2023 Division round at the SF

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Latest forecast for Sat night in SF:

Sat 20 | Night​

53°

74%
SSE9 mph
Periods of rain. Low 53F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always hated to have a bye and then come back against a hot team. Some of those guys on their team haven't played for 3 weeks. They'll need to come back sharp from the start, because I know we will. I think first team to score unanswered wins this thing. Usually I have a pretty decent intuition about games but on this thing I got nothing. With all the rain this weekend I just don't know who it benefits. I think both teams can run in it but the passing game will be question mark. I do know Love's hands are about 1.5" bigger than Purdy's. When you're playing with a wet ball that can make a big difference. So I kind of feel like rain may favor us. We'll see soon enough.
Before the Dallas game I thought we had a good chance but never expected such a blowout. That was a big surprise.
For SF game I am kind of riding the wave of the packers upsurge the past several weeks. They just seem to be improving each week and gelling at the right time. I don't see us putting up that many points again, but I have faith that Love will get us enough to win it if we can get another balanced performance on both sides of the ball.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB's D can hold SF under 35, so the O will need to carry the team to a nailbiter win. Packers 37, 9'ers 35.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest forecast for Sat night in SF:

Sat 20 | Night​

53°

74%
SSE9 mph
Periods of rain. Low 53F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
Hmmm... weather forcast for a rainy day. I hate those kind of games.
Wet hands, slick ball, dropped passes, lost fumbles.
As broken arrow said I dont know who that favors.
We can only hope we are not as sloppy as the other team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have their work cut out for them and McAfferty could really ruin our plans. I think Love will move the offense well enough to win. So the question comes down to defense. Does the new look defense maintain their recent level of performance? I'm hoping they do and they make things bad for Purdy. Packers 26 49ers 23.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB's D can hold SF under 35, so the O will need to carry the team to a nailbiter win. Packers 37, 9'ers 35.
Why can we not hold them under 35? The absolute worst defense in the league held them to 27 in week 17. The Vikings and Bengals held them to 17. If we play anything like last week, we can absolutely hold them under 25 IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, it is a bit scary to look at that 49'er offense and know that they are very capable of putting up 30-40 points quite easily. They did it 8 times this year and in 3 other games, they put up 27/28 points.

Then again, Dallas lead the NFL in points scored (509) and look at what our defense did to them on Sunday. 49'ers were 2nd in the NFL with 491 points.

When you look at the 2 teams defenses, SF was a bit stingier with 298 points given up to Dallas's 315.

All that said. 2 different teams, 2 different fields, opponents, etc. So really who knows. Bottom line, the Packers are going to have to be at their best, play as well as they did on Sunday and once again, come out on top in the turnovers to take care of business in California.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt that SF is the class of the NFC and pretty much everyone favors them to win for good reason.

The thing I don't get listening to all these talking heads is how they just assume the SF pass rush is going to get tons of pressure of Love and that's going to be the difference. First off, the 49ers are not a top 5 defense--top ten, yes, but on top of that they do not rank that highly in pass defense. They're middle of the pack in both overall pass defense and # of sacks (48). The same is true in terms of hurries, pressures, hits on the QB, etc. They are nowhere near the top. So how is it that these guys think they are going to get to Love staying home on the blitz and only rushing 4 down lineman? I'll take that bet any day given how much poise JL has shown against some pretty good defenses over the last 9 games.

Their run defense is stellar. That will be the tough part. If the Pack can get some kind of run game going that'll be huge.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt that SF is the class of the NFC and pretty much everyone favors them to win for good reason.

The thing I don't get listening to all these talking heads is how they just assume the SF pass rush is going to get tons of pressure of Love and that's going to be the difference. First off, the 49ers are not a top 5 defense--top ten, yes, but on top of that they do not rank that highly in pass defense. They're middle of the pack in both overall pass defense and # of sacks (48). The same is true in terms of hurries, pressures, hits on the QB, etc. They are nowhere near the top. So how is it that these guys think they are going to get to Love staying home on the blitz and only rushing 4 down lineman? I'll take that bet any day given how much poise JL has shown against some pretty good defenses over the last 9 games.

