2023 Division round at the SF

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Cox is on the 52, so if he isn't declared inactive, we might get to see him. With only 4 healthy OLB's (Smith, Gary, LVN, Wilson) ahead of him on the depth chart, I see that now as a strong possibility.

I like the idea of Cox getting some playing time, just not sure if we will see that happen in the playoffs. I am sure that we will see more of Wilson out there. I do like your idea though of bringing him in on some obvious passing downs and unleash a hungry, fresh Cox on that Purdy QB. :coffee:
Yes
Imo I see Cox as that Karl Brooks version at DL, but a OLB version and one at the SEC level. Cox is very talented and productive. I distinctly recall Coach Smart speaking about Brenton as a true, old school football player.
Brenton is also not new to going into facing a “Top Dog” this isn’t his first rodeo.

Pay close attention to his FULL Junior season. 14.5 TFL is dominant. Very few players record anywhere near 15 TFL
(25% career TFL ratio)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes
Imo I see Cox as that Karl Brooks version at DL, but a OLB version and one at the SEC level. Cox is very talented and productive. I distinctly recall Coach Smart speaking about Brenton as a true, old school football player.
Brenton is also not new to going into facing a “Top Dog” this isn’t his first rodeo.

Pay close attention to his FULL Junior season. 14.5 TFL is very dominant at the SEC level. Very few players record anywhere near 15 TFL in a season at the SEC level
(25% TFL ratio)
No need to convince me about his potential. I was over the moon excited when the Packers snagged him as an UDFA. Guessing he has a lot of raw untapped talent and the coaches are bringing him along slowly.

His fresh legs and what I would have to assume as a huge amount of energy to get out there and show everyone what he has, could be a big plus in unleashing him. Also, I doubt there is a ton of film on him or that the 9'ers are spending much time talking about how to block him.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
No need to convince me about his potential. I was over the moon excited when the Packers snagged him as an UDFA. Guessing he has a lot of raw untapped talent and the coaches are bringing him along slowly.

His fresh legs and what I would have to assume as a huge amount of energy to get out there and show everyone what he has, could be a big plus in unleashing him. Also, I doubt there is a ton of film on him or that the 9'ers are spending much time talking about how to block him.
Oh I didn’t mean it that way. More to alleviate concerns that he might be some big drop off from JJ. Between Lukas and Gary gobbling up some snaps and possibly Cox Jr injected for the others, the dropoff (if any) will be minimal in the short term.
I do like Enagbare, so it’s not an indictment on him, He’s been a really good football player. I just think our depth at OLB is pretty stout.

Obviously it’s hard to say what we’ll get from a player in their first game. I liken it to a players 1st game coming back off injury or after not getting playing time. It takes a minute to get into a groove in this league. Hopefully Cox will be trying to get noticed and earn himself more playing time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I noticed that P Daniel Whelan was on the injury report as questionable (illness). Let's hope it isn't contagious and that the Packers have a backup punter ready in the wings! Better yet, let's hope that the Packers don't use a punter at all on Saturday!

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I noticed that P Daniel Whelan was on the injury report as questionable (illness). Let's hope it isn't contagious and that the Packers have a backup punter ready in the wings! Better yet, let's hope that the Packers don't use a punter at all on Saturday!
Yes. I hope he kicks this cold.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better yet, let's hope that the Packers don't use a punter at all on Saturday!

If they don't use a punter hopefully it is because they are scoring and not because they've turned it over 10 times or missed 10 4th down conversions. That would go in the 'Bad reasons that you didn't use your punter' category.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
If they don't use a punter hopefully it is because they are scoring and not because they've turned it over 10 times or missed 10 4th down conversions. That would go in the 'Bad reasons that you didn't use your punter' category.
How we settle on somewhere in between your two ideas.
5 seperate failed 4th downs in 49ers territory (1 being to burn the last 6 sec running backwards 20 yards!) and 5 XPM and a pair of FG’s.
Packers 41
49ers 21

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just hope his adrenaline doesn't keep him from containing the edge allowing Deabo or Mcafree huge runs outside.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How we settle on somewhere in between your two ideas.
5 seperate failed 4th downs in 49ers territory (1 being to burn the last 6 sec running backwards 20 yards!) and 5 XPM and a pair of FG’s.
Packers 41
49ers 21
I'll see your 5 XPM, pair of FG's and raise you 2 pick sixes, with 2 missed XP's!

Packers: 53
49'ers: 21

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just hope his adrenaline doesn't keep him from containing the edge allowing Deabo or Mcafree huge runs outside.
Agree and I think that would be the concern with putting him in, unless it is a pretty obvious passing down.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Yes. Ironically the 1 bad play in preseason I tried to disremember Cox had lost contain.:eek:
I'll see your 5 XPM, pair of FG's and raise you 2 pick sixes, with 2 missed XP's!

