t mean team of destiny like that. Wrong choice of words. More like they are due. They’ve been sniffing around winning a SB for a long time now. This is the best shot to be their year.
Much like Andy Reid was due to win it all and he did vs SF in 2019. I feel that way about Shanahan and company.
LOL

You think you guys are due...try having been us for the last decade....if any fanbase can relate it is us. You guys finished 4th in your division 4 times in last decade, 3rd three times....we've finished last never in ours, and third three times. We've been in playoffs 7 of the ten...you guys just 4 times.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take for an in over your head poster to comment. You seriously think Green Bay is on the same level as the 49ers? You beat up a Dallas team that would fold against a team like the Giants which btw embarrassed you guys not so long ago. All of a sudden the Packers are the 49ers! I’m not even going to comment on you comparing your players to ours LOL.
Give me your prediction.
Here’s mine. 38-20 SF over GB
Then we’ll meet here in a few days and see who was right.
Why even come over to a Packer forum if all you want to do is say "Good luck, but our team is much better than yours and we will win by 18, please stop trying to compare your team to our great 49'ers".

Sounds like a pretty disingenuous attempt at trying to sound like a level headed fan to me. In reality you just came over to see how much attention you could get or who's feathers would get ruffled.

Good luck on Saturday, you will need it, win or lose.

Animal_Mother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why even come over to a Packer forum if all you want to do is say "Good luck, but our team is much better than yours and we will win by 18, please stop trying to compare your team to our great 49'ers".

Sounds like a pretty disingenuous attempt at trying to sound like a level headed fan to me. In reality you just came over to see how much attention you could get or who's feathers would get ruffled.

Good luck on Saturday, you will need it, win or lose.
I gave my honest opinion. Are honest opinions not allowed on a Packers message board? You want me to lie? That would be disingenuous. That’s how you do things here? I even said I hate the Niners defense lol. What more do you want?
I could care less about ruffling feathers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched every 49er game since 1992.
Congrats. I've watched every Packers game for even longer than that. Since I have the NFL ticket, I even watched four 49ers games this season, and several last season. Most fans know that the 49ers have been probably the strongest team in the NFC this season. However, if you've watched three decades of football then you know, well, it all kind of goes out the window in the playoffs.

I still expect the 49ers to win, as I expected the Cowboys to win last week, but I know that there is hope!

First off, let's not forget that the 49ers went slumming in Weeks 6-8 and lost 2 of it's last three. Team of destiny might have been the 2007 Patriots who were undefeated. However, that scrappy team from New York went down to Tampa and beat the Bucs. Then they went to Dallas and knocked off 13-3 Cowboys, also thought of as a team of destiny that season. Then they went to frozen Lambeau when the gametime kickoff was -1 degree (before the windchill) and beat the 13-3 Packers, who had a resurgent Brett Favre playing at an MVP level. Finally they knocked off the Patriots to end the perfect season. So teams of destiny and the 'better' team in the regular season doesn't mean much when scrappy teams on a hot streak come along in the playoffs.

So your stats and "team of destiny" don't mean much, except who is expected to win. I like Shanahan and am impressed at how the defense has carried on even after Robert Saleh left. However, your team has been idle for several weeks while Green Bay has the hot hand. San Francisco better have top notch nickel and dime CBs out on the field to deal with all of our pass catchers. Kittle and Deebo will do their damage to us. I expect that McCaffrey will shine as usual. I also expected CeeDee Lamb and the boys to do that last week. So the best that we all can say is..."Who knows."

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For starters, they lost to a red hot Cousins led Vikings team. Before his injury.
Then they lost to a red hot Burrow lead team, before his injury.

And now they're playing against a white-hot Love-led Packer team. He has been better over the past 9 weeks than either of those guys have been over ANY 9 week stretch of their careers.

The 49ers defense …..
They play bend don’t break. It has worked surprisingly well this season.

I hate it.
Ask any Niners fan. We want Steve Wilkes gone.
Bend don’t break keeps teams in games. That stuff makes me nervous.

Believe me, we know all about that one. Swap for Joe Barry?

The 49ers have a great pass rush.
They also force a lot of turnovers.

Dallas statistically about the same pass rush as SF. You guys had 2 more sacks than them but they had a QB pressure % of 21.3%. SF is at 20.9%. BTW, ours is 24.3%

You mentioned Aaron Jones.
I’ll mention Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Arik Armstead and Javon Hargrave. Good luck with Jones.

Yet they allow 4.1 ypc.

Dallas has no linebackers or interior DL. SF does. The best in the business too.

Dallas and Dak revolve around Cee Dee Lamb. You saw how Prescott keep trying to force feed Lamb. It led to INTs and poorly thrown balls.
Actually our pass rush caused a lot of those poorly thrown balls, not the fact that he was throwing at Lamb. He's been doing that all year.
49ers have multiple weapons and ways to beat you with those weapons. McCaffery as a runner. McCaffery as a receiver. Deebo as a receiver, Deebo as a runner. Kittle as a receiver, Kittle as a blocker. I can go on and on.
Jones as a runner. Jones as a receiver. Reed as a receiver. Reed as a runner. Musgrave AND Kraft as receivers. Musgrave and Kraft as blockers. Watson as a deep threat. Watson pulling coverage away from other receivers. Romeo winning jump balls. You think we don't have weapons?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, I think that this thread title is disrespectful. I make an except for childish banter only when we play the Bears!

Members online

Latest posts