Their run defense is stellar. That will be the tough part. If the Pack can get some kind of run game going that'll be huge.
Good job on that info. Especially since our offense is more pass based than run based.
Love has many targets that have proven they can get open just about any time. Plus Love has enough speed to extend plays if needed.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing that gets me is this constant refrain about how the Packers are a young inexperienced team that's just flying by the seat of their pants because they've never been here before. As if somehow the Packer players have no idea what playoff games are all about. Well they've effectively been in win-or-go-home playoff games the last two weeks and both times they took care of business like a team that is hungry.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their pass rush is a worry. They (especially Bosa) seem to turn it on when it's needed. We've done a good job at pass pro and need to look out for Bosa and continue what we've been doing. On defense, we have been doing much better at the passes in the flat. Definitely need to keep an eye on McCaffrey (and whoever else) and continue what we've been doing. They are gonna make some plays but don't just give them first downs with little passes in the flat. imho

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF could have 8 possessions in this game and score TDs on 7 of them. I do NOT trust Joe Barry's defense to stop the best RB in the NFL from running up and down the field at will. I hope it rains because SF's offense seems to do worse in the rain but the packers are going to need to start the game the same way they did against the Cowboys and keep the pressure on the SF offense to keep up because I like the packer's offense against the SF defense but the best offensive play caller in the NFL against the worst defensive coordinator is a touch frightening.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can we not hold them under 35? The absolute worst defense in the league held them to 27 in week 17. The Vikings and Bengals held them to 17. If we play anything like last week, we can absolutely hold them under 25 IMO.

To be fair Deebo for one was out the Cinci and Vikings games.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bosa to me is no better than Micah Parsons and I'd rate Parsons as a little better tbh. You can't ignore SF's pass rush but they aren't the cream of the crop either.

Defensing CMC is the biggest worry for me not just b/c of his running ability but for Purdy dumping it off to him in short passes and making big gains out of it. I wholeheartedly agree that Barry's defense cannot be trusted, although given the last few games there is some hope.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair Deebo for one was out the Cinci and Vikings games.
Okay, so then appears they are as dependent on him as the Cowboys were on Lamb. I still say we will hold them in the mid 20s, if for no other reason than limiting their opportunities. Our OL has been absolutely dominant in both running and pass blocking for a couple months now. We can sustain drives against good defenses if we need to. And I do think the rain will be favorable to us more than them. I haven't made a prediction yet due to the weather but I guess now is as good a time as any. I'm going with Packers 30, Whiners 24. Our offense is very unique and they haven't played an offense like ours.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a game we can't afford to get down early and allow the 49ers to start grinding away. It would not surprise me if we again receive to start the game if given the option and hope to jump out in front and grab momentum quickly.

I'll echo that I hope San Francisco doesn't take us seriously because that's our best chance. Our best bet is getting them on their heels quickly like we did with Dallas, when all of the sudden you're down 14-0 and panic sets in and it's too late to start taking the other team seriously.

I will add that, most teams/players/coaches always do and say the right things. I mean no one is ever going to come out and say, "Packers? Haha, next" or "we're already gameplanning for Detroit or Tampa". But SAYING you're taking someone seriously and actually taking them seriously are very different things. I'd agree that "any given Sunday" implies an inferior opponent and is pretty much just something you say to demonstrate a socially accepted bare minimum amount of respect for the opposition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another thing that gets me is this constant refrain about how the Packers are a young inexperienced team that's just flying by the seat of their pants because they've never been here before. As if somehow the Packer players have no idea what playoff games are all about. Well they've effectively been in win-or-go-home playoff games the last two weeks and both times they took care of business like a team that is hungry.
Yes and No.

No doubt that most of these players have played in high stakes games in their life. Whether it was in Pee Wee, H.S. or college. However, for a vast majority, Sundays game was their first NFL playoff game, a game where if they listened to the noise, they had no business being in.

Sure the Bears game was "win or go home", but it was also at home, against the Bears, who by most standards, are not that great of a team. Prior to the Bear game, they definitely improved their chances to make the playoffs with a win, but a loss didn't eliminate them.