Packers: 53
49'ers: 21
Ok. I see. I raise yours and raise you a Safety. 55-21!
(Sliding My whole stack in with my forearm and no idea what I’m doing)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. Ironically the 1 bad play in preseason I tried to disremember Cox had lost contain.:eek:

Ok. I see. I raise yours and raise you a Safety. 55-21!
(Sliding My whole stack in with my forearm and no idea what I’m doing)
I'll be fine if your are correct, drinks are on you!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The addition of Chase Young has helped the SF pass rush, so it's not just Bosa. And Burks is not the point of comparison with Lawrence it's Fred Warner who is all pro this year. Plus they have Hufanga as 1st team all-pro safety. SF's defense is just good. No two ways about it.

Beating SF in SF is going to be tough. Unlike the Cowpokes they are not playoff chokers. Slowing down CMC will be tough. If JA can't go that will hurt. Aaron Jones needs to rip off some good runs.

Packers certainly can win. They have way more talent than ppl are giving them credit for. No QB is playing better than Love right now. Just b/c the receiving corps is a bunch of young no-names doesn't mean they aren't good. Doubs, Reed, Watson/Wicks, Musgrave/Kraft -- I'll take them over a lot of other teams. And the OL? they are solid. So this idea that SF is way more talented than GB may not be as true as all that.
The Pack have some talent and a great upside. They have surprised naysayers so far. What they do not have is experience. That should be a huge advantage for SF in the postseason as it should have been for Dallas. SF should have a coaching advantage as well. On paper this game should be one sided. But that is why they play the game. To win in SF we would need to stop the run which few teams have done to them at home. Then we would need at least 2 turnovers without turning it over ourselves. We cannot miss PATs or short FGs. It may be better to punt than miss a 55 yarder. And we cannot commit more than 5 accepted penalties. That is a tall order. But it is the one we must deliver.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay versus San Francisco

Lafleur vs Shanahan

Matt has to be smart and not be egotistical

In other words, don't get in another ****-measuring contest trying to prove who is the tough guy like in 2021

We run the same ****

I know the stats show that the 49ers are vulnerable against the run but my thinking tells me that SF does not want to have GB come in their stadium and win by doing what we did to Dallas because that would hurt their pride

Kyle been shadowing Wilks all week like he's the co-DC drilling the defense on the zone scheme run fits like it's training camp and they're going 1 vs 1 during team defensive periods

If I was a betting man I'd wager they emphasized their defense stopping the running game in practice more than anything, which is why Matt needs to break tendencies and break away from the McVanahan playbook enough to give his offense an advantage early in the game

First play the Packers should line up in 10 personnel-why?-cuz we don't hardly ever come out in that personnel so it is something the 49ers are not preparing for rn AND they're gonna anticipate GB will come out and try to start another battle for the line of scrimmage by running the rock; line up Doubs at split end on the left side Melton in the slot next to him Watson damn near next to the right tackle like a TE in the slot on the right Reed in the outside slot next to him then motion Aaron Jones to the far right past the numbers

Wilks will be confused as will the 49ers' base defense (let's be real it's a true 4-2-5) and I'd figure he will simply make a Tampa 2 call

Run double sail concepts on the outside but have Watson run like a seam post screaming right down the middle of the field and have Love fire a buckshot to him for what will surely be a huge gain

We challenge SF right away in the pass game/see if Fred has his running shoes on

Then we mix up 10 personnel runs with 5 wide receiver (not 11 personnel which is what we and most NFL teams do now which really doesn't threaten the upper echelon defenses with athletic LBs) empty formations running 90 series quick passing concepts in the first couple drives out of no-huddle going up-tempo

We wear down SF's defensive line and get points right away; then once they're loosened up we go back to 12/11 personnel and run outside zone with our play-action passing concepts off of that but we gotta hit that D with the shock and awe approach if we just try to go out to Santa Clara and go with the same gameplan we did with Dallas (which was punch them in the mouth and punk them then throw it over their safeties masquerading as ILBs' heads) we're asking for the same result we've had the last few times we've played them in the playoffs

The difference this year is we actually have the #2/3/4, etc. WRs to actually challenge the SF secondary

Matt needs to fully trust Jordan Love, give him 3-5 plays at the line of scrimmage to choose from, and let him pepper that defense and tire them out THEN you can run your McVanahan offense once they're woozy

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or a bunch of missed FGs. Sorry, someone had to say it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I just noticed this, both #1 seeds are playing tomorrow. So that means the #1 seed now gets 13 days rest, and goes up against a team that only gets 6 days to prepare. That's a big advantage. So how is it we were the #1 seed two years in a row and couldn't get out of the conference?
:mad::poop:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I just noticed this, both #1 seeds are playing tomorrow. So that means the #1 seed now gets 13 days rest, and goes up against a team that only gets 6 days to prepare. That's a big advantage. So how is it we were the #1 seed two years in a row and couldn't get out of the conference?
:mad::poop:
Because quite often, rest = rust.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the experts have been filtering in their predictions and so far unanimously pick the Whiners.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online