Would Saleh be a good hire?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I posted elsewhere. Robert Saleh was at the Packers practice today. The video showed him standing on the practice field sidelines, holding something like a chart or papers.

Nothing has been announced and maybe he was just in for a visit with his old friend MLF, but maybe the Packers are offering him a job?

If Hafley is cool with coaching with Saleh, I would be all over it. He has a great defensive mind and players seem to like him.

Thoughts?

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love that he's working on the offensive side....I mean, I'd still be nervous if I'm Hafley, lol. But it seems like a really good functional move to have a high-level sparring partner for LaFleur

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy crap!

It is official!

I would be happy with him as a floater with different positions on Defense, but also helping the O-Line. Put this guy wherever he can be the most help. I'm not sure he's above either Coordinator though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MLF stated this:

"Saleh has been hired to help on the offensive side of the ball, as he will attempt to reverse engineer defenses and provide insight to Jordan Love and company."

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am all for him working with the offense. He can study our offense and figure out how to stop it and MLF can preemptively avoid or plan the counter moves in the game plan.

I dont want Hafley to be bothered by his presence and wouldn't bring Saleh in if he wasn't okay with it. Hafley has done a very good job and you can see the defense playing better each week. He deserves to see this through without any interference from anyone.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I just wrote in another thread. It sounds like Saleh's roll is "fluid" as of now. Basically, no set plans, but he'll be back again tomorrow.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the hire.

Getting a defensive minded coach and giving feedback on how he would attack this offense would have good value. Always good on getting a second pair of eyes on how they would attack this offense.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He will almost certainly get a DC position and maybe some HC consideration next season. He was just looking for something to occupy himself with until then.
I agree. I think this is a way for him to stay sharp, stay close to the game and possibly learn some things himself, while helping out a good friend. If Hafley wasn't doing such a good job, I would love to have Saleh as our DC, but why mess with a good thing.

I also like the fact that MLF was VERY CLEAR that Saleh was only there to help him and the offense and wouldn't be crossing over to the defense. He was very clear that he is super happy with what Hafley is doing and there's no need to have Saleh get involved there.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
With Salah added to the staff, along with the role they say he will play on the offensive side of the ball, his contributions should only help the team be better prepared for each weeks matchup. This is a huge win for the Packers moving forward.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saleh's lead Jet team also played against 2 future Packer opponents, the 49'ers and Vikings. I'm guessing that he is also pretty familiar with the Dolphins, a team the Packers face on Thanksgiving.

I hope this gig with the Packers lasts at least until the Super Bowl.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few thoughts....

First, this is obviously not a long term gig. I wouldn't expect him here any longer than the one season. As soon as we've played our last game, he's gone. But in that span of time, it probably means significantly better playoff seeding, better playoff performance, and possibly even make a difference in a Super Bowl. Huge win.

Second, this is another brilliant staffing move by Lafleur. This is a very rare (if niot unique) role on an NFL team; I'm not sure anyone's ever done this before. Laflaur continues to impress with his innovative mind and willingness to try new ideas - basically, he's the anti-McCarthy.

Finally... it's ironic that he finally ends up here. If Rodgers had gotten him fired a few months earlier, he probably would have gotten Hafley's job. No offense to Haff, but the search probably never would have gone past Saleh if he'd been fired at the end of 23, as some speculated he would be. Now, we have the best iof both worlds.

Oh, one more thing - Rodgers continues to be the ill wind that blows much good fortune our way. We absolutely took the Jets to town on this deal. We got the draft picks that gave us Lukas van Ness, Luke Musgrave, and Jacob Monk, and now we even got their freaking head coach for pete's sake.

Plus, we got rid of Rodgers and got Jordan Love instead.

Man... we cleaned up on this! :laugh:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more specialty coaches we have with that type experience the better. Also all 3 (Hafley, MLF, Saleh) have substantial ties together. We now have the former DC and DB coaches from the 49ers. I’m down with that
I'm just constantly impressed with the job Gute and Lafleur are doing to build an organization such as this one - I don't just mean a team, but a staff. Hafley, Vrable, and Clements are as good as anyone in the NFL at their respective positions, and probably better than most. And now Saleh, as basically a quality control consultant? This is turning into just a rock solid organization, and I think Lafleur has learned a ton from some of his earlier mistakes in staffing choices.

Edit: wtf is an "orgasmiozation"? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm just constantly impressed with the job Gute and Lafleur are doing to build an orgasmiozation such as this one - I don't just mean a team, but a staff. Hafley, Vrable, and Clements are as good as anyone in the NFL at their respective positions, and probably better than most. And now Saleh, as basically a quality control consultant? This is turning into just a rock solid organization, and I think Lafleur has learned a ton from some of his earlier mistakes in staffing choices.
You know there were some deep internal conversations about how they could use Saleh without stepping on Hafley in any way, shape or form.

If Saleh was foreign to all parties this doesn’t happen. The fact all 3 have actually worked together already and personal ties going back 20+ years? That just makes this compatible. I don’t think we have anything to worry about as far as Saleh and Hafley.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if Hafley picks Saleh’s brain on occasion in order to get information he can use to set his game plan. These 3 coaches are all stand up Professionals.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Saleh was at the Packer's practice today wearing packers gear. I quess next logical question would be does he get a Superbowl ring in Feburary too?... I would say he living good.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Saleh was at the Packer's practice today wearing packers gear. I quess next logical question would be does he get a Superbowl ring in Feburary too?... I would say he living good.
It would be kind of funny to see Saleh get a Super Bowl ring this year, and Rodgers not.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My totally unsubstantiated tin-foil hat theory:
They’re looking to get a “foot in the door” on Saleh. Hafley just came from the college game and while he was said to have left cuz of “changing landscape” and such (as I recall it), if his defense keeps on progressing as it has it wouldn’t be hugely surprising if a coach-needy top team makes him a HC offer. And the NIL landscape is very different between BC and a top SEC school or something…
So Hafley develops a great defense here with GB, gets a head coach offer at a big school and decides to take the opportunity. Saleh, who’s already in the picture as a “consultant” then steps right in to fill that vacancy. :p

(Not really serious, but who knows lol)

Members online