Saturdays game will be the biggest NFL game that most of the Packer players have been in. The stakes are higher, the noise is getting louder and once again, it is win or go home. Let's hope the last 4 or 5 games has given them all thicker skins and motivation to play their best football.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I always hated to have a bye and then come back against a hot team. Some of those guys on their team haven't played for 3 weeks. They'll need to come back sharp from the start, because I know we will. I think first team to score unanswered wins this thing. Usually I have a pretty decent intuition about games but on this thing I got nothing. With all the rain this weekend I just don't know who it benefits. I think both teams can run in it but the passing game will be question mark. I do know Love's hands are about 1.5" bigger than Purdy's. When you're playing with a wet ball that can make a big difference. So I kind of feel like rain may favor us. We'll see soon enough.
I think Rain should slow the game down.
I’d expect rain also involved the short passing game more, So TE and RB’s should see more targets
Lastly 55 and rainy might offer better opportunity for a fumble or two.

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a game we can't afford to get down early and allow the 49ers to start grinding away. It would not surprise me if we again receive to start the game if given the option and hope to jump out in front and grab momentum quickly.

I'll echo that I hope San Francisco doesn't take us seriously because that's our best chance. Our best bet is getting them on their heels quickly like we did with Dallas, when all of the sudden you're down 14-0 and panic sets in and it's too late to start taking the other team seriously.

I will add that, most teams/players/coaches always do and say the right things. I mean no one is ever going to come out and say, "Packers? Haha, next" or "we're already gameplanning for Detroit or Tampa". But SAYING you're taking someone seriously and actually taking them seriously are very different things. I'd agree that "any given Sunday" implies an inferior opponent and is pretty much just something you say to demonstrate a socially accepted bare minimum amount of respect for the opposition.
Interesting
This "any given sunday" thing has shown me how different views can come from the same statement. I agree there is a hidden implication of superiority in there but I never looked at it that way, as if it was a snub, though I can see how you could say that, and I also never took it to be an outspoken statement directed at one team from another.
My view was that it was just a generally accepted belief in the NFL
similar to the "trap game" idea and that it was more of an internal warning for members of a superior team( on paper) that you could end up with a butt whupping if you don't watch your step.

Interesting....
This "any given sunday" thing has shown me how different views can come from the same statement. I agree there is a hidden implication of superiority in there but I never looked at it that way, as if it was a snub, though I can see how you could say that, and I also never took it to be an outspoken statement directed at one team from another.
My view was that it was just a generally accepted belief in the NFL
similar to the "trap game" idea and that it was more of an internal reminder or warning for members of a superior team( on paper) that you could end up with a butt whupping if you don't watch your step.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Devonte Wyatt is making guarantees, but based on incorrect information. Purdy has the highest rating in the NFL when pressured. Where'd he get that from - Joe Barry?

https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-dt-makes-easily-disproven-031655267.html
I do know that coming out of college Brocks’ scouting reports showed when he gets in his groove, he’s very consistent and kinda gets in a locked in zone of good performance. However when he gets rattled, he can make more mistakes than usual. When things are going well, he’s a beast. When things aren’t going well it gets in his head a little more. Jordan is almost the antithesis of that. Jordan has a short memory. He’ll take a Sack.. and then he’ll score or have a big play 2 plays later.

Pressures don’t always equal totally rattled to me anyway. Some QB’s just get the ball out quicker or use their feet to counter pressures at a higher level.

I think here..and in his scouting reports.. QB hits, Sacks, INT, fumbles are what they were referring to. He needs someone slapping him around a little more. Once he starts making mistakes he tends to stack them.

I don’t like smack talk from a player who has largely disappeared in games. Wyatt is a later Day 1 selection that has underperformed to expectation. Wyatt can silence me on that if he has a Sack, 2 QB hits or a FF/FR. Then I’ll listen to his smack. Until then he needs to express his Smack on the field in his on-field performance and keep his big mouth shut

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wyatt needs to just shut the f****** and play. Going to have a tough enough time with them without pissing them off.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I want to see on Saturday evening. I think the Packers have some mudders. This would help balance the speed factors.

Photo from the Daniel Kramer collection.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I will say Wyatt didn't need to run his mouth and provide them with bulletin board material that they didn't need. Especially when what he said was pretty silly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts